Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The rocketloop link in the VST section is dead too (unfortunately)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If you want lo-fi you can probably find a tape recorder lying around somewhere for free, that'll give you a lot of the style and warble and compression that makes a tape sound like a tape. It depends how lo-fi you want to go really

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

wixard posted:

The telltale sound is the tone you can identify (it's not just static, there's a kind of note underneath the static).

Yeah, it sounds a bit like a modem in the distance, going screebly beep instead of screeching. I get it if I plug my earbuds into my computer's headphone socket, with its onboard sound - I can move the mousewheel and hear it vary as the stuff displayed on the screen changes

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ramseyk posted:

Can anyone help me? This problem makes me want to shoot myself. Does anyone have experience with Cubase? :ohdear:

Not really, but maybe try setting Preroll to 0 while you're rendering your MIDI effects, then set it back when you're done? I'm just googling here so I can only throw that out there!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ramseyk posted:

Just to clarify further: What Cubase is doing is if i have a section of my riff selected and highlighted, and I go to mix it down, it bleeds over the sounds from the part that isn't highlighted. In a real time export, I can see the cursor winding up before the riff (outside of the left locator! Which is really loving strange no?) and playing back until it reaches the riff. This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have notes that had trails with reverb or fx.

Yeah I know what you mean, I have some vague recollection of something, some setting where you activate this behaviour to get a more natural snippet of the whole track (since you'd expect to hear those trails), or to make it loopable (so the trails are actually from the end of your clip). If that doesn't give you any ideas maybe you could poke around your FX settings in Cubase or Massive, see if you have an option set along those lines?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Email harvesting bots don't care about spoiler tags y'know! Just be clever about how you write it out

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Musicians Friend also has a BLACKFRI (that's the code, it's on their page) sale going on right now, 10% off $49+, 15% off $199+, free shipping with no minimum order.

That's 50 bucks off my $350 order! (If those are the headphones I end up getting)

I wouldn't bet on it:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pages/4deals-exclusions
Basically practically every major brand is excluded from those sales. It does say 'select products' but unless it's worked in your cart I'd be real suspicious about that discount

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Interesting! I didn't know they'd cave so easily, I guess it's always worth trying your luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well don't forget, what you're hearing when you play is the actual sound in the room, with all the reflections and the filtering that your ears provide. And you've probably set it up to sound good while you're playing. What your mic is hearing is the sound from directly in front of the speaker - stick your head there and see how it sounds! Probably pretty different.

If you can, it's worth putting on some headphones and playing around with the mic placement - what part of the cab it's in front of, the angle it's pointing at, and the distance away from the cab. It'll make a big difference as you change all these things, and you'll probably find a spot that makes your overdrive and reverb come across better. Don't be afraid to change your EQ too, bass drops off very quickly with distance, so what sounds great in the middle of the room might be overwhelming at the source. This is why headphones help, so you can hear what the mic hears and make sure it's getting 'your sound'