Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Jhanez posted:

Yes, that's true. Do you think it's accurate and useful to frame this as a sudden and devastating lack of procedural collegiality? That one day congresspeople just woke up and decided that they were no longer willing to compromise? It seems far more plausible to me that they and their constituencies have actually and fundamentally different values that they perceive of as being under threat, because people act ways for reasons, and a sudden attack of the no-get-alongsies doesn't make any sense at all.

this is the part where someone says "black president" and you go "ohhhhhhh"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jhanez posted:

That one day congresspeople just woke up and decided that they were no longer willing to compromise?

Yes, it started January 3, 2011.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ScrubLeague posted:

Yes, it started January 3, 2011.

March 2010 actually.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh was it that quickly? I seem to remember there being a slightly longer period of non-obstruction that ended with the first mid-term congress.

Jhanez
Feb 27, 2007

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

this is the part where someone says "black president" and you go "ohhhhhhh"

No, I don't really go "oohhhhh" at a facile statement that is in fact included in the literal thing that I just said. Of course white supremacy is one of the values that is under threat, it's just incredibly silly to frame this whole thing as foot-stomping instead of reactions to changing social circumstances.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jhanez posted:

Yes, that's true. Do you think it's accurate and useful to frame this as a sudden and devastating lack of procedural collegiality? That one day congresspeople just woke up and decided that they were no longer willing to compromise? It seems far more plausible to me that they and their constituencies have actually and fundamentally different values that they perceive of as being under threat, because people act ways for reasons, and a sudden attack of the no-get-alongsies doesn't make any sense at all.

they got rid of earmarks which was how you were able to negotiate across the aisle and within your caucus. "vote for this thing and we'll make sure a new army base gets set up in your district." favor trading like that. people thought it was horrible and corrupt when it was just a way to get legislation passed since that stuff has to go *somewhere* and you might as well use it as a bargaining chip.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Jhanez posted:

It isn't sudden at all. I used the 8 years as an example cuz black presidency but the real big problem as I see it is the hostility to any kind of diversity in opinion and otherwise that has been carefully curated by demagogues over a long long period of time because diversity is bad for business. The biggest dismaying thing for me is that now this anti diversity rhetoric has been fully absorbed by people on the left, who I really thought should know better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ScrubLeague posted:

Oh was it that quickly? I seem to remember there being a slightly longer period of non-obstruction that ended with the first mid-term congress.

That's when House Appropriations banned earmarks.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

zoux posted:

That's when House Appropriations banned earmarks.

so interesting question, if the dems somehow took back the house this year, would they bring back earmarks? or if the gop margin became thin enough paul ryan felt they were needed to keep people in line?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

axeil posted:

so interesting question, if the dems somehow took back the house this year, would they bring back earmarks? or if the gop margin became thin enough paul ryan felt they were needed to keep people in line?

Oh I doubt it, it's the kind of thing that sounds super bad to the electorate. It's sausage making and it only works as long as the public isn't aware of it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

My place used button-based voting. Screen in the middle, buttons on the side, candidates names next to the buttons.

Had to cycle the pages with buttons, pages loaded about as fast as you'd expect.
Touch screens aren't accessible. Rather than have every precinct, no matter how tiny, have a separate accessible booth, California booths make all selections by a telephone dial with detents that beeps, coupled with a screen for the visually enhanced and headset jack for the blind. They're also adjustable-height.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Al! posted:

"I can't get everything I want so gently caress it, nobody deserves anything at all" is kind of why our democracy is failing too

Who was that goon who coined the phrase "wrap it up Obamailures?" He was this, 100%. He didn't become a pro wrestler, so he burned with hatred that the Goon dem choice actually happened, IE people got what they wanted

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Who was that goon who coined the phrase "wrap it up Obamailures?" He was this, 100%. He didn't become a pro wrestler, so he burned with hatred that the Goon dem choice actually happened, IE people got what they wanted

Paradol Ex, no?

Also author of the infamous Chris Benoit post.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
s4p is overwhelmingly in straight up loving denial right now. There are plenty of people attached to reality, but BERNIE ONLY NEEDS TO BEAT HILLARY BY 15% IN EVERY REMAINING CONTEST TO PULL IT OUT HE CAN TOTALLY DO IT seems to be the prevailing message not getting deleted by mods. These people are going to hold on to this right until the end because they legitimately seem to believe that Bernie is going to crush Hillary in New York and California by similar margins to her wins in the south which will give him the delegate lead. JUST HAVE TO KEEP PHONEBANKING, FACEBANKING, TEXTBANKING, OTHERWORDSWITHBANKING!!!!!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

weekly font posted:

Paradol Ex, no?

Also author of the infamous Chris Benoit post.

yes it was paradol ex. his frequent meltdowns in 08 were amazing.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm actually OK with idiots throwing away their money but not okay with idiots throwing away their money that would have been otherwise spent for other people (that guy with the daughters college money was sad, although it's probably fake)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

fknlo posted:

s4p is overwhelmingly in straight up loving denial right now. There are plenty of people attached to reality, but BERNIE ONLY NEEDS TO BEAT HILLARY BY 15% IN EVERY REMAINING CONTEST TO PULL IT OUT HE CAN TOTALLY DO IT seems to be the prevailing message not getting deleted by mods. These people are going to hold on to this right until the end because they legitimately seem to believe that Bernie is going to crush Hillary in New York and California by similar margins to her wins in the south which will give him the delegate lead. JUST HAVE TO KEEP PHONEBANKING, FACEBANKING, TEXTBANKING, OTHERWORDSWITHBANKING!!!!!

