Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Welp, just found out I have diabetes today so I went and got another Apple Watch since the health poo poo does seem pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Just a quick note for anyone having issues with unusually large battery drain after updating to watchOS 2, if you unpair and restore it from backup it fixes everything.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Welp, just found out I have diabetes today so I went and got another Apple Watch since the health poo poo does seem pretty rad.

God have mercy on your doctor.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Yeah, one on each wrist will double the health benefits.

I'm actually not sure though: can you pair a single iPhone to two watches simultaneously? Might need to add another iPhone to the order too.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Goondolences. Type 2 checking in :(

RVProfootballer posted:

Doge knows. Such watch. So health.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

blugu64 posted:

forgotten in that tens of millions of people wear watches :lol:

That admittedly sounds retarded but I know way more people who don't wear a watch than people who do. Do you really think people go out to buy a traditional watch primarily because they need something to check the time on? No. They buy a watch for aesthetic purposes.

Ben Murphy posted:

Careful kids, your first world-ness is showing.

You're on an online forum that costs 10 dollars to join talking about the Apple Watch. I hate to break it to you but you're in the wrong place if you're looking for humanitarian chat.

RVProfootballer posted:

I liked "I have no idea what any of this data means...which sort of proves Apple Watch's worth"

Yeah that was dumb. Whatever. It still feels cool
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Gillman posted:

What app is this? I have been looking for something that will this

The two apps are called Fit and Sleep++

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
gently caress you type 2 suckers, type 1 till i die literally

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

The two apps are called Fit and Sleep++

Thanks!

Do you know the name of the company that makes Fit? My googling is coming up with results for either fitting a watch or the stuff about the fitness sensors for the watch

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm actually not sure though: can you pair a single iPhone to two watches simultaneously? Might need to add another iPhone to the order too.

You missed:

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Apple watch feels like the most needless piece of tech in the world, though probably all smart watches are that. Bought and returned same day, gently caress apple.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Have any of you Watch-havers had any trouble with the new always-on "Hey Siri" feature? Whenever I raise my watch and say "hey Siri" it activates on both my watch *and* my phone - and then I get a response (usually the same response) from both.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The Gillman posted:

Thanks!

Do you know the name of the company that makes Fit? My googling is coming up with results for either fitting a watch or the stuff about the fitness sensors for the watch

Here's an App Store link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fit-weightlifting/id910646616?mt=8

For two bucks, it could be a little more well designed. Some of the functionality wasn't immediately clear to me. It's somewhat worth it due to the fact that you can create workouts on your phone and then just load them up through the watch and have it set a timer for in between sets and track your heart rate etc etc. Although the watch app did suddenly quit on me during my workout tonight, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I'll try and get in touch with the developer.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

ShoogaSlim posted:

Do you really think people go out to buy a traditional watch primarily because they need something to check the time on? No. They buy a watch for aesthetic purposes.

casio

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is Things the best to do app?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yes.

One of the reasons I bought an Apple Watch was for that App.

I use it religiously. Helps me out. Add items to it using Siri, view your to dos, and syncs with the iPhone / Mac / iPad.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Sucks man. Peace.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Have any of you Watch-havers had any trouble with the new always-on "Hey Siri" feature? Whenever I raise my watch and say "hey Siri" it activates on both my watch *and* my phone - and then I get a response (usually the same response) from both.

Same here. There's pretty much no reason to turn on Hey Siri if you have a watch too.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

There's pretty much no reason to turn on Hey Siri if you have a watch too.

Eh. The phone is a lot quicker and obviously way more capable than the watch so I have it enabled on my 6s, too. Plus it can be activated while the screen is off so it comes in handy while cooking or doing the dishes or what the gently caress ever when I can't raise my wrist and wait for the much-slower watch to comprehend and load.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

For two bucks, it could be a little more well designed.

2015 is a crazy place.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't have diabetes or an apple watch so I feel like I'm doing pretty well

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have type 1 diabetes and I sold a pebble a long time ago now what do I do?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Dave posted:

I have type 1 diabetes and I sold a pebble a long time ago now what do I do?

Cut off your feet.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

The Dave posted:

2015 is a crazy place.

Fitocracy has stored my lifting stats since 2011, has a robust website and a fully developed mobile app, and it's always been free. I'm not like some people who absolutely refuse to pay for apps, but for 2 bucks the guy could have labeled a few buttons or put a little more work into the onboarding process.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Question for watch owners:

Can you set up an app to only give notifications during certain hours? My goal in owning one would be to auto ping myself at work (9 to 5) when a task item comes in.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

smoobles posted:

Question for watch owners:

Can you set up an app to only give notifications during certain hours? My goal in owning one would be to auto ping myself at work (9 to 5) when a task item comes in.
Not that I know of, unless that app has that ability coded into it.

