Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Hope your xmas will help your gains as much as mine did.

I wish I got a green egg. I did get some cheap cotton long sleeve shirts and sliders so I can add to my workout clothes rotation. Also some new deadlift straps.

Merry Christmas goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i ate salami and cheese and drank nog all day

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I feel like all the eating I did today makes up for not lifting so I'll skip that part tonight...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Boxing Day dinner >>> Christmas dinner

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Paper Diamonds posted:

Saw a little old lady come in the front door of the gym. Big puffy knee length down jacket, grey hair, fuzzy warm cap. Looked just like my grandma all bundled up for winter.

I see her a few minutes later doing tricep extensions in a tank top and she's loving jacked. Huge traps, defined lats, grapefruit sized bis/tris.

You get those digits bro?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
This week supposed to be deload week, but after two days of nothing but eating, I'm just going to do the next cycle of the 5/3/1 :getin:

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
so um, the tendons on my left arm that run from my ring/pinky finger are still kinda hosed up. i failed a grip test on friday just holding a bar with weights racked. my muscles are all healed, can i work through this poo poo or am I just asking to gently caress my tendons up? i seem to only get it from barbell curls and a few other exercises but mainly the former.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Just do poo poo where your grip is not used and you'll be fine, so presses and that's it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

so um, the tendons on my left arm that run from my ring/pinky finger are still kinda hosed up. i failed a grip test on friday just holding a bar with weights racked. my muscles are all healed, can i work through this poo poo or am I just asking to gently caress my tendons up? i seem to only get it from barbell curls and a few other exercises but mainly the former.

Muscles will heal before tendons, but if it's just like a bizarre weakness that sounds more like nerve damage than anything.

The tendons in your pinkie go all the way into your forearm so invest in a good hard neuro massage and tell them where to focus. Or get dry needled if you like setting money on fire.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I hosed up my hand real good, chronically, from refusing to put the guitar down long enough for it to heal.

Dont gently caress around with tendon poo poo. Change movements to something that does not cause pain or wait and let it heal. If you stop before it gets too bad it can heal fairly quickly. It took me a year and a half to get my hand usable again - and yes it was that hand.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Just do more steroids

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Don't have a gym or proper weights nearby, been doing so many pull ups of different varieties that my elbows hurt.

gently caress the holidays.

naem
May 29, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Don't have a gym or proper weights nearby, been doing so many pull ups of different varieties that my elbows hurt.

gently caress the holidays.

Same only I haven't been doing any cardio and I'm getting yoked, none of my shirts fit

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
There's been another stupid 'too much protein is bad for you and needing large amounts for bodybuilding is just a con' in UK newspapers. I await less gym oriented colleagues smugly telling me how I'm just harming myself with weightlifting (presumably while eating chips for lunch).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The huge amounts of protein recommended on some parts of these and other forums is a con.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I agree. 1g per lb of body weight is insane

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I have been told half a gram if you're really trying to put on muscle. The rest you'd just piss and/or poo poo out.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I agree. 1g per lb of body weight is insane
I eat 0.8g-1.1g per lb but I am forever on a deficit. If I weren't on a deficit I'd probably eat less protein. Maybe not though. It's pretty easy to hit. Some greek yogurt, some protein powder, a pound of chicken, and you're mostly there. I eat that most days or swap out the chicken for other meats and beans and stuff.

I also legit love chicken, rice, most vegetables and could eat it forever and ever.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 27, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Khorne posted:

I also legit love chicken, rice, most vegetables and could eat it forever and ever.

It is delicious, and well-prepared charcoal grilled chicken + veggies is the delight of cutting.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I weigh about 190-195, that's not a lot of muscle, I'm probably maybe 18-20(maybe even more)% body fat and I eat between 135-165 grams of protein a day. I've always assumed its enough and it's the quality of the food/other macros I need to work on. I'm about to make a lot of beef stew to eat at work the next few days.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Get that furnace burning hot enough, it won't matter what you're eating.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The original recommendation was like 1g/kg but internet toughs kept bumping up the number and 1g/lb was easier for Americans to use.

Then you started seeing 1.5g/lb... 2g/lb...

