Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i just think the apple watch is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Endless Mike posted:

If you want to claim traditional watches are obsolete due to phones, smart watches were obsolete before they were ever invented...because of smart phones.

This would possibly be true if the only thing they did was tell the time. One of the biggest features of the Apple Watch is being able to access all of your notifications without having to take out your smart phone every few minutes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are you even reading the things you write?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you guys are not being nice at all

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

monkeu posted:

This would possibly be true if the only thing they did was tell the time. One of the biggest features of the Apple Watch is being able to access all of your notifications without having to take out your smart phone every few minutes.

How can i possibly get through the day, i have to look at my phone?????

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Endless Mike posted:

Are you even reading the things you write?

Arguing that traditional watches aren't obsolete is the equivalent of arguing that magnetic compasses are still the way to go when GPS exists. Enjoy buying a bunch of Rolexes as investments or whatever though :laugh:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

monkeu posted:

Arguing that traditional watches aren't obsolete is the equivalent of arguing that magnetic compasses are still the way to go when GPS exists. Enjoy buying a bunch of Rolexes as investments or whatever though :laugh:

You are truly a moron.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

How can i possibly get through the day, i have to look at my phone?????

I realise that trying to argue the benefits of not being glued to your phone screen 24 hours a day is a bit of a waste of breath on a forum like this. Some of us go outside sometimes though!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

monkeu posted:

I realise that trying to argue the benefits of not being glued to your phone screen 24 hours a day is a bit of a waste of breath on a forum like this. Some of us go outside sometimes though!

Fly away troll.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You are truly a moron.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Fly away troll.

Nice responses to my points :laugh:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

monkeu posted:

Nice responses to my points :laugh:

You aren't making a point, you're throwing out unfounded insults and ideas that aren't based on anything in reality.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

monkeu posted:

Thankfully you don't have to stare at your phone screen, you can stare at your watch screen :downs: Outside!!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

monkeu posted:

So you are saying a traditional watch isn't obsolete because you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket to see the time if you own one.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

who cares I need a to do app

Use your phone

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Notepads are obsolete now that a watch can do the same thing

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Gas

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Croc Monster posted:

it's a terrible time-telling device.

Why? It tells the time. What's it doing wrong in that regard? :confused:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

And looks like a piece of poo poo. I realize this comes of superficial, but watches are, ultimately, accessories/jewelry, so looking attractive is actually important.

I would agree that looks are important for watches for most people.

For me, I've never worn a watch before the pebble (and now Apple Watch). It's preference, I don't think they look bad, although I've seen watches that are def extremely nice looking. They look nice enough for me, I got a cheap, decent looking band, I'm good.

"It's the most personal device ever," which while retarded sounding probably does ring true that different people will have different preferences.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Pretty much nice watches are just a way to say “look what disposable income I have” without blurting it out loud.

The Apple Watch is no different, but actually does things that are useful that regular watches can’t do.

That’s it, the end?

bobfather fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 29, 2015

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
The best part of the watch is the health tracking abilities. If used properly, it can be pretty life changing..like telling you when to get off the couch and get another bag of Cheetos.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I'm not sure why people think it's a bad timepiece. One of the very first epiphanies I had was that being able to look at your wrist to do something as simple as tell time felt like a forgotten tradition. That's probably what the watch is best at doing, with notifications being a very close second.

If you don't dig any deeper, the watch is just that: a customizable digital watch face that serves notifications you don't want to fish your phone out for. And that's a justifiable reason to buy/own one if you feel so inclined

I went to read an article on my iPhone yesterday and went to scroll down the page using a Digital Crown that obviously wasn't there. It's surprising how second nature that becomes.

