Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nessin posted:

Wow, I can't believe that game still exists.

Right? I actually still play it, only 3 - 5 players are ever on. I'm sure it'll shut down soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I said come in! posted:

Right? I actually still play it, only 3 - 5 players are ever on. I'm sure it'll shut down soon.

Wasn't there some sort of issue with the development? I remember looking at it a while back and I thought they had hit a pretty big roadblock.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Wasn't there some sort of issue with the development? I remember looking at it a while back and I thought they had hit a pretty big roadblock.

I'm not sure, I wouldn't be surprised. The entire game is a mess and the quality of everything is awful.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I also think it's interesting and telling that the two most fan-beloved MMOs (City of Heroes and pre-CU SWG) are the ones that failed the hardest.

To be fair, that had more to do with the management of those two titles than it did with the games themselves. If Lucas didn't look at World of Warcraft and say "Make it like that, I want to make more money" and stayed the course, the mission system would have been expanded on, and I'm sure the Legacy quest line was in development far longer than the NGE was so I'd assume they were going to turn it into a proper "sandpark" in order to ease players into the mechanics.

As for City of Heroes/Villains, obviously that would have been huge if it still existed.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Alexander DeLarge posted:

If Lucas didn't look at World of Warcraft and say "Make it like that, I want to make more money"

My understanding is that they were annoyed that the Star Wars prequels were coming to theaters and there were still no Jedi in SWG, and that making there be Jedi killed the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

My understanding is that they were annoyed that the Star Wars prequels were coming to theaters and there were still no Jedi in SWG, and that making there be Jedi killed the game.

Jedi were in the game, but it was somewhat random and not every character could be one. When they "updated" it they made it so that everyone could be a Jedi no matter what and it completely invalidated the point of the entire system.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Is Age of Conan even still a game or did it get shut down yet?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Is Age of Conan even still a game or did it get shut down yet?

Age of Conan is still going. Funcom has never shut down their MMO's, even though both AoC and Anarchy Online are long overdue. AoC is a messy game with horrible pacing and awful mechanics. It's not worth playing.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The key word there is "at launch", though. You had all these "WoW-killers" that came out that were garbage and looked awful because they didn't have a few years to work out the kinks that WoW did. It's only games that stepped away from that exact formula that really thrived, like EVE and the like.

This isn't really true though. WoW was a playable product with a clear progression and tons of content at launch. The only real issue I even remember is a "loot bug" that you got right at the first weeks of launch but other than that it was smooth sailing for most people.

At worst your quests in WoW would dry up around level 55 or something. Compare it to Age of Conan at launch where you ran out of quests in every zone and had to grind mobs to get anywhere and where every dungeon in the game was bugged and all the stats on your armor didn't actually work and there were only like 5 armor looks in the game and so many insane bugs (all female characters doing 25% less damage because of animations) and an endgame that had clearly never been playertested in any way and so on

WoW had its fair share of issues at launch but compared to most of the other games that came out it was super polished

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Wheeee posted:

The only MMO anyone needs is Project 1999.
A million times this. I have fully accepted that the golden years of Everquest will remain the best game I have ever played for the rest of my life. It's all downhill from here.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Warhammer Online would probably still exist if it had more than 2 factions and a bit more shine and polish. The core gameplay and classes were pretty fun, but the leveling got tedious and having two factions just meant that usually one faction was always steamrolling the other.
Yea I liked the setting and gameplay a lot but the content felt stretched thin across an oversized world.

Only a few good scenarios and whenever you got off your faction's beaten path there would be nothing there for you since they confined open world pvp to small rvr lakes.

E: Also I can't remember any worthwhile Elf zones or scenarios. What a garbage race.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 1, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jackard posted:

E: Also I can't remember any worthwhile Elf zones or scenarios. What a garbage race.

So like every MMO

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Zzulu posted:

This isn't really true though. WoW was a playable product with a clear progression and tons of content at launch.

Did we play the same game? Because what I remember was a game with tons of lag and crashy servers for at least a solid month and I'm also fairly sure it only launched with half of Blackrock mountain at best, and even Dire Maul came later? Honestly I didn't stick around for more than my free month after launch, I got back into it like a year down the line because yeah, at launch it was a huge pile of poo poo just like any other MMO.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Alexander DeLarge posted:

AAA MMOs are dead until further notice. It's all crowdfunding now, but that comes with the benefit of appealing to niche markets and sticking to them.

