Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1419810826593181696

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

First reply I see of course has to throw shade on police abolition/defund the police, although the police did gently caress all to stop this and the city won't cut their budget.

I mean how ironic that the police can do literally nothing and some bootlicker will crawl out of the woodwork to tell us this proves why we need the police.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jul 27, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The police are a weird fetish object whose efficacy in yielding public safety is unrelated to the support they can garner from a subset of dipshits. They're the political equivalent to holding your breath and making a wish when you go through a tunnel, but only if doing so meant a number of people were extra-judicially murdered each year.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
good thing it can't happen here I say, sipping my latte as the cops bulldoze hoovervilles and the state burns around me

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-07-27/likely-california-voters-now-almost-evenly-split-on-newsom-recall-poll-finds

Likely California voters now almost evenly split on Newsom recall, poll finds

"Californians who say they expect to vote in the September recall election are almost evenly divided over whether to remove Gov. Gavin Newsom from office, evidence of how pivotal voter turnout will be in deciding the governor’s political fate, according to a new UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies poll co-sponsored by the Los Angeles Times.

"The findings dispel the notion that California’s solid Democratic voter majority will provide an impenetrable shield for Newsom, and reveal a vulnerability created by a recall effort that has energized Republicans and been met with indifference by many Democrats and independent voters.

"The poll found that 47% of likely California voters supported recalling the Democratic governor, compared with 50% who opposed removing Newsom from office — a difference just shy of the survey’s margin of error."

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Centrist Committee posted:

good thing it can't happen here I say, sipping my latte as the cops bulldoze hoovervilles and the state burns around me

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-07-27/likely-california-voters-now-almost-evenly-split-on-newsom-recall-poll-finds

Likely California voters now almost evenly split on Newsom recall, poll finds

"Californians who say they expect to vote in the September recall election are almost evenly divided over whether to remove Gov. Gavin Newsom from office, evidence of how pivotal voter turnout will be in deciding the governor’s political fate, according to a new UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies poll co-sponsored by the Los Angeles Times.

"The findings dispel the notion that California’s solid Democratic voter majority will provide an impenetrable shield for Newsom, and reveal a vulnerability created by a recall effort that has energized Republicans and been met with indifference by many Democrats and independent voters.

"The poll found that 47% of likely California voters supported recalling the Democratic governor, compared with 50% who opposed removing Newsom from office — a difference just shy of the survey’s margin of error."
Since the article is paywalled, here's the source poll: https://www.igs.berkeley.edu/research/berkeley-igs-poll
(See Release #2021-13, July 27, 2021)

VikingofRock posted:

There are a lot of undecided / low-information voters who vote because it's their civic duty, or for who-knows-what reason, and some of them probably do vote D reflexively. Voter behavior is notoriously difficult to understand and elections can be won at the margins, so in general I'm pretty skeptical of arguments that a certain class of voter doesn't exist, or is negligible in size if the election is looking close.
Yeah, there a lot of different types of voters and you're exactly right. I was trying to get at what voter the poster was talking about exactly, more than say they don't exist. There's a lot of other things going on here.

Usually there's the voting barrier of getting people to the polls, as going to vote can be a pain in the rear end sometimes with everything else people are dealing with. If you look at the historical turnout for registered voters in CA elections, for say the last four Presidential elections and the last four Midterm (Gubernatorial) elections, there's about a 15-25 point split between General Elections and Midterms on participation, with more showing up to Presidential elections; Special elections however have wild participation rates among registered voters (1993 36.37%; 2003 (Davis Recall):61.20%; 2005 50.14%; 2009 28.40%). That makes sense; General and Midterms have a lot of candidates and reasons people could show up, yet Special Elections are particularized around one issue, and in most cases probably have less of the social drivers of Midterms or especially Presidential elections. In this particularized election, Republican voters have a stronger motivation to show up than Democrat voters (or so it seems; defending Gavin is not that powerful of a rallying cry imo), yet voter registration among Democrats is higher.

However, this will be, to the best of my knowledge, the second election in which all registered voters in California will be mailed a ballot. This lowers the :effort: barrier substantially, so maybe you'll see more low-motivation voters cast votes this election than they would otherwise due to the mail-in ballot, and maybe those low-motivation voters break more for keeping Gavin than not.

