Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Why are they holding Kiwis on Christmas Island? Not that anyone else should be held there, but surely that's a dumb move politically?

Well you didn't know until right now, and there are hundreds there and at least one suicide victim. They've called Christmas Island "Kiwi Alcatraz" over there now and again for a while.

And the only alternative I can picture is a "New Zealanders excepted" policy, which'd probably be a li'l rougher, PR wise.

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Why are they holding Kiwis on Christmas Island? Not that anyone else should be held there, but surely that's a dumb move politically?

we put a karl pilkington impersonator in charge of concentration camps

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
They are being deported on character grounds, which for some unknown reason means sending them several thousand km away from New Zealand. From the article I read, any Kiwi who has been in prison for more than twelve months is going back.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!

Birdstrike posted:

Wayne Swan is dope.

ftfy

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

This is a stupid policy from a govt trying to be "tough on crime".

At the same time, it's stupid that you can live here all your life and not be required to become a citizen, it's what enables these absurdities to occur like people who've lived here all their lives suddenly being deported to their "real country". They should change the laws so that your visa expires after 7 years or so, and you have ample opportunity to become a citizen. How is living here without being a full member of society (i.e. not voting) good for you or for the country?
I came here on a PR visa and could have kept extending it indefinitely, but as soon as it was possible, I became a citizen so I can vote (for Laybah :getin:).

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Can't really blame people for not wanting to be known as Australian.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Holy hell nothing about that story makes any sense whatsoever.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Unimpressed posted:

At the same time, it's stupid that you can live here all your life and not be required to become a citizen, it's what enables these absurdities to occur like people who've lived here all their lives suddenly being deported to their "real country". They should change the laws so that your visa expires after 7 years or so, and you have ample opportunity to become a citizen. How is living here without being a full member of society (i.e. not voting) good for you or for the country?
I came here on a PR visa and could have kept extending it indefinitely, but as soon as it was possible, I became a citizen so I can vote (for Laybah :getin:).

This would make a mockery of relationship we're supposed to have with New Zealand, although it's already pretty damaged. It'd be like telling people in the EU they have to give up their citizenship if they want to live and work in another European country. What we should be doing is saying that New Zealand citizenship is equivalent to Australian citizenship in every way while that person is in Australia.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Oct 25, 2015

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

They're probably being so harsh on the Kiwis in order to be able to say:

"See, we can be utterly inhumane to whites too! Therefore stop the botes is :notracist:. QED.

-Negligent"

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

lies

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Unimpressed posted:

It wasn't meant to be tough on crime, it was meant to be tough on immigrants. They just forgot that white people can be immigrants too.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

We shall fight them on the beaches.

Drones will be flown above beaches, and 20 listening stations built along the NSW coast to track sharks in real-time, in a $16 million high-tech strategy to combat shark attacks.

The wide-ranging plan to protect swimmers and surfers with eco-friendly barrier nets, new technology and helicopter surveillance, will be announced by the Baird government on Sunday at Coogee Beach.

The five-year program represents a significant funding boost from the $1.5 million spent annually on shark meshing.
Sonar shark detection devices are to be trialled at five NSW beaches.

Sonar shark detection devices are to be trialled at five NSW beaches. Photo: Supplied

Minister for Primary Industries Niall Blair said NSW would be the first government to trial so many new shark mitigation technologies at once.

The use of shark-detecting drones will start in December, coinciding with the beach holiday season.

Real-time tracking of tagged sharks using 4G technology will meanwhile begin with 10 shark listening stations deployed between Tweed Heads and Forster on the north coast. The stations will include Byron Bay, Lennox Head, Ballina and Evans Head.
Australia has the highest rate of shark attacks in the world.

Australia has the highest rate of shark attacks in the world. Photo: Paul Johnston

Another 10 stations will be built at known shark attack locations.

The SharkSmart app will be upgraded to allow the public to receive shark alerts in near real-time on mobile phones and tablets. A similar system is being used in Western Australia.

North coast towns have been the worst hit by the recent spike in white shark attacks, and will be allocated two of the six barrier nets to be trialled at beaches.

The barriers, developed in Western Australia, reduce the risk of other marine life becoming entangled in the net.

Shark-detecting sonar systems will be trialled at five beaches, including at least one Sydney metropolitan beach.

The Clever Buoy uses sonar to detect and distinguish the type of shark, and sends a signal to an Optus satellite which alerts the local life-saving club.

Sonar buoys would be deployed near the 4G listening stations, to test their accuracy, the government said.

