Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Riker hitting the alien with :biotruths: like "men are usually physically bigger"

I don't think that means what you think it means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The awkwardness and sting before the commercial break makes me think the androgynous aliens aren't allowed to get too friendly with other species or something.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Marshal Radisic posted:

For my money though, the best mirror universe explanation comes from Diane Duane's Dark Mirror, which has the Enterprise-D getting sucked into the mirror universe as part of a Terran Empire plot to conquer the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. (Suffice to say, this was written before DS9's mirror universe excursions.) There's a section where Picard has gone undercover and is looking through his counterpart's collection of books, and he's horrified to find Shakespeare's plays in this universe are far more vicious and cruel. (Duane does this lovely faux-excerpt from The Merchant of Venice which depicts Shylock getting his pound of flesh.) After looking through the books, Picard surmises that it wasn't any one thing that made the humans of the mirror universe act the way they do; it was more of a "slow moral inversion" that happened gradually over millennia, even going as far back as whenever Homer was writing in ancient Greece. (Pointedly, Picard decides not to touch the Bible in his counterpart's quarters.)

I quite like the joke on Enterprise's mirror episode where Phlox looks through the classical literature and apparently theirs is much crueler and darker than ours - except Shakespeare, who is 'equally grim in both universes'.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:stonk: OOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Apparently "androgynous" just means "women with a caricature of a butch pixie cut"

Oh and one of them has a weird deep voice.

Fun fact: Johnathan Frakes lobbied really hard for them to actually have the main androgynous guest character be played by a man.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I thought the Orville was last night! :haw:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think I've figured out what's bothering me about the Discovery dialogue; none of the lines feel like they're being delivered, naturally and for the first time; it feels like an on-book line reading, with characters waiting to say their next line instead of listening, absorbing, and responding.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Presented without context.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh boy they're curious

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Crusher: "You're saying it's a woman's game because women are weak and need more help?"
Worf: "Yes."

Lol

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Presented without context.

He must have read his stage direction out loud by accident.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drink-Mix Man posted:

He must have read his stage direction out loud by accident.

Holy poo poo lol

I dig the forcefield effects on Discovery

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The alien just explained that on rare occasions they can be born with a "tendency" toward maleness or femaleness and that they're one of the latter. Reminds me of that Orville episode, and also strikes me as the producers going even further than having a female actor to "no homo."

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WHoa, if she was caught being attracted to Riker she'd be sent to the alien equivalent of those camps where they shock gay guys' nuts like the vice-president did.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Hey, from my Control Panel just now, it's the SA nerd equivalent of hitting 80085 on a speedometer.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is heavy

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So would the alien still have had the female tendency thing if they were played by a male actor?

Also I just realized they used male pronouns when telling the story about their classmate who preferred maleness.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Geordi with the beard out of nowhere

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Do you pause the episodes to post all of these thoughts?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey, from my Control Panel just now, it's the SA nerd equivalent of hitting 80085 on a speedometer.

Thank you for posting this -- I didn't know they had a separate thread about STDs. I only ever saw this one so I just assumed this was the place to talk about that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

Do you pause the episodes to post all of these thoughts?

Yeah. That's why it usually takes more than 44 minutes to get through them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

There's the kiss

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Yeah if that had been a male actor 90s people would have lost their loving minds.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

loving hell they arrested her

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Someone telling a court that they're female and it's not wrong reminds me of that Orville episode again.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This had to be an allegory for homosexuality right?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Yep no doubt.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The judge's explanation of how they get happier after their gender removal treatment is making me sick to my stomach. I want Riker to just rescue her with phasers blazing

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf is being a bro to Riker even after he refused to help him with the ritual last episode. He's so pure.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wait a second the only way for this to end is for Soren to refuse to be rescued isn't it? I hope they don't do that poo poo.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh gently caress off she's doing it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think you can read it a few ways but that's definitely the big one.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The fact that they successfully brainwashed her makes this one of the darkest episodes ever

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

And it's just over.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

There are a lot of times I think the characters don't react to things with enough emotion and Riker at the end there was a good example. I mean clearly he was disturbed but if I was in that situation I would have been so pissed and sad I'd look like that one Wojak.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Yeah, this episode was mentioned quite a few times in the Orville thread last week, for obvious reasons :v:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I believe Riker invoked the No Homo clause

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Is this on the campus of the University of Wisconsin-Madison?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

vermin posted:

I believe Riker invoked the No Homo clause

Riker invoked the Who Gives A poo poo If I Have A Spaceboner clause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Just started watching And The Children Shall Lead Them. Ring a round the Rosie. A-Tisket A-Tasket incidental music every few seconds as children dance at a mass funeral. I got a good feeling about this.

I hope this is the Clint Howard episode

Edit: if Janeway were here she'd start smacking the kids around

Picard would lock them all on the holodeck til he could pawn them off on someone else, or put them in the brig

vermin fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 30, 2017