I'm still skeptical about the "only campaign for No on Recall" option without a backup candidate being a good idea for the Gavin campaign; I would say they could get someone who isn't more popular than Gavin, which should be easier than Davis, and run them and tell Democrats to vote party line on the ballot; No for Recall; Backup Candidate on Question 2. However, it's also been pointed out to me that, well... the roster of candidates for CA DEM have sucked for years. It's also bad on the CA GOP side. CA GOP only campaigns to preserve their regional principalities and eke out a political living while CA DEM rests of their laurels of holding a supermajority in the state. Maybe the candidate that I propose doesn't exist; and Gavin is less popular that originally presented, since while the turnout for the 2018 election that elected him was really high, it was also really high across the whole nation since it was the Midterms following the election of Donald Trump. Therefore, perhaps if Gavin's Lt. Governor ran, she might actually split the question 1 vote among would-be Democrat voters as suggested, as people would find her a more desirable replacement than keeping Gavin around (I don't know much about the Lt. Governor). I still think they could have found someone though that didn't outshine Gavin yet wasn't a total gaff machine, and that wouldn't split the Democrat-No-to-Recall vote, but meh.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 27, 2021

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I doubt anyone in the state could tell you who the Lt. Gov even is. She's a nonentity, a party functionary that's been awarded her positions, and she has no real base of support. Arguably she'd be ideal for a backup candidate, but then you have the blank slate problem where Dems who are unhappy with Newsom could project whatever they want onto her since they have no idea what she actually stands for.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is Gavin allowed to run for Governor again in 2022 if he gets successfully recalled? Not saying that he would or the Dems would even let him, just curious if you can run again after getting recalled.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
I tried looking for “Vote No on Recall” yard signs and found zero for sale. Only various signs for supporting the recall and for a bunch of the Rs running. If Newsom and the Dems gave a poo poo about turning out the D base to keep him in office they’d be handing out signs for free instead of only running TV ads.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DukeDuke posted:

I tried looking for “Vote No on Recall” yard signs and found zero for sale. Only various signs for supporting the recall and for a bunch of the Rs running. If Newsom and the Dems gave a poo poo about turning out the D base to keep him in office they’d be handing out signs for free instead of only running TV ads.

It's been accepted conventional wisdom among dem political strategists since like 2004 or earlier that yard signs are a waste of time and money.

They did not at all rethink this when trump having a zillion more yard signs than Hillary ended up being an early warning that trump voters were much much much much more excited to vote

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 28, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I remember my parents spent weeks trying to find a No on Prop 8 sign, and when they finally tracked one down it got stolen off the lawn in like a week, and were unable to find another one before the election.

Also irrespective of yard signs, the whole Dem strategy for the recall has been to not really acknowledge it at all. "Oh it's some dumb Republican outrage that we'll easily weather, don't validate it by giving it attention." Meanwhile there are Recall Newsom tents popping up at every other storefront I pass. Regardless of what actually happens, there is certainly an enthusiasm gap.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Sydin posted:

Is Gavin allowed to run for Governor again in 2022 if he gets successfully recalled? Not saying that he would or the Dems would even let him, just curious if you can run again after getting recalled.
At a casual glance of the election code: Yeah, he'd be allowed to run again, technically.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I don't actually think he would, and if he was stupid enough to he'd be toast: getting recalled would be the end of his political career - but I was curious if he was legally allowed to or not. Thanks. :)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

imo It absolutely wouldn't be the end of Gavin's career. He's still top dog in the state Dem machine and just put the guy who was the likely next in line in Harris's old seat. The only California Dems who could plausibly also run if a recalled Gavin did run again in 2022 would be:

- Steyer but he's possibly even more of a wet blanket.
- Kounalakis who is a non-entity (compare her name recognition now to Gavin's a year before he first ran for governor).
- Becerra but he just got a cushy Biden admin job.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Didn't Bustamante get floated out as a democratic candidate in the 2003 recall? I wonder if the analysis of that would have partially led to the idea of having no endorsed candidates this time around.

To be honest, I would recall Newsom if Schwarzenegger was running on the ballot (but he can't run, since he's termed out).

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

sb hermit posted:

Didn't Bustamante get floated out as a democratic candidate in the 2003 recall? I wonder if the analysis of that would have partially led to the idea of having no endorsed candidates this time around.

To be honest, I would recall Newsom if Schwarzenegger was running on the ballot (but he can't run, since he's termed out).

