Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Looks like Tom Paris’s Chris Pratt's brother.

at least in timg

edit: gently caress, new page. here's the image again:

also have this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

It's also just a slight tweak of the canon Prometheus class.

If we're poking fun at Star Trek Online ships again, here's a few more.

Federation: Eclipse class.

Klingons: Durgath class.

Romulans: Laeosa class.

You know, as bad as Starfleet kitbashes can get I think Klingon ships get the worst of it a lot of the time. Even with Romulan ships all you really need to do is make it vaguely bird like and call it a day (it won’t be great but it will at least be consistent).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair, the Durgath is meant to be a 26th century ship and so look off and different to regular Klank ships.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is it ever made explicit in canon how much power the federation has compared to the rest of the quadrant? Does anyone ever outright say, „if the federation ever tried, they could murder any of the monoracial empires“?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cingulate posted:

Is it ever made explicit in canon how much power the federation has compared to the rest of the quadrant? Does anyone ever outright say, „if the federation ever tried, they could murder any of the monoracial empires“?

It's implicit in the fact that without trying they manage to stay the military equal of the Romulans and at least the equal of the Klingons

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think there's a reason the other superpower states generally avoid war with the Federation by TNG. The Federation could probably mop the floor with them if they actually tried to pursue a war instead of just defending themselves.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't get what's so hard about Klingon aesthetic, but you're right that it's always so poorly done. All you need is a bunch of clunky, boxy shapes, copper tarnish green and rust red, and a forky shape at the front for jabbing at enemies.

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, the Durgath is meant to be a 26th century ship and so look off and different to regular Klank ships.

Ah, that's an interesting context, but I still think black and blue and sleek doesn't evoke Klingonness. It looks like a different race.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 31, 2018

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

It's implicit in the fact that without trying they manage to stay the military equal of the Romulans and at least the equal of the Klingons

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I think there's a reason the other superpower states generally avoid war with the Federation by TNG. The Federation could probably mop the floor with them if they actually tried to pursue a war instead of just defending themselves.
I agree it’s pretty obvious, I’m just wondering if anyone ever bothers saying it out loud.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cingulate posted:

I think some of the reasoning is that the Federation will fight as the Federation but Klingons and Romulans will just eventually start trying to out-glory each other or just backstabbing everyone else.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Cingulate posted:

Not really, and all the territorial maps you can find generally contradict each other to smaller or greater degrees (though generally the federation seems to always be larger than the other rival powers)- but by the end of established canon, I would imagine that you can probably place the Federation as the strongest single power in the alpha/beta quadrant while still retaining relatively warm relations to the others. The Cardassians are ruined after the dominion war, and the only other two real remaining major powers are the Klingons and Romulans- and the former has by that point grown so tight with the federation that most of extended universe stuff, afaik, firmly place them as federation allies, and the Romulans are a generally inward looking empire that seemed to be mostly content with cutting off most official outside contact until a coup forced them into war (that entire shinzon affair), after which they too seem to have gotten more than their share of the federation's mind controlloing root beer

so I'd say the federation is easily #1

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Not really, and all the territorial maps you can find generally contradict each other to smaller or greater degrees (though generally the federation seems to always be larger than the other rival powers)- but by the end of established canon, I would imagine that you can probably place the Federation as the strongest single power in the alpha/beta quadrant while still retaining relatively warm relations to the others. The Cardassians are ruined after the dominion war, and the only other two real remaining major powers are the Klingons and Romulans- and the former has by that point grown so tight with the federation that most of extended universe stuff, afaik, firmly place them as federation allies, and the Romulans are a generally inward looking empire that seemed to be mostly content with cutting off most official outside contact until a coup forced them into war (that entire shinzon affair), after which they too seem to have gotten more than their share of the federation's mind controlloing root beer

so I'd say the federation is easily #1

And according to VOY and ENT, the Klingons and Romulans end up as members of the Federation sometime in the next several centuries.

