Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

oh man ive been thinking about a new avatar lately but im also liking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

baahhahahaahahahha

pram
Jun 10, 2001
know what it looks like it needs? a kickstand

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

note: the screen wobble here is basically how it acts when you're typing on it while it rests on a table, based on the show videos at least

edit: gently caress I just watched the Verge video, how in the hell is this even considered the slightest bit viable with that ridiculous screen wobble

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 22, 2015

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

note: the screen wobble here is basically how it acts when you're typing on it while it rests on a table, based on the show videos at least

edit: gently caress I just watched the Verge video, how in the hell is this even considered the slightest bit viable with that ridiculous screen wobble

it does everything a MacBook PRo can do but without the ridiculous apple tax! and it becomes a tablet. BAM

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

omg the tablet battery life is ~3 hours

but the HINGE

pram
Jun 10, 2001

THC posted:

it does everything a MacBook PRo can do but without the ridiculous apple tax! and it becomes a tablet. BAM

pc does WHAT

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i love people who look at this poo poo for drawing because one minor detail about these pieces of poo poo is that the pen strokes always lag slightly behind the pen

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Yeah I was just watching the Verge review and he was like "the drawing lags behind the pen a little bit but its still pretty good!" and its like. 1) who even uses a stylus honestly, and 2) if you do use a stylus regularly because you're an artist or whatever, seems like perfect responsiveness would be crucial to your sanity

In other news I wonder how long it will be before we see a report of someone's Surface Book's screen absolutely scratched to poo poo from stuff slipping in the gap while being lugged around

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

i love people who look at this poo poo for drawing because one minor detail about these pieces of poo poo is that the pen strokes always lag slightly behind the pen
on a 2.5ghz i7 with 3 hours of battery life

Linguica posted:

Yeah I was just watching the Verge review and he was like "the drawing lags behind the pen a little bit but its still pretty good!"
from the video 'a little bit' is loving massive

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

verge? shilling garbage for microsoft?!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phoenixan posted:

ya they really hosed their only decent niche when they moved away from wacom

but now wacom has a similar unit on the market so that would have happened anyways

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
all 2 of my art friends who bought surface pro 3's basically regretted their purchase and wished they saved up to buy a cintiq instead

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phoenixan posted:

all 2 of my art friends who bought surface pro 3's basically regretted their purchase and wished they saved up to buy a cintiq instead

ya surface 2 is the model to go for, mix of decent battery life over the surface 1 while still being wacom tech in the screen. but the actual smart choice is a cintiq companion if u want arttablet

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the correct choice is loving ink on paper and a high-resolution camera, you animals

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it is good and just that these people suffer

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
of course it doesn't help that windows is a piece of poo poo that sometimes forgets that pressure sensitivity is a thing until you reboot it

ever since i went mac + wacom tablet i haven't had it gently caress up my pressure or strokes once

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

ever since i went mac + wacom tablet i haven't had it gently caress up my pressure or strokes once

nice. how many strokes per minute? do you use a performance lube?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

duTrieux. posted:

the correct choice is loving ink on paper and a high-resolution camera, you animals

lmao if u dont use oils. lmao if ur work doesnt take a literal century to properly dry. just

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the correct choice is an ipad pro + apple pencil

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
microsoft realized that they accidentally appealed to a group (artists that want a drawing tablet but dont want to pay wacom prices) and decided to outsource the third's tech and drivers to some garbage company in israel

basically nothing about microsoft or the surface makes sense

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cremnob posted:

the correct choice is an ipad pro + apple pencil

sure, if you're an idiot.

'i want to draw something! let me first remove all tactile information and control over the thing i'm drawing and then simulate it again in software"

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

duTrieux. posted:

nice. how many strokes per minute? do you use a performance lube?
many little strokes to build up pressure

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Neurolimal posted:

microsoft realized that they accidentally appealed to a group

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
monoprice drawing pads are pretty cheap and good quality, from other buyer accounts (not mine, first one worked just fine) they have the monoprice trademark of half their stock being busted, but they'll keep shipping you returns until you get one that is fine

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

sure, if you're an idiot.

you do realize you're quoting cremnob right

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

mishaq posted:

you do realize you're quoting cremnob right

you think that i actually pay attention to who i'm quoting?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

only cowards and zygotes block posters

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
fone drawing in general is really stupid

the adobe pen is almost alright but that may just be the gimmicks making me look at it in a brighter light

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
the old tablet pcs with wacom digitizers also had a noticeable lag when drawing. im really curious to see if the ipad pencil is lag-free

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
love the Milanese loop on display in that verge video. classing it up.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
oh great so the only windows laptop with a decent trackpad is a pos in every other way. good stuff.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Nelson MandEULA posted:

oh great so the only windows laptop with a decent trackpad is a pos in every other way. good stuff.
yeah first of all you have to install boot camp,

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

just lol forever that they have to compare it to a macbook...

"Yeah the trackpad is almost as good as the macbooks"

Just loving do something right for once you useless pos compay...

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
oh my god

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2995599/laptop-computers/surface-book-vs-macbook-pro-it-isnt-twice-as-fast-its-three-times-as-fast.html

clickbait tech journalism at its finest, featuring gems such as :

-starting off by 'clarifying' that ms speficifcally meant the 13" rmpb, not the 15 w dgpu
-since like the rmpb the surface with a dgpu also has a i7 cpu, they take the tablet part of the i5 surface and attach it to the i7's base, creating their own sku
-ran tests in opengl for mac and directx for pc since otherwise it "wouldnt be fiar to the pc"
-closes with this line:

quote:

There's one last issue to address: Price. Some may argue it should be the $1,500 Surface Book against the $1,500 MacBook Pro 13.

This cuts to exactly what Microsoft is likely arguing: We figured out a way to put a GPU in a 13-inch laptop, while Apple and all other PC makers couldn’t or wouldn’t do it.

The Surface Book's premium price is what a premium is about. You can’t get discrete graphics in any MacBook Pro, but you can on the Surface Book. And the payoff is clear.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Trying to use outlook web there is no way to create a filter based on the sender's name, only email address, and there is no way to do OR inside a rule, only AND, so I'm having to do multiple rules. It's really funny how every microsoft product is aways inferior in multiples ways to the stuff you usually use.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
oh and random retarded stuff like not being able to run your rules on your inbox is just the icing on the cake, what the gently caress is wrong with these people

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
genuinely trying to decide between a nontouch xps 13 and a macbook 12 inch. windows 10 is tolerable...

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Dislike button posted:

oh my god

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2995599/laptop-computers/surface-book-vs-macbook-pro-it-isnt-twice-as-fast-its-three-times-as-fast.html

clickbait tech journalism at its finest, featuring gems such as :

-starting off by 'clarifying' that ms speficifcally meant the 13" rmpb, not the 15 w dgpu
-since like the rmpb the surface with a dgpu also has a i7 cpu, they take the tablet part of the i5 surface and attach it to the i7's base, creating their own sku
-ran tests in opengl for mac and directx for pc since otherwise it "wouldnt be fiar to the pc"
-closes with this line:

lol good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

After 8 hours, I called it a day. The MacBook Pro 13 was reporting 19 percent battery life with 2 hours of estimated battery life left. The Surface Book was reporting 29 percent with 2:26 left. I could have taken both down to zero, but I wasn't going to sit in my cubicle and watch the moon rise.

welp there you have it the estimated time left is completely infallible and totally linear

here's an idea, point a camera at your 2 laptops you hack

• Locked thread