Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

The Federation does not boast of its power, it wouldn't be Federation-y.

A few explicit power admissions of the top of my head:

1. When Praxis explodes, some Federation Admirals suggest to starve the Klingon's for 20 years and then have an easier time to win militarily.
2. The Klingon-Federation Alliance on some level is an existential threat to the Romulans and to an extent the Dominion.
3. When Kurn is kicked out of the High Council, part of the reason is that he believes the Klingons would lose a war to the Federation.

Also:

"But suppose you precipitate a full scale war?"
"Then, quite frankly, Mister President, we can clean their chronometers."

The charts they present for Operation Retrieve named 18 ships. That's one hell of a rescue team or an adequately armed tip of the spear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree that Star Trek should die. What I really want is the idea of a hopeful future. It doesn't have to be a perfect future, but a little hope would be nice.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

cheetah7071 posted:

And that's why The Orville exists

I do not agree, but then I do not watch that show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Let it die. There must be five or six hundred hours of Star Trek at this point, we don’t need to keep going to unlock its true potential. it’s not going to vanish away into nothingness if we don’t constantly spam the world with more of it, except in terms of profit, about which cry me a river. I would much rather watch a new space show that does its own thing and lives or dies by its own merit, than a space show trying vainly to recapture the appeal of shows from the last few decades which were themselves trying to recapture the appeal of yet older shows. 50 years is a great run for any piece of pop culture and something to be proud of, not something that needs to be dragged out until everyone who ever gave a gently caress about it is dead.

I generally agree, and I say this as someone who enjoys all three reboot movies. I think "Star Trek" as a label, after how many umpteen zillion hours of content, is more an albatross at this point than anything else.

The only thing on television that could really interest me at this point, after the wet fart that is Discovery, is a hard pivot into some other procedural genre. Law & Order: Star Trek or something like that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

Distrust and paranoid thinking.
I think they did this with the Cardassians better, but you could have an interesting arc with the guy who is paranoid and always thinks the worst of people being in a (hopefully milder) version of the Worf role. Unfortunately it would probably get written as "paranoia guy was sort of right every time and absolutely right once or twice," which would become "paranoia guy was always right every time, because every son of a bitching piece of nerd-rear end genre media has to be unremittingly bleak and depressing for us to feel like real mature matures."

As for my own desire in a Trek I agree with this

The Bloop posted:

A new crew doing exploration and facing moral conundrums while incidentally showing us a positive, progressive version of our possible future.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Counterpoint: Phlox.

He's, in many ways, much better than humans. He's chill and doesn't mind you getting busy with his wife. He'll still fix you up. He's funny. He's not Neelix. Why not explore one of humanity's better sides through an alien for a change?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love something that combined the hard scifi feel of the expanse but combined with trek's hopeful utopianism.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Sash! posted:

The charts they present for Operation Retrieve named 18 ships. That's one hell of a rescue team or an adequately armed tip of the spear.

Makes sense. They were basically preparing to have to invade the Klingon Empire hard and fast in order to exfiltrate a pair of POWs. They'd want to be ready to fight their way back out.

e: Did they ever release a blu-ray with the extended version of that scene?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Peachfart posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree that Star Trek should die. What I really want is the idea of a hopeful future. It doesn't have to be a perfect future, but a little hope would be nice.

I think it died years ago and the spirit of what made it worthwhile lives on in other projects like (most obviously) The Orville but also in shows like The Expanse

We've passed the Simpsons Threshold where the thing continues on cultural inertia and people seem to like the idea of the thing more than the actual result

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
One data point that contradicts the Federation's status as the biggest and most powerful is that in the Yesterday's Enterprise timeline, the Klingons are on the verge of winning the war. On the other hand, that episode posited something insane like twenty years of warfare, so who knows what all might have happened during that time; maybe that's after other powers tried taking advantage and jumping the Federation.

Arglebargle III posted:

Forget continuity or continuing the story of Star Trek qua itself, what would you want a modern star trek to be about?

A series of morality plays and adventure stories where Our Heroes confront problems representing some of the issues we face today, while demonstrating values and norms of a more just society than the one we live in today. Cool arc stories that lead to exciting season cliffhangers optional, but should be something that quietly builds in the background or occasionally rather than dominating the show.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love something that combined the hard scifi feel of the expanse but combined with trek's hopeful utopianism.
The Martian, the series?