I think you mean "sticking it to them"

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

All I can recall bug wise from launch WoW (it never clicked with me and I have never played it after that first free month) was I had a hunter and I think 1 of the 3 talent trees or whatever they are called just didn't work, like it wasn't implemented or the abilities were all broken.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

All I can recall bug wise from launch WoW (it never clicked with me and I have never played it after that first free month) was I had a hunter and I think 1 of the 3 talent trees or whatever they are called just didn't work, like it wasn't implemented or the abilities were all broken.

That was like every class in the game though. They all had broken skill trees and none of them worked properly. People misremember classic WoW more then they realize.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

vanilla survival hunters *LAUGH TRACK*

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight
So where does someone who values a robust crafting/gathering system and economy go? FFXIV has a great crafting system but dungeon drops are comparably better than anything you can craft, and so there isn't a ton of inherent demand. Maybe this changes later in the game but everything I read points to a crafting system that's really only enjoyable in and of itself and doesn't necessarily drive the game more broadly. For my purposes, this is the only thing that's keeping FFXIV from being my ideal game right now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

K posted:

So where does someone who values a robust crafting/gathering system and economy go? FFXIV has a great crafting system but dungeon drops are comparably better than anything you can craft, and so there isn't a ton of inherent demand. Maybe this changes later in the game but everything I read points to a crafting system that's really only enjoyable in and of itself and doesn't necessarily drive the game more broadly. For my purposes, this is the only thing that's keeping FFXIV from being my ideal game right now.

EVE online. Otherwise crafting is always going to be a fringe benefit to whatever you pick up off the ground

E. TESO supposedly has end-game useable crafted gear as well

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You can't dye dungeon drops. Reason enough right there

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Yeah ESO has really solid crafting that's relevant at any level. Except for when you play with goons and just get a super expensive set then you can sort of not worry about it but eventually it'll be helpful to pick up the traits yourself and if you don't pick up free poo poo yeah you'll craft plenty.

Secret World also has good crafting and you'll pool stuff and eventually build something with it. Or use it up while leveling if really nothing drops for you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Secret World had an interesting crafting system but imo it was let down by needing such a massive amount of materials to make anything. Making the diagrams of these high end materials was killer

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Honestly it's fine if you just scrap all the drops you're not using because selling them won't do you much good and you still get plenty of money from other things. My bank is still full of high quality materials even though I don't play much these days and just used a ton to get my gear up to par after the currency conversion. And since then getting good gear is easier than ever, you can be decked out in endgame purpz by the time you hit Egypt if you know what you're doing and saving up appropriately. Of course you don't want to because repair costs tend to get insane once you actually die in that kind of gear but that's another story.

To answer your question yes, crafting is fine and viable.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

EVE online. Otherwise crafting is always going to be a fringe benefit to whatever you pick up off the ground

E. TESO supposedly has end-game useable crafted gear as well

EVE Online crafting is a bit wierd in that it really lacks any sort of complexity in the actual singular creation. But that it relies on both creating a ton of items and that they are easily replaced.

Degs posted:

Oh, totally agree. I gotta admit the second part applies to me, though. I always go balls deep on a new game and then bail in a month. Always looking for that "I could play this forever" but never finding it.

Convinced it'll never happen, but can't stop myself from hoping.

I'm really awful about that. The only two mmos that have stuck are wow and Eve. Warhammer Online would have also stuck if it was still around as well.

Edit: Also to OP I suggest no mmo but to instead be bitter about the landscape of mmos like everyone else.

Elmon fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 3, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hey, I don't have a lot of words about it right now but Black Desert is a much better game than I had expected.

It's pay to play with no sub and a very ignorable cash shop. Plays like a decent action game (positioning and click combos. You can assign moves to a hotbar but it increases their cooldown) and doesn't really care how you want to level up.

I played as a Witch that punches fools to death and for about two hours I just ran around gathering up mobs and slamming my sweet sausage-grabbers into their faces while dark magic shot out of my rear end. The game sought fit to award me with very good XP just for having fun.

It's Korean so you have to be prepared for information overload. However, it is safe to ignore almost all of it until you want to do a specific thing and then look it up. Change around the UI because the default is poopy diapers.

