Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

Net neutrality is MYSTERIOUSLY suddenly very bad and gets blown up in Congress and everyone gets cable again.

Yeah basically this is how the telcos have decided to tackle the fact that people are streaming things over the internet instead of paying them for cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

Net neutrality is MYSTERIOUSLY suddenly very bad and gets blown up in Congress and everyone gets cable again.

Net neutrality stuff is so annoyingly named I always have to look up which side is which. I guess that's deliberate tho', like Right To Work is anti-labor, Concerned Citizens For Fire Safety is the asbestos manufacturers, The American Petroleum Institute is an association of multinational oil producers, etc.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Net neutrality stuff is so annoyingly named I always have to look up which side is which. I guess that's deliberate tho', like Right To Work is anti-labor, Concerned Citizens For Fire Safety is the asbestos manufacturers, The American Petroleum Institute is an association of multinational oil producers, etc.

Funny how the ruling class took 1984's naming scheme as a how-to guide ain't it.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

zoux posted:

Why would that happen

Cable and broadcast TV are dying and advertising $ from them is the league's moneymaker.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
NBA just needs to make their own shoes instead of everyone signing with Nike or whatever.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can I start the food derail a couple days early? Because I just had Raising Cane's for the first time and I think it changed my life.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Click here to watch Kelly "The Smelly Clinic" Olynyk" take a bulldozer to the ribs: https://streamable.com/ydj8g

IcePhoenix posted:

Can I start the food derail a couple days early? Because I just had Raising Cane's for the first time and I think it changed my life.

Dejan just linked me to this check out the name tools:
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3153183/cane-broome

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

IcePhoenix posted:

The best fried chicken I've ever had was out of a foodtruck

Sure, it was started by a Michelin star chef, but still

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

IcePhoenix posted:

The chicken is cooked well but has almost no taste at all. The seasoning is all in the sauce. The very, very tasty sauce.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Didn't see this posted yet

https://www.yahoo.com/news/turkey-seeks-arrest-nba-star-kanter-report-134012079.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Turkey seeks arrest of NBA star Kanter - report

quote:

Istanbul (AFP) - Turkey issued an arrest warrant on Friday for Turkish NBA star Enes Kanter, accusing him of being a member of a "terror group", a pro-government newspaper reported.

A judge issued the arrest warrant after an Istanbul prosecutor opened an investigation into Kanter's alleged "membership of an armed terrorist organisation", Sabah daily reported.

Kanter, 25, a centre for Oklahoma City Thunder, previously backed Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen in Twitter postings after an attempted putsch last July aimed at ousting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Turkey accuses US-based Gulen of ordering the failed coup and refers to the movement as the "Fethullah Terrorist Organisation" (FETO). Gulen denies the claims.

The arrest warrant refers to Kanter's alleged use of an encrypted messaging application called Bylock, Sabah said, which Turkey claims was especially created for Gulen supporters.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Looks like the Thunder bench just got a new nickname

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

more like a terrorible defender

ill show myself out

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Does anyone have the multiple angle replay of Kyrie's spin into stepback three on Jae Chowdah last night

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

The chicken is cooked well but has almost no taste at all. The seasoning is all in the sauce. The very, very tasty sauce.

Accurate. I do appreciate though that the chicken wasn't super oily or over breaded which is a problem I've had at other places.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Does anyone have the multiple angle replay of Kyrie's spin into stepback three on Jae Chowdah last night

Sorry just this'n
https://streamable.com/cqn5f

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kibner posted:

That sauce owns.

I guess Kanter can never go home again, how sad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spacebump posted:

That sauce owns.

I guess Kanter can never go home again, how sad.

From his players trib article:

"I remember my 21st birthday, four years ago. I celebrated it in Turkey, at home with my parents and my brother and sister. My mom made türlü. It’s a Turkish stew with vegetables and meat. I dream about that meal. My mom makes it the best.

But I haven’t been back to Turkey in over two years. I haven’t spoken to my parents in two years either. My brother told me that they are afraid to go out in public. I don’t know if I will ever be able to return, or if I will ever see my parents again. One day my father went to the grocery store and a cashier spit in his face. He told my father that it was because of me. I feel terrible about it.

I have no Turkish friends anymore. I used to, before the failed coup last year. Now they can’t talk to me. If they contacted me they could be put in jail. Even if they followed me on Twitter or liked a photo on my Facebook page, it could be a problem."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

From his players trib article:

"My mom made türlü. It’s a Turkish stew with vegetables and meat. I dream about that meal. My mom makes it the best."

When I was reading that article this was the part that hurt me the most.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

that is extremely sad.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i know the threat of getting posterized by westbrook is scary but i dunno if i would call him a terrorist

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

gently caress Erdogan.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

IcePhoenix posted:

Accurate. I do appreciate though that the chicken wasn't super oily or over breaded which is a problem I've had at other places.

There a chicken chain in Florida called Guthrie's and it's the exact same, down to the sauce. I don't know how they get away with the flagrant infringement.

Also, i moved to SoCal from New Orleans and was excited to learn a Raisin Canes had opened up here.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

In food and drink talk I'm at Sierra Nevada today. Narwhal here I come

In chicken talk, Hattie B's was amazing and I thank this thread for the recommendation

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
RE: Byron Scott article a few pages ago. Like Byron gets to say all this crap while being employed by Time Warner which basically does whatever Jeanie Buss asks them to do. The Lakers "betrayed him" but are still giving him work when he shouldn't be getting basketball money at all.

