Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

I think polytheistic pagan religions were cooler and make more sense than there being just one god. But I don't believe in any of it and when I was growing up was only religious out of fear, but when I discovered it was optional to believe in it I immediately stopped.

When I was growing up, I had a weird relationship with religion because when I went to sunday school it just all seemed like a lot of neat little stories. Then my grandma told me God is everywhere and can see me all the time and that you're never alone and he's always watching you, forever. To this day I have a weird phobia of being watched at times that I don't want to be (I put electrical tape over webcams when they are not in use). I think she meant that to be comforting but I hated it, and couldn't stand the idea of being watched always. Then they also told me that God will snatch the breath out of you in an instant if you misbehave, and I thought that was pretty unfair. I also thought it was extremely unfair that there's a hell, and I couldn't get over this idea that all of us are probably going to go there because there's no way everyone can follow all those rules perfectly. I had this weird feeling, even as a little kid, that God would gently caress us over on a technicality.

I started to suspect something was up when they taught us in school about the old pagan religions. I was like "oh if entire civilizations can rise and fall under the shadow of other totally different gods and this other god didn't even try to give them a heads up that means that god is either a tremendous prick, or made up."I literally did not know that not believing was an option until I met a kid who said "I don't believe in that poo poo." Changed my whole life. I was never smug or a dick about it either, I just sort of drifted away from it, stopped praying, and when my family asked me what was up I basically said "Yeah I don't really believe that stuff." I was never mean to them about it or condescending, and despite the fact that they were hardly ever church goers or particularly invested in a specific sect and were at best just vaguely nondescript bible thumpers, they detest me for it and never spare an opportunity to tell me how awful I am.

Now, I haven't figured out if it was just their depiction of god as a creepy weirdo who hates us enough to make us suffer forever, but somehow loves us and spies on us all the time, that made me not like religion very much, or if that's straight up what god is and I just naturally can't stand that kind of cosmic view. But I think it'd have helped if my family really actually understood their own religion and maybe gone to church and stuff I'd have ended up like all the other religious people. Though, to be honest, there's some part of me that also suspects that most religious people, even the most devout, don't actually believe half as much as they say they do. I think they're plagued with doubt and just keep doing it because they always have and maybe it provides a little comfort.

Anyway that's my personal relationship with god, I think he's weird and I don't invite him over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Hardawn posted:

Read the tao de ching

the tao that can be read...

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

myDad posted:

the tao that can be read...

Fine... Embody the tao

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
i was raised catholic in a farming community of less than 100 people, god is dead or has never existed

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
God does exist:

You are God.

God is the universe.

God is the result of all the things that leads to the next things. Experiences, Memories, evolution are all the result and continuation of God.

The word just gets explained in a way that makes it easier for people to connect with. God is all knowing is the sense that God is all things.

We are made from the Sun. The sun from the Big Bang. Everything ends up relating to the golden ratio found in nature. Your brain is a competitive structure just like nature.

To truly be spiritual you must let go of all material things - it's the only way. This doesn't necessarily bring you closer to God but more aware of it.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

CareyB posted:

God does exist:

You are God.

God is the universe.

God is the result of all the things that leads to the next things. Experiences, Memories, evolution are all the result and continuation of God.

The word just gets explained in a way that makes it easier for people to connect with. God is all knowing is the sense that God is all things.

We are made from the Sun. The sun from the Big Bang. Everything ends up relating to the golden ratio found in nature. Your brain is a competitive structure just like nature.

To truly be spiritual you must let go of all material things - it's the only way. This doesn't necessarily bring you closer to God but more aware of it.

so god jacks me off

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

The cool thing about God is he is exactly what you want him to be because he is entitely in your head.
Your faith is only a matter of deciding whether to go solo and make up your own creation story, afterlife worlds, scriptures and rules about what kind of seafood you can have on what day if the week, or just walk into a church where that stuff is already figured out for you. Most people don't even put in that much effort, they just let their parents decide and stick with that until they die.

