Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ventana posted:

Personally, I tried to rush through the story first and then did the exploring later. Still ended up exploring a poo poo load and enjoyed it, just did it afterwards

Everyone has their ways. This game is definitely about the journey being the reward for sure. I meander in games and by the time I hit the ending I'm always leveled up to ludicrous extremes anyway haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Already at the Zora domain in 5 hours? I honestly don't understand people who want to rush through a game as quickly as possible. I don't think I got to the Zora city until the 20th or so hour of playing. There is way, way too much to explore in this game to just run by it, I think it's doing one's self a complete disservice.

I ended up at the zora domain first even before going to Purah, because while exploring and doing shrine's I got the quest to talk to the prince.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I ended up at the zora domain first even before going to Purah, because while exploring and doing shrine's I got the quest to talk to the prince.

Yeah, same here. I ignored the first person or two that told me to talk to him, but when I climbed a tower and there was a hilarious Zora stuck up there who also told me to go talk to the Prince I was sold. It was a fun and difficult journey that scratched my dark souls itch and really sold me on the game.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Already at the Zora domain in 5 hours? I honestly don't understand people who want to rush through a game as quickly as possible. I don't think I got to the Zora city until the 20th or so hour of playing. There is way, way too much to explore in this game to just run by it, I think it's doing one's self a complete disservice.

Part of the beauty of the game is you can play literally however you want after you get off the plateau. Wanna get the plot done ASAP? Sure, go for it. Feel like exploring first? Awesome. Kill Ganon while bypassing all the divine beasts? You can do that too. I finished the plot fairly fast but didn't feel shortchanged at all because of how much else there was to do in the game.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Yea, some people emphatically steer you away from Hyrule Castle for fear of initiating the 'end game', but I think if you don't flirt with the idea of visiting the castle early at least once, you're just playing it like any old Zelda game and it's kinda less impactful. I mean cheers to anyone who plays it that way, but accidentally stumbling on the grandeur of some of the game's more cinematic moments is really cool

Breaking into the castle while you're still terrified of Guardians is awesome

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I stayed away from the castle until the very end because it felt more like a hero's journey that way. Frodo wasn't sneaking in and out of Mordor stealing poo poo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

acksplode posted:

I stayed away from the castle until the very end because it felt more like a hero's journey that way. Frodo wasn't sneaking in and out of Mordor stealing poo poo

Sam totally spends a few weeks doing that though

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Some are Sam and some are Frodo

I was afraid the game was counting my deaths so I played the first half of the game like Solid Snake

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i never went to hyrule castle early because the game never really gave me a reason to. like all i knew that was there is the end of the game, and why would i try beatings the game when i have some much other game to play?

there's a quest you can stumble on early on that asks you to get a recipe from the castle but that's not really good incentive either. i think the game would benefit if someone in some town gave you the idea of "hey, you're really not strong enough to take on ganon yet but there is a lot of good stuff on the castle that might help you out". something to push the player into checking it out every now and then

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Went into the castle with only 4 hearts, 1 stamina upgrade, lovely weapons and no shield.

I was constantly oggling at the quality of the gear and once I eventually left I was armed to the teeth. Smoothed out the rest of my journey for sure

My Link gave zero fucks about sneaking and stealing. It owns.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Mindblast posted:

He was a member of the royal guard, so he's not even stealing. The worst thing you can blame him for is not bothering to sign out the stuff he's requisitioning.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

Mindblast posted:

Went into the castle with only 4 hearts, 1 stamina upgrade, lovely weapons and no shield.

I was constantly oggling at the quality of the gear and once I eventually left I was armed to the teeth. Smoothed out the rest of my journey for sure

Yeah, if I ever do a Master Mode play through I'll probably hit up the castle for sweet loot first. Will make dealing with stronger monsters better

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Kaubocks posted:

i never went to hyrule castle early because the game never really gave me a reason to. like all i knew that was there is the end of the game, and why would i try beatings the game when i have some much other game to play?

there's a quest you can stumble on early on that asks you to get a recipe from the castle but that's not really good incentive either. i think the game would benefit if someone in some town gave you the idea of "hey, you're really not strong enough to take on ganon yet but there is a lot of good stuff on the castle that might help you out". something to push the player into checking it out every now and then

There is a quest some random person gives you to steal a shield from the castle too

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I didn't go to Zora's Domain early because I wanted to rush through the plot, I went there because there was nothing else in particular that I knew I was supposed to do. I didn't know about the Korok guy because he appears on the road I came into Kakariko on but he didn't show up until after I was there already, and every time after I just went there by fast traveling to the shrine. I had done every shrine I had seen, I always look around when I'm on high ground or in a new tower so there was no compelling reason to wander off aimlessly in a given direction.

