Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ChaosArgate posted:

On the other hand, didn't that same talent go on to do Blue Dragon like 12 years later and that game was kinda mediocre at best? I vaguely remember that game having advertising pushing the reuniting of the Chrono Trigger team but I might be imagining that.

Nah man, Sakaguchi created Final Fantasy, then broke off from Square and made his own company, Mistwalker, around '04, and the first game they made was Blue Dragon. They also had Akira Toriyama (guy who does the art for DragonBall and Chrono Trigger) and Nobuo Uematsu (guy who did the music for Final Fantasy and helped with Chrono Trigger), but they didn't have the full Chrono Trigger team as they didn't have anybody from the Dragon Quest series.

I remember that journalists at the time were hyping the game up because it was being made by the dude who made Final Fantasy, but in the end it turned out being a pretty bad game. Mistwalker eventually made Last Story, which is pretty good, not the most outstanding RPG ever made but it's pretty good and has a lot of charm.

Regy Rusty posted:

It's by far the worst Layton game so don't feel bad.

I thought he was on Last Spectre, not Miracle Mask. :v:

No but seriously Miracle Mask is easily the worst, even Last Spectre had some fun in it but MM was just a slog to get through and the payoff was borderline insultingly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Handsome Ralph posted:

So is Majora's Mask hard to find right now or something?

I looked online to see if my local Best Buy had it's showing that no stores have it in stock. You can't even enter your zip code, it's just showing in-store purchase/pickup isn't available.

Both MM and MH4 are a bit hard to find right now. I'm guessing it is at least partially to blame on the port strike poo poo since while they can fly games in I'm sure it is a poo poo ton more expensive so they didn't bring over as many copies as they normally would.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Just give it a few days, maybe a week. More copies are surely coming in. If I can still see new copies of Fire Emblem, there's no way in hell they're going to have only one printing of Majora's Mask.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I disagree with you disagreeing.

Kewpuh posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh???????????????????????? secret of evermore missing from list???????

SquareSoft SNES RPGS were so amazing.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nah man, Sakaguchi created Final Fantasy, then broke off from Square and made his own company, Mistwalker, around '04, and the first game they made was Blue Dragon. They also had Akira Toriyama (guy who does the art for DragonBall and Chrono Trigger) and Nobuo Uematsu (guy who did the music for Final Fantasy and helped with Chrono Trigger), but they didn't have the full Chrono Trigger team as they didn't have anybody from the Dragon Quest series.

I remember that journalists at the time were hyping the game up because it was being made by the dude who made Final Fantasy, but in the end it turned out being a pretty bad game. Mistwalker eventually made Last Story, which is pretty good, not the most outstanding RPG ever made but it's pretty good and has a lot of charm.

I thought he was on Last Spectre, not Miracle Mask. :v:

No but seriously Miracle Mask is easily the worst, even Last Spectre had some fun in it but MM was just a slog to get through and the payoff was borderline insultingly stupid.

I thought Diabolical Box was the Layton game nobody liked?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I was in target last night and they had at least 10 MM on the shelf. Ymmv, but it's out there. Monster Hunter on the other hand...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

mycot posted:

I thought Diabolical Box was the Layton game nobody liked?

Unwound Future > Last Spectre > Curious Village > Diabolical Box > Miracle Mask

(Haven't played newest one, may pick that up later)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Regy Rusty posted:

It's by far the worst Layton game so don't feel bad.

No way is Last Spectre worse than Diabolical Box. That game had like 20 loving sliding block puzzles and the dumbest plot in a series known for silly plots.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Unwound Future > Last Spectre > Curious Village > Diabolical Box > Miracle Mask

(Haven't played newest one, may pick that up later)

I'm not that far into Azran but right now I'd rank them:

Unwound Future > (maybe Azran Legacy) > Miracle Mask > Last Spectre > Curious Village > Diabolical Box

I'm also basing that mostly on the actual quality of the puzzles and side stuff. Judged by that criteria, Layton vs. Phoenix is the worst because it is just wayyyyyyy too easy and there aren't 300+ daily puzzles or any side things.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

I would kill for a remake of SoM - give it a fresh coat of paint and add a couple bonus dungeons or something.

