Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BrandorKP posted:

Thanks that clears it up a bit, by "notes" they're meaning work calendars and emails which is a different thing than "notes" in my professional context.

Insider view:

The only people that don't have to bend over backwards for Public Records Requests are the legislature, for some reason.

The hope was that the law would change that they would have to face the exact same scrutiny as the rest of us, but they did that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

RuanGacho posted:

Insider view:

The only people that don't have to bend over backwards for Public Records Requests are the legislature, for some reason.

The hope was that the law would change that they would have to face the exact same scrutiny as the rest of us, but they did that instead.

Lol, remember when The Stranger used a FOIA request to see naked ladies that were illegally bribed and photographed by cops at the bikini coffee drive-thrus?

Edit: and then published them online without the ladies consent.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I tried Salt and Straw last time I was in Portland and was a fine, but Ube from Full Tilt will always be my first love.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Mr. Lobe posted:

If it's more important to you that 3 tech yuppies get to move into 3 townhouses on the same lot than, say, 1 Black family remains in CD where they have been for several generations, I guess that makes sense.

Personally, I do not like the idea that markets or finances should get to dictate who gets to live where, but I guess those low income people simply don't deserve what they have, now do they.

What do you think happens when those 3 techies go find somewhere else to live? 3 be other poor families get economically displaced because the techies can afford higher rents than the Poor's. So by selfishly saving one misalocation of housing goods you force 3 families out of the city.

People don't like to hear this but building places for rich people to live is how you prevent them from bidding up the prices of middle and poor peoples housing.

By definition if your rent is going up it is because someone with more money than you can't find a place to live and is willing to pay more than you for the place you currently live.

The solution to this problem is to build enough luxury housing to absorb all of the new demand from affluent people. This prevents the stomping effect from occuring which forces people out of the city, and drives up rents.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

:rolleyes:

Yes it is the fault of the single family home owner that lives in their home that rent is bad.

Yes 100% single family home owners selfishly hoard land that should be used to house more people.

It's very simple, we need more multifamily housing and most of the city is zoned so selfish fucks can have thier private homes.

All of Seattle should be up zoned to allow for 7 story residential multi family housing. gently caress selfish rich people unwilling to make room for the rest of us who can't afford million dollar homes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

KingFisher posted:

Yes 100% single family home owners selfishly hoard land that should be used to house more people.

It's very simple, we need more multifamily housing and most of the city is zoned so selfish fucks can have thier private homes.

All of Seattle should be up zoned to allow for 7 story residential multi family housing. gently caress selfish rich people unwilling to make room for the rest of us who can't afford million dollar homes.

Everywhere is not Seattle, which you would know I've already pointed out if you hadn't been so quick to rush and pour a little gas on arguments that passed by you days ago.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

DrNutt posted:

Everywhere is not Seattle, which you would know I've already pointed out if you hadn't been so quick to rush and pour a little gas on arguments that passed by you days ago.
You're going to need to accept that "home owners in ordinary real estate markets need protections from the ravages of inflation" isn't a common argument.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

twodot posted:

You're going to need to accept that "home owners in ordinary real estate markets need protections from the ravages of inflation" isn't a common argument.

It's not just homeowners in ordinary real estate markets, it's pretty much everyone stuck living under a system where cost of living steadily increases predictably year after year and wages and incomes don't.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

DrNutt posted:

It's not just homeowners in ordinary real estate markets, it's pretty much everyone stuck living under a system where cost of living steadily increases predictably year after year and wages and incomes don't.
And your solution to that is to care about the property taxes of single family home owners, why?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

twodot posted:

And your solution to that is to care about the property taxes of single family home owners, why?

I'm not going to do this with you again twodot, I've already explained my stance repeatedly.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

KingFisher posted:

It's considerably dumber and more selfish than that, actually, because it's not like an upzone forces anyone to sell to the next developer who comes around. People can keep their own homes as long as they want, but they want all their neighbors' homes to stay the same too.

So they're loving over the poor and middle class not even for their own homes, but because they can't bear the thought of another plot on their street having apartments or a duplex.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

KingFisher posted:

What do you think happens when those 3 techies go find somewhere else to live? 3 be other poor families get economically displaced because the techies can afford higher rents than the Poor's. So by selfishly saving one misalocation of housing goods you force 3 families out of the city.

People don't like to hear this but building places for rich people to live is how you prevent them from bidding up the prices of middle and poor peoples housing.

By definition if your rent is going up it is because someone with more money than you can't find a place to live and is willing to pay more than you for the place you currently live.

The solution to this problem is to build enough luxury housing to absorb all of the new demand from affluent people. This prevents the stomping effect from occuring which forces people out of the city, and drives up rents.