I'm doing a little better, the armor has helped and being told I didn't have to fight the Lynel definitely helped. I didn't realize there were arrows in the trees because the Lynel would kill me before I looked around, and I don't think anything in the game tells you not to fight it. A friend with the game told me she killed it the first time so I assumed I was supposed to. I was already sneaking around, avoiding fights when I could and using things like bombs and explosive barrels to tip the scales in my favor.

I beat the Zora beast boss on the first go but I used a whole lot of my heart-giving food -- the lack of mobility in phase 2 is a killer. Is there some reliable way of finding the "hearty" foods that do that? I gather every plant I can and I've been hunting game, although the last hour or two of play has taken a lot of my arrow supply.

I have ridden a couple of horses but I haven't registered any yet because when I had a horse near the stable I somehow talked to everyone there except the guy in the window to ask how it works. I did that yesterday so I know how to register them now at least. How much use is a horse really? I find I am constantly mountain climbing up and/or paragliding down otherwise impassable terrain, and stables don't seem to be that close together. Unless I can attach a paraglider to my horse I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of one.

I appreciate the advice and I'm definitely having an easier time, but I still think the game is unreasonably obtuse and unreasonably difficult at least in the early stages, neither of which I expected from a Zelda game.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

guppy posted:

How much use is a horse really? I find I am constantly mountain climbing up and/or paragliding down otherwise impassable terrain, and stables don't seem to be that close together. Unless I can attach a paraglider to my horse I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of one.

There's some large, flat areas where they're pretty useful. Other than that I ignore them though, I'd rather climb and glide everywhere I go.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

guppy posted:

Is there some reliable way of finding the "hearty" foods that do that? I gather every plant I can and I've been hunting game, although the last hour or two of play has taken a lot of my arrow supply.

There's a grove of Durian trees north of Faron tower.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

there's a quest you can stumble on early on that asks you to get a recipe from the castle but that's not really good incentive either.

There's a lot of quests and cryptic tips urging you to visit the castle early, including one of the easiest of all: Zelda's picture diary. Though you don't actually enter the castle to get the memory, it does try to edge you a little closer to the castle

But there's a guy who tells you there's all kinds of good poo poo around the castle walls for anyone brave enough to do so (lots of bomb arrows)

There's also a guy who tells you about the secret entrance and how he breaks in and makes off with some good items as well

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

guppy posted:

oss on the first go but I used a whole lot of my heart-giving food -- the lack of mobility in phase 2 is a killer. Is there some reliable way of finding the "hearty" foods that do that?
Have you gone to Hateno yet?

There's a research lab, that lets you upgrade your sheikah slate. With this upgrade you can detect any item you have taken a picture of more easily. So hearty food types, but also hidden treasure chests

guppy posted:

I have ridden a couple of horses but I haven't registered any yet because when I had a horse near the stable I somehow talked to everyone there except the guy in the window to ask how it works. I did that yesterday so I know how to register them now at least. How much use is a horse really? I find I am constantly mountain climbing up and/or paragliding down otherwise impassable terrain, and stables don't seem to be that close together. Unless I can attach a paraglider to my horse I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of one.

Do you have the DLC? If so, you can drop the teleport medaillon next to where you leave the horse.

Otherwise just leave your horse in the field and re-summon it at the next stable you come across (talk to the guy in the window and take it out again, the horse will magically appear to where you are, even if you left it halfway across the map)

Dictator. fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Sep 12, 2017

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

guppy posted:

Is there some reliable way of finding the "hearty" foods that do that? I gather every plant I can and I've been hunting game, although the last hour or two of play has taken a lot of my arrow supply.
In addition to the hearty durian grove, if you ever come across a small heart-shaped pond, it usually has about eight hearty radishes around it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

i think the game would benefit if someone in some town gave you the idea of "hey, you're really not strong enough to take on ganon yet but there is a lot of good stuff on the castle that might help you out". something to push the player into checking it out every now and then

There are multiple people who say exactly this.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

There are a bunch of sidequests in stables/towns that explicitly involve exploring Hyrule Castle and bringing back something to show them like a picture, recipe book or weapon

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Has it become common/okay to hate on BotW yet?

After digesting for a few months it is among my least favorite Zeldas. It was fun to play but didn't scratch my Zelda itch at all. I just replayed LBW and man is that one so much better. I think the only Zeldas I would rank behind BotW are SS and LoZ.

