Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Two guys, one of who is really old, are in a shack in a swamp. They're boxing and the old guy keeps punching the younger guy in the face and saying "footwork my boy, footwork". That's literally all I remember, though I was a kid so it'll be from the 80s at the latest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

1 800 J JAMES posted:

Don't mean to be a dick but googling that quote suggests Lee Marvin's 'Shout at the Devil'.

Actually this looks awesome gonna watch it all
I can't believe I didn't think to google the dialogue with quotes around it, I clearly need to go back to internet school :doh:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
The police or FBI or whoever go to prison to interview some guy, he's been there so long he's confused by the filter-tip cigarette the offer him. That's literally all I remember.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I have a mental image of a guy putting a pill in his mouth and either biting it or cracking his neck - either way there's a noise to emphasise that he's taken it. I think he's a villain and he maybe takes the pill out of a metal case but I can't be certain.

I'm pretty sure it's an action film and probably one I've seen a load of times but I'm drawing a blank.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

computer parts posted:

This happened in Jessica Jones if you've seen that recently.

punchymcpunch posted:

Could be Dr No, I think a guy has a cyanide capsule in his cigarette case.
I watched Jessica Jones not long back and Dr No was on the telly recently so maybe it's one of them that put the thought in my head but it was definitely:

morestuff posted:

Leon the Professional, it's Gary Oldman.
As soon as I read that it (mostly) came back to me - he's just about to kill Natalie Portman's family and he says something about Beethoven. I guess I know what I'm watching this weekend, cheers all. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

DorianGravy posted:

That definitely looks like it! For whatever reason, though, I still only remember that opening scene. Still, JCVD and Lance Henriksen? I need to watch that again. Thanks!
I honestly don't think you've seen the entire movie if the one bit you remember isn't the ending, it's glorious. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Me and my mate caught the end of a film once while channel hopping years back, there was a guy who was in a care facility because he had some kind of mental issue and one of the doctors (who was possibly in love with him?) convinces the rest of the staff that he should be released so he can live at her house and she'll take care of him. The guy goes to live with her, has some kind of episode and runs out of the house, then a title card comes up saying he was never seen again (or something like that) and FIN. It felt like one of those atrocious low budget, true-story type affairs they show on Channel 5 a lot.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I caught the end of this movie off my dad's VHS rip of Men In Black back in the 90s, and I want to say it was on Starz. A guy is standing in front of a crowd of people giving a big speech, and him pointing to people in the audience to talk about things they did together. He points to one man and says "remember when we used to use a magnifying glass to fry ants on the sidewalk?"
That happens in Tommy Boy, but it's nearer the start of the film than the end.

Edit: this is the scene in question (I couldn't find a higher quality version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrb5OdgdZco

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 28, 2017

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'm trying to find an old british tv documentary about the holocaust where the presenter was scooping up water from a pond at a concentration camp and talking about how the ashes of his relatives had likely dissolved there. It was in colour and probably from the 70s or 80s.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

MeLKoR posted:

The Ascent of Man, one of the best documentary series I've watched. It's not about just the Holocaust, it has a similar structure to the later Cosmos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltjI3BXKBgY
Fantastic mate, cheers. :)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

Yes, that's why I want to know what the original movie was. I'm sure I've seen it.
Season one of Daredevil.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Andorra posted:

I'm pretty sure this gag is from a movie, but I don't know if it's live action or animated. A guy is examining something rare or expensive. He either loses interest or somebody says something to get his attention, so he nonchalantly tosses the thing over his shoulder.
My first instinct upon reading that was one of the Ace Venturas but I have no idea if I'm actually remembering that or imagining it. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

ElectricBlizzard posted:

People have asked in the comments of the video to no reply, i've also sent a message in the past but it seems the account is abandoned
Between the guy filming the scene on an iPad and the people running in with fire extinguishers it looks like it might be behind the scenes footage, if that helps narrow it down at all.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Someone is drinking and they turn their glass over and use it to trap an insect or something on the bar. That's all I've got to go on unfortunately.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

LesterGroans posted:

Constantine?
In my mind's eye it was a shot glass rather than a tumbler but I think that's probably it, cheers. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, I just watched that clip and it was definitely Skyfall - cheers all.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I saw the end of some modern noir thing in the 90s where a guy had been framed for a bunch of crimes and his lawyer is asking if there's any evidence that he was set up. He says he can think of one thing and then it cuts to a woman taking a piece of paper with someone's name on (which I assume is the one piece of evidence) from a building's doorbell and burning it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Power of Pecota posted:

That's The Last Seduction, 100%
Cheers.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Is there a film where someone's car number plate reads "CRIMINAL" or did I dream it? Googling "criminal license plate" just gets me a bunch of results about the legality of plates. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Which Jackie Chan film includes the gag where he's being chased down an alley on a bike and he knocks on a door as he passes, causing his pursuer to be knocked off his bike by someone opening the door?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Cheers :)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

ProfessorProf posted:

Trying to identify a martial arts movie based entirely on my scattered memories of one fight scene I saw on youtube years ago. What I can remember:

• High enough visual fidelity to be from the 00s or 10s.
  • Kung fu fight in some kind of temple and attached garden.
  • The bad guy in the fight is a huge guy in some kind of military uniform.
  • At one point, the good guy tries to punch the bad guy in the face, but the bad guy just punches the good guy's fist with his face instead.
  • At one point, the bad guy throws a kick so hard that it deadass breaks a tree in half in the garden.
  • The climax of the fight involves the hero using a belt as a whip.