You can toggle notifications on/off on a per app basis (using your phone), but afaik you have to do it manually through the Watch App on your phone (which works very similarly to the Settings app -- I.e. your toggle will be a couple levels deep but your position in the app will be remembered).

Or, depending on the app, you may be able to Rube Goldberg something through IFTTT or something similar.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Yeah our systems are email-based so IFTTT might be the best option.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Or you could get a work phone/watch. :v:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
More watch activation stuff. Not going to Apple store today, tomorrow instead. One thing is I do wear it on my right wrist, because I'm a sinister lefty. Yes, the watch orientation is set to right wrist right crown, which is how I wear it. For shits and giggles I set it to left wrist, but kept it on my right. Most of the same problems persisted, but it became a little more sensitive now to come on with less need for wrist twisting. I also tried it on my left wrist with orientation properly set to left wrist right crown, but the behavior was unchanged. And that's my empirical analysis for the day.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

I hear you. When it works, it works great and is a joy to use. When it doesn't, it gets really frustrating, and I'm all "why did I pay $400 for this piece of poo poo?"

I'm currently dealing with an issue where watchOs 2 broke all native apps. Non-native apps (like Shazam, or myfitnesspal) launch fine. All my native apps (Dark Sky, PCalc lite, itranslate) just show the spinny circle thing for 5-10 seconds and then exit. There's a thread on the macrumors forum about it here: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/native-apps-do-not-load.1919307/

Part of the price of being an early adopter, I guess. Overall, I'm still happy with the watch. I'll just be a whole lot happier when they get all the bugs worked out.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

RVProfootballer posted:

That would be good so you can wear one watch while the other is on charge.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

ShoogaSlim posted:

Here's an App Store link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fit-weightlifting/id910646616?mt=8

For two bucks, it could be a little more well designed. Some of the functionality wasn't immediately clear to me. It's somewhat worth it due to the fact that you can create workouts on your phone and then just load them up through the watch and have it set a timer for in between sets and track your heart rate etc etc. Although the watch app did suddenly quit on me during my workout tonight, so I'm not sure what's up with that. I'll try and get in touch with the developer.

Just tried this app, and the German translation is flat out terrible. When I tried switching the system language to English, some workouts stayed German. Luckily it's easy to get a refund. I wrote the developer and left a review so they're at least aware. Pity, it sounded cool on paper.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

People on etsy are selling some pretty cool watch bands if anyone is looking for something unique. Just throwing that out there.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm actually not sure though: can you pair a single iPhone to two watches simultaneously?
In case this wasn't answered, no you can not. Not without hacks/jailbreak/other gooniness, at least.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

People on etsy are selling some pretty cool watch bands if anyone is looking for something unique. Just throwing that out there.

My Best Buy has started stocking a huge selection of third party bands, and they are all rear end. I think they handpicked the worst looking bands they could find. Cheap sparkly poo poo and whatnot, but all priced expensively.

I guess what I'm saying is don't go to Best Buy for third party bands.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with Amazon either. Seems like most of the stuff is cheap knock offs of Apple's bands (which isn't a bad thing but not what I'm looking for) or really basic stuff. I guess the market is still developing at this point.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Can't see that (band) market expanding much. We already have

1) "Just like" Apple's but much cheaper.
2) A few niche Our Own Special Boutique Design collections.
3) Put your own pattern on a cheap band services.
4) Adapters that let you use any 22/24 mm watch band.

Seems like that pretty much covers it, to me. I suppose a few more 2s may show up.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I think there is a niche between 1 and 2 for nice/well made/ but not super expensive bands. like in the $50-$100 range. For example I'd like some type of nice titanium band that matches my space grey. I'm afraid the $30 bands will feel/look clunky.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 2, 2015

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
$50-$100 is a lot for a watch strap

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Welp. This type 2 might have started my change on this thing but wearing it for a few days now has got me hooked. It's amazing to just have everything right there on my wrist and freeing to not have to worry about pulling the phone out for every little thing. I'm even hoping Taylor pulls through and survives this moon he's stuck on.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Welp. This type 2 might have started my change on this thing but wearing it for a few days now has got me hooked. It's amazing to just have everything right there on my wrist and freeing to not have to worry about pulling the phone out for every little thing. I'm even hoping Taylor pulls through and survives this moon he's stuck on.
i too am playing lifeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

i too am playing lifeline

give me your apple id so i can draw butts and weiners for you

• Locked thread