Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tef posted:

remeber to call fsync good luck!!

it took months and much corrupted data to convince work that disabling fsync was a bad idea

Zombywuf posted:

Can you do what you want to do with a filesystem? If so, use a filesystem.

they have that, its called plan 9 and it sucks and nobody uses it. the people who made it don't use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

they have that, its called plan 9 and it sucks and nobody uses it. the people who made it don't use it

You say that, but the internet is build out of websites with about a hundred static pages being served out of giant clusters of in-memory databases and it makes me want to live in a hermitage on a moor or something.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

JavaScript is a good language. I like it a lot.

what are you making with javascript?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

a mistake lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MeramJert posted:

a mistake lol

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

MeramJert posted:

a mistake lol

Nice!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

jooky posted:

what are you making with javascript?

Lots of things. My most recent project was http://magcius.github.io/xplain/article/

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

MeramJert posted:

a mistake lol

So pretty much this yes

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Lots of things. My most recent project was http://magcius.github.io/xplain/article/

dang this is hecka slick

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

in other windows news: the windows source tree is dozens, hundreds of gigs.

it is a giant mess.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Malcolm XML posted:

in other windows ... is a giant mess.

Nice!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Suspicious Dish posted:

neo: woah

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Malcolm XML posted:

it is a giant mess.

does it contain a pile of different versions of library binaries? (actually, they might version their toolchain, which can be a good approach if you don't gently caress things up landing branches and whatnot.)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Malcolm XML posted:

it is a giant mess.

Source? Did it leak again?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Malcolm XML posted:

it is a giant mess.
that's gotta be including the tool chain

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
if it's anything like our project they also check binary assets in too

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Source? Did it leak again?

guy i know who works in the windows division

also it does include all the apps and poo poo so thats probably why

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

quote:

You might have noticed that when you ran your mouse over the stipple, your cursor changed. That's because this isn't just any old stipple image, that stipple is actually the background of a full X server session running in your browser using HTML5 canvas.
:stare:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://github.com/magcius/xplain/blob/gh-pages/src/server/server.js

:getin:

btw, comments on code quality would be nice. i tried to comment it and make it readable and an opportunity for learning as well.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Oh, and the instant ability to make you :stare: without downloading or installing any app is why JavaScript is good and I like it.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Suspicious Dish posted:

https://github.com/magcius/xplain/blob/gh-pages/src/server/server.js

:getin:

btw, comments on code quality would be nice. i tried to comment it and make it readable and an opportunity for learning as well.

you taken a look at typescript at all? might want to work with something more structured than straight JS considering the scale of yr undertaking. its code looks like this

http://typescript.codeplex.com/sourcecontrol/latest#samples/raytracer/raytracer.ts

(ie C#) and compiles to idiomatic javascript.

e: that said its almost part-and-parcel of visual studio and as a Serious Linux Guy i dont know if that'd be a showstopper for you

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I debug and test in a browser. Having to go through a compilation step seems like it would be annoying. And then I have to deal with debugging a generated madness.

TypeScript looks really cool, but I don't want to go through and download and set up node.js on my Windows development machine here. If, instead, there's a Traceur-like polyfill where all I have to do is <script src="foo.ts" type="application/typescript"> I'd be a lot more willing to try it out.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

I debug and test in a browser. Having to go through a compilation step seems like it would be annoying. And then I have to deal with debugging a generated madness.

TypeScript looks really cool, but I don't want to go through and download and set up node.js on my Windows development machine here. If, instead, there's a Traceur-like polyfill where all I have to do is <script src="foo.ts" type="application/typescript"> I'd be a lot more willing to try it out.

it's one installer? or use chocolatey/OneGet

traceur looks cool tho

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

i don't mind javascript but i wish the harmony improvements would arrive sooner

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh, and the instant ability to make you :stare: without downloading or installing any app is why JavaScript is good and I like it.

the user already installed a browser which is downloading your javascript and running it, and browsers only understand javascript, so that's what you have to use even though javascript sucks and is bad. like the language itself is seriously a joke and i'm having a hard time keeping myself from laughing at the thought of you actually having to maintain this server.js file

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

tbh it's usually because they're looking at an unholy monster that should not be

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Malcolm XML posted:

guy i know who works in the windows division

also it does include all the apps and poo poo so thats probably why
also a lot of it is built with cmd scripts that are automatically generated by other cmd scripts (greenspun was right)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Malcolm XML posted:

it's one installer? or use chocolatey/OneGet

traceur looks cool tho

I write code in Sublime Text 3 right now. I would have to run a command-line tool on Windows, which loving sucks, instead of pressing F5. If something went wrong, I'd be staring at an idiot tool's output that has generated variable names and doesn't match up to my line numbers in the stack trace.

They apparently built a Sublime Text 2 bridge, but it hasn't been updated for ST3, and doesn't seem to be open-source. In fact, they never seemed to have updated it since the original release in 2012 for ST2. This is an embarrassment.

If you could make TypeScript completely seamless, I'd be a lot happier. Make it so that the browser natively understands TypeScript, even if there's an extra compile step for production at the end.

I simply put a magic <script src="//typescript-lang.org/bootstrap.js"></script> line into my HTML file, and now my browser is TypeScript-enabled.