Anything?
This sounds like Fist of Legend, I think. I'll look up the scene on youtube when I'm at my pc.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Pilchenstein posted:

This sounds like Fist of Legend, I think. I'll look up the scene on youtube when I'm at my pc.
Yeah, it's Fist of Legend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8JICb2D7CI
Edit: I didn't really need to check but any excuse to watch this again, it's pretty great :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 23, 2018

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Raspberry Bang posted:

The thing I have in mind is actually a music video and not a film so I hope that's alright.

The music video in question is one I caught late one night, probably on 120 minutes, around 1997ish. I don't remember much other than its a single female singer singing in a sort of grungy looking room and while the video is going on she is popping in and out of the room with this scary as poo poo puppet taking her place. From what I could remember the puppet had a round head and a mouth full of these giant dagger like teeth. I don't think it had any eyes.

I want to say the artist was Bjork but I don't think that's correct.
It's possibly this, but if not you might want to ask in the "Help me identify a song" Megathread.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Raspberry Bang posted:

That’s it’s! Good work that has been plaguing me for years.
Haha, I had the same issue until I finally set my mind to tracking it down a while back. Glad I could help. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

ErIog posted:

This is not it, but I wonder if I might be able to find it based on it possibly being another adaptation of the same thing. I should have said this in the post, but the reason I got more of a sci-fi vibe was because the house wasn't like gothic or victorian. It was modern glass and steel construction.
The mansion in 13 Ghosts looks like that. Skip to about 30 seconds in this trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVLsJKewZqk

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

ErIog posted:

Yeah, I can see how I could also be describing 13 Ghosts, but it's not that.
I figured it was a long shot since you weren't describing the plot of 13 Ghosts at all but you never know. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

codyclarke posted:

90's (or maybe late 80s) American romantic comedy-drama where a guy proposes to a woman by lighting up certain rooms in an office building to spell out "Will You Marry Me' (or some phrase along those lines) on the outside of the building, and has her look at the building from a distance where she'll see it spelled out. I kind of remember this happening towards the beginning of the film. Also I'm not misremembering the sign from LA Story, this is some other thing.
Pretty sure the robot does this (or something like this) while Fisher Stevens is on a date in Short Circuit 2. Don't think it's a marriage proposal though.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Polka_Rapper posted:

Okay, so at first I thought this was some adaption of The Raft by Stephen King. I found out that there was a filmed version of that story that was part of a horror anthology.

However that has nothing to do with what I ended up finding. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332457/
Beaten, though I did actually find the film itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpuhijUPf5c

Edit: and yeah, the description made me think of The Raft too. I believe the filmed version of that is one of the shorts in Creepshow 2.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Hard Target is full of wild moments but Lance Henriksen's clown pants are the standout for me. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Someone is defusing a bomb by pulling something out of it and it's basically Operation - they have to not let the thing they're taking out touch the sides. I have no idea why I remembered this suddenly. I think the part they're removing is a cylinder, if that helps. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Trevor Hale posted:

Executive Decision. Oliver Platt uses a plastic straw to keep the sides from touching.
He sticks the straw into the bomb to keep two pins from making contact, this is definitely somebody removing a cylinder (I think) from a bomb while trying not to touch the sides. I think there's even some buzzing as it gets too close.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
It's definitely not The Rock. I thought Octopussy might have been it when I saw the scene of them arming the bomb but Bond just pulls it apart in a couple of seconds - this was definitely slower and it buzzed when the core got near the sides.

It could well have been a Bond film, though searching for "Bond disarms bomb" only gets me Octopussy and Goldfinger and I'm pretty sure there has to be more than just those two.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Hannibal Rex posted:

Ok, this is getting to me. I'm pretty sure I've seen this. Compared to Octopussy, the detonator, or whatever part the hero is pulling out is a longer silver tube, so you definitely get the impression that it's a heavy strain to pull it out and keep it balanced, right? I'm not sure, but the bomb might be on a moving vehicle (train ship, plane) to add even more tension.
Yeah, exactly this. I thought maybe it happens on the supertanker in Spy Who Loved Me but I can't find the scene following this one lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWOhH4eI7vs
I think my mam has all the Bond films on dvd so I might have to go borrow this one to check. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Phanatic posted:

Close. The Spy Who Loved Me. Can't find a clip, but he needs to get through an armored door and the only explosive big enough is the HE section from a Polaris missile, but if he touches it to the side of the missile while extracting it it'll explode.
You're spot on mate. I went and borrowed the dvd, so in case anyone isn't convinced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emlSzZid90I
Absolutely loving the exaggerated nervous gulp that one guy does for comic effect. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

On which note: what is the movie that features the Ballchinians?
Men in Black?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I was close. :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
A cop film that I saw the first few minutes of on tv in the late 80s or very early 90s, all I remember is the cops breaching a door by sticking a metal bucket thing to it with suction cups and filling it with grenades.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I was reminded today of a scene where someone talks about a method of punishment killing where they force a towel down the victim's throat and then pull out their stomach lining, as ludicrous as that sounds. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

feedmyleg posted:

Maybe you're thinking of Enemy of the State with Will Smith? I can't remember that scene, but there's a conspiracy and a framing in it, so it seems probable. Also an infamous scene where security footage rotates around him to look at his face.
It's not his face, it's a bag he's carrying. They have a computer use "shadows" to build up an image of the opposite side of the bag so they can tell if the mcguffin is in it. I'm pretty sure Tony Scott claims it was a real tech that the NSA had on the commentary too, which was probably a bit gullible of him.

As far fetched as that film is at times, I really like the conversation about how the spy satellite can only look straight down and maybe that mook will design a better one :v: