Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

:siren:After discussion with the mods, The Ethics of Protest Voting chat is banned indefinitely. You may criticize or defend democrats as normal. You may no longer post that 'protest voting is supporting fascism/republicans' or 'voting bad dems makes you a useful idiot' or anything of that sort.:siren:

That’s mathematics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Louisiana is about to pass it's Handmaid's Tale bill too. The Great Fuckening has really begun.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Stickman posted:

That’s mathematics.

Then think about the mathematics of it in the quiet of your own head please. The arguments here go nowhere.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

haveblue posted:

Yes. The Democratic House is passing these popular progressive bills as an extended campaign for the Senate and WH. If they get those, the bills will have to be re-passed anyway because it's a new session of Congress.

We can only hope it works and enough people in red states get tired of Mitch McConnell's "No!" crew getting in the way of legislation, but the Senate is just tough to take. It loving sucks that a minority government of ghoulish oligarchs can just grind up good legislation and be completely immune to electoral consequences.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Louisiana is about to pass it's Handmaid's Tale bill too. The Great Fuckening has really begun.

This is pretty similar to the run up to Obergefell, honestly. All of a sudden a whole shitload of states decided they simply had to have gay marriage bans in the books, and within the next 5 years SCOTUS was like, "we've decided in a 5-4 decision that...."

I just hope one of the conservatives "retires" or grows a heart or something so this isn't the reverse story.

Ershalim fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 17, 2019

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/CIAspygirl/status/1129401590430015488

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1129410114748932096

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1129391368479084545

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1129400707713589249

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1129420774325084161

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I remember back when the Todd Akin thing happened, I really thought a bunch of Republicans were going to just Akin themselves out of office, but here they are, still just Akining and Akining away, saying their horrible things, issuing "I misspoke" "apologies" and not being locked away in a cell with a gag in their mouths.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Prester Jane posted:

The present Democratic Leadership has demonstrated that it is completely incapable of addressing the threat of rising fascism, and supporting them only guarantees that America falls to Fascism. 7

Not supporting them guarantees the fascists will remain in office though.

What the gently caress is this logic?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure John Roberts is pleased that his ongoing project to gradually chip abortion rights down into total impracticality has been overruled by hardliners demanding that he unavoidably enrage half the country with an ABORTION: YES/NO decision right now.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Majorian posted:

China tariffs aren't working out so well for you, are they, Donny?:laugh:

I know trying to punch water is a fools errand, but Canda and Mexico need to take the action and push his poo poo in, show the world what a good drat chickenshit Donnie is.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

twice burned ice posted:

Not supporting them guarantees the fascists will remain in office though.

What the gently caress is this logic?

Hi, not sure if you saw but this line of argumentation is no longer allowed in this thread. If you feel like making a seperate Ethics In Protest Voting thread feel free I guess.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

skylined! posted:

Fascism is here. The long game of refusing to give your vote to the lesser of two evils means it is more likely that more people immediately suffer from fascism. You are admitting you are OK with that, because your personal political philosophy is that the immediate suffering of those most negatively affected by this fascist administration will be worth the longterm gains in persuading a political entity to go through a realignment.

The only other implication to take from your argument is that you think both democrats and republicans are essentially the same. And while there is plenty of evidence to show that they both serve monied interests, democrats have actually passed good and meaningful legislation that has legitimately helped people.

The Democrats are just the bleeding left edge of fascism, with their love of war that sometimes even exceeds that of the trump administration (such as getting mad about trump when it looked like he was going to pull troops from SK).

When it comes to immigration, Clinton had ratcheted up the fascism by banning legal immigrants from collecting welfare for 5 years and making virtually any criminal offense a deportable offense. Obama did no better by being the deporter in chief who made bush look humane, and notably went above and beyond to persecute southeast Asian refugees and having them deported back to Cambodia despite never spending any time there.

Liberals defended that by saying he had to be tough on immigration to get a favorable deal on immigration reform. Where was the reform?

A majority of Asian Americans don’t vote because the democrat establishment does nothing for us and for some ethnicities are trying to cook up another yellow peril scare. Outside of the bought and paid for democrat base (nonprofits, universities, labor unions, etc) nobody really loves or identifies with them.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 17, 2019

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

fool_of_sound posted:

Hi, not sure if you saw but this line of argumentation is no longer allowed in this thread. If you feel like making a seperate Ethics In Protest Voting thread feel free I guess.

Whoops, sorry, Slap me with that 6er if need be

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1129429624331657217

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

the president's monitor is a jumbotron

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

The Democrats are just the bleeding left edge of fascism, with their love of war that sometimes even exceeds that of the trump administration (such as getting mad about trump when it looked like he was going to pull troops from SK).

When it comes to immigration, Clinton had ratcheted up the fascism by banning legal immigrants from collecting welfare for 5 years and making virtually any criminal offense a deportable offense. Obama did no better by being the deporter in chief who made bush look humane, and notably went above and beyond to persecute southeast Asian refugees and having them deported back to Cambodia despite never spending any time there.

Liberals defended that by saying he had to be tough on immigration to get a favorable deal on immigration reform. Where was the reform?

A majority of Asian Americans don’t vote because the democrat establishment does nothing for us and for some ethnicities are trying to cook up another yellow peril scare. Outside of the bought and paid for democrat base (nonprofits, universities, labor unions, etc) nobody really loves or identifies with them.

