Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Aoi posted:

Shogunate: Show Gone? Not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Shogun - Show Gun 2 Come Back

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mordja posted:

The show technically did mention that he had more (older, I think) sons, they just never appeared or did anything in the show.

Yeah I just think it's funny they invested so much time in one particular son and then, theoretically, they'll have to say "oh by the way Toranaga steps down and makes his son shogun more less immediately" and it's some guy we haven't seen at all really. That is, of course, assuming they follow history at all.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Amazing show, not sure how I feel about a second series. I’ll watch it obviously, and worst comes to worst I can separate the glorious first season from the rest of they’re a pair of shitboxes.

I was jaw-to-the-floor when Mariko exploded, Blackthorn really grew on me, Torenaga is COOLLLD. Actually with Torenaga, I think the scene of him as the boy warlord was great foreshadowing. Like yes, obviously the guy who was taking heads at 12 is a great tactician and warlord, but also an absolutely brutal, cold motherfucker of a man.

Also impressive they turned the perpetrator of the boiling alive scene into one of the most endearing characters, the actor did an amazing job there. Actually the entire cast were incredible - really one of those shows that reminds you why great actors are so highly prized.

Second to last ep potentially one of the best single episodes of telly I’ve ever seen too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I remain dumbfounded that Anna Sawai had this kind of performance in her. If anyone was unfortunate enough to watch Monarch Legacy of Monsters she was abysmal.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Remap Radio has a subscriber-only critical discussion of the show that was good to listen to. Biggest takeaway was the discussion about the use of language, what kind of person was Toranaga, and how Blackthorne slowly realizes the value life and death in their culture.

https://remapradio.com/podcasts/episodes/my-turn-shogun/

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nybble posted:

Remap Radio has a subscriber-only critical discussion of the show that was good to listen to. Biggest takeaway was the discussion about the use of language, what kind of person was Toranaga, and how Blackthorne slowly realizes the value life and death in their culture.

https://remapradio.com/podcasts/episodes/my-turn-shogun/

drat I've just been sticking to their free stuff so far but I might have to sub for that.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

kiimo posted:

I remain dumbfounded that Anna Sawai had this kind of performance in her. If anyone was unfortunate enough to watch Monarch Legacy of Monsters she was abysmal.

i dont think anyone could have made that role work, its peak jj abrams ‘run then scream then cry’ glass case of emotions modern ‘narrative’

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i dont think anyone could have made that role work, its peak jj abrams ‘run then scream then cry’ glass case of emotions modern ‘narrative’

always a bad sign when a show has more credited producers than recurring cast

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

kiimo posted:

Well thats good because it means if you hand her good writing and direction she can act, that monarch show is absolute trash

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, Monarch loving sucked and I don't blame any of the actors for it. I'm real glad Shogun was so soon after it so that people could actually see Anna Sawai can actually act when given something to get her teeth into.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It was definitely an adjustment going from Monarch to Shogun. Not so much because of Anna Sawai's ability to act, just the stark contrast between the characters she plays.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

You guys got me to watch the first few episodes of Monarch to see what all the anti-hype is about. And it's...fine? Anna Sawai is...not that bad? Nothing spectacular though.

Then again, I probably have her performance in Shogun tilting my bias a bit.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Doing a rewatch with friends and man, those middle episodes I didn't like as much on my first viewing are way better when you know how everything will play out.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

You guys got me to watch the first few episodes of Monarch to see what all the anti-hype is about. And it's...fine? Anna Sawai is...not that bad? Nothing spectacular though.

it’s a fine monster flick, it’s not prestige tv, but from the midpoint onwards they give sawai literally no worthwhile material outside of a couple flashback scenes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Yeah it underutilizes her is about the worst that can be said about it. The consensus in this thread that it's irredeemable trash is a bit much imo, it's very watchable trash about giant monsters and the hollow earth with a scenery chewing, old as hell Kurt Russell. It's dumb fun just very different than Shogun.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nybble posted:

Shogun - Show Gun 2 Come Back

Sho Gun: Maverick

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I would like an episode of Mariko making the trip to London, learning English on the voyage and seeing Romeo and Juliette on stage

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I can already see the YouTube reactors confused as to why the Italian characters in the play are speaking English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Blackthorn: you see the Montagues and the Capulets were two houses in Verona and they had a blood feud going back a ways and young Romeo falls in love with Juliette who's from the other family and so she's asking "why are you a Montague and me a Capulet" here because she's sad that their families hate each other so much and you got the different members of the family actually swordfighting in the streets, but nobody's supposed to be swordfighting because that would break the peace and they'd get in trouble with the lord

Mariko: Anjin-sama is talking about Italians.