Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
You can now buy the next NJPW iPPV ticket from their ustream site, over here.

Regarding additional matches: TimeSplitters won the Jr. Tag Tournament, so they should be challenging Romero & Koslov. Also, Devitt vs Low Ki is also a given..

Looking at the card, it seems it's mostly a rehash of the previous PPV with few exceptions. Here's to hoping that Anderson wins the IC from Shinskay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
You might have already heard about it, but Akiyama, Shiozaki, Kanemaru and Aoki have officially decided to leave NOAH. Last matches will be on 23rd and 24th of this month. Taue has stated, that they're welcome to participate in NOAH as freelancers.

Considering the situation NOAH has been in, this might be just one more nail on the coffin. Akiyama seems to be the biggest loss here, being one of the bigger names in the promotion. Shiozaki is a bit of a loss, but I don't think he'll do well in other promotions due to his age and relative blandness. Aoki and Kanemaru might be indie darlings in the future, we'll have to see.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 21, 2012

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Illinois Smith posted:

Possible blandness aside (I disagree), how is being a 30-year old heavyweight in Japan right now a bad thing?

Oversaturation. Go isn't the only 30-year old in Japan and due to not being in his native promotion anymore, I doubt he'll get any other spots than the occasional "special attraction freelancer". Always push the own guys, then the freelancers.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Flameingblack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbJex8t34K8

Some guy from /wooo/ is going to start translating Puro stuff. Mostly packages. Still won't help you understand a goddamn thing happening in DDT.

That someone would be me. Hey there.

I'm basically doing these vids to help especially new fans and aim to do the promo packages for current events and some old school favorites. I'm also tagging with HustleFightingOpera of Youtube fame to do some selected moments from HUSTLE.

Hell, maybe we'll do a full show if we're lucky.

And yes, I'm working on the Nakamura-opening-booster-packs-vid. That man just has an interesting way to say things, so I'm constantly rechecking my translations and fixing them.

Hope you like my work and continue to support it. It's you for whom I do this.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Long time FMW scholar Bahu released the translation of Shoichi Arai's book about FMW. You can read it here: http://fmwwrestling.us/FMWChapter1.html

It's actually a pretty quick read and has good information on the workings and financial aspects of running a promotion in Japan.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Thauros posted:

I don't really follow them, but I'm surprised they draw that badly considering they have some genuine talent and are the biggest deathmatch fed left.

It's their 20th anniversary show, so that'll be a draw.

Also, they could FINALLY do a rematch of Ito vs Kasai. That'll draw quite a few people as it's one of their main money matchups and their previous encounter received match of the year from Tokyo Sports back in 2009.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Thauros posted:

Have they even ran Sumo Hall before? I know they usually can't even fill Korakuen.

They have.

The last two shows had 5800 and 4800 attendees. Guess W-1 has some good sponsors to keep them running like that. It should be noted that the upcoming show is promoted as a Mutoh anniversary show.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Maybach Taniguchi, Takeshi Morishima, Hajime Ohara and KenOh play tennis at Ariake Colosseum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4gZL_vL758

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Flameingblack posted:

That's her. The last I remember two different parties in Mexico were claiming responsibility for planting the drugs, and it was over bookings.

Yeah, she and Nosawa Rongai were caught at the airport with weed stashed in paintings a fan had made of the two them. The two of them claimed not knowing that it was there. Not only was this a huge discredit to both of them, it was also put out that Nosawa and Io had a relationship and lived together. It was later brought out that El Blazer (yeah, really) a.k.a. Takuya Sugi planted the weed because a promoter in Mexico was upset about Nosawa over bookings.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
DDT announced earlier this week that the opponent for Super Sasadango Machine will be..

Kazushi Sakuraba.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't know what a Super Sasadango Machine is, but it's DDT so that will likely be entertaining.

It's former DDT Superstar Muscle Sakai under a mask. He left to run his family company and did some wrestling on the side as Super Sasadango Machine. After a while, Takagi started hauling him back to DDT.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

mariooncrack posted:

Is BJW still around? Their 15th anniversary tribute video popped up on my recommended videos to watch and I'm pretty sure that this year is their 20th anniversary.

They're really trying to build new stars and shift their focus to their Strong BJ blocks. All of the deathmatch wrestlers that have become stars have been from outside BJW.

They're running Ryogoku this year for their 20th anniversary.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Shiori Asahi is my favorite J-Indy wrestler and I'm happy that his DDT gimmick is over with the crowd.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
More info about the show harperdc mentioned and the subculture behind it: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2015/02/19/lifestyle/student-wrestlers-learn-ropes-ahead-university-battle-royale/

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

mariooncrack posted:

Are there any FMW stars still around? I'm assuming Onita still does the occasional show.

Oya does the Hokkaido circuit, Mammoth Sasaki wrestles for FREEDOMS, Kanemura and Kuroda still run Apache Army to less than 150 people and Gannosuke did a return to the ring.