I don't really want to make fun of faith and "imaginary sky wizard" or whatever. I just really don't get it. This need to have a Lord to talk to. Words like faith and belief suggest to me that deep down you know it's bullshit too but you're going to stick to your guns no matter what. In some ways I'm jealous of people who can trick themselves like that. I wish I could sit in a pretty building on Sunday wearing nice clothes and find comfort in stories about a heavenly Father rather than feeling deep suspicion and a sense of being lied to.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Grew up Catholic, but became an edgy atheist in my teens and early 20's. Slowly realized that atheism is nothing but expression of a selfish vanity. Turns out God is real and cool and will make his ephemeral presence known if you look for it.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

myDad posted:

so god jacks me off

At any given moment, god is all up in your rear end

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

myDad posted:

so god jacks me off

you can't separate God from anything else. It is your hand, you dirty mind, the spunk and the sock you ejaculate into.

Energy and frequency

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
God rules

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CareyB posted:

you can't separate God from anything else. It is your hand, you dirty mind, the spunk and the sock you ejaculate into.

Energy and frequency

God is the poo poo and blood falling out of my anus, the hemorrhoids in my rear end hole, my rear end in a top hat, my rear end hair, the bits of shredded toilet paper stuck to my rear end in a top hat, the thin layer of sweat and poo poo that covers my entire rear end crack.

He is the water that the poo poo falls into, the pipe that carries the poo poo and piss away and mixes all the poo poo and piss together for all eternity.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
God made the guinea worm. humans killed it.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

uber_stoat posted:

God made the guinea worm. humans killed it.

Is that the one on the caduceus that explodes?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

a bone to pick posted:

God is the poo poo and blood falling out of my anus, the hemorrhoids in my rear end hole, my rear end in a top hat, my rear end hair, the bits of shredded toilet paper stuck to my rear end in a top hat, the thin layer of sweat and poo poo that covers my entire rear end crack.

He is the water that the poo poo falls into, the pipe that carries the poo poo and piss away and mixes all the poo poo and piss together for all eternity.

God doesn't give a poo poo

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Split Pea Superman posted:

Grew up Catholic, but became an edgy atheist in my teens and early 20's. Slowly realized that atheism is nothing but expression of a selfish vanity. Turns out God is real and cool and will make his ephemeral presence known if you look for it.

Tonetta posted:

God is extremely fake hope this helps

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Atheist since I found out what the word meant, so 22-ish years old. It was rather liberating to find out that I didn't HAVE to believe in and worship a moderately evil god who thinks I have cooties. Yeah, I'm slow.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

myDad posted:

Is that the one on the caduceus that explodes?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
God doesn't want to be worshipped.

God *should* be respected.

Stories from bible etc are likely highly metaphorical and shouldn't be taken literally but we do cos it's easy and religion has been used as a tool for power for 000's of years, discrediting and diluting it's message.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The only concepts of deity which aren't starkly insane are abstracted to the point of being practically meaningless.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Failure to understand something doesn't make it meaningless.

Einstein and Pythagoras where highly spiritual thinkers purely because of the unexplainable.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CareyB posted:

Stories from bible etc are likely highly metaphorical and shouldn't be taken literally but we do cos it's easy and religion has been used as a tool for power for 000's of years, discrediting and diluting it's message.

I remember when I was around 12 years old and I said the same thing to my very Christian friend, that the bible is metaphorical and its about the morals and lessons within it, not to take the stories literally. He told me "No actually you're completely wrong", that's when I realized god is fake and people who believe in it are hopeless creatures.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I traded a book on buddhism for the catechism of the catholic church with a devout catholic in french class & we'd walk around campus explaining our personal philosophies & how they relate to our greater faiths

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CareyB posted:

Failure to understand something doesn't make it meaningless.

Einstein and Pythagoras where highly spiritual thinkers purely because of the unexplainable.