And if you haven't seen Sunshine, watch it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I still think it's funny that Riker is mad at Jellico for trying to implement a crew rotation with more downtime.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really really hated Sunshine.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nessus posted:

I think they did this with the Cardassians better, but you could have an interesting arc with the guy who is paranoid and always thinks the worst of people being in a (hopefully milder) version of the Worf role. Unfortunately it would probably get written as "paranoia guy was sort of right every time and absolutely right once or twice," which would become "paranoia guy was always right every time, because every son of a bitching piece of nerd-rear end genre media has to be unremittingly bleak and depressing for us to feel like real mature matures."

As for my own desire in a Trek I agree with this

A Romulan character would be interesting if it were almost like watching a person from an abusive home life find himself in a setting with trustworthy, charitable individuals. Having to temper their self-serving defensive instinctive actions and reactions; eventually learning that there is a reason for striving that is in service to others, and in service to a greater good. Oh is that what Michael is supposed to be about in Disco? I can't tell exactly what her arc entails.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The idea that a monospecies empire could stand up to the combined efforts of what, 150 species always seemed a bit implausible to me

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also lump me in with "if you're going to make a new space opera show, how about a non-Trek space opera?"

Kazinsal posted:

e: Did they ever release a blu-ray with the extended version of that scene?

Unfortunately no, Paramount doesn't give a poo poo about the older movies. I'm happy we at least got a Bluray of the Wrath of Khan DC.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Brawnfire posted:

A Romulan character would be interesting if it were almost like watching a person from an abusive home life find himself in a setting with trustworthy, charitable individuals. Having to temper their self-serving defensive instinctive actions and reactions; eventually learning that there is a reason for striving that is in service to others, and in service to a greater good. Oh is that what Michael is supposed to be about in Disco? I can't tell exactly what her arc entails.

We already had this episode in TNG with Geordi and the romcom

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cingulate posted:

Counterpoint: Phlox.

He's, in many ways, much better than humans. He's chill and doesn't mind you getting busy with his wife. He'll still fix you up. He's funny. He's not Neelix. Why not explore one of humanity's better sides through an alien for a change?

You are going to have to make the case here that letting people get it on with your wife is better than standard human behavior.

Alien psychology not including sexual jealousy doesn't make it better or even possible, and certainly doesn't make it human.

He is an interesting vehicle to explore those issues, I agree, just not with the contention that he is better because he is some Heinlein-level sex hippy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

I still think it's funny that Riker is mad at Jellico for trying to implement a crew rotation with more downtime.

huge, huge lols if you think the TNG writers knew how different shift rotations work

(hell, I don't really understand it either)

That said I still think it's goofy as gently caress to reassign a bunch of engineering staff to security, especially while simultaneously assigning them a major project that demands round-the-clock work. If you need more bodies holding phasers, reassign some blueshirts!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

It was more that changing everyone's sleep and work schedule right before a major and dangerous mission was probably not ideal.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Sunshine feels like they got stuck halfway through the script, rolled dice for a plot twist and it landed on “religion bad”

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

You are going to have to make the case here that letting people get it on with your wife is better than standard human behavior.

Alien psychology not including sexual jealousy doesn't make it better or even possible, and certainly doesn't make it human.

He is an interesting vehicle to explore those issues, I agree, just not with the contention that he is better because he is some Heinlein-level sex hippy.
Well, there are a bunch of self-reported low-jealousy polyamorous people. But I feel it wouldn't be on me to make the case, but the series - that it should be part of the exploration!

I didn't intend it to be thus specific though - I was more about the lack of aggression in general, not the complex poly thing. Why not explore people less aggressive, less vengeful, more pleasant, more relaxed than humans? And not in the "uptight buddhist" way Picard is. Why not Heinlein level sex hippy?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

One data point that contradicts the Federation's status as the biggest and most powerful is that in the Yesterday's Enterprise timeline, the Klingons are on the verge of winning the war. On the other hand, that episode posited something insane like twenty years of warfare, so who knows what all might have happened during that time; maybe that's after other powers tried taking advantage and jumping the Federation.

