Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I almost finished reading the KoW2 rules last night and they're pretty great, simple, and strategic. I was all prepared to ask if a unit gets 'disordered' if it takes a wound but kills its enemy in close combat, then I realized only the current player fights during his turn - so that couldn't happen. Super cool that this has been designed for fast play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Captain Invictus posted:

Those lizard dudes look so loving psyched to be there

They escaped from warhammer to a better game.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NTRabbit posted:

The Hill Giants from Bones 2 both fit on a 50mm base, source = me. The Weapons overhang, but that's not an issue, at least not to me

Those are 50x50 movement trays as bases.

Gonna put dragons on 50x100 most likely, which is what you can put monsters on if they don't fit on a 50x50

vv That too

edit: I am an idiot.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is the new rules PDF out yet?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Seldom Posts posted:

edit: I am an idiot.

Ok :confuoot:

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Sure am enjoying some of the eBay fire sales on GW High Elves. $10 shipped for 20 models? Yes, please.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Most of the Forces of Nature look boring and trite to me but I love the Salamanders and Naiads.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Most of the Forces of Nature look boring and trite to me but I love the Salamanders and Naiads.

It kind of lost some flavour when Gnomes were canned, because until then it was leaning towards being able to make your entire army, or the core of it, based on one element. Water (Naiads), Earth (Gnomes), Fire (Salamander) and Sylvan Kin became Water (Naiads, Naiad Harpooners), Fire (Salamanders), and Sylvan Kin. Only the large infantry elementals cover the four now.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

muggins posted:

I almost finished reading the KoW2 rules last night and they're pretty great, simple, and strategic. I was all prepared to ask if a unit gets 'disordered' if it takes a wound but kills its enemy in close combat, then I realized only the current player fights during his turn - so that couldn't happen. Super cool that this has been designed for fast play

Seriously, it shows so much that they had a very specific idea of how everything should work. It feels like one efficient system, not like other games which feels like a frankenstein of other rulesets.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

NTRabbit posted:

It kind of lost some flavour when Gnomes were canned, because until then it was leaning towards being able to make your entire army, or the core of it, based on one element. Water (Naiads), Earth (Gnomes), Fire (Salamander) and Sylvan Kin became Water (Naiads, Naiad Harpooners), Fire (Salamanders), and Sylvan Kin. Only the large infantry elementals cover the four now.

poo poo, they lost Gnomes? I just heard about them yesterday and I was already searching for minis.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Dregs posted:

poo poo, they lost Gnomes? I just heard about them yesterday and I was already searching for minis.

Gnomes/Halflings are getting their own army now.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Oh. Well thats loving awesome. Where can I get more info?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Is Mantic gonna make minis for them? :monocle:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They're the League of Rhodia in the warhammer army lists PDF.

I think the idea is that they'd like to make models for them at some point, but won't be able to anytime soon.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
edit. Nevermind, pdfs not loading correctly for me.

Recursive Expanse fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 10, 2015

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

NTRabbit posted:

The Hill Giants from Bones 2 both fit on a 50mm base, source = me. The Weapons overhang, but that's not an issue, at least not to me

Those are 50x50 movement trays as bases.

Gonna put dragons on 50x100 most likely, which is what you can put monsters on if they don't fit on a 50x50

These are the exact figures Im thinking of as well.

Do we have any idea when 2nd ed pdf is going to drop?

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Any time now.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They arrive!

http://www.manticgames.com/free-rules.html

Wait, nevermind, thats the old poo poo. The twitter lies! Ok, nevermind it IS the 2nd edition rules, it just doesn't clearly label them as such.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 10, 2015

enrious
Jan 22, 2015
Refresh, it's legit now.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

This is curious - apparently the free army lists are now only a selection of the full army lists? I thought the whole thing would be available? I mean, I and my brother got in on the KS, but it does make it a harder pill to swallow for the people I recommended it to.

Also why is the mini-rulebook 10 pounds (~15 bucks) but 25 bucks :raise:

Germ
May 7, 2013

Huh. Is the elf book missing stuff? Seems like the light cavalry and a lot of the dryads and treemen are missing from what was in the army previously. What am I missing?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Germ posted:

Huh. Is the elf book missing stuff? Seems like the light cavalry and a lot of the dryads and treemen are missing from what was in the army previously. What am I missing?

They say on the main link page that the army lists available for free are only a large extract and that you have to get the physical book or something for the remainder.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
That kinda sucks

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Huh. I thought the free rules were supposed to be part of the draw. That's kinda crap. Ah, well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pyrolocutus posted:

They say on the main link page that the army lists available for free are only a large extract and that you have to get the physical book or something for the remainder.

Well that is pretty lame given the free army lists were full and complete in 1st edition. :(

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

i imagine the free rules are enough to functionally play it and then decide if you want to buy the book, because otherwise that's almost GW levels of dumb

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Still feels a bit unsporting, given the way it's been advertised.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I agree.

E: To confirm, they definitely aren't the full lists. The rulebook is also missing the scenarios and magic artefacts.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
:smith:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

probably not a good idea to pull a fast one if you're trying to cater specifically to a group of customers who are actively choosing your product over another one because they're tired of the previous company loving with them

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Daedleh posted:

I agree.

E: To confirm, they definitely aren't the full lists. The rulebook is also missing the scenarios and magic artefacts.

drat. This has been a frustrating week for fantasy army players

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.
So wait. Even if you do want to pay for the full rules, there's no PDF version, so you have to wait until they're available and then buy a physical copy? Or order one and wait for it to be delivered? So after announcing the launch of the rules for today, the full rules actually won't be available to anyone for another month or so (or whenever the book is available)?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Turns out Mantic is run by ex GW staff.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, what the hell? This is a massive bait and switch.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I get that they have to make their money somehow if they're allowing you to use competitors' minis and are putting out free rules, but this does feel pretty scummy. Why couldn't they have been upfront about it from the beginning? I wouldn't have cared.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

spacegoat posted:

I get that they have to make their money somehow if they're allowing you to use competitors' minis and are putting out free rules, but this does feel pretty scummy. Why couldn't they have been upfront about it from the beginning? I wouldn't have cared.

better yet: just release free rules and if people already have full armies, they'll probably buy your rulebook anyways just so they have a nice copy of it and want to support your company (which were my plans)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
None of the new units for KoM are in the force list either... I can't really say I expected this behavior from Mantic.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Yeah it doesn't poison me against Mantic personally but they absolutely put a foot wrong here.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

This is curious - apparently the free army lists are now only a selection of the full army lists? I thought the whole thing would be available? I mean, I and my brother got in on the KS, but it does make it a harder pill to swallow for the people I recommended it to.

Also why is the mini-rulebook 10 pounds (~15 bucks) but 25 bucks :raise:

10 pounds is $23.25, so $25 is pretty accurate.

I just received an email from Mantic that they are putting out the full rulebook in PDF at some point, but they don't have an ETA.

Daedleh posted:

I agree.

Did the 1st edition free rules contain the scenarios or artifacts? I thought they were scaled down as well.

EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong - the 1st edition included at least some of that stuff, though the armies were pretty limited in the core rules anyway.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

JerryLee posted:

Yeah it doesn't poison me against Mantic personally but they absolutely put a foot wrong here.

I'd go a bit farther than that. If this doesn't get fixed, I might boycott Mantic entirely.