Are you working from a cheatsheet of logical fallacies or does this just come naturally?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

a bone to pick posted:

I remember when I was around 12 years old and I said the same thing to my very Christian friend, that the bible is metaphorical and its about the morals and lessons within it, not to take the stories literally. He told me "No actually you're completely wrong", that's when I realized god is fake and people who believe in it are hopeless creatures.

I wouldn't mix God and religion personally.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are you working from a cheatsheet of logical fallacies or does this just come naturally?

I could pull apart your previous post a lot more to explain actually meaninglessness is in the eye of the beholder but as this thread shows people are very stuck in their ways so why waste time.

Edit and by thread I mean typical opinions of religious people and religion by athiests. Not you lovely people lovely posting etc 🌞

Cabal Ties fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 23, 2017

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
all theists should read guns, germs & steel and immediately follow that with prayers to mother earth

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

CareyB posted:

God does exist:

You are God.

God is the universe.

calling existence god is such a lazy cop out.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
we're all fragments of a baby 'god' and the universe is our crib

we're not allowed out until we learn that harming the other is harming the self

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Im a fag so god hates me :(

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CareyB posted:

I could pull apart your previous post a lot more to explain actually meaninglessness is in the eye of the beholder but as this thread shows people are very stuck in their ways so why waste time.

Edit and by thread I mean typical opinions of religious people and religion by athiests. Not you lovely people lovely posting etc 🌞

So you are basically saying that you would abstract things to the point of meaninglessness in arguing the deeper significance of subjective evaluations of meaning. Gotcha.

Split Pea Superman
Dec 16, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tonetta posted:

God is extremely fake hope this helps

The 100% real woman stated.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
She would then know better, wouldnt she?

Takes one to know one, etc.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

The Thomas Theorem suggests that what is believed to be real becomes real in its consequences, and in that light God is absolutely real in that many his followers will most definitely murder you for a multitude of reasons, and many of the ones that wouldn't murder you for various reasons would still tacitly accept your murder if it appealed to their faith just enough.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
My small group of good friends all went to the same Catholic school together, and we all lapsed.

These days I just pretend God is at the bottom of whatever bottle I happen to have in front of me.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer
Religion is proof that a loving god does not exist.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
how come people who believe in God think they need to talk to him?

Like an omnipotent being doesn't already know what you want or what you're thinking or gonna say?

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything but it just seems pointless really.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

SpaceClown posted:

calling existence god is such a lazy cop out.

Rubbish, try letting go of everything material in your life and all that you know. Not easy. If you see yourself as equal to all things you will feel urged to make a LOT of changes in your life and laziness is not an option.

Lots of people "meditate" but who releases themselves from all that we know as described in something like the dhammapada? The fact is we can measure everything to a certain point and then it's guesswork anyway. What doesn't make that loving amazing, and beyond what we know, and why wouldn't you want to understand it better? We all like to think of the universe as travelling through space having orgies aboard alien spacestations but I think the reality is all you have is you, me, and the world around you, and your obligation should be on respecting that and making the sure the thing that sticks around when you die (your memories) are good ones and have a positive lasting impact.

So I would question why you think it's a lazy cop out. Your opinion is based on all that you know, driven by all the things that we are taught or conclude ourselves and Western civilisation itself is materialist in nature. I came to my conclusions through study of religion just through personal experience and life. With a dose of athiesm and love of science I *feel* like I've learnt a bunch but I can only offer you points, people and things that overall shine a light on actually just how loving similar everything is when you boil it down. There'll be a mathematical reasoning but it's not attainable as a string or summed up by a nice grandfather figure coddling or smiting you on his whim - the answer comes from within you to know it's there but you do live within it whether you like it or not.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Religion is fine until people start taking it seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

CaptainSarcastic posted:

So you are basically saying that you would abstract things to the point of meaninglessness in arguing the deeper significance of subjective evaluations of meaning. Gotcha.

Everything is subjective - you simply can't escape the fact that *my universe* is very different to yours, But yes thats basically what I am saying in some way i suppose. All the parts eventually make a whole for both of us.

• Locked thread