The dreams being dashed by her immediately winning Arizona will be pretty great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fknlo posted:

One of the biggest indicators that he's done for me (besides, you know, delegate math) is that people saying "Time to pack it in guys, GG" in s4p aren't getting brigade downvoted.

Populist grass roots campaigns can only thrive on momentum and enthusiasm, and those are dead right now. Doubt we'll see any articles about $4 million raised in five days going forward.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

fknlo posted:

s4p tears are arguably more delicious than conservative tears were in 2012.

The IronMonkey
Aug 5, 2005
Folk sure seem to care a whole lot about what some random other forum thinks.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

fknlo posted:

/r/sandersis45

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The IronMonkey posted:

Quick spend an hour scouring reddit for bad posts and then screenshot them so you can put them in this thread!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The IronMonkey posted:

That's the founding principle of the website genius.

"Making fun of bad internet stuff? Here, at last, has SOmethingawful gone to hell :eng99:"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

Quick spend an hour scouring reddit for bad posts and then screenshot them so you can put them in this thread!
This but unironically. Entertainment is always welcome.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You know things are crazy when the Taiwanese Animators videos are tamer than reality.

http://youtu.be/I0eU3Fr0nsY

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

The IronMonkey posted:

Making fun of the Internet is the foundation of this website.
And really really funny.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
You don't really have to go as far as Reddit to find bernouts saying incredible things

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al! posted:

You don't really have to go as far as Reddit to find bernouts saying incredible things

lmao at PhD's in bernie thread talking about moving to Europe.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Al! posted:

There's one in USPol getting his mouth filled with poo poo right now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Al! posted:

Turns out the South is full of stupid idiots and we should bring back Sherman to kill them.....oh we just advocated ethnic cleansing huh....

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zen death robot posted:

Christ I just assumed they were everywhere by now, I can't remember if it was 2008 or 2010 when they came out here but they've had them ever since at my polling place. Theres a huge confirmation screen and a reciept printed out in a window as a backup too.

There was an NPR story not too long ago about Florida's voting machine systems.

Basically the takeaway was that OCR readers are fast, are easy for voters to use, let you just use simple tables as voting "booths", makes it so someone taking their time to decide doesn't hold up the reader, and they allow for manual (re)counts in case the reader malfunctions. The downside is that all the voting machine companies have switched to only making touchscreens and finding parts for the OCR systems is getting difficult.

I remember using an OCR system when I voted in Alexandria VA. I want to say I also remember them just printing out the ballots on demand from a couple laser printers too. Maybe Florida serial numbers their ballots or something that wouldn't let the poll worker just fire up a photocopier to make more blank ones.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Don't hell dump the Bernie thread.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been seeing some pretty boring posts in here lately so I wrote up a handy guide for making the thread more entertaining. I think with a little polish we can meet or beat the quality of the Trump thread. Let's start with some political memes that you can copy and paste into your posts to make them funnier. Remember, the more of these you use the better!

- hot take
- nth dimensional chess
- rat gently caress
- bernouts
- trump(german suffix)

Here is a quick guide for using these memes to spice up your posts. First, start with a post that you want to make:

"It will be interesting to see if the protests at the Republican Convention cause schedule disruptions and how the RNC would respond to that"

Good point, but seems pretty dry. Let's try to punch this post up a notch with some hilarious memes:

"If you want my hot take I think if the refucklicans try to play 43rd dimension chess and fail to ratfuck Herr Trumpenwaffle the Bernouts could cause a real scene at the convention."

See how much better this post is? Try it out yourself!

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
nice meltdown

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
gently caress you forums I thought you stopped doubleposting

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
wait hold on I gotta add meltdown to the list

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
nice meltdown(s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernice Anders
Feb 26, 2016

by zen death robot

Salt Fish posted:

I've been seeing some pretty boring posts in here lately so I wrote up a handy guide for making the thread more entertaining. I think with a little polish we can meet or beat the quality of the Trump thread. Let's start with some political memes that you can copy and paste into your posts to make them funnier. Remember, the more of these you use the better!

- hot take
- nth dimensional chess
- rat gently caress
- bernouts
- trump(german suffix)

Here is a quick guide for using these memes to spice up your posts. First, start with a post that you want to make:

"It will be interesting to see if the protests at the Republican Convention cause schedule disruptions and how the RNC would respond to that"

Good point, but seems pretty dry. Let's try to punch this post up a notch with some hilarious memes:

"If you want my hot take I think if the refucklicans try to play 43rd dimension chess and fail to ratfuck Herr Trumpenwaffle the Bernouts could cause a real scene at the convention."

See how much better this post is? Try it out yourself!

Ugh, classic Dunning-Kruger affect. All you've done is set up a cargo cult and if it happens, I'll eat my hat.

• Locked thread