Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Schwack posted:

Based on following DSA Twitter, this is exactly why I have no interest in participating in the organization.

I dont know if I want some Maoist nerd lecturing me about rules of order and debate or some poo poo.

As much as I like to laugh at DSA meetings, there genuinely are some cool people doing good work there. Also, there are excellent baked goods! And way more importantly, Twitter DSA =/= IRL DSA, there’s no accounting for that internet nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Schwack posted:

Based on following DSA Twitter, this is exactly why I have no interest in participating in the organization.

I dont know if I want some Maoist nerd lecturing me about rules of order and debate or some poo poo.
Really, any movement attempting to shift the Overton window to the left even the slightest bit is doing good, and there are a lot of good DSA initiatives. On the other hand, if you want a reason to not participate in the DSA, there's a dearth of incredibly breathtaking examples, even outside of social media, such as the one reposted in here a few pages back.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Also, there are excellent baked goods!

why thank you :shobon:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Just join the IWW lads

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Schwack posted:

You better update that av, man.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

whomupclicklike posted:

Just join the IWW lads

i was going to rent an office space at the local IWW building but couldn't afford it

now PDX DSA rents it :twisted:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

whomupclicklike posted:

Just join the IWW lads

I ran into the ITF checking up on conditions of Filipino seafarers yesterday. I was impressed.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Schwack posted:

Not sure what Maoist would associate with the left wing of the Democratic Party

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah. I used to canvass for the city and the minorities tended to appear close to the city limits. Especially in the Northeast. But yeah I am at the the limit of Portland that borders Beaverton and it's surprising how many Latinos are around here relative to the other parts of the city.

That said, if you believe the worst of housing is over,what do you make of that article I posted that Portland CoL is predicted by a place to increase the most of any American city in 2018?

Granted, I suspect that rapid increases in COL may be from a statistical overhang from very high rent increases from previous years, for example, stores keep on having to raise prices from leases they signed in 2016/2017. Also, we will have to see at the end of 2018 what the numbers actually look like.

Basically, I do get a sense the housing market has cooled, but I wouldn't be surprised it the cost of living keeps on going up for a while. Also, the hoard of new (and honestly pretty ugly) apartment buildings in the SE might be a factor (although I don't know who is suppose to be renting them considering how many people are in service industry jobs.)

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I see. So these types of things are noticed a year or two after the fact.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

I see. So these types of things are noticed a year or two after the fact.

More or less, there is a lag between the rent increases and their ultimate full impact on the rest of the local economy. That said, while I think the housing market is cooling because of imbalance between prices and demand, it is going to be a while before the cost of living becomes more stable. Also, I have to say that wages might be a factor, in a relative sense they are going up even if Portland remains effectively unaffordable.

Of course, the issue is that I think Portland is still getting more unaffordable and the only thing that would actually slow or halt the increasing cost of living is a recession. That said, I think a future recession is going to be tough on Portland because so much of the economy is dependent on consumer spending, hospitality, and construction...all of which is going to be hit hard by a cyclical downturn.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 20, 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
What shits me is when the loving apartment management company sends a letter saying "due to ~rising costs~ we have to raise your rent" like motherfucker just tell it straight and say "yeah we know we can squeeze you for more money, deal w/ it."

12% increase in rent is still fuckin' annoying though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Ardennes posted:

Of course, the issue is that I think Portland is still getting more unaffordable and the only thing that would actually slow or halt the increasing cost of living is a recession.
That or FULL VIENNA-ISM NOW.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cicero posted:

That or FULL VIENNA-ISM NOW.

Seriously.

Or just socialize the entire housing process.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What shits me is when the loving apartment management company sends a letter saying "due to ~rising costs~ we have to raise your rent" like motherfucker just tell it straight and say "yeah we know we can squeeze you for more money, deal w/ it."

12% increase in rent is still fuckin' annoying though.

yeah i hate that language, i mean there probably are rising costs for poo poo if they're paying portions of wsg, but an extra 100 a month translates into 1200 a year and your poo poo isn't being raised by that much. neither are wages most years

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

What about rent controls?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Technically i guess there's rising property tax....

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Chomskyan posted:

What about rent controls?

IIRC rent control literally never works unless the housing is owned or at least substantially subsidized by the government. It makes things worse otherwise.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

punk rebel ecks posted:

IIRC rent control literally never works unless the housing is owned or at least substantially subsidized by the government. It makes things worse otherwise.
"worse"

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Rent control can't possibly be worse than what we're doing now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Rent control tends to be fantastic for existing renters, but a very bad for new people looking for rooms as the savings of existing renters is fully burdened to them.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

Rent control tends to be fantastic for existing renters, but a very bad for new people looking for rooms as the savings of existing renters is fully burdened to them.

Yeah. Subsidized public housing and building denser is the only real way to slow rent increases.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Peachfart posted:

Yeah. Subsidized public housing and building denser is the only real way to slow rent increases.