Huh. Can’t imagine feeling that strongly about Schwarzenegger’s totally milquetoast governorship. If we’re gonna bring back termed out governors, Moonbeam or bust

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Schwarzenegger sucked rear end and it is beyond bizzare to me how much people fetishize his governorship.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah the fact that he wasn't Pete Wilson doesn't mean that he wasn't lovely. I cannot understand why people like dude.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

Schwarzenegger sucked rear end and it is beyond bizzare to me how much people fetishize his governorship.

Yeah he was loving horrible what are you on about OP?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

sb hermit posted:

Didn't Bustamante get floated out as a democratic candidate in the 2003 recall?
Yeah he definitely ran. It was an odd mix of "Davis is great! But vote for me if he isnt!" And then he went and confused the Spanish and English word for Black's and :fork:

quote:

Jesus christ imagine the brain worms you have to have to think this

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sydin posted:

what's not to like, the dems would start passing california single-payer again lol

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Keep in mind that arnold can't run because he is termed out, so any real action would be speculation. Including a platform and current stance on hot button issues.

But, I made my statement as a hot take but from the heart and here are some half hearted statements to back it up.

• schwarzenegger is openly anti-trump, and it would be nice to have a prominent republican win a powerful elected office despite the numerous Trump rallies that attempt to tank his efforts.
  • Having a Republican in the state executive may give the legislature carte blanche permission to do ambitious stuff to see how the public and press react to it. Like extending medi-cal, or expanding or promoting low cost housing. It may get vetoed, but public sentiment may help to adjust it further to be more palatable to a democratic governor.
  • With only a year and some change to go, his milquetoast leadership will at least get the budget passed, and keep the wildfire fighting supplies coming. To be fair, he did block a budget because he did not want the state to take out a loan to address shortfalls. But with a current surplus, he's not likely to block it in favor of something dumb (like a wall on the southern border)
  • He will not be able to do any terminator movies in the meanwhile. Terminator 1 and 2 were great, but later ones could have been written better.

But given that the above fantasy will never come to pass in any shape or form, I will instead vote to keep Newsom for question 1, and our fellow goon Canasta_Nasty for question 2.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

sb hermit posted:

He definitely ran, as FilthyImp points out, and not only did he run but he ran against the wishes of CA DEM running on the "No on Recall, Yes for me" slogan. CA DEM wanted to run Gray Davis without any major Democratic contenders on the ballot on question 2... again on the wisdom to make the recall seem illegitimate, but... I think that only works early on? There was a ~10 point difference between Yes/No on Question 1 in the 2003 recall. Did Bustamonte drain enough votes from Yes to cause Gray Davis to be recalled? :shrug:
He was also ~17 points behind Schwarzenegger in the end... which isn't surprising. Apart from that gaffe he was outclassed in charisma by Schwarzenegger. Sure, Schwarzenegger was a bad governor, but he was a good candidate at the time.

I think it's different this time; Gavin is overvalued on popularity but he isn't as weak as Davis was. We'll see what happens come election time. Maybe Gavin will get like $200 million in campaign funding to get the vote out and it won't matter anyway.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I remember on Conan a lips cutout of Arnold called him "Lose Bustyourpantski" and college-age me was like :hmmyes:

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
My favorite recall runner was Arianna Huffington. She had a spiffy website with little JibJab-ish cartoons where she portrayed Davis, Bustamante and Schwarzenegger as whores and other things. Then, when she was polling at less than five percent, she dropped out of the race and just slapped a 'No On Recall' message at the end of these videos.

So you basically had, "Gray Davis is awful. NO ON RECALL."

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

*eyes roll up into skull, shrieking begins*

fake edit: THEY'RE STILL MAKING THESE

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Bringing up vaccine chat again

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/28/health/pfizer-third-dose-data-bn/index.html

Pfizer third dose authorization may come as early as August.

In the meanwhile...

quote:

In order for third doses to be administered to people in the United States, the emergency use authorization that the FDA issued for the vaccine would either need to be amended or, if the vaccine were fully FDA approved, a third dose could be given off label.

So, no, you cannot just walk in and get a 3rd dose unless you're willing to twist some arms or bend the truth.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

no hay camino posted:

So is anyone here planning on getting additional "booster" shots? I read that it's only needed for the immunocompromised.

Hell no, unless there is overwhelming evidence from sources unconnected to Pfizer that it has a substantial impact.

