Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Ok, here are two. They're both at least a decade old.

Reckless Kelly (Found thanks to Flynner Magee)
This was made possibly in the late 80s, and featured an Australian guy who went to Hollywood to star in movies. His love interest is a woman who enjoys Shakespeare. At one point he's auditioning for a part, and the man auditioning him is distracted by a fly. Without turning to look at it, the Australian guy takes out his gun and shoots the fly. This gets him the job on the spot. Later his love interest is also filming for the movie, and I think (this part is really hazy) she was dressed as a nun. She quoted Shakespeare when it wasn't in the script, the director got mad, but then when told it was too old to be subject to copyright, he was fine with it being used.

Some Sci-Fi movie that the Sci-Fi Channel loved
This was played on Sci-Fi all the time in the mid/late 90s, although my memory suggests it was a bit too high budget for that. I can't remember much of this, but it seemed a send-up of old cheesy movies. Enough to where it reminded me of Flash Gordon, but with a better budget. The main character was either an actor or a writer for a Sci-Fi show. At one point in the movie he is faced with a puzzle, where he must choose between a sword or a pen to topple an enemy. He goes for the sword, hesitates, and chooses the pen. After winning (I can't remember if there was a fight or if whoever was behind the puzzle went "Yep, that's the right thing, proceed!") he remarks "The pen is mightier than the sword!" and talks about how that was a plot point in an old episode of his show.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've got two.

The first is a movie that was all over the Sci-Fi channel in the mid to late 90s. It was similar to Galaxy Quest in that it was about an actor who got transported to a setting similar to the one his show was based on. I remember a puzzle in what looked like Inca ruins, and he deduced the answer because one time on his show they dealt with how a pen was mightier than a sword. I know that is vague but I've seen goons in this thread work wonders.

The second one will be a bit easier to identify. It contained a dude popping out of a coffin at his own funeral and there was a machine gun in the coffin with him and he mowed down a bunch of dudes crashing his funeral. I believe this was a one man army movie where the dude faked his own death just for this scene to happen.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I Love My Axe posted:

I think this might be The Adventures of Captain Zoom in Outer Space.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112292/

Yes, this appears to be it. Thank you!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The TV show is Deadliest Warrior

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I have no idea when this movie is from or what it is about, but I do know at one point a black guy dressed in all white is in a desert with an uzi and shoots a cardboard cut out of Reagan. I'd like to know the movie so I can appreciate that scene in context.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Pretty sure that happened in Lord of War, with Nic Cage as a gun runner.

computer parts posted:

Yep, it's Reagan because that part of the film takes place during the 80s.

Thanks! I'll check this out.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I don't know what it is, but that's definitely not Princess Mononoke.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Tardigrade posted:

The Beastmaster? It wasn't a kid though.

If it was Beastmaster it was this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_6x9NRz8gk

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

A black and white movie from the 40s or 50s which was shot entirely in first person. I remember seeing the film's trailer in my film 101 class but I can't recall the name of the film and google isn't turning anything up. I think it was a detective film where the main character (whose viewpoint the audience had) was the detective. I also think that it had voice over narration detailing his thoughts during the scenes.

edit: It was Lady in the Lake

TTBF fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 20, 2013

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Thank you, that's the one. I knew that someone would remember that quickly.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

When you got to the part about the crypt I was thinking it was probably 1988's Night of the Demons, but the mention of the famous lipstick scene makes it 100% certain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKzuj2eavtU

e: and of course beaten because I felt the need to get the trailer.

e2: Not to be confused with 1980's Night of the Demon (singular)

TTBF fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 15, 2013

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Here's a gory gif of a scene from a movie. It's a dude just walking along and then he suddenly gets cut in half and the world moves around and cuts him into pieces. Any idea what movie it is?

e: vvvvv Ah, a short film. That solves that. Thank you.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 3, 2013