Once you start messing with fitness apps and such, the watch becomes something unique. I downloaded a fitness app that tracks my heart rate, logs my workout, allows me to choose weight and reps and starts a timer in between sets, without having to manhandle my phone with gross gym hands. I also downloaded a sleep tracker that measures sleep activity and feeds that to the Health app, although I'm not exactly sure what the gently caress any of that data means. But these two apps, and I'm sure a handful of others, sort of prove the Watches worth and level of convenience.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

ShoogaSlim posted:

One of the very first epiphanies I had was that being able to look at your wrist to do something as simple as tell time felt like a forgotten tradition.

forgotten in that tens of millions of people wear watches :lol:

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.

blugu64 posted:

forgotten in that tens of millions of people wear watches :lol:

When I first used the Apple Pencil, one of the very first epiphanies I had was being able use my hand and a writing implement to do something as simple as tell write something down felt like a forgotten tradition.

Careful kids, your first world-ness is showing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I liked "I have no idea what any of this data means...which sort of proves Apple Watch's worth"

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Hmm I wonder what's the latest discussion on the Apple Wa-oh jesus christ let me out of here

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
My Apple Watch looks nice and does neat things and I've always enjoyed wearing a watch :)

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Why enter this topic if you don't like the watch

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

I liked "I have no idea what any of this data means...which sort of proves Apple Watch's worth"

I liked "watches are obsolete because you can take out your phone and smartwatches are good because you don't have to take out your phone"

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So if anyone remembers and/or cares about my odd battery use, I picked up a new watch (42mm instead of 38) and although it's early it's looking like this one will have close to 50% better battery life, so I'm guessing the original was just a bum watch, despite it still making advertised spec.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

Once you start messing with fitness apps and such, the watch becomes something unique. I downloaded a fitness app that tracks my heart rate, logs my workout, allows me to choose weight and reps and starts a timer in between sets, without having to manhandle my phone with gross gym hands. I also downloaded a sleep tracker that measures sleep activity and feeds that to the Health app, although I'm not exactly sure what the gently caress any of that data means. But these two apps, and I'm sure a handful of others, sort of prove the Watches worth and level of convenience.

What app is this? I have been looking for something that will this

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Gillman posted:

What app is this? I have been looking for something that will this

Yeah I'd be interested in this as well.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So if anyone remembers and/or cares about my odd battery use, I picked up a new watch (42mm instead of 38) and although it's early it's looking like this one will have close to 50% better battery life, so I'm guessing the original was just a bum watch, despite it still making advertised spec.
Yeah sounds like it. The workout was the only obvious thing that should be eating battery, but you didn't even use it for that long so it shouldn't have been affecting it that much. Maybe the timers eat battery like crazy? :iiam:

I did hit power reserve (it queries at 10% I think) last night on my 42mm after about 16 hours I guess, including 2 hour workout logging for basketball...which I've done a few times now so it was weird seeing power reserve come on actually. I'm guessing it's been usually in the teens or 20s those other nights and I just used it more yesterday. Lazy rear end non workout days are usually 40-50% or more by the end of the day, but I might be getting up and putting the watch on later those days too.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Zwille posted:

Why? It tells the time. What's it doing wrong in that regard? :confused:

Wrist flicking to get the screen to come on is finicky and inconsistent. Sometimes a small twist works, sometimes it takes a comical Monty Pythonesque arm waggle to get it to light up. It doesn't work at all lying down, so you need to tap with your other hand. If you are on the subway or a bus, and your watch arm is holding a bar above your head, it does not respond to subtle wrist movement, necessitating the use of the (often occupied) other hand to clumsily reach up and tap. When you do get it to light up, it turns off too quickly. Yes, there is a new 70 second "stay lit" option, but it doesn't work. Why? Because, unlike when you are trying to show the time, the watch is VERY sensitive to movement when it is lit. So the slightest tremor of the wrist, and the the watch goes back off, regardless of the "stay lit" time.

I'm not being spergy, I'm not being picky, I just often find I have to tap the screen to get the time, wait the .5 seconds for the screen to come on, and then hope it doesn't blank out too quickly while I'm still looking at it.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Oh, ok. If it doesn't work as intended for you that sucks. I'm fine with how it works and haven't really experienced it going off prematurely.