There is a very real movement to move the entirety of the party much further leftward, with leftist dems in both the house and the senate - some of the most nationally popular people - and it seems weird and unhelpful to abandon the entire party at this pivotal moment when the AOCs of the party are fighting to become the next leaders.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Grape posted:

Fun fact: Former Soviet Georgia has infinitely more progressive abortion laws. And honestly after last year their democracies are on about the same level of legit. We have the worse Georgia.

A surprising hold-over from the post-Stalinist reformist phase of the USSR. Not every former Soviet Republic held on to the more progressive bits of Soviet policy, unfortunately.

Also, Caucasus Georgian food is way better.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Ershalim posted:

This is pretty similar to the run up to Obergefell, honestly. All of a sudden a whole shitload of states decided they simply had to have gay marriage bans in the books, and within the next 5 years SCOTUS was like, "we've decided in a 5-4 decision that...."

I just hope one of the conservatives "retires" or grows a heart or something so this isn't the reverse story.

I share that hope too. There's too much good, real and potential, to let these stone age patriarchal authoritarian shitwits drag us down.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

I thought u were Canadian CAPS LOCK BROKEN

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

skylined! posted:

There is a very real movement to move the entirety of the party much further leftward, with leftist dems in both the house and the senate - some of the most nationally popular people - and it seems weird and unhelpful to abandon the entire party at this pivotal moment when the AOCs of the party are fighting to become the next leaders.

I think most people here who want a change in party leadership are supportive of AOC, Tlaib, Omar, etc.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Majorian posted:

I think most people here who want a change in party leadership are supportive of AOC, Tlaib, Omar, etc.

Then why the continued usage of the phrase 'the democrats' as a monolithic fully-aligned body, as if words don't mean anything? As if 'centrist' or 'neoliberal' weren't words?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/allegrakirkland/status/1129423745360252928

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I really want to know if Republicans think rape is even a thing that happens.

The hints at their nebulous definition are completely loving insane.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

skylined! posted:

Then why the continued usage of the phrase 'the democrats' as a monolithic fully-aligned body, as if words don't mean anything? As if 'centrist' or 'neoliberal' weren't words?

Because unfortunately, the Democratic Party leadership has more influence over the messaging and strategy of the party than progressive freshman representatives. See, for example, Pelosi's dogged efforts to not just quash any talk of impeachment, but even of using contempt of Congress.

That said, I'm usually pretty specific when I'm referring to the party leadership, Pelosi and Schumer personally, the DCCC, etc.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Grape posted:

Fun fact: Former Soviet Georgia has infinitely more progressive abortion laws. And honestly after last year their democracies are on about the same level of legit. We have the worse Georgia.

That seems a little unfair to the Republic of Georgia, they had a fair election the week before our Georgia and most of the criticisms sound pretty familiar.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Man if only a nation could have some sort of organization to gather information independent of the media. An...intelligent organization, if you will...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

"Surely this one is a parody."

Every. Single. Time.

Edit: Oh hey, happy thought. Isn't the ruling on companies around Trump having to obey congressional subpoenas due today?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmao

They're so bad at their jobs, they can't even obstruct properly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

its because they think women deserve it and or are all whores or something on that vein of thought.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its because they think women deserve it and or are all whores or something on that vein of thought.

This, unfortunately. The cruelty is the point.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Majorian posted:

This, unfortunately. The cruelty is the point.

yep. its that plus alot of these guys legit don't have a concept for empathy/sympathy.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

their defination of rape is based on the stranger danager/those bulkying, big ripped, glistening oiled muscled alpha Chad non white fanfics.

also maybe if the female didnt do a sickass super NRA gunkata counterkill then clearly she wanted it.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pembroke Fuse posted:

A surprising hold-over from the post-Stalinist reformist phase of the USSR. Not every former Soviet Republic held on to the more progressive bits of Soviet policy, unfortunately.

Also, Caucasus Georgian food is way better.

Soul Food is incredibly good, but knowing the Upper Middle East I have no doubt this is true.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

TulliusCicero posted:

It's like their definition of racism. There is one platonic ideal of rape, and everything that is not a black man forcibly absconding with a white woman's virtue doesn't count. They're actually pretty consistent because most of their beliefs come from the same filtered down completely uncritical sources.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

What do you mean by "some ethnicities"?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

skylined! posted:

The people didn’t abandon the party. The party abandoned the people. The AAPI Victory Fund just had their annual summit- the leftist they invited for keynote speaker was none other than Tim Kaine.

Grapplejack posted:

What do you mean by "some ethnicities"?

The Democrats were cooking up another yellow peril scare by going after Chinese Americans like wen ho lee when 9/11 hit and the focus of state persecution shifted to Muslims.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 17, 2019

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1129427608410607616

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Actual Republican Platforms:
Sometimes you want to be raped and also abortions should be painful.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

TulliusCicero posted:

They think rape can only be"dude (probably brown) grabs a women at knifepoint in an alley to have sex against her will".

If she gets raped any other way, that's just her being a whore then having second thoughts afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Bicyclops posted:

lmao

They're so bad at their jobs, they can't even obstruct properly.

They showed up for the abortion ban vote.