Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

TrixRabbi posted:

It's seems like such a superfluous thing to complain about, but I despise the StudioCanal bumper on older films. It's hideous and obnoxious and completely clashes with the tone of the movies they stick it in front of.

HUNH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Ratedargh posted:

I think it's less to do with running out of steam and more to do with not wanting to release something for the sake of releasing it. Which is preferable.

I mean, if streams are up and Eclipse sales are way down then that would make business sense, although initially I thought it was part of the conscious change in approach that has them licensing big studio films to give them the deluxe treatment.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

On that note I wonder how the Fassbinder set has sold. Back before Blu-Ray (let alone what led to combo packs) and the rise of streaming it used to be a huge deal when Criterion provided a much-needed upgrade to a lovely Fox Lorber transfer, but now the baseline expectation for a customer base that's nearly 2/3 Blu-Ray, the baseline expectation for an upgrade has shifted to, say, the Demy box.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

I hope Criterion (or, you know, anyone more legitimate than Alpha Video) releases Cockfighter.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Anyone else a B&N member and noticing that your discount isn't being applied to orders online? It should be 60%, to my knowledge the extra 10% applies to all sale merchandise, but I'm only getting 50% off.

Slate Action posted:

The 10% membership discount only applies to in-store purchases, doesn't it? Online purchases don't get the discount.

Also, for what it's worth, the combined in-store discount is actually 55% off, because you pay 90% of 50%.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

If [3 Silent Classics by Josef Von Sternberg] is at your B&N, you should snatch it up and resale, regardless. There isn't one that has it in stock within 100 miles of me, and it is not offered for sale at B&N's website.

Relatedly, I actually was able to order the OOP Paul Robeson box from bn.com. Granted, you can still get it cheaper used, but....

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Dr.Caligari posted:

Are there other Criterion releases that feature old-time radio counterparts? I love OTR and think this is an awesome bonus

A whole bunch:

kaujot posted:

I believe 12 Angry Men has the radio version included. Also maybe Mr. Arkadin?

12 Angry Men has the television version but not a radio adaptation.

Mr. Arkadin: Three half-hour episodes of the radio program The Lives of Harry Lime, upon which the film is based, and an interview with producer Harry Alan Towers

leokitty posted:

There's a bunch but the other one I know off the top of my head is My Man Godfrey.

My Man Godfrey: The complete 1938 broadcast of the Lux Radio Theater adaptation, starring Powell and Lombard

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The Third Man had an episode of a radio play spinoff on the disc I believe.

The Third Man: the 1951 “A Ticket to Tangiers” episode of The Lives of Harry Lime series, written and performed by Orson Welles; and the 1951 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of The Third Man

Daveski posted:

The Uninvited has two different radio adaptations on the disc

The Uninvited: Two radio adaptations, from 1944 and 1949, both starring Ray Milland

TrixRabbi posted:

The Lady Eve does. And it stars Barbara Stanwyck along with Ray Milland in Fonda's role.

The Lady Eve: The 1942 broadcast of the Lux Radio Theatre adaptation, performed by Barbara Stanwyck and Ray Milland

and then these:

The 39 Steps: Complete broadcast of the 1937 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation, starring Ida Lupino and Robert Montgomery

Spellbound (OOP): Complete 1948 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation starring Joseph Cotten and Alida Valli

Rebecca (OOP): 1938 Orson Welles and the Mercury Theatre broadcast, including an interview with Daphne du Maurier; 1941 Lux Radio Theatre broadcast starring Ronald Colman and Ida Lupino, including an interview with David O. Selznick; 1950 Lux Radio Theatre broadcast starring Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh

Notorious (OOP): Complete broadcast of the 1948 Lux Radio Theatre adaptation, starring Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotten

Foreign Correspondent: Radio adaptation of the film from 1946, starring Joseph Cotten

To Be or Not to Be: Two episodes of The Screen Guild Theater, a radio anthology series: Variety (1940), starring Jack Benny, Claudette Colbert, and Lubitsch, and To Be or Not to Be (1942), an adaptation of the film, starring William Powell, Diana Lewis, and Sig Ruman

Trouble in Paradise: 1940 Screen Guild Theater radio program featuring Ernst Lubitsch, Jack Benny, Claudette Colbert, and Basil Rathbone

(I think this is actually just Variety.)