EDIT: Ricky Fuji does matches for K-DOJO besides his dayjob as a gym owner.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 7, 2015

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Flameingblack posted:

How about that redebut of FMW?

One match and the announcement that W*ING is coming back too

I hope they meant the W*ING stable and not the promotion.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Sanshiro Takagi, the founder and president of DDT, was just signed to Wrestle-1 to act as their CEO. He was hired to turn the company around.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
He works both positions simultaneously. He tweeted that he works the mornings at W-1, afternoons and evenings at DDT

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Rodney the Piper posted:

What's the pro wrestling scene in Okinawa like? Is Ryukyu Dragon Pro any good? How often do the major promotions go?

Ryukyu Dragon Pro is your normal local indy. Loads of local talent, indie wayfarers staying there for longer stints and the occasional big name for a larger show. If you're in the area around the 15th, you'd get to see Jun Kasai, Takashi Sasaki and Minoru Suzuki appear on their huge card. They also put out their show info in English and accept US Dollars for ticket sales.

If you like watching indy wrestling, go and see their shows.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Anyone here well-versed in the 1990s-2000s Japanese Indie scene? I need some help on a project.

I know a thing or two. What do you need?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Nippon TV will be broadcasting a retirement ceremony for Hayabusa on the afternoon of 23rd as part of it's 24 hour television special. The info came from Pro-Wrestling Freedoms tweeting that Mammoth Sasaki will be appearing during the ceremony.

No clue if this will be a definite retirement, but at least he'll get to tell his story to the Japanese public..

edit: Pro-Wrestling Freedoms removed the tweet in question.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 21, 2015

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

He was like a less botchy Sabu. Lots of fun to watch, and an absolute whirlwind of activity.

One of the reasons the fans loved him was his humility and pure love for his company. He was a really hot topic in the 90s and major feds were waiting for him to jump. He turned them all down since he wanted to be loyal to FMW. He did, however, do tours for AJPW during the time when Baba didn't want to use outsiders and thus formed lifelong ties with Misawa and Kobashi.

He was also an inspiration to many young people who ended up becoming wrestlers, like HARASHIMA, Ibushi and Milano Collection AT (who was under Hayabusa's wing for the brief period Milano was in the FMW dojo).

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Panama Red posted:

Couple of puro-related questions:

1) How is Zero 1 still in business? They were something of a joke a decade ago but they still seem to be plugging along.

They do a lot of subcontractong work whenever a wrestling company is needed. The parent company has strong ties to different industries and promotions, so they are very much involved in anything wrestling related, for example when a commercial needs wrestlers/a ring.

They also help Onita run his Fireworks shows which seem to turn a good profit.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Ditch posted:

-He runs a Z-league indy

-He did a short-ish parody version of The Wrestler that involved lots of farting

-He faced Kikuchi in a Bread Eating Deathmatch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OVBioPdBAw

-I get a strong Survival Tobita vibe in that the idea of him is much better than actually having to watch him wrestle, but then I haven't watched him in about 2 years

He's employed for life in DDT as he is in charge of their merch.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Definitely going to make my best effort into attending any tribute show they will put on.

All companies across Japan will definitely have a memorial opening for him as is custom. However, a proper tribute show can be expected to be put on by multiple promotions. A NJPW-Dragon Gate-FMW alumni type of show of sorts.

oatgan posted:

new japan is doing a super j cup this year...

That one will definitely have some sort of Hayabusa memorial theme in it.

Asteroid Alert fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 4, 2016

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

mariooncrack posted:

Do you have a translated version?

I posted this when it happened last year but I don't know if everyone saw it. It's really emotional for anyone who was a Hayabusa fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edTwRh7DLnA

This was always one of my favorite ECW matches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAhspD5QG5k

Not him, but here's what he wrote:

"Huh..? Haya.. busa.."

"Never had a chance to wrestle him, but he was the same age as me. Everytime we ran into each other, he'd say 'let's go out for drinks next time we have the chance' which we never ended up doing. UWF and FMW. The styles were different, but we fought during the same time period. See you.. later.."

"Life.. You just can't know when something happens. I'm not special. I don't know that much. But i want to go as far as I can go on the road of pro wrestling. These are my honest feelings at this time"

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

mariooncrack posted:

Did this press conference happen?

Onita announced that the main reason for the FMW revival was to have a ring for Hayabusa to return to. Their plans were to have a Kawasaki Stadium show in May 5th 2017 headlined by the return of Hayabusa.

With the death of Hayabusa, Onita announced that the future of the FMW revival promotion is in jeopardy and he will be having discussions with everyone involved about the future of the promotion.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

harperdc posted:

Not Kawasaki Stadium, it was renovated and downsized to ~4,000 seats total in 2002 or 03 according to Wikipedia. There's another 20,000+ seat stadium in Kawasaki if they were set on that, but yeah, doubtful FMW is pulling anywhere close to that in 2016.

