Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I swear Frakes is actually playing him a little different, like eye movements and voice and stuff. Would he have put that much effort in?

Frakes cares enough about the craft that when he asked to direct an episode and Berman told him he'd have to learn, he basically spent every waking hour of the day on the set or in post-production: Shadowing directors, watching editors, things like that.

Yes, he put that much effort in. And it shows in his TV work (just don't look at his movies as examples, because :barf:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

First Contact looks alright

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Jeb!'s posts prompted me to watch SFDebris' video for "Second Chances," and he made an interesting suggestion. As we've mentioned, the TNG writing staff was flirting with the idea of killing Will off, promoting Data, and putting Thomas at the conn. SFDebris took the idea, but gave it a little twist; instead of killing Will, have him finally accept a promotion and get a ship of his own. The idea would be that the events of "Chain of Command" would set off a period of soul-searching in Will about the state of his career, and this would only be amplified by meeting his double, an echo of the man he was before he decided to devote himself entirely to getting the big chair. Will would come to the conclusion that he was stagnating by staying as first officer of the Enterprise, which would motivate him to finally grab the brass ring and bring his character arc to a close, all while shaking up the character dynamics of the show without having to write Frakes out of the series.

Personally, I prefer seeing the same faces year after year, but even I admit the idea has legs.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's kind of jarring to me that they keep bringing up the idea of Riker getting offered commands from seasons 1-3, but after BOBW it stops for the most part. I wish we had seen more of Commander Shelby in the series.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's kind of jarring to me that they keep bringing up the idea of Riker getting offered commands from seasons 1-3, but after BOBW it stops for the most part. I wish we had seen more of Commander Shelby in the series.

Apparently, if Patrick Stewart hadn't renewed his contract and come back, we would have - the plan for that was to promote Riker to captain and make Shelby his first officer.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Marshal Radisic posted:

Jeb!'s posts prompted me to watch SFDebris' video for "Second Chances," and he made an interesting suggestion. As we've mentioned, the TNG writing staff was flirting with the idea of killing Will off, promoting Data, and putting Thomas at the conn. SFDebris took the idea, but gave it a little twist; instead of killing Will, have him finally accept a promotion and get a ship of his own. The idea would be that the events of "Chain of Command" would set off a period of soul-searching in Will about the state of his career, and this would only be amplified by meeting his double, an echo of the man he was before he decided to devote himself entirely to getting the big chair. Will would come to the conclusion that he was stagnating by staying as first officer of the Enterprise, which would motivate him to finally grab the brass ring and bring his character arc to a close, all while shaking up the character dynamics of the show without having to write Frakes out of the series.

Personally, I prefer seeing the same faces year after year, but even I admit the idea has legs.

Man, I really want to see this now.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I wonder what happened to Borg universe Tommy Riker. I bet he just lived his life on that planet and never knew a thing, just pining for Deanna til he died alone, an old man.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Mirror Universe Tom Riker slaps his sideburns back on for the big reveal

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Mirror Universe Tom Riker slaps his sideburns back on for the big reveal

He already has the sideburns and pulls off the goatee and mustache.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Kelvin universe Tom Riker spends all that time on the planet perfecting his one man jazz band routine, he is played by Blake Shelton.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Marshal Radisic posted:

Riker does get his own command in Titan. I mean, books and all so canon's out the window, but it's definitely an idea that's been explored.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Marshal Radisic posted:

That would have been perfect.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Riker does get his own command in Titan. I mean, books and all so canon's out the window, but it's definitely an idea that's been explored.

The Titan is canon, Nemesis brings it up as Riker's upcoming command near the beginning.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Gonna watch Timescape soon, which is one of the most promising titles ever.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Moddington posted:

The Titan is canon, Nemesis brings it up as Riker's upcoming command near the beginning.

That's awesome. I'm only familiar with the premise of the books and missed that nod in Nemesis. The concept of a mostly non-human crew with Riker and Troi out there spousing it up is enticing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Gonna watch Timescape soon, which is one of the most promising titles ever.

Yesssss.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Oh, I agree with you, it's just that Riker was introduced at the beginning of TNG as an up-and-comer just champing at the bit for a command, only to finally take one some fifteen years later. Heck, one of the main conflicts in "Best of Both Worlds" is over how Riker isn't accepting a new command, and that came just three years into the show's run. It's a petty complaint in the grand scheme of Trek complaints, but one the fans have argued on and off about over the years, and that premise I jotted down would have been a way to resolve that earlier in TNG's run. On the other hand, we wouldn't have gotten "Defiant" and "Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast," if that had happened, so take your pick on which timeline you prefer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There was meant to be a conceit that they were now low on ships after BoBW, but that doesn't make sense for long.

I'm pretty sure they would've just slipped the fleet buildup in a different way and done Improbable Cause anyway.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker's got cat scratch fever

Oh it actually is a cat scratch lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hope the whole episode is just them telling each other stories

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Why didn't anybody notice Troi had blinked out of her chair when time restarted

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This episode has an absolutely horrifying visual that creeped me out when I was a kid.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It also has the funniest visual in the series

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So first everything but Troi froze, then Troi froze. This is getting a little freaky and I'm dreading time freezing again

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh god

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

gently caress

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

cheetah7071 posted:

It also has the funniest visual in the series

No! NOOO!!!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

SHATTERED the space-time continuum

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This frozen battle shot is cool but it's literally impossible to capture it in a screenshot

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

poo poo I hope they somehow go into the Enterprise as it's frozen and fix everything to make it win the battle

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well drat

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Uh oh

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wow this is the most hosed the Enterprise has ever been

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What the hell Picard

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What the hell Picard

When the edibles finally hit you

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:stare:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Curiouser and curiouser

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Aliens using artificial singularity as a nest because they think it's a black hole is A+ sci fi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

But why are those Romulans beating up the bridge and shooting Beverly