There is so much wrong with your post it's almost beautiful. You're saying the solution to gentrification is... more and faster gentrification? You think nobody is building homes for rich people?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Gentrification is inevitable. Suburbs are bad, correct? So people started moving back into the cities. This causes rents to rise and neighborhoods to change, etc. Gentrification. People gotta live somewhere.
Now, the negative effects of this can be mitigated by building tons of low-income housing, but you can't have your cake(suburbs are bad, move to the cities!) and eat it too(what are all these people doing in the cities, and now rent is expensive!)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

George posted:

There is so much wrong with your post it's almost beautiful. You're saying the solution to gentrification is... more and faster gentrification? You think nobody is building homes for rich people?

An assload of people are moving to Seattle every day no matter if anyone in the city likes it or not. They all have to live somewhere and if they've got more money than you your landlord would rather they lived in your apartment than you, so he will raise rents or make it a "luxury" unit or whatever. The solution is to build more housing to allow more people in the same space to have some actual competition among units. Currently landlords know if you leave they can easily replace you as a tenant. If it's all rich people moving in then yes we need even more rich people apartments to prevent lower income folks from being pushed out.

What part of this concept do you disagree with? If you think there's a better solution I'd love to hear it.

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 25, 2018

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

PokeJoe posted:

An assload of people are moving to Seattle every day no matter if anyone in the city likes it or not. They all have to live somewhere and if they've got more money than you your landlord would rather they lived in your apartment than you, so he will raise rents or make it a "luxury" unit or whatever. The solution is to build more housing to allow more people in the same space. If it's all rich people moving in then yes we need even more rich people apartments to prevent lower income folks from being pushed out.

What part of this concept do you disagree with? If you think there's a better solution I'd love to hear it.

It doesnt affect just the cities too, it's the hottest place to move in the country.

http://www.commerce.wa.gov/about-us/rulemaking/gma-laws-rules/ here's a primer to chew on.

Not targeting you specifically Joe, just feeding in.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sadly many areas of the country are not doing well economically, and wealth is concentrating even more in certain geographical regions. This being one of the richest areas in the country, of course we have a lot of high income folks coming in. The richest people on Earth live in our backyard, this region is very desirable and expensive to live in

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

spicy but true, particularly about Tillamook being better

Umpqua is just okay.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
But seriously wtf is BR and Ruby Jewel?

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

KingFisher posted:

Same, but Portland. gently caress bungalows.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
A while back seatte decided to replace a bunch of old pedestrian staircases with new ones that have uniform spacing and standard handrails.

Even that was too much for my neighbors and a few of them emailed the blockwatch email list to ask for action on our part.

I was like “i couldn’t give less of a poo poo about this but now that you’ve emailed me I will try.”

Seattle homeowners are trash.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

HEY NONG MAN posted:

But seriously wtf is BR and Ruby Jewel?

BR is Baskin & Robbins, right?

Also, I’d love to hear a good response to PokeJoe.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The Baskin Robbins in Burien (on Ambaum south of 124th) closed and reopened as a new ice cream place with the same style of signage called CREAM DREAM and it owns so hard.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

People want thier neighborhood to remain static forever. It doesn't matter how long they've lived there or where there is. Out here I heard one lady jabbering about what was "quintessentially North Bend" after saying she had moved from Bellevue in the last two years.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The Baskin Robbins in Burien (on Ambaum south of 124th) closed and reopened as a new ice cream place with the same style of signage called CREAM DREAM and it owns so hard.

Eh, most of us got over CREAM DREAMs a while ago

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Thaddius the Large posted:

Eh, most of us got over CREAM DREAMs a while ago

You can have them again, you just need to stop jerking off.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Given the number of luxury apartments that are largely sitting empty, I think maybe developers should try building something a little less expensive than $2600 for a studio.

Again, though, a vacancy tax would help things greatly.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I live in Oregon and I got a letter that my bank shipped the title to Oregon DMV. Can I just go to the DMV and get my plates printed or do I have to wait until they come in the mail?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I live in Oregon and I got a letter that my bank shipped the title to Oregon DMV. Can I just go to the DMV and get my plates printed or do I have to wait until they come in the mail?

A real punk rebel wouldn't pay to register his car.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thanatosian posted:

Given the number of luxury apartments that are largely sitting empty, I think maybe developers should try building something a little less expensive than $2600 for a studio.

Seriously, tax the poo poo out of anything that stays vacant. I'm willing to bet that if you set this tax high enough other bullshit like first/last/security/gently caress you, got mine deposits go away on their own. Though we should curtail those as well.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Seriously, tax the poo poo out of anything that stays vacant. I'm willing to bet that if you set this tax high enough other bullshit like first/last/security/gently caress you, got mine deposits go away on their own. Though we should curtail those as well.

