Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, sort of like that, only a bit more streetable, and mid-engine.

That is mid-engine. Everything you see is turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

Kinda funny considering the context of him driving up a goddamn mountain with no guard rails.

This was a good watch (same event) from jalopnik until the tragic end.

http://jalopnik.com/this-incredibly-fast-ls-swapped-datsun-240z-on-mt-wash-1796886016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyPzalFDFMk

Hillclimbs in cars aren't really on the top level of motorsports risk :v:
I think that's mostly left to Irish road racing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar

BlackMK4 posted:

The Isle of Man TT averages 2.5 deaths for every time the 1-week event is held. Are there any other regularly scheduled races with that kind of kill count?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

The Isle of Man TT averages 2.5 deaths for every time the 1-week event is held. Are there any other regularly scheduled races with that kind of kill count?

Dakar's pretty lethal innit?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Slavvy posted:

Dakar's pretty lethal innit?

Depends on the number of snipers.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Goddamn Tusken raiders.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Darchangel posted:

Someone's been watching Initial D.

edit: god damnit.

No. Except I want a conventional upright engine poking up through the floor, so maybe not so much "sleeper".

edit:

Yeah, sort of like that, only a bit more streetable, and mid-engine.

Exactly what do you think is in a normal previa, and where?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BlackMK4 posted:

Land Speed Records.

Or if you go to water, every person that has tried to beat Ken Warby has died and the offical death rate is 85% since 1940 for the WSR. No one other than Warby has gone past 300 mph and lived... which when you understand that even the slighest chop can send a boat doing 300kph+ into the air and destory it becomes clear that is one motorsport you are highly likely to die.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Land Speed Records.

Or if you go to water, every person that has tried to beat Ken Warby has died and the offical death rate is 85% since 1940 for the WSR. No one other than Warby has gone past 300 mph and lived... which when you understand that even the slighest chop can send a boat doing 300kph+ into the air and destory it becomes clear that is one motorsport you are highly likely to die.

JFC :stare:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

The Grand National?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Land Speed Records.

:black101:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Land Speed Records.

Wikipedia posted:

Australian Ken Warby broke the Anglo-American domination when he piloted his Spirit of Australia to 464.46 km/h (288.60 mph) to beat Lee Taylor's record. Warby, who had built the craft in his back yard, used the publicity to find sponsorship to pay for improvements to the Spirit. On 8 October 1978 Warby travelled to Blowering Dam, Australia, and broke both the 480 km/h (300 mph) and 500 km/h barriers with an average speed of 511.12 km/h (317.6 mph). As he exited the course his peak speed as measured on a radar gun was approximately 552 km/h (345 mph).

Warby's record still stands as of 14 February 2015. There have only been two official attempts to break it, both resulting in the death of the driver.

:allbuttons::australia: I salute you

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

I have never watched or read Initial D because my AI anime was Yoroshiku Mechadock

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Cross posting from the craigslist thread

Someone go buy this thanks

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Speaking of 90s vans... is it wrong that I want to mod a Previa to be a sleeper?

There are a lot worse vans you could be starting with. Mid engined, available RWD, AWD, manual, and with a factory supercharger.

What minivan could possibly be a better starting point?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Exactly what do you think is in a normal previa, and where?

It's a 4-banger on it's side under the floor in a stock Previa. It's front engine V8 in THAT Previa. Meet in the middle, as it were.

edit:
Something along the lines of this or Supervan, but more subtle.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 18, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

There are a lot worse vans you could be starting with. Mid engined, available RWD, AWD, manual, and with a factory supercharger.

Well, the Astro/Safari twins were RWD or AWD, with a 4.3L V6, can easily swallow a V8 in the stock location, and can have a beefy enough rear axle to handle it. Nowhere near as cool looking as Toyota's space capsule, though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The transfer case in the astros is also close to what was shipped in the syclone. Just sayin.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

V8-swapping an Astro is also well-researched at this point. An LSx fits nicely, and can even be made emissions-legal if you have to worry about that. I reeeeeaaally wanted to swap my wife's Astro at some point, but alas, she traded it in.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BoostCreep posted:

The only minivan with good go-fast aftermarket support would be those 2.5 turbo Caravans, right? Not that you end up with a better... sports van.

^^^ oh yeah, any van with a LS-compatible bellhousing and engine bay.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BoostCreep posted:

I don't know if you guys ever got the first gen Mazda MPV, but they were big engine bay/rwd/V6 from the factory. There was a dude in Sydney in the late 90s that put a huge turbo on his, ran 12s with it until he blew the engine up, then did a Holden V8 swap. LS motors are a lot more common here now but couldn't be had for less than $extortion at the time.

Edit: cool, they came with lockable 4wd in Japan.

Memento fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 18, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Paging previa_fun

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BoostCreep posted:

VW Type 2. Ok, it's a crap platform from a performance perspective, but you'll be too stoned to care.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For the cost of a type 2, you could buy a Ferrari.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Everything about that is the most Australian poo poo I've ever heard :lol:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Memento posted:

I don't know if you guys ever got the first gen Mazda MPV

If you mean one of these. Then yeah, we got those in the US. Good loving luck finding one these days though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BlackMK4 posted:

Everything about that is the most Australian poo poo I've ever heard :lol:

You should see Warby's boat in person - it's in the Aust Maratime Museum. It's smaller than you would think and made from wood and fibreglass - it's in no way as well built as you would expect a WSR to be. It looks exactly like you would think an amateur boatbuilder would come up with working in a suburban backyard (Not even in a garage...!). Almost all other WSR boats are far, far bigger and of course far better built.

