Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Qcv3YV4aA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shear Modulus posted:

rachel maddowism

Rachelism-Maddowism

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sydin posted:

Which really just punctuates how loving stupid it was for the CA DNC to decide not to run or endorse any backup candidate for the recall.

Having an undecided in the booth no viable D options for question 2 just reinforces a no vote on question 1.

They’re framing this as a “republican recall” which is the right thing to do.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FCKGW posted:

Having an undecided in the booth no viable D options for question 2 just reinforces a no vote on question 1.

and if enough people call their bluff?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I saw a commercial during Olympics coverage with the "Republican Recall" narrative saying it's an "undemocratic power-grab" that's "gaming the system" and just had to roll my eyes a little, because it doesn't count as gaming the system when it really is just that easy to have a clown-car recall in California.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Rachelism-Maddowism

Rachelist Maddowism?

gently caress I gotta figure out how to make this in Rimworld now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

and if enough people call their bluff?

You’ve got like 90% of Republicans voting for question 1 regardless of who the candidate is. If you have a viable D candidate in question 2 you’re cooked. It doesn’t matter who the best performing D is, the republican candidate will be elected regardless because you’ve split the vote.

Framing this recall as Newsom vs a Republican is the right way to do it

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

FCKGW posted:

Why is an undecided in the booth?

DownTheWell
Apr 19, 2007

Prosecute

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
So is anyone here planning on getting additional "booster" shots? I read that it's only needed for the immunocompromised.

Also what's up with these ads in BART stations staying up forever. I've seen the same ads for Kaiser Permanente for 2 years and these stations in the Mission keep reminding me of how I missed the already passed Frida Kahlo exhibition at the de young museum.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 26, 2021

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Sounds like God was sending a very clear message to him and he didn't heed it

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

There's no clear answer whether another shot is necessary yet. The drug companies are of course saying everyone needs one so they can make another jillion dollars and the government is of course saying nobody needs one so they can say everything is fine and covid is over, just like they said that nobody needs to wear face masks anymore. I'm probably going to try and get one since I don't want to get cheese lung

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

no hay camino posted:

So is anyone here planning on getting additional "booster" shots? I read that it's only needed for the immunocompromised.

Also what's up with these ads in BART stations staying up forever. I've seen the same ads for Kaiser Permanente for 2 years and these stations in the Mission keep reminding me of how I missed the already passed Frida Kahlo exhibition at the de young museum.

Until the CDC can be convinced to allow booster shots, I probably won't get one just yet.

But, like the flu shot, I expect booster shots to be offered annually. And the covid19 booster shot will probably start coming soon.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

DoomTrainPhD posted:

lmao that Gavin is going to be successfully recalled because he didn't file in time to be on the democrat ballot.

who exactly are the people who would automatically check the D box but aren't aware who Gavin Newsom is

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

no hay camino posted:

Sounds like God was sending a very clear message to him and he didn't heed it

yeah, i recall a sermon i heard in my youth about a man surrounded by flood waters turning down offers of rescue as his situation slowly deteriorates because he has faith that god will intercede. eventually he drowns and god tells him that all of the apparently mundane rescue offers were god's intervention. even if you have faith in miracles, the majority of them are not going to be a heavenly host of angels descending and laying on hands you egotistical pricks

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

There's no clear answer whether another shot is necessary yet. The drug companies are of course saying everyone needs one so they can make another jillion dollars and the government is of course saying nobody needs one so they can say everything is fine and covid is over, just like they said that nobody needs to wear face masks anymore. I'm probably going to try and get one since I don't want to get cheese lung

There was concern in the early mRNA studies that with repeated dosing that the lipid capsule that's used could lead to neurotoxicity, but those early studies were usually focused on the usage of mRNA therapies to replace a missing enzyme so the dose was more and more frequent.

At the moment I wouldn't trust Pfizer et al more than the government, Pfizer et al spent all the pandemic in development telling investors, "oh we totes are going to need a booster, and like yearly, it'll be great" and with some information saying, "hey maybe even naturally acquired immunity could get more effective over time, and maybe they only need 1 mRNA booster to get on par with mRNA havers after they're done with their infection" is a huge issue re: keeping their stock price up and investors happy.