The Killers (1946): Screen Director’s Playhouse 1949 radio adaptation, starring Burt Lancaster and Shelley Winters

Red River: Lux Radio Theatre adaptation of Red River from 1949, featuring John Wayne, Joanne Dru, and Walter Brennan

The Devil and Daniel Webster: The Columbia Workshop’s radio dramatizations of Stephen Vincent Benét’s short stories “The Devil and Daniel Webster” and “Daniel Webster and the Sea Serpent,” both featuring music by Bernard Herrmann

Stagecoach: Screen Director’s Playhouse 1949 radio dramatization, with John Wayne, Claire Trevor, and Ford, downloadable as an MP3 file(?)

Young Mr. Lincoln: Academy Award Theater radio dramatization, downloadable as an MP3 file(?)

The Mikado: excerpts from 1939 radio broadcasts of the stage productions The Swing Mikado and The Hot Mikado

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Just to recap, here's stuff Criterion is known to be working on:

There's probably more Wenders in the pipeline.

Wim Wenders Stiftung began 4K digital restorations last year, of which, per MoMA's retrospective, Janus has the American license for at least the following:
The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick (with some music substitution)
Alice in the Cities (now on Hulu)
The American Friend
Notebook on Cities and Clothes
Until the End of the World (Director's Cut)
The Left-Handed Woman (directed by Peter Handke and produced by Wenders)

plus Paris, Texas and Tokyo-Ga (included on the Late Spring blu)—though I'm not sure that would precipitate a rerelease of either.

(This year, the Wim Wenders Stiftung is undertaking 4K restorations of Wrong Move and Nick's Film – Lightning over Water, as well as 2K restorations of the shorts Same Player Shoots Again, Police Film, Silver City Revisited, 3 American LP's, Alabama (2000 Light Years), and Reverse Angle. A 4K restoration of Wings of Desire is scheduled for 2016.)

MoMA also claims to be screening new digital restorations (by Wim Wenders Stiftung, courtsey Janus) of Faraway, So Close! and Buena Vista Social Club…but Wim Wenders Stiftung has not actually restored these films. I would guess, but not bet, that Janus is in fact the provider of a restored Buena Vista Social Club, but Faraway, So Close! may still be with Sony.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Robert Denby posted:

Just saw this today and can confirm there was a Janus logo in front of it, also a gorgeous 4K transfer. There was a little text prologue explaining that there was digital clean-up involved with removing some of the more obvious tape splices.

There was no Janus logo in front of The Left-Handed Woman but they just finished that restoration so that's not necessarily bad news.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Where did you see it?

I'm assuming he meant the actual screening at MoMA.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum coming soon

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

kuddles posted:

There isn't a good reference point on Criterions where the DVD version sold terribly or the current rights of a previous release are in some non-negotiable position, is there? On that B&N sale, I'm wavering on a couple DVD movies that are low in stock, afraid that not buying it leads to it not being available in any form for ages, or that buying it means the Bluray version comes out a year from now.

This is old, but were you wondering about particular ones? It's sort of a case by case basis.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

A Touch of Zen is coming

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Parallax posted:

Where'd you hear this?

My fault—I should have sourced this. Janus has the US rights for the L'Immagine Ritrovata 4K restoration, which opens at Film Forum in NYC in April, and given past history I'd be astonished if it doesn't get a Criterion release.

I'd like to see Dragon Inn too (and Janus has the rights) but it's hardly as certain.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

i should note that Dragon Inn had a 4K restoration a year before A Touch of Zen, but maybe they think A Touch of Zen is the better one to lead with?

I imagine more A Touch of Zen playdates in other cities will be announced soon—not as ambitious or comprehensive as the Apu Trilogy, but along the same lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So that’s where I recognized Gritty from.