BotW isn't a real Zelda game. It has a great sense of exploration and that is all well and good. But was ultimately unsatisfying.

Hopefully this new dungeon will be a return to real Zelda.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress you

This game is nearly perfect.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Why don't you try expand-a-band-banding your horizons.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RCarr posted:

gently caress you

This game is nearly perfect.

Not even close. LBW is nearly perfect. BotW is 1/2 a Zelda game. It got that 1/2 nearly perfect. The other 1/2 of a Zelda game is absent.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I don't have much experience with the Zelda franchise but I think BOTW is one of the best games I have ever played and miles better than the Zeldas that I have previously touched (the two HD remasters on Wii U and the original on NES).

The world actually feels properly alive in ways that so few games even try, and this is important for an RPG (my previous favourite game ever is Ultima VII).

I love all the little details this game has that makes you believe you really are having a grand adventure in this world, like how the wind picks up and rustles the grass, or when you disturb the cranes and they fly off into the sky, or when you are standing around a shallow pond in a sudden rainstorm and loads of frogs come out to play.

I love how you can scare fish away from you while swimming so that they flop onto the bank and flap around. It's great how every item actually exists and has physics and you can hold them in your hands or throw them down a cliff or just put them onto the ground in front of you.

Exploration is rewarded naturally by shrines and korok seeds alongside other little secrets and side quests, and anyone who moans about dungeons just doesn't get what this game is trying to do. It's about having freedom and experiencing the outside world, not being cooped up in a puzzle dungeon for over 45 minutes with no other way to progress. This is a game where you can have an individual experience, seeing and doing things lots of other players likely never will. The more linear Zeldas don't offer anything like this, you're railroaded to play them a certain way, to get the items in the right order, etc. Here there's no limits, you just explore and play and experience what it has to offer much more organically.

To the guy that said this is unsatisfying: I'm sorry if you can't appreciate it, but to me the above is much more satisfying than solving some overly-intricate dungeon that the game forces me to go through. Also, you can't say it's half a Zelda game when there's much more here than in any previous Zelda. I get that the focus here is not what you wanted, but that doesn't mean you should downplay what they have created.

If I had one gripe, it would be this: I think it needs more random encounters; as it stands there are just a few of them and they repeat a little too often, like the truffle hunters, Beedle or the yiga assassins. They could easily have added in a dozen more different encounters and that would make the exploring even better.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Has it become common/okay to hate on BotW yet?

After digesting for a few months it is among my least favorite Zeldas. It was fun to play but didn't scratch my Zelda itch at all. I just replayed LBW and man is that one so much better. I think the only Zeldas I would rank behind BotW are SS and LoZ.

BotW isn't a real Zelda game. It has a great sense of exploration and that is all well and good. But was ultimately unsatisfying.

Hopefully this new dungeon will be a return to real Zelda.

I mean, you're welcome to your opinion, no matter how wrong and bad it is, but saying poo poo like "BotW isn't a real Zelda game" is stupid.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I don't really see how Botw is any less of a zelda than the original. Botw isn't my cup of tea either and I like the linear zeldas more, but it's still clearly a Zelda game.

edit: oh, is this a "Zelda needs dungeons!" argument? eh I never agreed with that idea but I see why people think that

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Rabelais D posted:

To the guy that said this is unsatisfying: I'm sorry if you can't appreciate it, but to me the above is much more satisfying than solving some overly-intricate dungeon that the game forces me to go through. Also, you can't say it's half a Zelda game when there's much more here than in any previous Zelda. I get that the focus here is not what you wanted, but that doesn't mean you should downplay what they have created.

I appreciated it while playing. But after a few months away from the game, digesting, I feel unsatisfied. A lot of what you listed has nothing to do with gameplay. It's just graphics. It's all very nice but a fish swimming away can be done in a walking simulator.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rabelais D posted:

If I had one gripe, it would be this: I think it needs more random encounters; as it stands there are just a few of them and they repeat a little too often, like the truffle hunters, Beedle or the yiga assassins. They could easily have added in a dozen more different encounters and that would make the exploring even better.
this and more enemy variety would really round it out.

I played LBW all the way through and it was good but I certainly didn't want to spend 300+ hours playing it. I get the concept that LBW is sort of the Platonic Ideal Zelda game in some ways (I personally think the rental business was enough of a deviation for the game to also be an outlier) but BotW to me doesn't fail at the formula, it transcends it. I also suspect that like Mario2(USA) and in fact Zelda 2, it will be simultaneously an outlier and a major source of important changes going forward.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Waltzing Along posted:

A lot of what you listed has nothing to do with gameplay. It's just graphics. It's all very nice but a fish swimming away can be done in a walking simulator.

