Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

8 is probably best of the "modern" DQ games. Good relic of when Level-5 made good games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Policenaut posted:

8 is probably best of the "modern" DQ games. Good relic of when Level-5 made good games.

Hey uhh Fantasy LIfe and LBX are good. And um...I hear good things about yokai watch 2 but otherwise yeah :(

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
IV and V are the most popular with fans, iirc.

night slime
May 14, 2014
Any chances anyone knows if MGS3 runs better on the new 3DS? I was in the mountain area and the game slowed to a crawl. I'm playing on cartridge if that makes any difference. Mostly just curious since I know Smash Bros loads better.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

night slime posted:

Any chances anyone knows if MGS3 runs better on the new 3DS?

Unless you hack your Nu3DS so you can overclock games that weren't programmed for a beefier CPU, no can do, and it will run the same.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looking at the score aggregators:

8, 9 and 5, in that order.

I ignored any rankings for IOS because gently caress that trash.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

Looking at the score aggregators:

8, 9 and 5, in that order.

I ignored any rankings for IOS because gently caress that trash.

5 looks like the most interesting one so I'll try that first. Thanks, guys.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I started and finished DQV in one weekend. I would not put that game down. Pro tier.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
5 is great, probably one of my favorite games of all time. I'm a sucker for Monster-collecting games though.

Also its stupidly charming.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Middle aged Japanese teachers swear by 3. I've only played 4 myself but I really liked it.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
The one where you did each chapter as a new character is really fun. I liked the merchant chapter a lot. You best up monsters and take their loot back to town and sell in your store.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Party Meiser posted:

The one where you did each chapter as a new character is really fun. I liked the merchant chapter a lot. You best up monsters and take their loot back to town and sell in your store.

That is 4.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sega announced the next game for the third Sega 3D Classics compilation: Thunder Force 3

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Middle aged Japanese teachers swear by 3. I've only played 4 myself but I really liked it.

3 was the first one I beat on my own as a little kid, so it'll always be my fave.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Sega announced the next game for the third Sega 3D Classics compilation: Thunder Force 3

Are the extra games getting 3D treatment? If so then that one has some good parallax scrolling.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Has anyone tried playing DQ7 on the 2DS yet? I've only had time today to fire it up on my N3DS to make sure it worked ok. My plan is to play it on my 2DS while traveling in Italy next month, I just don't want any issues like Hyrule Warrior has on older hardware. Though I guess this has been out in Japan for awhile now, so probably not an issue.

I've had it on PS1 and have tried to start it on a few occasions over the past decade, but life always interrupts, sold it, repurchased it and tried to start it again before something comes up and I never get around to playing it.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Really outside of one and two none of the mainline DQ are considered bad. Not perfect but not bad.

I have a special place in my heart for Dragon Warrior... I mean Dragon Quest 1. It was my first turn based RPG. People poo poo on it and the original Zelda, but those 2 games were my poo poo growing up. Add in Battletoads, Double Dragon 2, TC Surf Designs, Mario 1-3 and Super Contra and you have the majority of my console gaming experience from 1989 - 1998.

I don't like DQ 2 or 3 on the NES because they look all funky (worse than 1 IMO) but the GBC versions of 2 and 3 are nice.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
If there was ever a reason to hack your 3DS, it's to get a soundtrack "undub" that restores the orchestral OST.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

Has anyone tried playing DQ7 on the 2DS yet? I've only had time today to fire it up on my N3DS to make sure it worked ok. My plan is to play it on my 2DS while traveling in Italy next month, I just don't want any issues like Hyrule Warrior has on older hardware. Though I guess this has been out in Japan for awhile now, so probably not an issue.

DQ7 came out 3 years ago in Japan. It has no New 3DS enhancements. 2DS will do nicely.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Shame it's not the entry in the series with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnLAC5AJPuM

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Capcom just announced a new Ace Attorney at TGS!

...It's a sequel to Great Ace Attorney. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1s2DhNp3I

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I wonder if we have more Ace Attorney games or Future mixtapes

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am spoiled by Bravely Default and Second. What sort of quality of life features does Dragon Quest VII have? BD having the ability to turn off encounters or increase them by 100% makes the game amazing to play, it never feels like a chore because you can play it on your terms. The auto combat is also great as well. These are features that I adore so much that I don't think I can play other jrpgs that don't have them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well it doesn't have that, so I don't see any point in this going any further.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They added noticeable input lag for the western version so it's not like they don't care.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Policenaut posted:

Capcom just announced a new Ace Attorney at TGS!

...It's a sequel to Great Ace Attorney. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt1s2DhNp3I

:smithicide:

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

The protagonist looking like Goku is pretty much the only notable QOL feature.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

I said come in! posted:

I am spoiled by Bravely Default and Second. What sort of quality of life features does Dragon Quest VII have? BD having the ability to turn off encounters or increase them by 100% makes the game amazing to play, it never feels like a chore because you can play it on your terms. The auto combat is also great as well. These are features that I adore so much that I don't think I can play other jrpgs that don't have them.

The monsters are all on-screen and avoidable instead of random encounters. Otherwise, I don't think DQVII is for you.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Allarion posted:

The monsters are all on-screen and avoidable instead of random encounters.

which is a better system then BD tbh

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

They added noticeable input lag for the western version so it's not like they don't care.

:psyduck:

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, people are speculating it has to do with the English font rendering or something. Also, I've only noticed it in a few menus, mostly the attributes.

pizza valentine fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 17, 2016

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The font render-- what a load of rubbish.

Unless... unless they are doing something as technically retarded as the PS1 version of Final Fantasy 6. Oh god, they are, aren't they?

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

If there was ever a reason to hack your 3DS, it's to get a soundtrack "undub" that restores the orchestral OST.

The difference is astounding. Do this.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

I have a special place in my heart for Dragon Warrior... I mean Dragon Quest 1. It was my first turn based RPG. People poo poo on it and the original Zelda, but those 2 games were my poo poo growing up. Add in Battletoads, Double Dragon 2, TC Surf Designs, Mario 1-3 and Super Contra and you have the majority of my console gaming experience from 1989 - 1998.

Nobody with good taste shits on Zelda 1

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The first Zelda is the worst like main-line Zelda game.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

MohShuvuu posted:

The difference is astounding. Do this.

How would one go about this? I've never installed homebrew before but if anything could get me to do it, it's this.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

which is a better system then BD tbh

Yeah it's pretty g- *enemy instantly spawns right on you* nvm

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

LODGE NORTH posted:

Okay but it's still fun and of superb quality.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

fount of knowledge posted:

The protagonist looking like Goku is pretty much the only notable QOL feature.

that's a downgrade cuz he was a garden gnome in the original.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

baram. posted:

that's a downgrade cuz he was a garden gnome in the original.

Why can't he be both? The rare and exotic Garden Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LODGE NORTH posted:

How can you say this when Zelda II, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword exist?