I haven't kept track in years and I look no worse now than when I was forcing protein shakes down at midnight to hit my macros. Some days I probably don't hit 50g. Matbe I'm underestimating the milk in all this coffee?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

The original recommendation was like 1g/kg but internet toughs kept bumping up the number and 1g/lb was easier for Americans to use.
It went up due to different studies. 1g/kg is based on athlete intake and performance. The 0.8g-1.1g/lb numbers were based on trained individuals in a caloric deficit and gaining lean mass while doing so. Most people will see no benefit over 0.8g/lb, but some of the people in the study did. There have been quite a few studies since the 1g/kg one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Some of those studies were half a dozen guys on complete bedrest for 3 weeks. Who gives a poo poo what results they get in that situation, really?

It's all a con by Big Whey and the Plumbers Guild.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You should eat just enough protein until you get disgusting farts, then dial it back depending on how much you like those farts.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Man, I made my beef stew and I'm not sure I believe myfitnesspal. I used about 2 lbs of Publix Stew Meat(I'll chop my own eventually, this was just an expirimental cooking to start with), about 3 decent size potatoes cut up and a handful of baby carrots. It only made what looks like 3 medium sized meals and supposedly there's about 65-70 grams of protein in each one(Myfitness pal claims 200 grams of protein in 2lbs of stew meat alone). Seems a bit high but maybe I'm just used to protein content of lovely meat. I dunno, I did go high on the meat to other poo poo ratio. I still need to get a food scale.

e: publix is expensive as gently caress too, I need to shop somewhere else. I can't remember exact prices but I doubt the 3 meals that made was actually all that cheap. It's just right by my apartment. Got an Aldi and Walmart down the road.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 27, 2016

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
you buy poo poo from publix and then put off buying work shoes jfc

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've got new shoes right now you retard moron

e: not to mention even if I didn't that post still wouldn't make sense. I never said "gee I need new shoes but just can't afford any at all" My issue is managing my free time.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 27, 2016

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I see what everyone is saying, and I agree that a super high protein (and by that I mean 1g/lb) intake is unnecessary, but it's this stupid study about 'high protein diets are just as dangerous as smoking (says this one highly flawed study in Cellular Metabolism)', which keeps getting trotted out by newspapers.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

I see what everyone is saying, and I agree that a super high protein (and by that I mean 1g/lb) intake is unnecessary, but it's this stupid study about 'high protein diets are just as dangerous as smoking (says this one highly flawed study in Cellular Metabolism)', which keeps getting trotted out by newspapers.

Maybe if you're exclusively eating Prime rib

Sound
Oct 18, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Maybe if you're exclusively eating Prime rib

is...is this a problem?

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I did some looking around and apparently this totally legit guy on the Internet claims the reputable literature indicates anything over .82g/lb - with a 2 sigma safety margin - does not give any measurable benefit either bulking or cutting. Without the margin it's like .65.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Sound posted:

is...is this a problem?

Gout is indeed a problem.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
But 1 is an easy number to remember.

"How many grams of protein per lb? 1"
"How many reps in the next set? 1"
"How many plates on my squat? 1"

We're all #1

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What's a good lift to get that juicy thick neck? I like having a good jawline and all but pencil neck is no good.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
cable curls with the handle in your mouth

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FedEx Mercury posted:

What's a good lift to get that juicy thick neck? I like having a good jawline and all but pencil neck is no good.
https://bretcontreras.com/neck-training-101/

Go to the "exercises" section. You can just use your hand instead of a plate and apply variable pressure as you press against it with your neck. I just casually do it between sets sometimes and my neck grew a lot while losing weight.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 27, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
they make a thing called a neck harness. I know because when i did greyskull it was the first exercise i didn't do

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I saw some guy working out his neck muscle on another guy in the gym showers last night... looked really effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

나도 나도

A lot of people talking about protein consumed without taking into account that not everyone needs the exact same thing to grow. I am a genetic freak like big poppa pump so I need 1g per lb and no one can tell me otherwise, everyone has a different body; if you've ever seen someone bench 3 plates with a 9th grade boys chest you would know that.