Combined with the timeships, I've been under the strong impression that the Federation is on course to eventually control the entire Milky Way and beyond. I think that's part of why Q is so interested in humanity, he knows they're destined to become something much, much more down the road - if they survive.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Bloop posted:

also have this:

Ah, Captain Goodboy, the finest of the fleet.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Again, I’m not asking if the federation is truly #1 - just if that’s ever explicitly said.

(Even before I had watched DS9 or late voyager, I had always assumed that of course the vaguely liberal-democratic E Pluribus Unum group will beat the people who restrict their recruitment pool to people with the right forehead ridges. If the federation has Klingon bridge officers and the Klingons don’t have non-Klingon officers, how could the fight go any other way?)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cingulate posted:

Again, I’m not asking if the federation is truly #1 - just if that’s ever explicitly said.

Not explicitly that I can ever recall, but there are ways it's implicitly said: For example, the Borg (pre-Voyager fuckery) going straight to demolish the Federation and ignoring the Romulans and Klingons at first.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder what it says about humans that if I ask, 3 times, if it’s ever not just implied, but explicitly said that X, I get 4 answers how it’s strongly implied that X :v:

E.: or that, having received the same unsatisfactory answer to the same question 2 times, I go and ask exactly the same question a 3rd time.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 31, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So no, it's never explicitly stated that if the Federation wanted to they could easily take out the Klingons, the Romulans, or both at the same time. That's not the kind of question Star Trek is usually interested in asking.

But as it is, pretty much every galactic power is terrified of the Federation and understandably so.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cingulate posted:

I wonder what it says about humans that if I ask, 3 times, if it’s ever not just implied, but explicitly said that X, I get 4 answers how it’s strongly implied that X :v:

E.: or that, having received the same unsatisfactory answer to the same question 2 times, I go and ask exactly the same question a 3rd time.

The Federation does not boast of its power, it wouldn't be Federation-y.

A few explicit power admissions of the top of my head:

1. When Praxis explodes, some Federation Admirals suggest to starve the Klingon's for 20 years and then have an easier time to win militarily.
2. The Klingon-Federation Alliance on some level is an existential threat to the Romulans and to an extent the Dominion.
3. When Kurn is kicked out of the High Council, part of the reason is that he believes the Klingons would lose a war to the Federation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Romulan Star Empire is the Soviet Union in the 1960s. The Klingon Empire is the Soviet Union in 1990. The Federation is the Soviet Union in 2370.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

1. When Praxis explodes, some Federation Admirals suggest to starve the Klingon's for 20 years and then have an easier time to win militarily.

Starfleet admirals. It would surprise me not at all if parts of the Admiralty want more funding from the federation for more warships and are always overstating how depleted the fleet is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Bloop posted:

Starfleet admirals. It would surprise me not at all if parts of the Admiralty want more funding from the federation for more warships and are always overstating how depleted the fleet is.

That's heavily implied in the C-in-C briefing in VI, and is part of the "militaristic" tone that Roddenberry supposedly hated (though considering how senile he was when he saw that screening before his death, I wouldn't be at all shocked if it were Maizlish relaying his own demands under the guise of "Roddenberry").

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Forget continuity or continuing the story of Star Trek qua itself, what would you want a modern star trek to be about?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Forget continuity or continuing the story of Star Trek qua itself, what would you want a modern star trek to be about?

A new crew doing exploration and facing moral conundrums while incidentally showing us a positive, progressive version of our possible future.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Penn and Teller in space, debunking deities and cultic beliefs on planets throughout the galaxy.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Arglebargle III posted:

How about a series set roughly ten years before the events of Star Trek: The Original Series, a show seeing the Klingon houses united in a war with the United Federation of Planets that involves the crew of the USS Exploration or something in that vein

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Bloop posted:

A new crew doing exploration and facing moral conundrums while incidentally showing us a positive, progressive version of our possible future.