I guess the plan was to run the parking lot area where the original FMW ran their 2001 Kawasaki show and the succeeding WEW/Fuyuki Army had shows.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

coconono posted:

was that the same parking lot BJW decided to have Zandig wrestle in a burning ring? If you haven't seen the match, its an impressive feat of stupidity.

Ah, no. That was a smaller area next to the Akihabara station. If I understand correctly, that space is currently occupied by the Yodobashi Camera Megastore.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The announced attendance for the show was 6,938 and they were having the most seats ever at Ryogoku. Ouch.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Spermgod posted:

I wish someone would do a history of Japanese indie wrestling. So much interesting stuff there. The big two plus the UWF had a virtual monopoly on men's talent so guys like Onita and Hamada had to resort to a weird hodgepodge of karate guys, luchadors, women and guys who flunked out of the big two's dojo system like Ultimo Dragon and Tarzan Goto. Somehow out of that FMW was able to sell out domes with no TV for a couple of years.

Just like in Mexico, before PPVs and widespread tv-coverage, wrestling was promoted through magazines. Having a product like FMW produced good buzz since you had flashy explosions showing you a new style of wrestling. This made fans want to get the tapes (commercial tapes were your way of seeing shows and FMW had a good distributor) which in turn gave you an idea what the product was. FMW also toured smaller venues where the big promotions wouldn't run.

The reason why Kawasaki was succesful was because of Onita being the working class hero. All those shows had him face someone bigger than him (Funk,Tenryu,Retirement). Cheap ticket prices and a big headline match drew crowds.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
SUSHI is the former Akira Raijin of TNA Kiyoshi fame.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

ayn rand hand job posted:

the wwe global cruiserweight tourney

The Gathering and the WWE tourney are extremely likely to happen. The dude was smart in putting up his own booking office, since everyone is willing to dish out the cash for him.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Shameless promotion aside, inspired by this thread, I'm currently working on a chronological flow chart of all major (and not so major) Puroresu promotions. include Bahu's FMW webpage, Japanese Wikipedia and countless back issues of Weekly Pro-Wrestling. Coming sometime. Maybe.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Great for Sekimoto.

I still wonder how AJPW is still in business, I guess sold shows are the norm?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Spermgod posted:

Since I'm posting about AJPW...

The big matches for the 5/25 Korakuen show are out

-. Shuji Ishikawa & Ryouji Sai vs. Naoya Nomura & Hikaru Sato
-. Kengo Mashimo vs. Jake Lee
-. Axe Bombers vs. AJ Rangers: Takao Omori, Isami Kodaka , Yuko Miyamoto & Kazuhiro Tamura vs. AJ Ranger White, AJ Ranger Red, AJ Ranger Blue & AJ Ranger Green
-. Special Singles Match: Zeus vs. Yuji Okabayashi
-. Triple Crown: Kento Miyahara (c) vs. Daisuke Sekimoto

will Jun Akiyama dressing up as a Power Ranger be enough to do their first Korakuen sellout in forever?

I hope the BJW faithfuls come in full force to make the show a success.

The Japanese fans have a soccer team mentality, where they go to support their own guys in other promotions shows. Some memorable shows include NJPW vs Z-1 Korakuen show from 2010 where there was a huge NJ contigent having chant battles with Z1 guys and Akiyama's 2011 Champion Carnival run where NOAH faithful came out in full force to support his conquest.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Whatever happened to Taiyo Kea?

He returned to Hawaii, wrestled in Wrestle-1 as a freelancer, returned back to All Japan and now appears sporadically for Akebonos promotion.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
It's a long running gag in the FAQ sections in the information pages of their larger shows. "Will the Steiners appear?" "no" modified to fit the location and the event, this one refering to the NXT show.

Knowing DDT this joke has some really obscure origin.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

When I first started reading about and watching Puro, Tenryu seemed to be a guy everyone liked a lot, yet he always seemed to get brought up less than people like Misawa, Kawada, and Kobashi. Maybe because his prime wasn't coinciding with the internet developing Puro discussion communities. Maybe because in the 90's people focused less on smaller Japanese companies. Not sure, but it's kinda unfortunate.

Tenryu did have this special guest star role in the 90s after SWS collapsed and he started WAR. He did do a couple of good runs in NJPW (which was outshadowed by 90s AJPW, I assume) and also helped UWFi make a little money before folding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Spermgod posted:

i didn't include NJPW, DG or DDT since they mostly sell out every time and also the latter two's numbers are inflated anyway (i'm not entirely sure about either of those assertions in DDT's case, maybe i should include them). ZERO1 would be the other logical one but their numbers are hard to come by and i'm not sure how real they are anyway.

DDT sometimes reports their numbers with joke numbers. The shows draw well, though.