Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Random question: Has "rent control" ever worked or been effective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

I really like how Hillary's latest gains have evolved the azrying noise of the thread.

I'm assuming that on November 4th we'll see a poll showing that hillary's lead has eroded to 15 points in florida, and this thread will be prompted to freak out endlessly and 4 hot takes about how this is totally Sanders' fault.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bip Roberts posted:

It might buy him a day of news cycle about something that's not an abject disaster for him best case.

A day or two of possible news talking about Pence not loving up as badly as Trump, or being the "adult in the room" for the Trump campaign is technically a good result for Trump I guess? I can't see Kaine or Pence stomping the other like in past VP debates, or even the first POTUS debate of 2012 and 2016.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

No, I was proving that the US is good at the cyber and in fact is probably better than anyone else.

Doesn't really matter for the actual point at hand if none of those resources are used for securing election infrastructure. Like, it's actually counterproductive because it misleads idiots into a false sense of confidence/security.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Isn't the fact that they're already aware of the attempts a good indicator they're not succeeding swimmingly?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Night10194 posted:

Isn't the fact that they're already aware of the attempts a good indicator they're not succeeding swimmingly?

Yeah pretty much.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Evil Fluffy posted:

can't see Kaine or Pence stomping the other like in past VP debates, or even the first POTUS debate of 2012 and 2016.
I anticipate thinkfeeds that concern themselves with their religious views.

I can't really see other things being a point of contention that are actually interesting to people.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes, it works everyday for millions of people.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Night10194 posted:

I would be very surprised if you were getting anything close to the full picture, which probably only the Russians have (but hopefully we do too!), to be able to answer that question. But hey, I really don't know.

Edit: also, I'm not actually worried about Russians hacking anything, you guys just made some lovely arguments.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 4, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

punk rebel ecks posted:

I suppose you would need to define the parameters of what Works or Is Effective mean to you.

It's helped to keep my elderly mom in the house she's lived in for 25 years, so that's been pretty successful.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

fishmech posted:

Yes, it works everyday for millions of people.

FilthyImp posted:

I suppose you would need to define the parameters of what Works or Is Effective mean to you.

It's helped to keep my elderly mom in the house she's lived in for 25 years, so that's been pretty successful.

I recall reading in some thread about rent control not working and being part of loony leftist economic theory. Maybe they were referring to something similar to it but a different word? Or possibly city-wide/state-wide/nation-wide rent control?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I recall reading in some thread about rent control not working and being part of loony leftist economic theory. Maybe they were referring to something similar to it but a different word? Or possibly city-wide/state-wide/nation-wide rent control?

No, any concept that threatens to do anything less than line coffers is considered looney left theory.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Depends, is Keynes "loony leftist economics" to you?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't really see the debate helping Donald given him and Pence disagree on a lot of stuff that will surely be called out. It probably won't hurt him either because nobody gives a poo poo about Pence.

Sandeep
Mar 27, 2002

I should be working on Summoner 3 instead of engaging in political discussions

punk rebel ecks posted:

Obviously rent control benefits the people living in rent controlled buildings. The argument is usually that it hurts people that are moving in / young people who are moving into a new place. It advantages people that currently rent a place over people that do not yet live there (by driving up prices, reducing construction, etc). Whether you consider rent control "not working" or not depends on how you view these effects vs the advantages for the people that currently live somewhere.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Do you believe there are purposes to economic or social activities other than enriching property owners?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Debates going to be boring dad chat most likely. If it is, the race won't really change since well boring dad chat.

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Debates going to be boring dad chat most likely. If it is, the race won't really change since well boring dad chat.

I dunno; Pence might peel back his Meat-Mask to reveal himself as a terrifying new breed of Sentinel.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Personally, I've always been in favor of the Singaporing model. Just have the government own most of the apartments.

Sandeep posted:

Obviously rent control benefits the people living in rent controlled buildings. The argument is usually that it hurts people that are moving in / young people who are moving into a new place. It advantages people that currently rent a place over people that do not yet live there (by driving up prices, reducing construction, etc). Whether you consider rent control "not working" or not depends on how you view these effects vs the advantages for the people that currently live somewhere.

How does rent control "drive up prices"?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

greatn posted:

The best thing about "Hillary freed a child molester" is that in actuality she had him plea guilty.

No, the best thing is that you can follow this up with "but Trump is a child rapist" and not be too far from the truth.

greatn posted:

I've been thinking lately if Trump gives a concession speech it actually won't be vitriolic and questioning the results, it will be him going "Boy that was as lot of fun. I was almost president, wow. This has been such a great year and a half. Guess I'll go back to doing what I do best, let me tell you about some great hotels I'm working on." Just completely undermining the idea he was ever even serious.

He's burned so many bridges now that I doubt that'll happen.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Just checking but is a white dude using a young black woman as his fictional conservative mouthpiece

All conservative cartoonists seem to do this, create a black protagonist or mouthpiece so to voice their poo poo. It almost feels like it should be a Photoshop Phriday, where you replace them with their white creators to see how it really looks.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

What would you recommend from a policy standpoint to combat this? Obviously "unfuck the VA" and improve our foreign policy so we aren't inflicting what somebody smart in here once described as a "moral injury" on our vets, but what else would you like to see?

The best course of action? Make people pay their loving taxes! The only reason the VA is so hosed is due to Republicans cutting taxes, which deprives the government of income, which leads to budget cuts to prevent the government from going into debt.