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Croc Monster posted:

Wrist flicking to get the screen to come on is finicky and inconsistent. Sometimes a small twist works, sometimes it takes a comical Monty Pythonesque arm waggle to get it to light up. It doesn't work at all lying down, so you need to tap with your other hand. If you are on the subway or a bus, and your watch arm is holding a bar above your head, it does not respond to subtle wrist movement, necessitating the use of the (often occupied) other hand to clumsily reach up and tap. When you do get it to light up, it turns off too quickly. Yes, there is a new 70 second "stay lit" option, but it doesn't work. Why? Because, unlike when you are trying to show the time, the watch is VERY sensitive to movement when it is lit. So the slightest tremor of the wrist, and the the watch goes back off, regardless of the "stay lit" time.

I'm not being spergy, I'm not being picky, I just often find I have to tap the screen to get the time, wait the .5 seconds for the screen to come on, and then hope it doesn't blank out too quickly while I'm still looking at it.

This is almost the exact opposite of my experience with the apple watch. I see the watch face come on whenever it's even vaguely pointed at my face. Works just fine while lying down, too. I guess my arm is more like the ones that apple designed for than yours is. <shrug>

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Azathoth Prime posted:

This is almost the exact opposite of my experience with the apple watch. I see the watch face come on whenever it's even vaguely pointed at my face. Works just fine while lying down, too. I guess my arm is more like the ones that apple designed for than yours is. <shrug>

Huh. This actually helps, because if it really does work for you lying down, I might actually have a lemon. Certainly warrants taking it in and having a genius take a look.

Zwille posted:

Oh, ok. If it doesn't work as intended for you that sucks. I'm fine with how it works and haven't really experienced it going off prematurely.

Same with this. Mine really does turn of with the slightest movement after it's lit.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna take it in for a once-over.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For what it's worth I found the wrist detection on my original 38 nearly flawless* -- it displayed when I thought it should be displaying, and not at other times. In the first 24 hours I've had it, the 42 seems a bit too aggressive about it, and the it comes on (seemingly) a bit more often

* while not laying down

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Croc Monster posted:

Same with this. Mine really does turn of with the slightest movement after it's lit.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna take it in for a once-over.

One thing you can try beforehand--give the thing a quick rinse, particularly around the knob. Sometimes sweat or coffee or whatever can get in there. Then restart the watch.

What you describe has happened to me but it was a quick fix.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Agronox posted:

One thing you can try beforehand--give the thing a quick rinse, particularly around the knob. Sometimes sweat or coffee or whatever can get in there. Then restart the watch.

What you describe has happened to me but it was a quick fix.

Yeah, I've done that a few times, because I also thought the scroll wheel on mine was a bit sticky. Didn't help. I live a few blocks from an apple store, so I'll walk over tomorrow and put on one of their 42mm SGS and see how it behaves. I'm really hoping mine is just wonky and that I'm not some kind of retarded mutant with alien arms who doesn't know how to wear a smartwatch :havlat:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

For what it's worth I found the wrist detection on my original 38 nearly flawless* -- it displayed when I thought it should be displaying, and not at other times. In the first 24 hours I've had it, the 42 seems a bit too aggressive about it, and the it comes on (seemingly) a bit more often

* while not laying down

I wish. I'd rather have mine trigger too often than not.

I'll post back tomorrow after my field trip. It's also a chance for me to play with a 6s+ and mini 4 as well.

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Croc Monster posted:

I've had a better experience than you but I get what you're talking about. As just a watch it'd be really nice to have an ambient mode like Android Wear, outside of long workout tracking days like mine above I feel like it'd have enough battery to do it. Even some lower power (less pixels/simplified) versions of the clockfaces would be fine if it needs to be more battery friendly, and do some fancy fade into the standard face on raise or something.

As far as flicking/waggling, I think the issue you're running into is that it doesn't seem designed to recognize it, or maybe filters it out to an extent even. Like a subtle turn or turn and raise seems more consistent than blatantly flicking and waggling it. Lying down actually works alright testing it out right now (I wonder if OS 2 tweaked anything there cause I remember having issues before), while my subway simulation (pull-up bar in my room :v:) has the same result as you.

...and the tap on wake timer doesn't seem to work for me, it's turning off after 15 seconds regardless of the setting.

• Locked thread