Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Instant Sunrise posted:

It's where most black people in the south live.

because that was where most of the plantations were prior to the civil war.

because that was there the best quality soil for planting and growing was.

because that area was a shallow coastline during the cretaceous period and had a ton of marine plankton in those seas at the time.

Also a lot of those counties have very low population, since both white people and those black people who can afford to move refuse to live in them. Because the state governments tend to punish those counties with cut back services, especially in Alabama and Mississippi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How do systems that don't have a two-party system manage elections for positions like President? How did they avoid creating a system that encourages there only be two parties?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

eviltastic posted:

If that idea freaks you out, don't ever move into a home in a new addition in the suburbs.

Ahahahaha, like I could ever afford a home. I'm a Millennial!

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

I just am happy that we don't have to deal with any that can kill you.

Yeah, they tend not to get too big, aren't lethal, and don't fly.

However, one time, I was able to watch a huge wolf spider make a massive web between two street lights (~10 yards apart maybe? I'm bad with distance, and this was about a decade ago). Seeing it leap that distance repeatedly and craft a god drat work of art was a really cool way to spend an hour.

Covok posted:

I'm open to Egg McMuffin with Cheese taking Utah, I actually welcome it, but assuming this means Clinton doesn't get 270 is just so perplexing when you consider she was never going to win it.

I'm really enjoying how effective he's been at specifically loving over Trump's game in UT, considering basically no one outside of the state has any idea who he is.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Covok posted:

How do systems that don't have a two-party system manage elections for positions like President? How did they avoid creating a system that encourages there only be two parties?

A lot of countries have coalition governments

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

My house has more house centipedes than spiders, for some reason.

In the Texas Hill Country we get the :nms:redhead centipedes:nms: which are the worst giant things to see inside flailing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Trilas posted:

Yeah, they tend not to get too big, aren't lethal, and don't fly.

However, one time, I was able to watch a huge wolf spider make a massive web between two street lights (~10 yards apart maybe? I'm bad with distance, and this was about a decade ago). Seeing it leap that distance repeatedly and craft a god drat work of art was a really cool way to spend an hour.

Wolf spiders don't build webs. They hunt on foot, which is where they get the name. There are a bunch of web-builders that look kinda like them, though.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Covok posted:

Look up first past the post, and then the videos all over the place examining why it always regresses towards two parties in the end.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
House centipedes head is creepy.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

I just am happy that we don't have to deal with any that can kill you.

The Northern Widow and Brown Recluse can both be found in Minnesota. Sleep well!

Covok posted:

We elect parties not leaders themselves. It makes it much easier to have more than 2 parties exist at once. The Prime Minister is just the leader of the winning party.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
gently caress this spider derail. Let's go back to dog chat. More importantly, political dog chat

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

WampaLord posted:

Ahahahaha, like I could ever afford a home. I'm a Millennial!

Realtalk, depending on your area, a house might not be that different from an apartment in terms of rental cost, and can be a lot better in terms of roommate dynamics. Or it might be hilariously expensive. I found it worth looking into.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Furnaceface posted:

The Northern Widow and Brown Recluse can both be found in Minnesota. Sleep well!

We elect parties not leaders themselves. It makes it much easier to have more than 2 parties exist at once. The Prime Minister is just the leader of the winning party.

But doesn't this mean you can have leader you didn't elect who hold opinions you wouldn't have voted for if you had known they'd lead?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I will be the first president to have a First Tarantula that I will give free reign of the White House

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want off Mr Creepy Crawly's Wild Ride now please :(

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

gently caress this spider derail. Let's go back to dog chat. More importantly, political dog chat

gently caress Buddy, Socks forever

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Kinda frustrating that there wasn't enough news today to keep this thread from inevitable insect chat.

Calm before the storm?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Ciaphas posted:

I want off Mr Creepy Crawly's Wild Ride now please :(

Shall I tell you about my encounter with motherfucking tree-climbing rats that I had this summer?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

eviltastic posted:

Realtalk, depending on your area, a house might not be that different from an apartment in terms of rental cost, and can be a lot better in terms of roommate dynamics. Or it might be hilariously expensive. I found it worth looking into.

At least in LA it's very common for landlords to refuse to rent houses to young people with roommates. They only want families.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crowsbeak posted:

House centipedes head is creepy.

But they are awesome and keep the place bug free.

Jumping Spiders are both harmless and awesome

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

gfsincere posted:

Can't find a picture of the setup, but I did find a picture of me and balls out crazy John McAfee.

Feel free to ask me how meeting him went.

Whatever crazy poo poo you can imagine he said, he probably did. Also he said to me "I like you, you remind me a lot of myself", which I didn't know whether to take as a compliment or an insult.
Did he offer you drugs?

Beef-Stew
Feb 1, 2005
mmmmmmm... Beefy

skylined! posted:

Kinda frustrating that there wasn't enough news today to keep this thread from inevitable insect chat.

Calm before the storm?

Yeah, after the past few days I no longer believe that the Tapes That Were Promised are coming.

I suppose this means a Miller will strike me down for apostasy.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Crow Jane posted:

Shall I tell you about my encounter with motherfucking tree-climbing rats that I had this summer?