It is literally the best retort to Trump trying to appeal to veterans. He's part of the reason why vets are killing themselves, if he paid his billion dollars, that whole program would be fully-funded.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm still not sure why Pence is even on Trump's ticket. He doesn't broaden Trump's appeal and Trump himself doesn't seem terribly fond of him.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

Personally, I've always been in favor of the Singaporing model. Just have the government own most of the apartments.

Someone moves out and landlord can jack up the price I think.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm still not sure why Pence is even on Trump's ticket. He doesn't broaden Trump's appeal and Trump himself doesn't seem terribly fond of him.

If reports are accurate he was a sop to the GOP who basically wanted someone more on their side on the Trump ticket.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/09/30/rape-allegations-refiled-against-trump.htm

My dad liked this on Facebook. How bullshit is it, big or very big?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tender Bender posted:

Just straight loving up the voter registration database for key "urban" areas would stop a ton of people from voting. Even if you KNOW it's an error, any post-election day drama about corrections, recounts, letting those who were denied get a chance to vote, is going to be a huge cluster gently caress even if it gets resolved.

Of course Trump is gonna lose regardless.
Or reduce the number of voting booths in counties that voted for Obama, citing budget concerns. That would cause 10 hour lines in Milwaukee and Detroit and Orlando and Miami and Cleveland and Charlotte.

If that horrible horrible voter manipulation happens in states with GOP Governors, WI, MI, NC, OH and FL go red.

That's my Arzy map.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Internet Kraken posted:

he needs someone to run the country for him

Justin Timberwolf
Jun 18, 2005

[instrumental]
So any bets on what the Wikileaks drop is about tomorrow? Roger Stone has promised us it will DEFINITELY BE THE END OF THE CLINTONS THIS TIME.

https://twitter.com/RogerJStoneJr/status/782443074874138624

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Let's say I, the property owner, want to earn $100 in rent. I have five apartments I can rent. Four of those are rent controlled at $10 per unit, as that is the rent the person agreed to when they moved in. The fifth unit is one I choose to rent at $60, in order to maintain the building, keep up with property taxes, and make the rest of my $100.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A33T0RihzxM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwGg6lmO80k

Don't get your hopes up for tomorrow, it's going to be pretty boring. Kaine and Pence will both do a competent job and both sides will say that their guy won.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The 2012 election was boring as poo poo, and the vp debate barely made a bump there when it was, by far, the most exciting thing that had happened until thay point.

In 2016, the debate will be between a nebbish bootlicker and a man for whom his boringness is considered a charming personality trait. Meanwhile, trump is currently expected to be naked, fighting a swan by Thursday morning at the latest.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Internet Kraken posted:

Not Chris Christie

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Justin Timberwolf posted:

So any bets on what the Wikileaks drop is about tomorrow? Roger Stone has promised us it will DEFINITELY BE THE END OF THE CLINTONS THIS TIME.

I think it'll turn out to be a big nothing that was just a way to get people to pay attention to their stupid press conference.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bassetking posted:

Let's say I, the property owner, want to earn $100 in rent. I have five apartments I can rent. Four of those are rent controlled at $10 per unit, as that is the rent the person agreed to when they moved in. The fifth unit is one I choose to rent at $60, in order to maintain the building, keep up with property taxes, and make the rest of my $100.

So rent control can make units scarce and thus drive up the prices?

Can't the government just force a rent max or at least a max proportion or something?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Colonel J posted:

http://www.courthousenews.com/2016/09/30/rape-allegations-refiled-against-trump.htm

My dad liked this on Facebook. How bullshit is it, big or very big?

That site is basically just "a lawsuit happened" and tends to only show the side of the person doing the suing, from what I understand. I could sue you for killing George Washington and claim I have video evidence and they'd report that.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

He's there to win over the Ted Cruz supporters and evangelical voters.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Internet Kraken posted:

He's an attempt to keep Evangelicals on board because the GOP hasn't realized 'Evangelical' mostly means 'Heretical racist who cares nothing for christ' and think they still care about 'traditional morality' over just supporting a strongman that Jesus would've beaten the poo poo out of in the Temple.

I know I seem real angry about GOP evangelical types but goddamnit, there is only one time in all the bible that Jesus actually hits a guy (outside of the wild apocrypha where young Jesus is running around smiting the poo poo out of people then bringing them back to life to avoid getting sent to his room) and it's people who turned a place of prayer into a house of commerce.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

punk rebel ecks posted:

So rent control can make units scarce and thus drive up the prices?

Can't the government just force a rent max or at least a max proportion or something?

Yeah but it only makes it scarcer for the person who can afford the higher rents, not the person who is already living there. The person above who said it depends on whether you want to favor current residents or people who would move there if possible was spot on, imo.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Justin Timberwolf posted:

Probably something dumb a la the accusations against the Clinton Foundation, where some business venture of hers did something shady that you could construe as pure evil if you're dumb as gently caress.

Also god I loving loathe Assange. Dude's flailing about trying to make Trump win because of a petty vendetta against Bill Clinton, despite the fact that electing Trump would be utterly disastrous to most people in America or the planet in general.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Nintendo will announce the NX reveal date tomorrow at the same time as Assange gives up the goods, completely overshadowing him. CNN will be trying to cover the story but then Shigeru Miyamoto walks onto Blitzer's set to show off Zelda Touch and Spin for Android phones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Why is this thread so much more level headed and civilized than all the other general political threads/boards?

A Man With A Plan posted:

Yeah but it only makes it scarcer for the person who can afford the higher rents, not the person who is already living there. The person above who said it depends on whether you want to favor current residents or people who would move there if possible was spot on, imo.

I'd like to talk more about this, but I'm afraid that I'm getting this thread off conversation.

• Locked thread