Well, all the weather effects and animals are actually directly connected to the gameplay in lots of overlapping systems like traversal, cooking, status effects etc. I can pick that fish up and cook it, or I can sell it for money, or maybe use it to upgrade my equipment.

The game and its systems are so intricate that even something as simple as the wind blowing can affect the game in lots of ways, like objects blowing away (e.g.bombs), spreading fire, giving you uplift etc. Then these things are used in one-off shrines like 'the wind guides you'. It's really great design.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Me, I tried going to the castle early, got my rear end hilariously kicked by overwhelming laser barrage and decided "I'll just come back here later then"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rabelais D posted:

Well, all the weather effects and animals are actually directly connected to the gameplay in lots of overlapping systems like traversal, cooking, status effects etc. I can pick that fish up and cook it, or I can sell it for money, or maybe use it to upgrade my equipment.

The game and its systems are so intricate that even something as simple as the wind blowing can affect the game in lots of ways, like objects blowing away (e.g.bombs), spreading fire, giving you uplift etc. Then these things are used in one-off shrines like 'the wind guides you'. It's really great design.

It was the tiniest thing, but I was so blown away just by the fact you won't rain-slip on walls if you're under any kind of outcropping that diverts the rain off of the wall you're on. *That* is some attention to detail

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LBW and BOTW are both fantastic games for vastly different reasons. It's nice to have so many great games from such an old series.:)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BOTW is the most meticulously crafted set of game rules and logic that I've ever experienced in a game, period. Nearly everything in the game can affect nearly everything else, in meaningful ways. This thread STILL has folks discovering new things about the game, a half a year after it's release.

I guess you can be mad if you were expecting a linear game or a classic zelda game with 5 hours of tutorial, but to call it anything less than spectacular as a game is pretty hard to justify.

You know that botw has basically broken the mold for open world games and remade it in its image, right? Nearly every open world game will now be compared to botw rather than GTA or Skyrim or Fallout. That's huge.

I almost feel bad for the team porting skyrim to switch because in a post-botw world there is no way it holds up.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'd like better rewards for exploring. Hear me out though. What I mean is non-shrine stuff mostly gets you korok seeds or disposable items, which is boring (it just doesn't matter cause exploring is so much fun anyway).

It'd be nice if you could also find optional items or spells. Stuff like the ice rod or the cape from LttP, bottles, swimming flippers, a bug catching net for convenience... The spells you get by beating one of the dungeons could be optional rewards as well.

For this I'd add traditional Zelda items you can use alongside the new weapon system. I feel tools like the Boomerang or the Korok leaf should always be available once you find them: I wanna use those more but carrying them around is a nuisance since you lose or break them all the time. I feel this would fit right into their open ended "you can find different solutions for most puzzles" design, while also making the combat more interesting.

That said this would probably take a ton of effort, and this is already an incredible game and chock full of content, so...

Elman fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 12, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

BOTW is the most meticulously crafted set of game rules and logic that I've ever experienced in a game, period. Nearly everything in the game can affect nearly everything else, in meaningful ways. This thread STILL has folks discovering new things about the game, a half a year after it's release.

I guess you can be mad if you were expecting a linear game or a classic zelda game with 5 hours of tutorial, but to call it anything less than spectacular as a game is pretty hard to justify.

You know that botw has basically broken the mold for open world games and remade it in its image, right? Nearly every open world game will now be compared to botw rather than GTA or Skyrim or Fallout. That's huge.

I almost feel bad for the team porting skyrim to switch because in a post-botw world there is no way it holds up.

To be clear. I don't think BotW is a bad game. I think it is a bad Zelda game. It's something completely different. Change Link to Bob, Ganon to Monsterman and Zelda to Tracy, change the name to Adventure World and it is no longer a Zelda game. It's a great open world game. I totally get that. It's not a Zelda game. Based on what a Zelda game is/was.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How many times do you plan on repeating yourself, exactly?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RCarr posted:

How many times do you plan on repeating yourself, exactly?

At least once more, Miss Swan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
What the next BOTW-like actually needs is for the world to feel like it's not just a solid hunk of dirt with no underground features (that aren't shrine elevators taking you down). Pretty much the entire game was taking place aboveground with no chance for a cave adventure. anything that looked like a cave was a shallow cutout in the wall for a shrine to sit in.