Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

A Spherical Sponge posted:

How does that work as you develop a taste for things? like for example I used to hate the taste of olives and marmite and similar half bitter salty savoury things, but now I think they're delicious. Does it just feel like you develop an appreciation for the already existing sound-taste, or does the sound change to become more consonant with other flavours? Our taste preferences are pretty plastic from what I can tell, whereas music appreciation seems more static to me, so I'm just curious how they interact

As I've gotten older my taste preferences have really changed. Now I'm all about sour and / or savory, like plain yogurt, and prefer dark bitter chocolate opposed to milk chocolate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Companion Cube posted:

Like those other two people, my collagen is Not As Others'. Not sure if related but also I have a hard time with temperatures. Like I never seem to be the right temperature; people tell me my hands are cold but my body is simultaneously really warm, or my hands are hot when other folks' are cold in the same room. T-shirt weather for me is like 50 degrees F and at any temperature above 75 I get pink and exhausted after even a little bit of exertion, and feel dizzy and sometimes pass out or get what appears to be heat exhaustion if I push it too far. My friends sometimes make fun of me for needing a fainting couch. One makes references to Lovecraft's "Cool Air." It doesn't seem to be about the exercise itself, just the temperature; I can do normal stuff, jog or lift or cycle or whatever, as long as I'm effectively refrigerated.

marfans is a fibrillin dysfunction btw

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Have Blue posted:

A meal is basically a song to me. When I was a little kid I actually sang along with my food and I can still catch myself humming when I eat sometimes. So I'm having a great time jammin out to a sushi lunch and then *HOONK*

gross
What happened to your Schmorkatar?

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

A Spherical Sponge posted:

How does that work as you develop a taste for things? like for example I used to hate the taste of olives and marmite and similar half bitter salty savoury things, but now I think they're delicious. Does it just feel like you develop an appreciation for the already existing sound-taste, or does the sound change to become more consonant with other flavours? Our taste preferences are pretty plastic from what I can tell, whereas music appreciation seems more static to me, so I'm just curious how they interact

I've always been a fairly picky eater :shrug: In the few cases I've changed my mind about a food it's been more of the latter, working the new sound/taste into how I perceive things. My music taste is definitely more eclectic, but sounds don't trigger as intense a taste as vice versa so that might have something to do with it.

a hole-y ghost posted:

What happened to your Schmorkatar?

NITW has nothing to do with schmorky afaik. In any case I'm a dog now

woof

Solice Kirsk posted:

Start an ask/tell because I wanna ask like 1000 questions.

Sure. I just figured it was more of an interesting side thing rather than a whole thread topic.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
opened up an a/t thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842276

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

Due to a botched procedure I have three separate nails growing out of my big toe in a formation like a triceratops where they grow upwards in a tusk formation.

A diagram:

I just sorta file em all down at once like shining a shoe with a cloth.

I really want to see a photo of this that isn't MS paint.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

snowdoge posted:

I really want to see a photo of this that isn't MS paint.

I keep it all filed down so it looks unremarkable. The two side tusks I can pull out easily, and it feels really good when I do. But the problem is that they grow deep inside the toe, and will heal over trapping a nail inside of me that easily becomes infected as it tries to break through the toe-flesh, which is wildly painful. My last operation was described as "a bit of a dig" to try and and ablate that rogue nail bed, but it was unsuccessful.

The middle nail only grows up and not out, but once that nail gets around a half cm thick it starts to sort of dry up and curl around itself which compresses my few remaining toe nerves, so I can't let it get long either.

So, apologies. I wish i could show off my two unique and functioning meatuses, but cannot in order to preserve my overall toe health.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

this sounds oddly erotic

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Depending on the consistency of my saliva I can slurp it up and down like a yoyo.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009

Spinster posted:

As I've gotten older my taste preferences have really changed. Now I'm all about sour and / or savory, like plain yogurt, and prefer dark bitter chocolate opposed to milk chocolate.

this ain't weird at all, those things are delicious and reserved for people who haven't poisoned their palates with nothing but candy, soda, and potato chips

try some pickled white anchovies on toasted focaccia

completely unrelated, but i just realized I'm old now

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I can go a week or two without eating and not feel it.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
The lower half of my left humerus is bent 5-10° toward my body because I broke it and the ortho doc's nurse put the brace on it backwards so it healed funny. It would require surgery and re-breaking to fix it, but it doesn't really cause a problem as it is.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

shadow puppet of a posted:

I keep it all filed down so it looks unremarkable. The two side tusks I can pull out easily, and it feels really good when I do. But the problem is that they grow deep inside the toe, and will heal over trapping a nail inside of me that easily becomes infected as it tries to break through the toe-flesh, which is wildly painful. My last operation was described as "a bit of a dig" to try and and ablate that rogue nail bed, but it was unsuccessful.

The middle nail only grows up and not out, but once that nail gets around a half cm thick it starts to sort of dry up and curl around itself which compresses my few remaining toe nerves, so I can't let it get long either.

So, apologies. I wish i could show off my two unique and functioning meatuses, but cannot in order to preserve my overall toe health.

Is there a way to permanently remove a nail? What are toenails even good for anyway

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Yes, you can permanently remove nails. I'm not a doctor but my understanding is that it requires surgically digging out the cells that generate the nail material. Some idiot ultra marathoners have done that because of recurrent nail trauma.

It's dumb, nails don't do much but the process of removal is dumber. Nails are probably vestigial but useful occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I fell asleep on a plane once and when I woke up I couldn't feel my right hand. It came back eventually but now my right pinkie doesn't work right. If I try to hold all my fingers together (like doing a karate chop) my right pinkie will stick out at an angle from my ring finger. It looks dumb.

I also have synaesthesia but not the cool interesting kind, just sounds / colors and letters / colors :I

• Locked thread