That's probably the most politically feasible way yeah. Rent control is a half measure at best and doesn't address a multitude of factors.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Peachfart posted:

I agree with you but it seems like this argument happens in this thread monthly and it will end with the communists proclaiming that it is private ownership of property that is the problem and everyone else giving up because they recognize that there are very few shared principles to work from.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

punk rebel ecks posted:

1) What?
2) How is this "worse" than no rent control?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think that the actual solution probably includes rent control, subsidized housing, giving more rights to tenants and just plain getting rid of the idea that rich people get to take advantage of poorer people by purchasing extra homes than they need then renting them out to people who need somewhere to live because being homeless sucks.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

therobit posted:

I agree with you but it seems like this argument happens in this thread monthly and it will end with the communists proclaiming that it is private ownership of property that is the problem and everyone else giving up because they recognize that there are very few shared principles to work from.

give me your loving toothbrush

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

1) What?

Rent control benefits people who luck into rent-controlled apartments, and then don't move; there's no means-testing or anything (in fact, it's probably helping wealthier tenants more than poor tenants), it strongly discourages people from moving even when they should (like when they get a job further away), and it means that landlords have to build future rent increases into their rent, with the knowledge that the amount they're able to increase that rent will have no relationship to the market. So, current renters get their cheap, locked-in rent, while rents go up considerably on people moving into new places.

I think landlords should have to give 60 days' notice for any rent increase, and 90 days' notice if it's higher than 7%. We need vacancy taxes, and taxes on non-owner occupied properties (at least in areas like Seattle and Portland) to discourage speculation and leaving places vacant in hopes of getting higher rents. And we need development of mixed-use housing; in Seattle, HALA had a good start with doing away with single-family zoned neighborhoods; town homes, rowhouses, and mother-in-law units can all be built without "disrupting neighborhood character." Lawns are an abomination.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

1) What?

Because 'gently caress you, got mine' is bad when any segment of the population does it.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
i'm over here smashing the gently caress out of the vacancy tax button but it doesn't seem to be working

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanatosian posted:

Rent control benefits people who luck into rent-controlled apartments, and then don't move; there's no means-testing or anything (in fact, it's probably helping wealthier tenants more than poor tenants), it strongly discourages people from moving even when they should (like when they get a job further away), and it means that landlords have to build future rent increases into their rent, with the knowledge that the amount they're able to increase that rent will have no relationship to the market. So, current renters get their cheap, locked-in rent, while rents go up considerably on people moving into new places.

I think landlords should have to give 60 days' notice for any rent increase, and 90 days' notice if it's higher than 7%. We need vacancy taxes, and taxes on non-owner occupied properties (at least in areas like Seattle and Portland) to discourage speculation and leaving places vacant in hopes of getting higher rents. And we need development of mixed-use housing; in Seattle, HALA had a good start with doing away with single-family zoned neighborhoods; town homes, rowhouses, and mother-in-law units can all be built without "disrupting neighborhood character." Lawns are an abomination.
Oh, well, yeah, of course things like "only x% of units can be allotted for working class paychecks" is a bad idea. Generally speaking, center-right "incremental" changes are largely considered to be bad ideas. Capping it at y% of the average monthly wage would be a good start, z% of the tenant's wages would be even better, and joint ownership of property would be ideal.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

Oh, well, yeah, of course things like "only x% of units can be allotted for working class paychecks" is a bad idea. Generally speaking, center-right "incremental" changes are largely considered to be bad ideas. Capping it at y% of the average monthly wage would be a good start, z% of the tenant's wages would be even better, and joint ownership of property would be ideal.

therobit posted:

hmmm

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Peachfart posted:

Because 'gently caress you, got mine' is bad when any segment of the population does it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

anthonypants posted:

1) What?

Because rent prices for anyone looking for an apartment go up substantially more due to landlords making up the lost profit. This has been displayed over and over again.

Thanatosian posted:

Peachfart posted:

Exactly. Rent control isn't necessarily bad in and of itself, but it isn't something that should be used on its own nor should it be the main focus.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

punk rebel ecks posted:

punk rebel ecks posted:

Rent control isn't necessarily bad in and of itself, but it isn't something that should be used on its own nor should it be the main focus.
Weird, I wonder why this argument always seems to go in circles.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

anthonypants posted:

Weird, I wonder why this argument always seems to go in circles.

Your acting as if I have a history of frequently posting in this thread, or if I said something controversial on the topic, instead of just agreeing what the others have said.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

punk rebel ecks posted:

Your acting as if I have a history of frequently posting in this thread, or if I said something controversial on the topic, instead of just agreeing what the others have said.

It is his specialty.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

It is his specialty.
I only wish the ability to spot contradictions were as commonplace as the ability for someone to feign confusion and innocence when confronted with their own contradictions. Truly, it is both a blessing, and a curse.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Peachfart posted:

It is his specialty.

I suspected that it was his "gimmick".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

punk rebel ecks posted:

I suspected that it was his "gimmick".
If you can't tell the difference between Portland, Oregon and Portland, Maine, what makes you qualified to determine what is and what isn't a "gimmick"?