You could certainly argue that the government is trying to make things sound better than they are. At the moment imo it's less, "government saying you don't need one" and more, "government is saying they're not going to pre-pay for massive vaccine doses because there's not evidence that a booster is necessary (yet)."

At the same time there's no current evidence that a booster would do anything for you unless you were an AZ (+/-) or JJ haver (or Sino/Sput) or immunocompromised. There's nobody even at the 6 mo booster time frame, I wouldn't go for anything less than a year or something that's made for variants (depending).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

no hay camino posted:

Yes, I will be getting a booster shot ASAP. No, I am not immunocompromised.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Same

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

BeAuMaN posted:

Why is an undecided in the booth?

goethe.cx posted:

who exactly are the people who would automatically check the D box but aren't aware who Gavin Newsom is

There are a lot of undecided / low-information voters who vote because it's their civic duty, or for who-knows-what reason, and some of them probably do vote D reflexively. Voter behavior is notoriously difficult to understand and elections can be won at the margins, so in general I'm pretty skeptical of arguments that a certain class of voter doesn't exist, or is negligible in size if the election is looking close.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Of a new FDA approved / CDC recommended booster if/when that happens? Or are you talking about going off label, getting a different existing vaccine shot e.g. you had pfizer x2 now you're planning on getting J&J?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No one should be planning on getting J&J, lol. I'll take whatever mRNA vaccine they give me, most likely Pfizer since that's what I got last time.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
If Kaiser tells me to come in and get a booster then I'll get a booster :shrug:

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No one should be planning on getting J&J, lol. I'll take whatever mRNA vaccine they give me, most likely Pfizer since that's what I got last time.

OK I think OP put "booster" in quotations because they're referring to going out now and pretending they need their first vaccine, to get the same again. Not an actual real booster.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

droll posted:

OK I think OP put "booster" in quotations because they're referring to going out now and pretending they need their first vaccine, to get the same again. Not an actual real booster.

The first and second vaccines are the same shot, but the second one reinforces your immune system and makes a considerable difference. Not sure why you'd think a third wouldn't work similarly, other than that it would be good to resequence the mRNA for Delta to boost effectiveness. Particularly since most people in the US got theirs 3-4 weeks apart and there's now evidence that 3-4 months is more effective.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not sure why you'd think a third wouldn't work similarly

Because I am not an expert, and experts say there's not enough data. Are you an expert with access to better data? Like if you can cite a source that shows the majority of experts are saying 'you should go out and get a third pfizer' despite the FDA/CDC not saying this yet, I'd be surprised but welcome it and go out and do it. But I don't think that has happened yet because I read the COVID D&D read and that's not what I'm reading.

droll fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 26, 2021

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Sounds like Newsom is requiring proof of vaccination for state employees to go maskless…I have a bee account but can’t login today for whatever reason. Maybe just let all of them stay remote instead? WFH seems to be going fine for 95% of the state workforce anyway.

https://twitter.com/fresnobee/status/1419711854386024448?s=21

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

droll posted:

Of a new FDA approved / CDC recommended booster if/when that happens? Or are you talking about going off label, getting a different existing vaccine shot e.g. you had pfizer x2 now you're planning on getting J&J?

I'm getting them black market augmented nanomachine boosters

droll posted:

No that's not what I meant sorry for the confusion, I mean a third shot to reinforce immunity.

I might get one myself because I'm going to be around a bunch of unvaccinated family members in like 2 weeks

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 26, 2021

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

no hay camino posted:

No that's not what I meant sorry for the confusion, I mean a third shot to reinforce immunity.