If I'm remembering the episode correctly, the E-C jumped 22 years into the future and Picard does say twenty years of war (could have been rounding), so it's not hard to imagine the Klingons going insane about Narendra III, ending the peace talks they were in at the time and then sucker-punching the Federation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

The idea that a monospecies empire could stand up to the combined efforts of what, 150 species always seemed a bit implausible to me
But they're elite warrior elites with a warrior elite tradition of elites! Their uniforms are really cool!

I think that the idea with the Feds is that there are probably (say) more Klingons than there are humans in absolute terms. There are more and bigger Klingon colony planets. They have a longer space-borne tradition than most of the core Federation species. The Vulcans did not seem greatly expansionistic and I don't think we know a lot more about the Andorians or Tellarites. However, by forming a coalition they can combine ideas and strengths from everyone while covering up everyone else's weaknesses.

As for space opera I'd also be up for some new space opera that was also not grimdark corpostate hellscape. People keep mentioning The Expanse but it's always sounded to me like a combination of the less attractive parts of UC Gundam and modern prestige television.

e: Another factor with the Federation would be that they can blob up with other minor powers. The Betazoids might have been a C-list space power, as were the Benzars and those guys with transparent heads; but you coordinate enough C-listers and you start topping the A-list. In the Yesterday's Enterprise universe this process might have stopped or even reversed itself, with recent Federation members seeking separate peaces or so forth.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 31, 2018

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, I adore Sunshine until it takes a hard left into a weird slasher film. The last twenty minutes or so feel like they come from a different script.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zurui posted:

Yeah, I adore Sunshine until it takes a hard left into a weird slasher film. The last twenty minutes or so feel like they come from a different script.
Most of the plot isn't so hot, yes. In particular the slasher part. It's quite boring. I love the atmosphere though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nessus posted:

e: Another factor with the Federation would be that they can blob up with other minor powers. The Betazoids might have been a C-list space power, as were the Benzars and those guys with transparent heads; but you coordinate enough C-listers and you start topping the A-list. In the Yesterday's Enterprise universe this process might have stopped or even reversed itself, with recent Federation members seeking separate peaces or so forth.

Yeah I imagine in another show you could have had an entire arc of the Dominion trying to split off individual federation members, since the federation seems more like the EU+NATO than a true federated state.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

As for space opera I'd also be up for some new space opera that was also not grimdark corpostate hellscape. People keep mentioning The Expanse but it's always sounded to me like a combination of the less attractive parts of UC Gundam and modern prestige television.

Expanse is indeed slightly UC Gundam in terms of its setting but I think the plotting is a cut above random “prestige” show. It’s an adaptation so has the inestimable advantage of knowing more or less where it is going. It somewhat suffers from dickish characters but then again, it isn’t a procedural about justice and exemplary conduct but a thriller about intrigue, war, and dirty deeds. A bit noir/cyberpunk but not grimdark.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

skasion posted:

Expanse is indeed slightly UC Gundam in terms of its setting but I think the plotting is a cut above random “prestige” show. It’s an adaptation so has the inestimable advantage of knowing more or less where it is going. It somewhat suffers from dickish characters but then again, it isn’t a procedural about justice and exemplary conduct but a thriller about intrigue, war, and dirty deeds. A bit noir/cyberpunk but not grimdark.
That's good then, I'll put it in the hopper. Some of this is of course the pollution of online discourse; when everything you see about a work with ten aspects focuses on one or two of those aspects, the others end up eclipsed when you're looking in from afar.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Baronjutter posted:

Sunshine is like 2/3rds of a good movie and then it just goes completely off the rails and into the trash heap

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Also:

"But suppose you precipitate a full scale war?"
"Then, quite frankly, Mister President, we can clean their chronometers."

Going through the list on Memory Alpha per various canon and non-canon sources it is a "rescue mission" consisting of Excelsior, 8-9 Constitutions, Constellation, 1-2 Mirandas, a Ranger-class cruiser, several Oberths and the Whorfin which may well have been a transport like the class of the same name. That'd be one of the biggest battle groups seen in the entire franchise to fight anything other than an out-of-quadrant threat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I imagine in another show you could have had an entire arc of the Dominion trying to split off individual federation members, since the federation seems more like the EU+NATO than a true federated state.