I can do <script src="foo.ts" type="application/typescript"></script> and my TypeScript file is executed. I have TypeScript stack traces with TypeScript line numbers and links to my .ts file. When I step through it in a debugger, and put breakpoints, I see my TypeScript source file and I can inspect TypeScript variable names and stack frames. When I type "let foo:Butts = new Butts();" into the developer tools console, it works and doesn't throw an error.

No existing tool does this. All of the existing ones make me drop down to JS at some level. If I'm still going to be thinking in JS, what's the point of TypeScript? All it does is add extra cognative load and extra work.

During the early C years, you had to drop down to PDP-11 assembly when you wanted to debug, because gdb didn't exist yet, and the toolchain sucked. I don't look at x86-64 machine code when debugging an issue: my debugger knows about C and has a complex infrastructure to support debugging C, natively. 325 pages full of infrastructure.

Seriously, JS isn't that bad. It hasn't bitten me at all this entire project. The thing that has bitten me, multiple times, is bugs and inconsistencies in the DOM bindings and <canvas> implementation in multiple browsers. I have my name in the HTLM5 spec because browsers can't seem to implement <canvas> correctly. Key events still don't work because DOM key events events are loving broken. These problems wouldn't be fixed by TypeScript.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh, and ES6 will fix all of these issues, because it will have native browser support. TypeScript is mostly a subset of ES6. Any TypeScript code will run natively in the browser in the future when it arrives.

And I will certainly port my project over when that happens, because it will be seamless and I will get benefits I talked about. And then I can insert <script src="//traceur.googleapis.com/bootstrap.js"></script> into my HTML file, and I'll have IE9 support.

Polyfills are such a great idea. You insert one little magic line and now you have support for things on browsers that don't natively support it. It's a great testament to paving through backwards compatibility issues.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

Seriously, JS isn't that bad.
qft

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

I write code in Sublime Text 3

try using a real development environment you loving mong

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

try using a real development environment you loving mong

What do you recommend?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

visual studio by microsoft

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Like, I don't really care what I end up using. I chose Sublime Text 3 after fiddling around with random editors for a while because it was the least painful on Windows. I'm in no way married to it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

visual studio by microsoft

Every time I try Visual Studio it installs this MSSQL piece of garbage which locks up my computer and corrupts my Windows Install database. Also, my understanding is that the version of Visual Studio for web applications only works on Windows 8. I'm on Windows 7 right now and I don't really want to change operating systems so I can have a shittier web development experience overall.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Suspicious Dish posted:

I write code in Sublime Text 3 right now. I would have to run a command-line tool on Windows, which loving sucks, instead of pressing F5. If something went wrong, I'd be staring at an idiot tool's output that has generated variable names and doesn't match up to my line numbers in the stack trace.

They apparently built a Sublime Text 2 bridge, but it hasn't been updated for ST3, and doesn't seem to be open-source. In fact, they never seemed to have updated it since the original release in 2012 for ST2. This is an embarrassment.

If you could make TypeScript completely seamless, I'd be a lot happier. Make it so that the browser natively understands TypeScript, even if there's an extra compile step for production at the end.

I simply put a magic &lt;script src="//typescript-lang.org/bootstrap.js"&gt;&lt;/script&gt; line into my HTML file, and now my browser is TypeScript-enabled.

I can do &lt;script src="foo.ts" type="application/typescript"&gt;&lt;/script&gt; and my TypeScript file is executed. I have TypeScript stack traces with TypeScript line numbers and links to my .ts file. When I step through it in a debugger, and put breakpoints, I see my TypeScript source file and I can inspect TypeScript variable names and stack frames. When I type "let foo:Butts = new Butts();" into the developer tools console, it works and doesn't throw an error.

No existing tool does this. All of the existing ones make me drop down to JS at some level. If I'm still going to be thinking in JS, what's the point of TypeScript? All it does is add extra cognative load and extra work.

During the early C years, you had to drop down to PDP-11 assembly when you wanted to debug, because gdb didn't exist yet, and the toolchain sucked. I don't look at x86-64 machine code when debugging an issue: my debugger knows about C and has a complex infrastructure to support debugging C, natively. 325 pages full of infrastructure.

Seriously, JS isn't that bad. It hasn't bitten me at all this entire project. The thing that has bitten me, multiple times, is bugs and inconsistencies in the DOM bindings and &lt;canvas&gt; implementation in multiple browsers. I have my name in the HTLM5 spec because browsers can't seem to implement &lt;canvas&gt; correctly. Key events still don't work because DOM key events events are loving broken. These problems wouldn't be fixed by TypeScript.

quoting a good post

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

Every time I try Visual Studio it installs this MSSQL piece of garbage which locks up my computer and corrupts my Windows Install database. Also, my understanding is that the version of Visual Studio for web applications only works on Windows 8. I'm on Windows 7 right now and I don't really want to change operating systems so I can have a shittier web development experience overall.

Incorrect

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bloody posted:

Incorrect

OK. Let's see what happens.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
oh cool thanks windows. I don't want it taking up space on my 80GB SSD so I change the path and:

why even provide the option if installing it somewhere else doesn't actually work?

OFF TO A GREAT START ALREADY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
vs is the best IDE which says a lot more about every other IDE than it does about vs