Did people just forget that pharmaceutical companies are mustache-twirling levels of evil, and Pfizer is no exception? We are still in the midst of an opioid epidemic where pharmaceutical companies were paying doctors to overprescribe medication which resulted in the death of hundreds of thousands and left even more addicted to the stuff. The recent news about Israel approving a 3rd shot for persons 60 and older is something to be aware of, but its not evidence that anyone needs a 3rd shot or even that it helps.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

BattleHamster posted:

Hell no, unless there is overwhelming evidence from sources unconnected to Pfizer that it has a substantial impact.

Just to clarify — would FDA EUA/approval of a Phase 3 trial conducted by Pfizer satisfy your criteria, or are you suggesting it needs to come from a trial that Pfizer was not involved in? If it’s the latter, then that standard probably won’t be met, but also I don’t think it was met for the current 2-dose EUAs either.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If a third shot becomes available and is free, then yeah I'll line up to get jabbed because I doubt it's gonna make anything worse, and if it really would boost immunity then let's loving go.

The problem is more that Pfizer has all the financial incentive in the world for it to turn out that COVID-19 shots are the new flu shot, and they've now got an infinite money train to ride. Likewise for the Federal government they not only don't want to have to subsidize 1-2 rounds of shots each year, but they're sick of having to touch the anti-vax stove and just want all this poo poo to go away. Delta may have scared them enough in the short term into advising a third jab, but if Pfizer or [insert pharma company] starts publishing research saying "hey you gotta get jabbed every year" there's going to be a ton of push back. The worst case scenario is we get to a point where pharma is saying you need recurring shots, the CDC is saying no you don't and also the Federal government ain't gonna be paying for them any more, and we all end up stuck between two sides - neither of whom has public health as their primary objective.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
So what recourse is there for the people that got the J&J vaccine, not the mRNA ones? When I got vaccinated back in March the Janssen one was the only one available that day and felt it foolish to be picky at the time.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Panfilo posted:

So what recourse is there for the people that got the J&J vaccine, not the mRNA ones? When I got vaccinated back in March the Janssen one was the only one available that day and felt it foolish to be picky at the time.

Throw away your vaxx card and go get mRNA

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

just make an appointment at walgreens or whatever to get one of the good ones

If you want to have a doctor's prescription you'll almost certainly be able to get your doctor to officially recommend that you should do it

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Is there a precedent for this? How many people have gotten multiple types of vaccines this way in the past year?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I've heard plenty of anecdotes of people who got the bad ones going back for one of the mrna ones and doctors recommending they do so but I doubt there's been any official government guidance since the official government line is still that all the American and European vaccines are equally effective (meanwhile the Chinese etc ones are dangerously unproven) and that the effectiveness is 95% which you should treat as 100%

There were some studies out of the UK I think where they gave people one shot each of two kinds of vaccines (eg a pfizer and an AZ instead of two pfizer shots) and said that it seemed to work fine

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 29, 2021

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Just to clarify — would FDA EUA/approval of a Phase 3 trial conducted by Pfizer satisfy your criteria, or are you suggesting it needs to come from a trial that Pfizer was not involved in? If it’s the latter, then that standard probably won’t be met, but also I don’t think it was met for the current 2-dose EUAs either.

Its not even about what kind of study they do, its about how I haven't heard a single person outside of doctors and CEOs from Pfizer say that a 3rd shot is a good idea right now. Every outside source that I can find (medical professional/healthcare agency) seems to be saying "this MIGHT be a good idea in the future but it needs more study, the current vaccines work really well against delta, and extra doses should go to all the countries where they don't have enough vaccine."

Pfizer has incredible financial incentive to sell a 3rd shot to rich countries, waaaaaay more than it does selling 1st and 2nd doses to poorer countries. IMO this alone should make you highly skeptical of getting a third shot. The delta variant was originally discovered in India and yet only 26% of the population has been vaccinated there and only 7.3% have been fully vaccinated. The idea that we should be getting 3rd shots to protect against a variant that likely originated from a country where most don't even have their first, let alone second, is absurd to me.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

BattleHamster posted:

Its not even about what kind of study they do, its about how I haven't heard a single person outside of doctors and CEOs from Pfizer say that a 3rd shot is a good idea right now.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1420497035296391170?s=20

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1420799038107144196?s=20

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BattleHamster posted:

Its not even about what kind of study they do, its about how I haven't heard a single person outside of doctors and CEOs from Pfizer say that a 3rd shot is a good idea right now. Every outside source that I can find (medical professional/healthcare agency) seems to be saying "this MIGHT be a good idea in the future but it needs more study, the current vaccines work really well against delta, and extra doses should go to all the countries where they don't have enough vaccine."