"After considering the advice from experts attending a recent summit in Sydney and consulting with communities including the North Coast, we will take a multi-faceted approach to the issue of detecting and deterring sharks," Mr Blair said.

"We are proud to be the first jurisdiction anywhere in the world to adopt an integrated approach toward keeping our beaches safe."

Helicopter surveillance of the coast will also be significantly boosted, with $3.5 million allocated.

The Baird government last month convened a meeting of international shark experts to consider a shortlist of new technologies that may be appropriate for NSW beaches, in response to rising attacks.

NSW has seen 13 attacks this year, including one fatality. This compares to two fatalities from three attacks in 2014.

While $7.7 million will be spent on the technology trials and surveillance, another $7 million is to be allocated to shark science and research. Annual grants will be offered to encourage new innovation, and more expert staff hired to the tagging program.

Sydney beaches will be included in the trials, with locations to be chosen in consultation with the technology providers, a government spokeswoman said.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Xerxes17 posted:

They're probably being so harsh on the Kiwis in order to be able to say:

"See, we can be utterly inhumane to whites too! Therefore stop the botes is :notracist:. QED.

-Negligent"

I'd be interested to see how many of the Kiwis sent to Chrstmas Island were Maoris and compare that to the numbers of Kiwis who don't get sent to concentration camps who are white.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Seems way more appropriate than Barnett with his "kill them there sharks" approach.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

norp posted:

Seems way more appropriate than Barnett with his "kill them there sharks" approach.

WA will implement the same system, but with predator drones rather than surveillance drones.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

norp posted:

Spending $16 million on drones and other ridiculous crap to ward off the grey menace isn't appropriate in any sense of the word. If you're not prepared to be killed and eaten by a shark, stay out of the water.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What a waste of loving money

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

Spending $16 million on drones and other ridiculous crap to ward off the grey menace isn't appropriate in any sense of the word. If you're not prepared to be killed and eaten by a shark, stay out of the water.

grey panic attack

also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm2W0sq9ddU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

open24hours posted:

16 million to prevent 1 death a year.

How many domestic violence shelter places could be funded for the same money?

Or just have Mick Fanning stationed a few hundred metres off the beach to punch the sharks

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 25, 2015

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It's for tourism, they don't want a chinese family getting eaten and scaring off people from Bondi or whatever.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

this cyberpunk dystopia loving sucks.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Please use this technology to redirect all sharks to Cronulla and Manly

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Please use this technology to redirect all sharks to Cronulla and Manly

Tony :gibs: Abbott

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Frogmanv2 posted:

I'm sorry thread. I will stop responding to Negligent.
Not nearly loving sorry enough.

How many times were you told not to touch the poop? And yet you kept touching it. Now go up to your room. Your Dad will be up in a minute and you can make your peace with him.

:redass:

Mr Chips posted:

Or just have Bernard Fanning stationed a few hundred metres off the beach to sing.

Lego hate free speech.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-25/artist-claims-lego-refuses-to-provide-bricks-for-ngv-exhibition/6883178

quote:

Lego refuses to supply bricks for Weiwei installation at National Gallery of Victoria because of 'political context' By Simon Lauder

Part of a major international exhibition planned for Melbourne has been thrown into doubt after toymaker, Lego, refused to supply building blocks for the project.

Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei said Lego refused his studio's request for a bulk order of Lego to create an artwork to be shown at the National Gallery of Victoria. A spokeswoman for the National Gallery of Victoria said the Lego was required for a "room scale installation" Ai Weiwei was planning, highlighting Australian activists and advocates for human rights and free speech. The gallery is planning to bring the works of Andy Warhol and Ai Weiwei to Melbourne this summer, in the largest international contemporary show ever held at the gallery. In an Instagram post, the artist said Lego told him "they cannot approve the use of Legos for political works".

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

chaos rhames posted:

It's for tourism, they don't want a chinese family getting eaten and scaring off people from Bondi or whatever.

I thought they wanted to get the chinese out of sydney :confused:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

I know in South Australia they have helicopters and planes flying over beaches to spot sharks. This seems like it could potentially save money over the long term.

I know an Auspol goon is involved in this, but I can only remember his real name right now.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Mad Katter posted:

I know in South Australia they have helicopters and planes flying over beaches to spot sharks. This seems like it could potentially save money over the long term.

I know an Auspol goon is involved in this, but I can only remember his real name right now.

starshark???

e:wait no, flying drones to look for sharks is definitely count chocula

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Mad Katter posted:

It may be terrible, but at least it's a cheaper way of being terrible.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I want to be a helicopter shark spotter.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I want to be a helicopter shark spotter.