They kinda sorta did this but then put it on phones at 30 fps.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If anyone has a Meijer around you and has mperks there is a coupon you can clip for 10% off general merchandise, making the N3DS XL $180 if you can find one!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I think the best part of CT is doing side quests once you can hop around through time and see how what you do in the past changes the future.

Everything else is great but that's my favorite part. CT is a blast every time I play it and I wish I could do it again for the first time. Have fun!

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What a bad system to decide to go digital only on. You guys just talk about wanting to get psychical copies. It makes that "Game Card" slot look even more empty. Do they sell protective plugs for them?

Besides the Sega 3D Classics I can't decide which 3ds title to cut my teeth on. I will for sure get MM cause I never played it on 64 but OoT was the first Zelda that clicked for me. I kinda want something to showcase everything awesome about the system for me. I was close to picking up a XL when New Leaf came out but resisted. I loved my first AC on gamecube but I remember buying a DS for Wild World and I barely had a desire to play it. Worried I would do the same specially if there aren't any friends I know playing it these days.

I'm curious of learning to play JRPGs. Are there any easy good ones? I really liked Dragon Quest VIII on PS2. Should I be pumped for Xenoblade?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Housh posted:

What a bad system to decide to go digital only on. You guys just talk about wanting to get psychical copies. It makes that "Game Card" slot look even more empty. Do they sell protective plugs for them?

Besides the Sega 3D Classics I can't decide which 3ds title to cut my teeth on. I will for sure get MM cause I never played it on 64 but OoT was the first Zelda that clicked for me. I kinda want something to showcase everything awesome about the system for me. I was close to picking up a XL when New Leaf came out but resisted. I loved my first AC on gamecube but I remember buying a DS for Wild World and I barely had a desire to play it. Worried I would do the same specially if there aren't any friends I know playing it these days.

I'm curious of learning to play JRPGs. Are there any easy good ones? I really liked Dragon Quest VIII on PS2. Should I be pumped for Xenoblade?

Got an old ds game? Or buy a didn't cheap ds game. Probably cheaper then buying a cover.

And yes, xenoblade is really good. Not the best ever holy grail, but a really solid interesting game.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

Got an old ds game? Or buy a didn't cheap ds game. Probably cheaper then buying a cover.

Yeah that's a great idea. I'm in the process of searching the house for the only DS game I didn't sell: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan.

Hope I find it cause I would love to play it again.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Once you get all 80 of the flowers in Flower Power, what's the point? It wants me to breed another 80 in a different color. Yea right.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
My local Gamestop literally had towers of Majora's Mask this time last week. if they've sold them all by now, I would be surprised to the nth degree.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Housh posted:

Fantasy Life. It's easy and has hundreds of hours of fun. Literally.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

eightysixed posted:

Once you get all 80 of the flowers in Flower Power, what's the point? It wants me to breed another 80 in a different color. Yea right.

You get a gold watering can if you breed all combinations of flowers and colors. So technically, it's more than another 80 :v:

I know it makes me a dumb human being instead of the manly man Iam want to be, but I wish there was a $10 or $20 version of Flower Town with deeper everything. I love when you get a unique crossbreed that results in things like different shapes of piranha plants, loop versions of the rare plants, etc - but I'm all out of places to put them :smith:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The rear end Stooge posted:

Is there anything noteworthy about Ironfall other than being on the 3DS? It looks like any number of generic third-person shooters I might have played on a smartphone.

Online multiplayer, really impressive graphics for 3ds. Also it's a TPS on a system that had zero FPS' and like two other TPS's.

Download it and see if you like it. It's free to try then you pay to unlock the full single player, multiplayer or both after you've tried it.

If you really want to play a certified awesome single player TPS, get RE Revelations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Ironfall is really bad.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I popped in the 32GB micro sd. I do admit I had to try twice putting the back plate back on cause the first time I didn't align the bottom right but it was still super easy doing. Then again I've taken apart my Wii...which was a nightmare.