I think they even towed to to Blowering with a panel van - Warby himself was a Makita salesman and bought the engine surplus and not running for 69 dollars. The more you know about Warby and the boat, the frankly more unbelievable it is the drat thing floated, let alone is the sole suriviving boat to go over 400 kph.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You should see Warby's boat in person - it's in the Aust Maratime Museum. It's smaller than you would think and made from wood and fibreglass - it's in no way as well built as you would expect a WSR to be. It looks exactly like you would think an amateur boatbuilder would come up with working in a suburban backyard (Not even in a garage...!). Almost all other WSR boats are far, far bigger and of course far better built.

I think they even towed to to Blowering with a panel van - Warby himself was a Makita salesman and bought the engine surplus and not running for 69 dollars. The more you know about Warby and the boat, the frankly more unbelievable it is the drat thing floated, let alone is the sole suriviving boat to go over 400 kph.

They are making a second one! It went to the paint shop in Febuary which was the last update I can find on it:
http://warbymotorsport.com/Spirit_of_Australia_II.php

Look at the nose!

tobu fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 19, 2017

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Trap sprung. Sperg post incoming.

IIRC the Previa's engine (2TZ-FE/FZE) isn't exactly the same but it essentially a spiritual ancestor to the RZ series found in the early Tacos that took boost fairly well.

That said you're definitely going to be fighting the weird rear end packaging. I think the best sleeper Prrevia would probably be the 2TZ-FZE motor with the five speed but those are rare as hen's teeth. I know for sure you could never purchase a 4wd/5speed/supercharger package from the factory.

I have no idea why I like those vans so much either. They're not fast (obviously) and don't handle that well even with the mid engine and they're a pain in the rear end to work on but I love that they encapsulate peak 90s Japanese weirdness. Engine accessories, for example, were mounted up front but driven off a driveshaft mounted to the front of the crank. The radiator and fan were up front and the water pump was on the engine block and driven by an internal chain. There was even a tiny little intercooler up front for the supercharged models.

I'd drive the poo poo out of that V8 swapped one, too.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 19, 2017

lordofthefishes
Mar 30, 2008

01000111 01010010 01000101 01000101 01010100 01001001 01001110 01000111 01010011 00100000 01000110 01000101 01001100 01001100 01001111 01010111 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001110 01000001 01000100 01001001 01000001 01001110 01010011
Surprised no one has mentioned the Espace F1 yet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dGUyIOGVa0M

:black101:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Darchangel posted:

It's a 4-banger on it's side under the floor in a stock Previa. It's front engine V8 in THAT Previa. Meet in the middle, as it were.

edit:
Something along the lines of this or Supervan, but more subtle.

Ah, I didn't know they were on their side, gotcha.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

BoostCreep posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUXss-aeZ9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja2yg4MArew

i don't know if it's a good starting point but I can't imagine it would be more than three grand to slam one together

e:windows movie maker in full effect

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Q_res posted:

If you mean one of these. Then yeah, we got those in the US. Good loving luck finding one these days though.

For like 3 months I swore there was a bro-dozer firing up outside my apartment window at 5:30AM and rolling out at 5:40AM every morning with a crappily tuned exhaust and a weird cam. Until I wandered to take the garbage out during that timeframe and realized it was a roached MPV with an exhaust that ends somewhere about 18" from the headers, that hadn't had it's oil changed since about 1999.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Angry vampire car

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Angry vampire car

'59 Impala

Q_res posted:

Why have you used mspaint to give it wide tires and scribble out some bits on the side? :crossarms:

E: and rimmzzzz

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Raluek posted:

'59 Impala

Vlad the '59 Impala

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The trophy is still in the St George Motor Boat Club on Kogarah Bay. Ken's local club.

http://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/land-speed-racing-australia/land-speed-racing-australia-ken-warby.html

There is a pic here.

The rudder on Warby's boat looks like it was cut with a blowtorch out of 1/4" mild steel plate, and probably is. Its not sharp or nicely shaped at all.

The Jet came from Williamstown RAAF Base near Newcastle. It was basically a donation.

I saw it run on Kogarah Bay in the seventies during one of the Clubs Race Days.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

let alone is the sole suriviving boat to go over 400 kph.

I think he was radared at 344 mph / 555 kph max with the upgraded boat. It's mind-boggling.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 19, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

'59 Impala

Why have you used mspaint to give it wide tires and scribble out some bits on the side? :crossarms:

E: and rimmzzzz

I think it's just a picture they grabbed from Google images, that someone was using to mock up their sick modz. Aren't those Supra wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Anyone want to tell me what this awesome car is:

It's shown up to Exotics at Redmond Town Center pretty often. Has no branding on it whatsoever, and isn't in that great of shape, yet they keep putting it in the line. It's far more mysterious and exciting than 95% of the other cars that show up simply because I have no clue what it is.

An Aston Martin DBR2 Also shows up regularly, it is also a cool car.