I feel that a helicopter shark would be highly conspicuous and anyone could take your job, consigning you back to the mass of leaners blighting the nation.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Birdstrike posted:

I feel that a helicopter shark would be highly conspicuous and anyone could take your job, consigning you back to the mass of leaners blighting the nation.

You'd be surprised. BBish managed to get away unnoticed for quite a while.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

Let the sharks pay the shark tax! I pay the Homer tax!

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...023-gkgvq8.html

quote:

The debate over mandatory bicycle helmet laws is still stirring passions

They've been in place for 25 years but it seems Australia's mandatory bike helmet laws are still stoking passions and stirring controversy.

The helmet laws have emerged as the surprise focus of federal Parliament's so-called "nanny state" inquiry.

Set up by libertarian senator David Leyonhjelm​, the inquiry is examining a wide array of laws and regulations that may be seen to unnecessarily impinge on people's freedoms.

"I thought the Sydney lock-out laws would be the big one," Senator Leyonhjelm said. "I didn't think we would get swamped by the helmets."

Australia was the first country to impose mandatory bike helmet laws in the early 1990s to prevent serious head injuries; very few other nations have followed suit. About half of the 400 submissions made to the inquiry so far focus on helmets, many of them from people who want the laws relaxed or scrapped.

Some complain about the inconvenience, saying many more people would use bikes – delivering increased health, traffic and environmental benefits – if helmets were not mandatory.

Others complain about a loss of civil liberties and the diversion of police resources to enforce helmet use. Still others complain about discomfort from sweating and ruined hairstyles.

One submission makes the point that a woman can legally smoke 40 cigarettes a day throughout a pregnancy.

"Yet after birth if the baby is put on the back of a pushbike without a helmet suddenly the concern for the child's health is paramount," it says.

The inquiry also heard from the mayor of Fremantle, Brad Pettitt, who says the most effective way to get people on to bikes would be to allow people to go helmet-free on cycle paths and low-speed roads.

One woman says she was a "conscientious objector" to the laws when they were first introduced because she believed them to be misguided. She was repeatedly fined but refused to pay and was eventually briefly jailed.

She subsequently gave up cycling altogether.

But a joint submission by the Australasian College of Road Safety, The Australian Injury Prevention Network and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons says the evidence is clear and overwhelming that bike helmets reduce the risk of serious head injuries.

"Recent survey results support claims that the anti-helmet lobby is not a realistic or objective representation of the general public's point of view. Surveys suggest the overwhelming majority of Australians are supportive of our government's laws to regulate the wearing of bicycle helmets."

Kidsafe says helmet laws are of "critical importance" in the reduction of road trauma for children and do not impinge upon personal liberties.

Australian Bureau of Statistics data shows that 1.15 million people regularly cycle in Australia – about 6.2 per cent of the population.

Vicroads says Victoria's helmet laws resulted in a 16 per cent reduction in head injuries when they were introduced in 1990.

But a 2011 study by the Cycling Promotion Fund and the Heart Foundation did find 16.5 per cent of Australians were deterred from riding more often because they have to wear a helmet.

Newcastle academic Jai Cooper takes the laws very seriously indeed, saying the helmet laws reflect Australia's "velophobia" – the fear of cycling.

"The laws exemplify the application of Hobbesian​ notions of human nature and the control of an unruly population by a Leviathan state," he says. "Helmet laws are thus an easily visible means to panoptically​ control the cycling population."

Good. Hopefully idiot libertarian does something good by accident.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
if people choose not to wear helmets so be it, Darwinism in action

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
cyclists will happily complain about the nanny state in the same breath that they enjoy public open spaces and infrastructure that comes about as a result of government transport and planning policy

go read Hobbes some more, when there is no state, there is only continual fear and danger of violent death, and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Negligent posted:

cyclists will happily complain about the nanny state in the same breath that they enjoy public open spaces and infrastructure that comes about as a result of government transport and planning policy

go read Hobbes some more, when there is no state, there is only continual fear and danger of violent death, and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

:argh: STATIST :argh:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Negligent posted:

if people choose not to wear helmets so be it, Darwinism in action

I have to pay for their rehabilitation when they get a tbi. They can loving wear helmets.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Negligent posted:

I bet you support traffic lights too you commie fucko

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Funny how libertarians don't mind the nanny state when it comes to property laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I believe the argument is property rights = good, other rights = bad, because gently caress you.

• Locked thread