Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
These are my only purchases in the past few years, but I went through a half dozen other guitars before ending here (mainly the fact I got into cars).

Mexican Fat Strat

With a pearly gates

This was my father's Washburn. I inherited it when he passed away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Automatic Slim posted:

Pearly Gates are a good match for single coils. There's not that big of a volume jump going between the them and the humbucker like you get with hotter pickups.

It had the Fender hum bucker installed originally, but it still produced a slight hum and the sound quality didn't sound that nice, to be honest.

The SD pearly gates made a noticeable difference, but my Fender amp was still a stumbling block for the tone I wanted. Hoping to try out a few Roland Cubes (40XL) to see if I can tone down some of the Strat "brightness".

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Squirrel Burger posted:

Bwahahaha.

DL Noble Sonic Sitka small jumbo, only one like it on earth.

Amazing :golfclap:

Picked up a Cube 40XL and it's everything I could want from a small amp. I'm in love with playing again. :allears:

Got it for $230 taxes included and a free set of strings.

My noiseless GFS pickups get here this week, so I bought that Hakko-888 to have a nicer installation time than with my lovely RadioShack poo poo-iron. I don't think my Strat has ever been setup properly, so I'll be following the guides and see how much better it sounds and feels afterwards.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Jiimy posted:

Fender just cannot make a humbucker it seems.

It completely changed my Strat into something interesting to play when I started switching out components.
SD Pearly Gates, GFS noiseless vintage mid, GFS noiseless hot vintage neck, and a way fatter steel tremolo block was some of the best money I spent on it.

I used to hate the tones it would produce out of the box, but fell back in love with playing guitar again after those upgrades. :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Bought this old Epiphone LP a couple weeks ago. It needs a huge stack of repairs (nut's broke on the big-E, selector switch worn out, knobs scratchy, stripped strap peg hole) and eventually some upgrades.

It's just got some dings, a little peeling clear on one edge, etc. Gives it some character.

I was thinking some SD Antiquities in gold to complete the "worn" look of the guitar.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

You forget, my friend, that nothing I own cost more than $200.

I'm in the same club :hfive:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I bought a bass for fifteen dollars today.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Well... that certainly is a fifteen dollar bass. What's wrong with the pickup? One half fell out? Does the other half even work?
Still, some parts, new tuners, and a good setup cures many ills.

The input jack needs replacement, the tone pot is scratchy, but everything else works. Tuned it up and screwed around a bit. The lower half of the pickup fell out a bit, but still works well enough it seems.

Wasn't expecting world class quality for under $20. Worst case scenario is I use it as a partial trade towards something interesting. I'd call it a garage sale success for a bargain basement bass.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Colonial Air Force posted:

What's that new job? I make a lot more money now and should reward myself? Okay.

The family:

Nice! I've kind of wanted to try one since seeing John Nash live with Electric Six. :allears:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
From the guitar thread. I got a free Silvertone and it still plays fairly well.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Hey, add a pic of the zero fret, would you?

Just for you :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

nrr posted:

Except that nut looks higher than the zero fret so it looks like it's setting string height too.

You should have seen it before. :hfive:

Believe me, you can tell when the nut is holding the string height over the middle fret. It produces quite a distinct "double note" kind of buzz. I need to file the small E string some more because it's the only one that still does it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Picked up my new Tele today. Love it.

I used to only have one guitar and one amp before I started reading posts here. :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Not near as impressive as that bass, but picked up baby's first pedal tonight.

Made all the garage band sounds I could dream for. :allears:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

foonykins posted:

Not here yet, but Sweetwater is all set to take my money, take it off one truck, and put it on another one the moment this bad boy comes into their warehouse :dance:

Apparently I got got dibs on the last one coming into Sweetwater on the first shipment. Literally every single one of these is now accounted for before they even set foot in the warehouse. All you suckers have to wait till November now .

e: Maybe it wasn't clear, but I'm getting the Squier VM Bass VI. This is some other lucky bastards photo cause none of the other photos looked good.

I have no idea how long mine is going to take but I'll (somewhat) happily wait it out.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Local music store was clearing out their Roland XL Cubes to make way for the new GX Cubes.

Picked up a Cube 80XL for $300. Not the wildest amp out there, but I really like the noises they make.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Balls. That's... is that a Bottom Master? With the fuzz circuit? I count four switches.

Strangle switch. Cuts the low end out for a more guitar-like tone (same as the Squier) (edit: maybe not)

Sockington fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 15, 2013

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Zonekeeper posted:

Trust me, I wasn't going to start with Comfortably Numb. I have a long way to go before that can happen - it's more of a goal to aim for. The suggestions are appreciated, though.

Wish You Were Here isn't too bad, really.

Edit: Still waiting on my Squier Bass VI. Hurry up, Indonesia. :f5:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

CPL593H posted:

But I am going to find some kind of bridge that will work on this so I can play it. It has a very unique tone and it's really easy to fly all over the fret board due to the width of the neck. I know they're probably out there somewhere, but I've never come across another one of these.

A bronco bridge would have the same spacing as a guitar neck, but it's not going to look the same. :(

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

The car game?

AI tradition. Someone posts a car. You either post the same car or same colour in the next photo.