New 3DS is a magical experience if you haven't really used a 3DS before. I remember using my friend's launch systems for short amounts of time and the 3D never working right. My buddy kept giving me tips and showing me there was a technique at getting the 3D to work and I just didn't get it. The 3D on new 3DS put a smile on my face and I felt like a kid from the moment it does that depth calibration thing. So awesome :)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I'm really glad for face tracking. I always loved the 3d and had it on 100% of the time. It was annoying to stay in the sweet spot but I thought it was worth it.

Now everyone who just didn't bother can experience it too!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Pokemon Shuffle protip: When you unlock stage 130 it's the perfect stage to level up pokemon. 50 turns, if you use pokemon that are weak or normal on that stage you can get a ton of experience.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

You get a gold watering can if you breed all combinations of flowers and colors. So technically, it's more than another 80 :v:

I know it makes me a dumb human being instead of the manly man Iam want to be, but I wish there was a $10 or $20 version of Flower Town with deeper everything. I love when you get a unique crossbreed that results in things like different shapes of piranha plants, loop versions of the rare plants, etc - but I'm all out of places to put them :smith:

Wow. Yea, definitely not doing that - what a grind. I thought I would at least get the title of "Master Gardener" or whatever like it said at the beginning once I hit 80, but no such luck. I'm calling it a day. Also, I called it Flower Power, when its actually called Flower town :( :gay:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you really want to play a certified awesome single player TPS, get RE Revelations.

Seconding this.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

eightysixed posted:

Wow. Yea, definitely not doing that - what a grind. I thought I would at least get the title of "Master Gardener" or whatever like it said at the beginning once I hit 80, but no such luck. I'm calling it a day. Also, I called it Flower Power, when its actually called Flower town :( :gay:

Seconding this.

just grow the plants man why you trying to turn it into a job

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

If anyone is interested I have a copy of Pokemon Omega Ruby that I'd like to trade for Link Between Worlds. I figure they're both first party and will both keep their value forever so if you've just done everything there is to do in LBW then take a look at my thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703277

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Turtlicious posted:

How dumb is cutting apart the game cart cases to get those little cart holders out and super gluing them to the back of my nu3dsm, My girlfriend shouted at me "What are you doing!?" over and over then ripped the thing out of my hands getting krazy glue everywhere. was it really that bad of an idea?

lmfao. your gf is smart cherish her

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
There's a fine line between insane stupidity and very bad trolling

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

epsilon posted:

If anyone is interested I have a copy of Pokemon Omega Ruby that I'd like to trade for Link Between Worlds. I figure they're both first party and will both keep their value forever so if you've just done everything there is to do in LBW then take a look at my thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703277

Hahahaha oh god the avatar is great!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

epitasis posted:

just grow the plants man why you trying to turn it into a job

But I already grew all 80 mannnnnnn :saddowns:

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Red Robin Hood posted:

Hahahaha oh god the avatar is great!

I don't have them turned on as I mostly browse on mobile, what is it? I hope it says my new catchphrase.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

epsilon posted:

I don't have them turned on as I mostly browse on mobile, what is it? I hope it says my new catchphrase.

You can just tap the arrow besides your name to see it. Yes, it's redtext of your new catchphrase.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's everyone's favorite Sega 3D classic so far?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Housh posted:

What's everyone's favorite Sega 3D classic so far?

shinobi streets of rage or galaxy force

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is there a good online game that we can all play to kill each other? I wanted it to be Ironfall but I have a negatively fun time playing it

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

steel divers sub wars

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

Is there a good online game that we can all play to kill each other? I wanted it to be Ironfall but I have a negatively fun time playing it

Kid Icarus

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Seconding Steel Diver. But what about Smash? :haw:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

I tried Ironfall today and then went back and played a few Kid Icarus matches online and wow what a loving difference. Also Kid Icarus loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Game's pretty over rated. It's not terrible or anything but it certainly isn't the best of the snes era RPGs.

Secret of Mana, Ogre Battle, and Final Fantasy 6 were all better games.

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen was interesting but not that good and no I'm definitely not just trying to get people to talk about it