Pfizer has incredible financial incentive to sell a 3rd shot to rich countries, waaaaaay more than it does selling 1st and 2nd doses to poorer countries. IMO this alone should make you highly skeptical of getting a third shot. The delta variant was originally discovered in India and yet only 26% of the population has been vaccinated there and only 7.3% have been fully vaccinated. The idea that we should be getting 3rd shots to protect against a variant that likely originated from a country where most don't even have their first, let alone second, is absurd to me.

The financial incentive has no bearing on the efficacy of the vaccine. Don't let your distrust for Big Pharma cloud the many studies that have been done on how the vaccine effectively reduces the risk to individuals and how two doses is much more effective than one, and furthermore 3-4 months between doses is far more effective than 3-4 weeks-- it follows that the same would hold for a 3rd dose. There's no evidence otherwise.

Pfizer has incredible financial incentive to sell to rich countries because rich countries can pay. They are able to do that because they're selling good product. If you're getting a free shot, there's not much reason to be skeptical.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 29, 2021

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

linking two tweets that start with BREAKING and NEW as the first words...

Did you look into the decision by the Israeli Health Ministry? I linked an article in my previous post and not only is it for individuals over 60 years old, it also didn't seem to be a unanimous consensus and more of a test to see if it's actually is a good idea.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israeli-health-ministry-panel-recommends-third-covid-shot-for-older-people-1.10049085

quote:

Experts advising the Health Ministry have recommended that older people receive a third dose of the coronavirus vaccine, though they disagree on whether the cohort should start at 60 years old, 65 or 70.

Some of the data presented at a discussion Wednesday suggested that the vaccine's effectiveness in preventing severe symptoms among 60-year-olds and above has dropped to 81 percent from 97 percent in January.

While most panel members favored a booster shot for anyone 60 or older, others suggested that the bar be raised to 65 or 70. The Health Ministry's director general, Nachman Ash, will make the final decision.

Prime Minister Naftali Bennett will meet the health minister and other experts on Thursday to discuss the health or economic implications of the said move, a statement by the prime minister's office reads.

Earlier Wednesday, experts told Haaretz that there is still not enough data on the effectiveness and safety of a third dose, but they also expressed concerns about delaying the decision.

Prof. Galia Rahav, head of the infectious disease unit at Sheba Medical Center near Tel Aviv, will head a research team looking into the move. Rahav told Haaretz that she hopes to begin testing a third dose next week.

“We're seeing a dramatic drop in the level of immunity and we know the elderly respond less to vaccines than the young, but we don’t have this data for COVID-19,” she said.

On Tuesday, Prime Minister Naftali Bennett declared that Israel was “very close” to making a decision on COVID booster shots, and on obtaining the additional doses needed to make that happen.

Bennett's remarks came two weeks after the World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control said there was no need at this time for a third dose, but as Israeli Health Ministry data showed a sharp decline in the vaccine's effectiveness against infection and a slight decline in preventing severe illness.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you said that there have been no non-pfizer employees suggesting booster shots. the article you just posted says that a panel of experts recommended a booster shot to the israeli government. unless everyone on this panel and/or in the israeli health ministry is employed by pfizer, your statement that nobody is recommending booster shots that aren't on pfizer's payroll is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The financial incentive has no bearing on the efficacy of the vaccine. Don't let your distrust for Big Pharma cloud the many studies that have been done on how the vaccine effectively reduces the risk to individuals and how two doses is much more effective than one, and furthermore 3-4 months between doses is far more effective than 3-4 weeks-- it follows that the same would hold for a 3rd dose. There's no evidence otherwise.

Its about percentages and time frame. look at the article I just linked, specifically this part.

BattleHamster posted:

Some of the data presented at a discussion Wednesday suggested that the vaccine's effectiveness in preventing severe symptoms among 60-year-olds and above has dropped to 81 percent from 97 percent in January.

This is for individuals above 60 and afaik this decay in efficacy happens slower for people as you go down in age. I'm in my 30's and in fine health, I don't need a third shot just to gain a few extra percentage points especially if that vaccine can go to someone who is currently unvaccinated.

If this changes and a bunch of governments and doctors start saying its a good idea and that I'm now at risk even with 2 shots then I'll consider getting a third at that time. But that hasn't happened yet.