Fun game made better by having no sub.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Jedi were in the game, but it was somewhat random and not every character could be one. When they "updated" it they made it so that everyone could be a Jedi no matter what and it completely invalidated the point of the entire system.

I thought everyone could be a jedi, but your careers that you had to grind were randomized (and could be awful as hell)? I still think I preferred the holo-grind from the "throw grenades at lairs" grind..

Kiffetastic
Aug 20, 2004

Oooooh Yeeeees!

SoleilEquil posted:

I thought everyone could be a jedi, but your careers that you had to grind were randomized (and could be awful as hell)? I still think I preferred the holo-grind from the "throw grenades at lairs" grind..

This was the case, but holocrons only told you like 5 of the 6 you needed to unlock. I did the five and could not figure out what the sixth was, and gave up around profession 20 or so after not unlocking it. It was kind of a terrible system.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

mallamp posted:

Only thing worse than current WoW is re-grinding old WoW on private servers, please don't do that if you are even moderately functional human being

I still remember the horrible grind through old WoW to get to Lich King. Never again.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Unguided posted:

I still remember the horrible grind through old WoW to get to Lich King. Never again.

I think a legacy server I could do it due to the character lasting. But I don't think I can do it in a private server due to the character dissapearing after the private server shutting down at some point.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Some people hoard newspapers. Some people hoard MMO characters.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I didn't mind doing 0-80 in wrath, it wasn't really that bad. Didn't mind 0-85 in cata either.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Some people hoard newspapers. Some people hoard MMO characters.

It always amazes me when I listen in on whatever random pub guild I am in and hear people talking about leveling their 12th character to 100 in WoW. There aren't even that many classes

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've done my fair share of dude levelin', even in single player games. The thing is, once I'm done with the game I don't really give a gently caress about my save file anymore. What am I going to do, just load up my save periodically to stroll down memory lane and look at all my stuff? No, I'm going to revisit it years later and start a new dude, only to put it down again one hour later because I suddenly remembered why I stopped playing in the first place, or until my nostalgia satisfies itself. That's why I think it's strange that someone would decide not to play a game because they hypothetically might not be able to play it at some point years in the future.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I've done my fair share of dude levelin', even in single player games. The thing is, once I'm done with the game I don't really give a gently caress about my save file anymore. What am I going to do, just load up my save periodically to stroll down memory lane and look at all my stuff? No, I'm going to revisit it years later and start a new dude, only to put it down again one hour later because I suddenly remembered why I stopped playing in the first place, or until my nostalgia satisfies itself. That's why I think it's strange that someone would decide not to play a game because they hypothetically might not be able to play it at some point years in the future.

Good point, but have you considered that all people who like MMOs have broken brains

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Kiffetastic posted:

This was the case, but holocrons only told you like 5 of the 6 you needed to unlock. I did the five and could not figure out what the sixth was, and gave up around profession 20 or so after not unlocking it. It was kind of a terrible system.

The funny thing about that was the newer skills were not suppose to be part of the skill pool. When they gave all players a single holocron as a gift a handful of them had the just introduced town Politician as skill they needed to master. Keep in mind it required you to be a town mayor and people voting for you increased your relevant exp.

It was really lovely and proved they didn't have a system in until that day to become a Force user.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Kortel posted:

The funny thing about that was the newer skills were not suppose to be part of the skill pool. When they gave all players a single holocron as a gift a handful of them had the just introduced town Politician as skill they needed to master. Keep in mind it required you to be a town mayor and people voting for you increased your relevant exp.

It was really lovely and proved they didn't have a system in until that day to become a Force user.

Or they built the skills by name hash modulo skill count meaning they hosed up the system & the skills you needed changed each time the skill list changed. I believe raph koster that the system was in, it just sucked.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.worldoffishing.net/

Its a fishing MMO, you can make an aquarium with all the poo poo you catch, you have to equip gear and poo poo, there's food that gives you boosts, surprisingly addicting.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

poo poo human being gay fishing mmo makes me wanna puke yeah i've watched the trailer so what its not like i m playing it motherfucker

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

That logic applies to fun games not mmorpgs like wow where you repeat same things for hundreds of hours to brag about the result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Nurel posted:

poo poo human being gay fishing mmo makes me wanna puke yeah i've watched the trailer so what its not like i m playing it motherfucker

Watch out, if you don't respect the fishing pact DBRB will sperg out on you and get you banned from EVE and Star Citizen.

• Locked thread