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It could have been Phantom of the Mall: Eric's Revenge. See if any of that looks familiar. It is a horror but it wasn't really marketed as a "real" horror so you may have seen it. A bomb does go off at the end and the mall is destroyed.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That might have been Deathstalker II but my memory on that is fuzzy. Can you remember if the guy also had to do a trial by combat in what appeared to be a modern wrestling ring with a gigantic woman?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

There was an episode of Sailor Moon where they exhaled garlic breath onto a vampire in order to weaken it. There isn't a biting into the garlic bulb though. The animation is originally from that time period but I don't know when the English dub got around to that episode.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

This one's been bugging me lately. I'm not so much interested in watching the film as trying to figure out what the gently caress it was about and what direction it was taken in. I saw it in the early 90s on TV (may have been HBO) but it may have been an 80s movie.

A bunch of boys (pre-teens or early teens) decide they want to see a woman naked so they save up all their money and hire a prostitute. They try and pay her using a jar of coins and single dollar bills, and also all want to be there at once. I think one of the boys befriends the prostitute and she's an actual main character in the movie, with the naked woman thing not just being a subplot. I may be wrong about that though.

vvvv That's it, Milk Money.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 5, 2013

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That seems to be it, thank you. The summary makes it sound even weirder than I remember it.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That would be 1996's Fear with Mark Wahlberg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wC8Ab5AZeE

e: A bit late to answer due to looking for the clip.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It was a sketch comedy movie. The only sketch I remember to any real extent is an animated segment about the brother of Jesus. I saw it in 2009 or so via Verizon's On Demand service. It looked to have been made around that same time period. I think there was a framing device of two movers taking a break from moving a house to watch TV.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

This was it, thank you.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Allegra's Window?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That would have been an episode from the third season of the claymation cartoon Moral Orel. Probably one of the darkest seasons of television to ever air in the U.S.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

All I remember for sure about this movie is there were some punks in a convertible, and they were passing around a Coca Cola can. They had a straw in it, and were putting the straw into their noses and snorting, while implying the contents of the can were cocaine and not Coca Cola. It may have been dubbed from another language and if so that language was probably Italian because I'm remembering zombie like things. It didn't look 70s though, it looked more 80s.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

zombieman posted:

They're not in a convertible, but that's from Demons.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089013/reference

That's definitely it. Thanks for the help.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That's the ending to Black Lion, so if "nuclear powered cyborg ninja killer runs amok in Nobunaga era Japan" rings a bell then that's probably it. But otherwise that could be a ton of things.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Glenn Beck mentioned it a while back. It made actual news site because he dropped what looked to be a real frog into boiling water while talking about it. Maybe you're remembering that?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

These are small snippets of things so I have no idea when they were made or anything like that. Sorry for the vagueness.

1) A guy in a bondage fetish suit is running away from something. He's in a suburban neighborhood in the daytime. He stops next to a garbage truck because he's out of breath, and thanks God for helping him escape. A blue, metal, garbage bin falls on him and kills him. I saw this played before a movie at an Alamo Drafthouse location.

2) A man dressed up to look like a plastic or wooden toy is yelling at a woman about how he can love her like a real son, and tries to tackle her. She stabs him in the shoulder ball joint with a screwdriver. Meanwhile a dude who I think is young Dan Akroyd is wearing make-up to make him look old and fat (so he looks like modern Dan Akroyd) and looks on from an office desk. This might be two different movies spliced together as the Dan Akroyd look alike was not shown at the same time as the woman and the toy person. I saw this in a compilation of weird videos.

e: The Dan Akroyd part is "Nothing But Trouble"

TTBF fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 18, 2014

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Sir Nose posted:

This is usually Nothing But Trouble http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102558/ but I've never seen it so I don't know if any of the other stuff you describe is also from this movie.

That looks like it. Don't know if the Pinnochio style thing is in that or not, guess I'll find out later.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Volume posted:

I might be wrong on the spaceship part but it's not play time. Way more recent than 67

The first part of your description fits Space Truckers, although there's not a large group of people in the spaceship at the time. There is a later scene where a huge fight breaks out between a bunch of people on a different spacecraft. I can't recall the music though. If a killer robot or a cyborg Charles Dance pops into your memories it is definitely Space Truckers.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That is definitely Jarhead. The two snipers beg to be allowed to take the shot anyway since the entire base is about to get blown up. When they're not allowed to, one of them freaks out and starts yelling "THAT WAS MY KILL!" and "YOU loving DESK JOCKEYS!" at the officers who told them to stand down. It's near the very end of the movie.