Kibner posted:

The props I will give them is that fast food "fresh" chicken strips are usually a disaster, even at chicken places. I've never gotten chicken strips from them cold in the middle.

I like their lemonade though, it's very basic but good.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Good choice. Narwhal is an incredible beer.

Here's a translation of Manu's latest column he writes for an Argentinian paper:

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/5/24/15689148/manus-column-i-mustnt-make-decisions-in-the-heat-of-the-moment

quote:

As a matter of fact, everything was really weird. I felt like they were paying homage to me and I didn't know what to do, because I hadn't announced anything and I didn't decide anything yet. Anytime somebody came at me and said "It's been a pleasure to play against you" or "an honor to play with you" I ran out of words. It's clear that I'm very close to retirement and it's a possibility, but I didn't arrive at the game expecting to feel that kind of emotion. I thought that the fact of not having said anything about that topic was protecting me from that kind of situation. It was a mixture of emotions. I think that if I had made up my mind about that, without any doubt it would've been a devastating blow, because it would have bursted into tears right there. But since it was another kind of situation, I didn't know how to react at what had happened at the stadium.

It's also real that, when thinking about the determination I might take, there are some things that are beyond me to decide whether I will continue or not. There are things to measure with my family, although I am aware the it's not something we will debate with Many (Oroño, his wife) every single day. I am sure we will talk about it in the future. Last year she told me she would stand by me whatever my decision might be, and I suppose she won't be far away from that line this year, that's not something that will surprise me. But all in all, it's a subject we haven't talked about a lot, because it wasn't the right time to do it. At some point during the season, when you feel low, you think "it's about to be over", when you feel higher, you say "why not?". Now we'll take some family holidays, we'll travel a lot, I will clear my head, and, once we return, I suppose I will start to orientate myself towards some decision.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
apparently that (probably) terrible Byron Scott book was a goodreads giveaway. too bad I missed it.
never managed to finish the George Karl book, eventually it got more boring bad than funny bad.

Manu talking about how he didn't expect any of this just makes me wish the fans would stop inadvertently pressuring him to retire. MANU FOREVER

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'll try and get some good snaps of some ribs at work today for food chat

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hot food take, Detroit Red Top Pizza is the best pizza

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Shear Modulus posted:

Good choice. Narwhal is an incredible beer.

I am not a Beer Person and was confused about why whyteryce would eat an endangered ocean animal, and why it would be available in the sierra nevada mountains

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dude, Chinese people will eat anything that comes out of a body of water. Or any animal from any location.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Plus I assume you can powder up that horn for instant boners

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

WhyteRyce posted:

Hot food take, Detroit Red Top Pizza is the best pizza

That burn cheese edge is the bomb

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

is this real

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Brolander posted:

is this real

Yes. Look at the Michael Jordan cologne bottle. It's never been more real.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm gonna get some gravlax to start curing today because I have a big hunk of salmon and I'm too lazy to cook it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

Theory : lebron intentionally sandbagged 6 quarters on purpose to get kyrie going before the finals with the warriors.

I believe it.

It's too bad LBJ had to stop his 30+ point game streak for the purpose of embarrassing the Celtics one more time in Boston.

got some chores tonight posted:

but whos better: lebron james or kareem abdul jabbar

LBJ is the supreme playoff player or "LeBron hasn't surpassed Kobe at all." -Scottie Pippen

Someone should tell Pippen that 2016 Kyrie had a finals performance better than Kobe ever had.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Cable and broadcast TV are dying and advertising $ from them is the league's moneymaker.

Expect more of this:
https://twitter.com/goodyear/status/867937067837403136

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/cavs/status/867927881476747264

Bigass Moth posted:

NBA just needs to make their own shoes instead of everyone signing with Nike or whatever.

Man steals 800 pairs of shoes from Nike store in Portland
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-man-steals-800-pairs-162232078.html

800 pairs of shoes valued at $5K. Those shoes are only worth $3 a piece. Suddenly Nike's 87 billion market cap makes sense.

zoux posted:

One day my father went to the grocery store and a cashier spit in his face. He told my father that it was because of me.

Not a fan of the NBA.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Ehh, Lebron James is not a scorer. He passes the ball, so he can't be a scorer.

\

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

code:
Player		Consecutive Finals Appearances	Years
Bill Russell	10				1957-1966
Sam Jones	9				1958-1966
Tom Heinsohn	9				1957-1965
Frank Ramsey	8				1957-1964
K.C. Jones	8				1959-1966
Bob Cousy	7				1957-1963
LeBron James	7				2011-2017

xbilkis posted:

Chris Bosh is definitely coming to the Bulls, the medical staff will clear him for a game he shouldn't be playing in, he collapses on the court, Rondo nudges aside his lifeless body on his way to yell at Hoiberg

Sounds plausible.

Ghost Dog posted:

wasnt zogo posting that historically teams that sweep going into the finals have bad luck?

he saw the way the universe was going and dumped all the bad karma onto the warriors in an

impressive move

The 2001 Lakers won it all doing that.

DeimosRising posted:

...I much prefer a year like 2011 where each conference had 3 or 4 serious contenders...

2011 had the Heat, Mavericks and Lakers. I'm not seeing any other serious ones.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why weren't the bulls? They had a player with .200+ WS/48 and a stellar defense. I thought that was your model.

• Locked thread