This. My dream idea I keep doodling is setting it post-Voyager and exploring the idea of the Federation after the Borg and Dominion wars trying to get back to its roots of exploration. Have most of the crew affected by the events of the last several years, maybe - whether characters with PTSD, people who signed up during the war now struggling with peace, veterans who are trying to rediscover why they originally went into space, etc.

And finally have a Romulan on the crew and start exploring them like Worf did for the Klingons, Spock did for the Vulcans, Odo did for the Dominion, etc. Maybe a Vorta, too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

How about a series set roughly ten years before the events of Star Trek: The Original Series, a show seeing the Klingon houses united in a war with the United Federation of Planets that involves the crew of the USS Exploration or something in that vein

Why would you want it to be about Klingons and war?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kelpians remind me a little bit of Vorta, but without the self confidence

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Prometheus/Alien Covenant without the horror. Make it look like either the beginning of Prometheus (before the engineer shows up, or at least before he drinks the poison), like the planetary exploration in Alien: Covenant, or like the beginning of Into Darkness (pink alien planet), but have the story be a slow exploration of an entirely alien world. Mood wise like the parts of TMP where you've forgotten the thing is threatening earth. If you need conflict, make it like Darmok: the solution is always discovery (not of weapons) and communication. The enemy is physics or nature.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cythereal posted:

And finally have a Romulan on the crew and start exploring them like Worf did for the Klingons, Spock did for the Vulcans, Odo did for the Dominion, etc. Maybe a Vorta, too.

What would that do beyond checking off a box? What purpose would exploring the romulans serve?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Why would you want it to be about Klingons and war?
It's a joke about ST: Discovery.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Starfleet staffs one of their less-than-top-grade ships with a B team of good but not perfect officers and tells them to just... go out there and try to not break the Prime Directive too much.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

What would that do beyond checking off a box? What purpose would exploring the romulans serve?

Develop one of Star Trek's major galactic powers that very little is actually known about, a worthwhile end in itself.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Arglebargle III posted:

Let it die. There must be five or six hundred hours of Star Trek at this point, we don’t need to keep going to unlock its true potential. it’s not going to vanish away into nothingness if we don’t constantly spam the world with more of it, except in terms of profit, about which cry me a river. I would much rather watch a new space show that does its own thing and lives or dies by its own merit, than a space show trying vainly to recapture the appeal of shows from the last few decades which were themselves trying to recapture the appeal of yet older shows. 50 years is a great run for any piece of pop culture and something to be proud of, not something that needs to be dragged out until everyone who ever gave a gently caress about it is dead.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

Develop one of Star Trek's major galactic powers that very little is actually known about, a worthwhile end in itself.

Also, SciFi uses aliens as a stand in for some human idea, so while Worf can be used to explore concepts like honor, a Romulan crewman can be used to explore some other concept.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

skasion posted:

Let it die. There must be five or six hundred hours of Star Trek at this point, we don’t need to keep going to unlock its true potential. it’s not going to vanish away into nothingness if we don’t constantly spam the world with more of it, except in terms of profit, about which cry me a river. I would much rather watch a new space show that does its own thing and lives or dies by its own merit, than a space show trying vainly to recapture the appeal of shows from the last few decades which were themselves trying to recapture the appeal of yet older shows. 50 years is a great run for any piece of pop culture and something to be proud of, not something that needs to be dragged out until everyone who ever gave a gently caress about it is dead.

And that's why The Orville exists

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I would love a Lower Decks type spin on things, following many minor characters instead of the bridge crew, who they would only interact with in small doses.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd also want an openly LGBT character where, unlike in Discovery, they don't kill off one of the couple for shock value.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

And that's why The Orville exists

This is basically the response to almost all the answers to the question so far.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

I'd also want an openly LGBT character where, unlike in Discovery, they don't kill off one of the couple for shock value.

At least we got a pretty sweet onscreen kiss out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Also, SciFi uses aliens as a stand in for some human idea, so while Worf can be used to explore concepts like honor, a Romulan crewman can be used to explore some other concept.

Distrust and paranoid thinking.