This was apparently the plan for season 4 of DS9 before the studio mandated Worf and the Klingons. The original plan was for Vulcan to secede from the Federation in what would have turned out to be a changeling plot - Home Front/Paradise Lost was adapted from that planned story.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

shovelbum posted:

Going through the list on Memory Alpha per various canon and non-canon sources it is a "rescue mission" consisting of Excelsior, 8-9 Constitutions, Constellation, 1-2 Mirandas, a Ranger-class cruiser, several Oberths and the Whorfin which may well have been a transport like the class of the same name. That'd be one of the biggest battle groups seen in the entire franchise to fight anything other than an out-of-quadrant threat.
Ah, a Yoyodyne truncheon bomber!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shovelbum posted:

On the other hand, I feel like there is some historical precedent in bringing overwhelming firepower to an operation not intended to kick off a war, in Operation Paul Bunyan:

quote:

A U.S. Infantry company in 20 utility helicopters and seven Cobra attack helicopters circled behind them. Behind these helicopters, B-52 Stratofortresses, came from Guam escorted by U.S. F-4 Phantom IIs from Kunsan Air Base and South Korean F-5 and F-86 fighters were visible flying across the sky at high altitude. At Taegu Air Base, F-111 bombers of the 366th Tactical Fighter Wing out of Mountain Home Air Force Base, were stationed, and F-4 Phantoms C and D from the 18th TFW Kadena Air Base and Clark Air Base were also deployed. The aircraft carrier USS Midway task force had also been moved to a station just offshore.

All that and more, just to cut down a tree.

Now, that said, I'm sure the "official" rationale under Operation Retrieve was "we need those assets on hand in case things turn ugly," while in their heads the admirals who devised it were thinking "...and we'll make sure things turn ugly."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Ah, that's an interesting context, but I still think black and blue and sleek doesn't evoke Klingonness. It looks like a different race.

It's actually red by default. In that picture is a red and white variant under blue lighting.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 31, 2018

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

On the other hand, I feel like there is some historical precedent in bringing overwhelming firepower to an operation not intended to kick off a war, in Operation Paul Bunyan:

All that and more, just to cut down a tree.

Now, that said, I'm sure the "official" rationale under Operation Retrieve was "we need those assets on hand in case things turn ugly," while in their heads the admirals who devised it were thinking "...and we'll make sure things turn ugly."

quote:

In addition, a 64-man South Korean Special Forces company accompanied them, armed with clubs and trained in Tae Kwon Do, supposedly without firearms. However, once they parked their trucks near the Bridge of No Return, they started throwing out the sandbags that lined the truck bottoms, and handing out M16 rifles and M79 grenade launchers that had been concealed below.[3] Several of the special forces men also had M18 Claymore mines strapped to their chests with the firing mechanism in their hands, and were shouting at the North Koreans to cross the bridge.[14][15]

Don't forget the Klingons

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was actually going to mention that one. Probably the only tree ever cut down with strategic bombers supporting the job.

Ah, the good old days of the Korean Conflict, when all you had to worry about were North Koreans rolling up in some buses.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

It's actually red by default. In that picture is a red and white variant under blue lighting.

Holy poo poo, I had to sprain my eyes to see that, but you're right. I like it a little bit better now, although it does look a lot like a Republic ship from Star Wars that way.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
So I decided to keep watching TOS. Dang, The Menagerie is pretty good. I read that the original pilot didn’t air until 1988, so most of the footage was new for the people watching it at the time. It’s really cool having seen the pilot episode before this watching how they shoehorned the footage in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

My dream Trek arc would be a story about a pre-warp civilisation that has sending out hello messages for years but has been left alone due to the Prime Directive, and it's only when a mission is sent to investigate them further that it is realised their whole region of space simply doesn't allow subspace/warp technologies to work. In many ways they could be more technologically advanced than the Federation, but limited to a handful of star systems that they have to spend years travelling between. Have the story end with the discovery that the region of space could be "fixed" to allow warp travel and having made contact with the outside galaxy and the threats it contains the native species has to decide if they want to open themselves up, or stay trapped in their safe bubble.