Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

SL the Pyro posted:

Anyone who has purchased the Power Up emote that was just added to Mogstation is hereby obligated to post a screenshot of your character using it.

Welp, there goes $7.

https://gfycat.com/ComfortableGaseousBlueshark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How easy is it to level up other jobs? I like playing as BRD, but queueing as a DPS isn't fast, so I'm thinking of switching to WHM (since it's really strong) or something to reach 70 faster.

How many classes do you guys play on endgame?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Schneider Heim posted:

How easy is it to level up other jobs? I like playing as BRD, but queueing as a DPS isn't fast, so I'm thinking of switching to WHM (since it's really strong) or something to reach 70 faster.

How many classes do you guys play on endgame?
I have SMN and AST high enough to go into like, raids and stuff. SMN hit that level quite recently. You get bonus XP when levelling alternate classes.

If you have buddies who like to do roulettes, see if you can DPS when they tank or heal. Sometimes you may have to go round robin on it. There's also squadron dungeons, POTD, the challenge log...

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

SL the Pyro posted:

Anyone who has purchased the Power Up emote that was just added to Mogstation is hereby obligated to post a screenshot of your character using it.
Well, rules are rules.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I had to stop playing because my PC died, my laptop is too garbo to run the game, and I dislike playing a healer with a controller. Though it never hit me that I could just plug my mouse+kb into the PS4. Oops.

I guess I would need to rebuy everything though. Does the console version ever go on sale?

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Same thing basically happened to me but I had to move across the ocean rather than the PC dying.

I bought it on ps4 and play it with a keyboard and mouse. In retrospect though, I should have put the money toward a new computer that's just smaller. The ps4 version of the game just feels like an inferior version of the PC version so any price that's not approaching the monthly sub fee feels like a rip. If you're going to rebuild your PC any time in the near future, I'd just wait.

That being said, it does sometimes go on sale.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mango Polo posted:

Does the console version ever go on sale?

Often.

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/1391381/final-fantasy-xivr-online-complete-edition

Twice in December, for some reason. I think the EU version has been on sale twice already this year, also.

There's also the disc version though it means you'll need the disc inserted to play it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's also the disc version though it means you'll need the disc inserted to play it.
Only if you install from the disc, once you use the PSN code in the case you can just download the game from the store and throw the disc away.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

homeless snail posted:

Only if you install from the disc, once you use the PSN code in the case you can just download the game from the store and throw the disc away.

That was definitely not the case for my EU ARR/HW copy. The code just added a key license for the XIV launcher to throw at SE Account Management and it didn't actually provide a client download at all.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Brilliant, thanks. Nabbed the whole thing for 20 euros, not bad. Won't be building a new PC for a long time, courtesy of medical expenses, so this looks like the best way to get my fix.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TheHeadSage posted:

I'd rather have a dumb strat for one raid in exchange for the average play skill level being higher. Reading all the horror stories here makes me glad I'm not on a NA server.

people only post the bad stuff. I'm sure your pristine jp datacenter has terrible players too. Just no one plays on it so no one posts the stories.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So apparently you can use the Squadron LB (+50% damage) in other duties? Even extend it with Time Dilation and such.

Will get fixed probably, but hah.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bacontotem posted:

Took about 9 months for Amons hat to drop. today is a good day.

https://gfycat.com/FloweryTintedDolphin

Hey congrats on winning the game!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ApplesandOranges posted:

So apparently you can use the Squadron LB (+50% damage) in other duties? Even extend it with Time Dilation and such.

I am actually amazed by how dumb of an oversight this is.

And I guess I'm going to have to drop $7 today so I can be a Goku.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
What's usually a good approach to tanking pugs (ldr/etc...) as an inexperienced tank still learning what buttons do?

Thinking:
Hit targets to group around you - taunt if BLM pulls agro.
AOE attack when grouped
High threat attacks on prime target switching to alternate targets over time to keep agro
AOE attack to sustain threat build-up
use CD on hard hitting boss ability or big trash pack

My PLD is 65 I think and I tanked only 1 dungeon (POTD for the rest) and I never tank in mmos.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

What's usually a good approach to tanking pugs (ldr/etc...) as an inexperienced tank still learning what buttons do?

Thinking:
AOE attack when grouped
High threat attacks on prime target switching to alternate targets over time to keep agro

My PLD is 65 I think and I tanked only 1 dungeon (POTD for the rest) and I never tank in mmos.

flash 3-5 times in tank stance and your threat should be fine until they die. Use cd on trash pulls. Save cd for tank busters on bosses if at all. When you get comfortable you can be in dps stance for bosses after a threat combo in tank stance.

If you're halfway decent at dps you'll figure out tanking pretty quick.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
I love grinding and a healthy endgame. Should I play FF XIV or Black Desert?

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Provoke only gives you a 1 point threat lead, so you'll need to follow up on that target if you want to keep it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

This has apparently been known for at least 4 months and hasn't been fixed in that time span.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Thinking:
AOE attack when grouped

For trash, Flash maybe twice? Then hit Total Eclipse a bunch. Then Flash again maybe if your threat dips?

Use CDs a bunch because they come back up a ton in 15-30 minute dungeon runs & you have a billion anyways. Use FIight or Flight whenever you can.