Has there been any talk about that at all by politicians? The most we've seen so far in Seattle is that toothless low income housing tax on developers.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

poo poo's hosed, I'm just waiting for the next hammer to drop in my neighborhood. There is talk of upzoning the entirety of Eastlake in the next 6 mo. All existing residents longer than 2 years are preparing an exit strategy.

http://www.eastlakeseattle.org/?page=HALA

BlueBlazer fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 26, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Solkanar512 posted:

I don't think it's gonna be a panacea, but I think it's definitely part of a responsible housing policy going forward. Our vacancy rate should be about a tenth of what it is given our housing prices.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I think some of It's because of the way financing works for developers. There was a radio program on it, in the context of commercial real estate that I can't seem to find now. They really don't like to lower rents cause it gently caress's with thier ability to roll over the loans they use to finance the building. It was the stupidest thing, where decreasing the potential cash flow would lower what the building was worth even if it increased the actual cash flow by the filling of vacancies.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BrandorKP posted:

I think some of It's because of the way financing works for developers. There was a radio program on it, in the context of commercial real estate that I can't seem to find now. They really don't like to lower rents cause it gently caress's with thier ability to roll over the loans they use to finance the building. It was the stupidest thing, where decreasing the potential cash flow would lower what the building was worth even if it increased the actual cash flow by the filling of vacancies.

:capitalism:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

BrandorKP posted:

There are times I am glad I work in secondary residential lending and not commercial.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah this is basically my point. The housing market is such that people only build super expensive poo poo and there's far more supply than demand but we keep doing it anyway. The argument that low-income housing is scarce because we have to satisfy rich people's needs first is really hard to get behind.

I agree that the current market incentives have stuck us here, and unfortunately it's in Amazon's best interests to keep pushing housing costs up as well so Durkan can tell all the stories she wants but I know she won't do poo poo.

The incremental solution to this crisis is to force developers to contribute to the solution, but for some reason that never happens.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

George posted:

Yeah this is basically my point. The housing market is such that people only build super expensive poo poo and there's far more supply than demand but we keep doing it anyway. The argument that low-income housing is scarce because we have to satisfy rich people's needs first is really hard to get behind.

I agree that the current market incentives have stuck us here, and unfortunately it's in Amazon's best interests to keep pushing housing costs up as well so Durkan can tell all the stories she wants but I know she won't do poo poo.

The incremental solution to this crisis is to force developers to contribute to the solution, but for some reason that never happens.

We need to greatly increase the fees developers have to pay to waive the affordable housing requirement (tripling seems about right), stop letting NIMBYs shut down larger developments, and reduce parking requirements (especially closer to the downtown core).

But hey, I may as well be asking for unicorns to solve all of our problems.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

We need to greatly increase the fees developers have to pay to waive the affordable housing requirement (tripling seems about right), stop letting NIMBYs shut down larger developments, and reduce parking requirements (especially closer to the downtown core).

But hey, I may as well be asking for unicorns to solve all of our problems.

I'm not sure if we are talking Seattle or Portland but reducing the parking requirements has been terrible in Portland. This is a curry where the pour habe to drive in from fat away and making it did they have nowhere to park is cold hearted.

Also I guess I would settle for making it really expensive to waive affordable housing requirements but honestly it would habe to be enough for the city to pay to build the units that are not getting built. I think it would be better, if we are going that route, to just make it so they can't waive them at all.

In my ideal world the city/state builds a poo poo load of government housing for households making up to 120% of median income with a sliding scale for the rent based on income and some attempt to make sure that buildings don't get segregated by income level or race. Made it normal to line I a government apartment And I bet you can arrest the rise I tents.

And Portland should do away with building height restrictions and require at least one parking space per unit regardless of the number of units in the building.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

therobit posted:

I'm not sure if we are talking Seattle or Portland but reducing the parking requirements has been terrible in Portland. This is a curry where the pour habe to drive in from fat away and making it did they have nowhere to park is cold hearted.

Also I guess I would settle for making it really expensive to waive affordable housing requirements but honestly it would habe to be enough for the city to pay to build the units that are not getting built. I think it would be better, if we are going that route, to just make it so they can't waive them at all.

In my ideal world the city/state builds a poo poo load of government housing for households making up to 120% of median income with a sliding scale for the rent based on income and some attempt to make sure that buildings don't get segregated by income level or race. Made it normal to line I a government apartment And I bet you can arrest the rise I tents.

And Portland should do away with building height restrictions and require at least one parking space per unit regardless of the number of units in the building.

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2017/11/20/we-forbid-what-we-value-most

quote:

Like most cities in America, Pocatello’s city code sets minimum parking requirements for all types of new development, and the reality is that these parking minimums forbid anyone from ever building a neighborhood that looks remotely like Old Town anywhere in Pocatello.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

George posted:

The argument that low-income housing is scarce because we have to satisfy rich people's needs first is really hard to get behind.

I agree 100% in principle but housing is a commodity, and rich people always get theirs first when it comes to scarce goods. Developers are going to do whatever makes them the most money, so you essentially have to tax them so much that it becomes unprofitable to only cater to the rich. Or give them enough tax breaks that they make more money with low income units. A vacancy tax sounds like it could help alleviate some of this catering only to the rich. Or in a dream world, we could just build public housing. :(