Car 1: Purple Honda Civic
Car 2: Purple Mazda Miata
Car 3: Pink Mazda Miata
Car 4: Pink Lincoln Continental

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Picked up a Boss PW10 V-Wah to noodle around with. Good fun.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Got this free Hammond. It actually sounds pretty decent for a solid state setup. Leslie speaker works along with the awesome spring reverb. Has a 1/4 aux input on the back. :)

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
On the topic of non-standard Mandolins, this man-jo came with our house.

It's missing a string, the bridge slides over the face, and I have no idea how to play it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Installed a GFS neck humbucker (Vintage Extra Hot - VEH), Neovin noiseless bridge pickup (Power Rock), new compensated saddles, new switchgear, push/pull pots, and required pickguard.

Spent 50% of the original price of the guitar on fixing it up to what I wanted to eventually use it for. :3:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

RetardedRobots posted:

Now to just learn how to play and I'm all set.

I'm in the same boat! Nice setup, by the way.

It feels like learning guitar all over again with that extra string there.

The B-stock blemish I couldn't give a poo poo about.

The pickups are kinda meh and it's heavy as all poo poo. Only complaints so far (beyond my playing ability).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Traded my too heavy Agile 7string for a slightly upgraded PRS SE. Came with locking tuners and JB Seymour Duncan in the bridge. Much happier than with the Agile.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Had the Strat for almost half my life. Decided to do some trading this week and have two PRSs to round out the electrics.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dr. Klas posted:

Nice! What kind of finish does the leftmost blue PRS have? It looks so uneven, but I guss it's just a bad photo. How come you bought both?

I have both because someone wanted my Tele that was only worth $300 new :3:

The first year Santana SEs came with a translucent finish.

I got the middle one to use at jam nights since it's already got a few kiss marks and enjoyed it enough that I traded the Tele even for the Santana.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dr. Klas posted:

Nice! What kind of finish does the leftmost blue PRS have? It looks so uneven, but I guss it's just a bad photo. How come you bought both?

Just seen it on the computer now and that it's the reflection from the decorative ceiling the living room. :3: My phone didn't show that reflection as well.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

iostream.h posted:

Incidentally, I posted a JCA22H in the Gear Trades thread if anyone's interested.

drat you for posting this. JCA22H on the way from your friendly neighbourhood iostream.h

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Scarf posted:

Glad you got at least some reparation out of it...

Take note kids, take down the serial #s of your gear.

I've had the same Strat for almost half my life. That serial number is engrained in my memory.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

firebad57 posted:

I just realized that it's hard to tell mine is Sonic Blue, so it doesn't quite look like the J Mascis one in real life. I mostly got the anodized pickguard for hum-blocking reasons, which it is doing quite well. I got gold because it's sexier.

I might end up grabbing one as my next Squier purchase. :allears:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Agreed posted:

Good choice!

Agreed! :rimshot:

One came in the bridge of my PRS SE singlecut. I wouldn't have known how awesome they were otherwise :allears:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Poor man Bass VI showed up finally.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

RetardedRobots posted:

E-to-E. The MIJ, Pawnshop and Squier all need bridge upgrades, but otherwise they don't need anything else. Locking trem isn't really a need; it won't pull itself from normal playing and you really can't play it very hard due to string spacing.

I find the low E a bit flabby, but other than that it seems fine. The nut on the Squier is absolutely terribly finished (on both that I seen, brand new from the box) with the current run. Mine still had white dust up to the first fret and tiny pieces hanging off the nut from final fitting of the strings. Even the outside of the nut has some light tooling marks on one spot from the file job. Fretboard and frets are otherwise flawless much like the rest of the vintage modified series. I think they were just trying to rush these out based on how far behind they were with the orders. My current one still had little fuzzies in the neck pocket from buffing.

The one that was damaged had an ugly brown knot right behind the 7th fret marker, so I don't think they're being very particular with cuts. The neck on this new one is much nicer cosmetically, so hopefully it was just the runt of the litter. The box was not damaged at all in the area of the crack on the first one either. :ohdear:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

RetardedRobots posted:

Are these Indonesian or Chinese? I thought they were from the Indonesian factory which is a pretty great factory.

Indonesian.

EDIT: and this was after dusting it off a bit

Sockington fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 1, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

JustAwful posted:

Best pedal I've ever bought. Expensive, but worth it.

I love my little boost as well. :)

Picked up this custom order pedal box, two Planet Waves solderless kits, and a Boss DD6 for $200 today. The pedal box is completely lined with velco and the front and top come off. Custom ordered from Penn Fabrication

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Went looking for a super cheap practice amp for my niece since playing electric guitars acoustically is kind of lack luster.

This old Peavey had zero output thanks to 99% clogged pots. The lady just gave it to me for free since it was acting up and I wasn't in the mood to diagnose a little crap amp.

Sprayed the poo poo out of the pots and got it working almost perfectly. Once and while it still hits a dead spot and just needs the pot turned back and forth a bit and it will go back on its merry way.

Nothing special, but it's all a 10year old girl needs to make twangy noises in my sister's basement. Plus giving loud toys to your siblings kids is ultimate torture.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
That Jazzmaster multicolour beast is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Crosspost from the guitar thread since I'm overjoyed with my base model Gibson.