I can't find the full scene on YouTube but I found part of it intercut with a watermelon exploding so if you want to see if that jogs your memory here you go.

The gunshot there wasn't actually a gunshot in the movie, but a door opening for the (Air Force?) officers to come in and watch the base be blown up.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

This doesn't quite match up, but The Hunted is a movie staring Christopher Lambert and takes place almost exclusively in Japan. It has to do with ninjas so if she was thinking "a scorpion got put in someone's bed to kill them" then that might fit. It's been a while since I've seen it though. It doesn't match the description of being like Big Trouble in Little China unless you mean the white male lead is actually the sidekick to Asian characters.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Probably Collateral (2004), dir Michael Mann

That is definitely Collateral, I saw the same documentary for my intro film class a few years back.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 7, 2016

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

A friend remembers a movie from the late 80s or early 90s he saw a bit of as a child. It had a robot that looked a lot like a more angular Johnny 5 from Short Circuit and had a laser, much like Johnny 5 did. It was a horror movie though, where the robot was holding a family hostage. He says he remembers it shooting knives from a knife launcher at one point.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

It's not Chopping Mall. I've definitely shown him that movie before and it wasn't that.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Evolver is absolutely 100% it. Thank you.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Here's a list of movies that The Burning was referenced in. Scan through that and see if anything sticks out.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Just a shot in the dark, but is it 1988's The Blob?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03bDIB_xf0I

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Tendoru posted:

With great shame I need to ask for help once again.
Some saint in this forum helped me out years ago, but I cant find my post anymore, even after scanning through all 250-something pages.

It was an old anime/cartoon on VHS that we had.
The story is about a boy that in the beginning looses his father, who is a martial artist. His father is killed in front of him by an evil rival, who had a sidekick-woman that used needles to kill him.
The boy then needs to flee and hides in a cave. The next day he starts exploring/training and meets a monkey, that in the beginning is very sceptical of him.
I think that they become friends after he fights against a monster/big cat to save the monkey. THey also tried to eat some beets, but they were very bitter and they all had a laugh!

The story advances and the boy now is a teenager and soemhow ends up in a town, where he is imprisioned, because he breaks the rules of the oppressive regime there. A girl helps him and hands him food through the cell window.
Lo and behold the oppressive regime is lead by the evil rival that killed his father.

Unfortunately, we did only have two tapes and i dont know the rest of the story.
It was one of those good old animation movies that didnt shy away from showing blood and real consequences.

I don't know what specifically that is, but it definitely sounds like something that came over during the late 80s/early 90s Japanimation wave. Check out the Identify an anime thread in ADTRW.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

SO this is gonna be the vaguest thing I've ever posted.

I have a memory from around 2001, where I was in middle school and I had a tutor who was really into film. He was between 21 and 25 and he was really big into indie movies and the like. He loving idolized Kevin Smith. That kind of dude.

One thing I remember him doing a lot was whenever he'd see me reading a Japanese comic he'd put on a Comic Book Nerd voice and say "It's pronounced man goooo". It was obviously a reference to something. I remember asking him about it and he said it was a film, but I don't think I ever caught the title. i've watched a few movies about comic book stores (which is what I figure it must have been about) and haven't heard a line like it. Anyone have know what this film was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Red posted:

Nope, I know that flick pretty well. The movie I'm thinking of featured the zombie-ish ambulance driver as a main character type, friend to the lead.

Any possibility it is zombie buddy cop movie Dead Heat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB6IW1PunPQ

I don't recall you saying how much you'd seen of the movie, but if you were flipping through channels and this was on there is a definite possibility you saw a scene with a zombie ambulance driver as a main character type.