I might get one myself because I'm going to be around a bunch of unvaccinated family members in like 2 weeks

Then yes that is what you meant? You're going to get the same vaccines that are already available, using them in a way that was not approved/recommended by any authorities or plurality of experts, "just in case". Whether you're getting only 1 of the 2-doses isn't my point. It's just that you're doing something that hasn't been recommended and I was confirming what the people 'agreeing' with you thought. Because it's clear they didn't now.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

droll posted:

Because I am not an expert, and experts say there's not enough data. Are you an expert with access to better data? Like if you can cite a source that shows the majority of experts are saying 'you should go out and get a third pfizer' despite the FDA/CDC not saying this yet, I'd be surprised but welcome it and go out and do it. But I don't think that has happened yet because I read the COVID D&D read and that's not what I'm reading.

I have access to the highly-sought-after tool known as "deduction." If I waited for the CDC to tell me what to do before I did it, I would have COVID. Go ahead and don't get your third shot, I'm going to get one as soon as it is possible to do so, and I don't give a gently caress what you do.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I should clarify that I would take a booster if and when it becomes available, and they're not right now.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I have access to the highly-sought-after tool known as "deduction." If I waited for the CDC to tell me what to do before I did it, I would have COVID. Go ahead and don't get your third shot, I'm going to get one as soon as it is possible to do so, and I don't give a gently caress what you do.

Huh? We are agreeing with each other. When 3rd shots are available (recommended) we are both going to. There are people that are going out now and getting a 3rd shot because they think it might help, despite there not being a lot of data or recommendations. All I was asking was which one folks are doing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

There are data and some recommendations for third shots from other governments that have much higher vaccination rates than the US (eg Israel (in terms of vaccination rates for the people they actually want to vaccinate of course))

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 26, 2021

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

droll posted:

As of right now, any booster is going to be another shot of the same mrna vaccines already being given out. Both Pfizer and Moderna use identical shots for the first and second vaccine doses, and will also use the same shot for the 3rd dose. Industrious individuals can use this information, plus the fact that vaccines are being freely given out without any ID needed (in some locations) to get themselves a booster now.

no hay camino posted:

I should clarify that I would take a booster if and when it becomes available, and they're not right now.

They're available right now at your local CVS.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

droll posted:

Huh? We are agreeing with each other. When 3rd shots are available (recommended) we are both going to. There are people that are going out now and getting a 3rd shot because they think it might help, despite there not being a lot of data or recommendations. All I was asking was which one folks are doing.

If people are getting a 3rd shot right now, then a 3rd shot is available. That is not synonymous with "recommended by the government." You sound like one of those people holding off on the vaccine because it's not FDA approved.

If I could go out right now and get a 3rd Pfizer shot, I would.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

There are data and some recommendations for third shots from other governments that have much higher vaccination rates than the US (eg Israel (in terms of vaccination rates for the people they actually want to vaccinate of course))

Largely though the decision for a 3rd dose is because of people who didn't respond because they've got issues that makes them more likely to not respond to vaccines in the first place - immunocompromised and the very old. I saw a study done on transplant recipients that showed that a large chunk of those who didn't respond to 2 doses did so to 3 - but that doesn't mean that there's benefit right now for someone who responded appropriately (the absolute vast majority of otherwise normal people who got 2 doses of mRNA) to get another.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

REQUIRING PROOF OF VACCINATION?? YOU WILL REGRET THIS!?!

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If people are getting a 3rd shot right now, then a 3rd shot is available. That is not synonymous with "recommended by the government." You sound like one of those people holding off on the vaccine because it's not FDA approved.

If I could go out right now and get a 3rd Pfizer shot, I would.

I'm very confused. Why are you being hostile?

Did you leave CA/USA so you're unable to get a third shot like some people are by pretending they're going for their first but its actually their third?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Debate & Discussion > CA Politics: I'm very confused. Why are you being hostile?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

droll posted:

I'm very confused. Why are you being hostile?

Did you leave CA/USA so you're unable to get a third shot like some people are by pretending they're going for their first but its actually their third?

I was driving home and had this idea play over my mind without any suggestion of it so I'd keep high efficacy when peak delta death hits in about a month or so

Does that make me a bad person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Does that make me a bad person

Does it have any effect on anyone else on the planet getting theirs?