Tree-climbing rats are like the least of my worries my dude because I have seen literal snakes climbing trees.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah I kind of hate house centipedes because they're huge and fast but they're basically completely harmless. And jumping spiders are adorable :3:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Trilas posted:

I'm really enjoying how effective he's been at specifically loving over Trump's game in UT, considering basically no one outside of the state has any idea who he is.
Does Trump even have a game in Utah? Because I think that may be part of the reason along with Mormons not liking Trump.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

eviltastic posted:

Thankfully I'm on my own currently with no roommates, the problem is that I'd never be able to save up a down payment. Also, I've never had a stable enough job where I would feel comfortable locking myself into one location for many years.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Covok posted:

nationwide representative parliament to avoid a two-party system, a two-stage presidential election where at first it's all the candidates and the second round is just the top two, unless one of the candidates got 50% of the first round vote is the usual way to do it. It's not perfect but better than the joke american elections are

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

gfsincere posted:

Can we have a thread for hosed up and creepy true poo poo? Like how the National Parks Service has about 6k people go missing every year, but unlike every state, they have no publicly available missing persons database and completely stonewall any FOIA requests for any investigations they do on said missing persons?

Also a majority of the cases are children under 11, and when they are found, they are always found in places physically impossible for those children to be, like up the side of mountains impossible to climb without gear, or on the other side of wide rivers without shoes and with dry clothes. One child was missing for 3 hours and being found 14 miles from his last location. Oh and he was 3 years old.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Link? I'd like to read about this.

I feel like gfsincere is talking about this stuff:

Everything posted in /r/nosleep is real!

You are welcome. I hope whoever never read those did not have plans today.

And it's not real.

It is! :cthulhu:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
what is it like to live in a place so sterile you can actually rid a place of pests or where you think mammals of any kind are a pest.

Like I lived in a house with a landlord so lovely that we eventually had to seal off one of the bathrooms because it had been more or less taken over by roaches and he wouldn't do anything about it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hillary has been hunkered down prepping for the final debate. Meanwhile Trump is holding rallies in safely blue states.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Covok posted:

But doesn't this mean you can have leader you didn't elect who hold opinions you wouldn't have voted for if you had known they'd lead?

Yes. But the PM holds less power as an individual than your President does. Most things go through a parliamentary vote, though you can have cases where what you point out happens. In Canada we just went through it with the Conservative government led by Stephen Harper. His party was nothing but followers and yes-men that bowed to his every whim and it has done irreparable damage to the country.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

Oh they are. Still a giant version of it would make a cool legend of zelda enemy.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

WampaLord posted:

Thankfully I'm on my own currently with no roommates, the problem is that I'd never be able to save up a down payment. Also, I've never had a stable enough job where I would feel comfortable locking myself into one location for many years.

I'm talking about renting a house. As Tiny Brontosaurus mentions, it involves dealing with landlords prone to different kinds of housing discrimination, so ymmv.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I feel like gfsincere is talking about this stuff:

Everything posted in /r/nosleep is real!

You are welcome. I hope whoever never read those did not have plans today.

And it's not real.

It is! :cthulhu:
Yeah, when he linked a HuffPo article featuring a UFO Correspondent I gathered.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Bushiz posted:

what is it like to live in a place so sterile you can actually rid a place of pests or where you think mammals of any kind are a pest.

Like I lived in a house with a landlord so lovely that we eventually had to seal off one of the bathrooms because it had been more or less taken over by roaches and he wouldn't do anything about it.

Tbf, rats are the worst mammal. Pretty sure they know I'm afraid of them and gently caress with me on purpose.

The city recently rolled out new rat-proof trashcans for every residence, and it honestly seems to be making a huge difference, thank god.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Goatman Sacks posted:

gently caress Buddy, Socks forever

When is the LAMESTREAM media going to start asking SERIOUS questions like what everybody's pet situation is right now? I assume Jill Stein owns an alpaca, but what about the rest of them?!

MountGeek
Apr 14, 2016

Covok posted:

Perchance the debate tomorrow won't be rigged in Trump's favor by the conservative media? But, probably not. Trump is right that the election is rigged: only by the media giving him so many easy breaks and being so unfair to his opponent would a man like him ever make it as far as he did

Yeah, the media helped him win the primary and gives him more free air time than any other candidate. He was a reality TV star so obviously he has used favors from the media to get him to where he is today. He just shoots himself in the foot every time he is given these free opportunities to address millions of people. He is his own worst enemy. I could never say that I saw a train wreck in slow motion until this election season. Even if the improbable happens and he wins this election his campaign was still a train wreck. He won’t win. He won’t win. He won’t win. Third time lucky.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Potato Salad posted:

If you need on-prem: Windows Server 2008r2 at absolute oldest, Windows Server 2012r2 if you're actually good. Exchange 2013. Use multifactor authentication. Use mobile device management controls.

Alternately, reach out to a good IT consulting firm *cough* There are benefits to having your own desktop support guys but more complex systems handled by pros who do nothing but this poo poo all day, provided they aren't hacks.

What Trump's email resembles is a broom closet nobody has touched in 15 years, seriously, no troll.

Alternately, use Office365 email and be done with on-premises email and concerns about infrastructure and maintenance forever (insert insane laughter here)

You know, like the one he spent 8 million bucks on for a website. They probably should have thrown in a new exchange server as part of the package

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

eviltastic posted:

most younger millenials dont have the cashflow necessary to save up for a down payment and also aren't really at a point of stability in their lives where a thirty year mortgage is a good idea

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

vseslav.botkin posted:

When is the LAMESTREAM media going to start asking SERIOUS questions like what everybody's pet situation is right now? I assume Jill Stein owns an alpaca, but what about the rest of them?!

Hillary has two dogs and a cat. Trump has his hair and Chris Christie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Glumslinger posted:

You know, like the one he spent 8 million bucks on for a website. They probably should have thrown in a new exchange server as part of the package

To be fair, it was for a website and ALL of his online (at the time) advertising. There was an article in the Texas Tribune about it that makes it seem slightly more reasonable than what people in these threads were saying.

• Locked thread