Don't take Ultimatum, it's got a tiny range. Take Provoke for when someone decides to be dumb and runs 20 yalms away from a mob instead of sticking close.

Oh, and pull with Shield Lob, never Provoke.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 27, 2018

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
3-5 flashes is WAY overkill. Make sure every mob gets hit with a +aggro move (shield lob, flash, circle) two times and you should be good unless one of your dps goes extremely ham. 1-3 targets get goring blade up on as many mobs as possible, then royal authority combo. 4+ targets, press total eclipse until there's 3 targets or less.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Doesn't Total Eclipse spam still out-potency anything but Holy Spirit spam for 3 mobs?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Charles Get-Out posted:

Doesn't Total Eclipse spam still out-potency anything but Holy Spirit spam for 3 mobs?

Goring Blade combo is 250 average potency per GCD (+ 21 seconds). Total Eclipse is 110 per target, or 330 on 3 mobs. So you are correct.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Sade posted:

3-5 flashes is WAY overkill. Make sure every mob gets hit with a +aggro move (shield lob, flash, circle) two times and you should be good unless one of your dps goes extremely ham. 1-3 targets get goring blade up on as many mobs as possible, then royal authority combo. 4+ targets, press total eclipse until there's 3 targets or less.

i do giant pulls and dont want to have to worry about threat and i am lazy so it works.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I appreciate the pointers :) Time to give this a shot.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

I appreciate the pointers :) Time to give this a shot.

make sure you have a good glamour too. That's the most important part!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Tank related question: I was running Hell's Lid as a DRK a couple days ago with some guildies, and I kept losing aggro on the first boss to our SAM. Bearing in mind I typically drop Grit after Unmend+Emnity Combo, I ended up having to camp Grit after the second aggro loss. Is it an issue with gear or is there a better rotation for DRK? I'm still running a ilvl 320 weapon with an overall ilvl 330 if that helps.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

:golfclap:

Although I am the chain mail bikini but in my defense I look like wonder woman from the latest movie of her.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

MelvinBison posted:

Tank related question: I was running Hell's Lid as a DRK a couple days ago with some guildies, and I kept losing aggro on the first boss to our SAM. Bearing in mind I typically drop Grit after Unmend+Emnity Combo, I ended up having to camp Grit after the second aggro loss. Is it an issue with gear or is there a better rotation for DRK? I'm still running a ilvl 320 weapon with an overall ilvl 330 if that helps.

what was the sam using for a weapon and did he use diversion? Aggro a lot of times is the result of DPS using diversion wrong.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SL the Pyro posted:

This is a Super Anime Catboy:

This is an Anime Catboy that has ascended past a Super Anime Catboy. You can call it Super Anime Catboy 2:

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug

Holyshoot posted:

what was the sam using for a weapon and did he use diversion? Aggro a lot of times is the result of DPS using diversion wrong.

I don't know what his setup was. My thought process was that I wasn't doing enough dps due to mismatch in weapon strength, not a cooldown on his part.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MelvinBison posted:

Many players are generally 340+ these days and the Samurai probably had kenki stockpiled from the first stretch before the boss.

Don't worry too much about it.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

I was about to forget that. Can't just walk in a dungeon with Ironworks armor, that'd be unacceptable.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I was about to forget that. Can't just walk in a dungeon with Ironworks armor, that'd be unacceptable.

Eh, Ironworks gear actually looks pretty neat and isn't too common a sight these days. We need more gear with neon lines and glowy bits.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
I walk around in dress pants, dark shades, and a black shirt because I'm a stylish DRK.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MelvinBison posted:

The weapon is a bit low for the current ex dungeons, and the Sam could easily have been using a 355 to 375 weapon depending on how much raiding they do. In a case like that, it isn't a bad thing to spend more time in Grit or ask if they can use Diversion if they aren't already. With a gap of 50 ilevels though, Diversion wouldn't be enough to keep him from ripping hate eventually.

My suggestion is to drop some off the now uncapped creation tomes on a weapon, or buy a crafted 350 sword, depending on your means. You could also go for a 355 Byakko sword but tanking it in your current gear may be iffy.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Thanks for the advice. My DRK has admittedly been gathering dust since I was getting my SAM ready for Extreme Byakko and Sigmas so he could use more love. Fortunately, I got a katana to drop on my second Byakko clear so all my tomes and Sigma drops are going to DRK now.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Can I be mad online about a single pile of loving cherry blossom leaves costing $5 meanwhile you can get 2 trees and a picnic blanket for $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Thundarr posted:

The weapon is a bit low for the current ex dungeons, and the Sam could easily have been using a 355 to 375 weapon depending on how much raiding they do. In a case like that, it isn't a bad thing to spend more time in Grit or ask if they can use Diversion if they aren't already. With a gap of 50 ilevels though, Diversion wouldn't be enough to keep him from ripping hate eventually.

My suggestion is to drop some off the now uncapped creation tomes on a weapon, or buy a crafted 350 sword, depending on your means. You could also go for a 355 Byakko sword but tanking it in your current gear may be iffy.

I would highly recommend this, grinding enough creation for a weapon as a tank wouldn't take that long, even just doing roulettes that's maybe 3 or 4 days of roulette.