Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Keefaz posted:

Hmmm... I see if I can get him to lower his price. I'm hoping it will help my acoustic guitar tone. I already spent this month's music allowance last week on a Studio Project B3 mic, but it's running through the dreaded Behringer preamp I stole when my band broke up. Maybe it's better to save and look for something a bit classier, but I'm an eager idiot with stuff like this...

I've got a Presonus BlueTube, and I'd recommend it. I've heard a lot of negative feedback about the TubePre (and most ART stuff in general...). I haven't used my acoustic through the Blue Tube, but I love how well it works for warming up vocals. My only gripe with it is that there's no on/off switch, so you have to unplug it when you're not using it (seriously, what the gently caress?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

RTM posted:

My church wants to ditch their crappy tape player from the 80's and record their services onto CD, so I'm in the market for some software that records an audio input to a .wav or .mp3 file so I can burn it onto a CD. This software should be as simple (and preferably cheap) as possible- the people running it won't be computer geniuses. No crazy mixing is necessary, just a straight audio feed from the sound board into the computer (via the line-in jack on the soundcard, most likely).

Anyone have a recommendation for software that does this?

For free, you can check out Audacity, which should be able to do everything you need it to do and more, is about as easy as it gets, and costs nothing at all.

A question of my own - will adding RAM to my setup improve my MIDI latency? I've got 2 gigs now, and my latency is pretty low (around 8ms), but when I'm jamming on my newly built electronic drumkit that goes straight into my computer, I still feel a little bit of a disconnect.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Jer posted:

I feel a little silly posting this with everyone else possessing such high-end equipment, but I just want to mess around with recording some karaoke stuff on my home computer. People seem to give me high marks for my voice, so I wanted to give recording a try.

I tried using my cheap microphone plugged into my computer's onboard sound card, but it sounded absolutely horrible (probably unsurprising). I really want to try something a little bit better, and after a little bit of research, I figured out a couple of routes I wanted to take.

Firstly, I was thinking about buying the M Audio MobilePre and a relatively inexpensive ($70-$100) condenser mic and giving that a shot.

Secondly, a USB condenser mic so I don't have to worry about pre-amps or audio interfacing.

Which set will give me the most bang for my buck? Obviously, the first setup is more desirable, but if the distinctions between the two won't be terribly apparent for what I'm doing, it'd be simpler for me to just grab the USB mic. Spending minimal money is good too in case I discover I'm a horrible singer and just want to forget the whole thing.

M-Audio is a pretty good brand as far as bang for the buck, so I think you'd do fine to stick with them. As for MobilePre and condenser mic vs USB mic, the seperate preamp will give you the option to upgrade your microphone (or even just try out different kinds) later on, so it will be more versatile. The preamp will also let you record other stuff if you want to run a guitar/keyboard/whatever direct later on. If you're strapped for cash, you could look into the M-Audio USB FastTrack too, which only has 1 mic input, but should work fine for your purposes.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

hmmxkrazee posted:

Oh okay thanks. Do all condenser mics need phantom power? Is there a cheaper condenser mic that would be fine would just the preamp on the UX1? I can always upgrade later.

You could also just pay a little more for the UX2, which does have phantom power, along with a couple extra inputs (recording in stereo with two different processing chains is pretty cool). I use the UX2 for just about everything - it's very versatile while being pretty simple, and I think the quality is amazing for the price.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

nimper posted:

Just get the UX2. The $20 you'd save with the Art Tube MP would be taken up with the extra cabling required.

Not only this, but you'll also be glad you have 2 mic inputs down the road when you start getting more creative with your recording techniques.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

teamgod posted:

All this stuff just makes my head hurt. I've skimmed through some posts and it seems like everyone has a different set up with different pros and cons. What I need is a simple interface for recording electric guitar. No mics, just a 1/4" interface. That's about it. I have been using Cubase for a while creating drum tracks but now I'd like to get some guitar on there.

My price range is about $200-250. It doesn't matter how many inputs I get. For now I just need a simple guitar input with low or zero latency. I've had a look at my boss' setup and his is a high-end Audigy box that plugs into a PCI interface. He said he paid quite a bit for his though. Anyway I've tried using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to go right into my sound card but it sounded like poo poo.

I looked at the Fast Track USB interface from M-Audio but reviewers say the latency is horrible. USB, Firewire, or PCI.. whichever is my best option within my price range.

I've suggested it in this thread before, and I'll do it again - if you're looking for an easy, cheap, and effective solution, you should try out the Line 6 Toneport line. They are cheaper than ever now that they are starting to roll out repackaged/recolored models, and they're really great for tinkering with your sound. They cover a broad range of modeled amps for guitars, vocals, bass, etc, and do it very well for the most part. If you absolutely hate the modeled amps, you should at least be able to dial in a preamp sound that you like, and then you can simply mic up your amp as normal through it with nice low latency/no latency monitoring in the ease of a USB package.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

SlippyHat posted:

Edit: of course, right after I wrote this I started experiencing awful sounds in the supplied Gearbox software that came with the KB37 -- really strong crackling and echoes that are showing up not just in the "monitor", but also in the recordings. Some googling suggests that this might be USB-port-related, but it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Do you have it plugged into one of the onboard USB ports, or through a hub? You should definitely be going into an onboard port - hubs can introduce all kinds of problems with USB-base soundcards. Other than that, make sure your USB drivers are all up to date. Also, you might want to disable your onboard soundcard as well - sometimes there are conflicts there. I've never had any trouble with my Toneport, but I've never used the KB37, so maybe there's a difference when it's sending MIDI data at the same time as audio?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

Hey guys

You've got a few options, all of which will require at least a little bit of investment.

If really like the sounds of the built in samples, you can get an audio interface for your computer along with some recording software (or a stand-alone multitrack) to track it like a standard analog instrument (but without all the noise, since the drums are digital) using the stereo outs. The upside of this is that it's pretty simple, and if you like the sounds your drums make, this will keep them intact. The downside is that it will leave you with only a 2-channel audio file, so you have less options with your mix.

The other route you can take is to get an interface with MIDI capabilities, and use your MIDI out to control software drum samples (like BFD or EZ Drummer). If you record the MIDI data, you can then go back in and change the drum sounds to whatever you want without having to re-record anything (and you can also dig in and correct timing and stuff in the MIDI, or change the tempo easily). The upside to this is that you have almost unlimited versatility as far as sounds, tempo, etc long after you record the beat, and you can split each drum into a separate audio track to give you a lot more option with your mix. The downside is that it can make things more complicated, and you'll have to spend a little more money on a software drum sample package (but it does give you a bunch more kits to play around with)

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I really don't know the science behind it, but I know that after I upgraded my processor and and ram, my slightly noticeable latency when playing my electric drum kit through my software VSTi went away, and it made it finally feel like a live kit.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I play on an electronic drumkit that I built myself and run through my computer into EZ Drummer, and that works great, but I'd like to play around with building my own experimental kit with different sound samples - what software should I look into? I have a crazy meta dream of playing my ekit to trigger beatbox samples.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

saint gerald posted:

Ah, I see. Maybe I'd better set my sights a little higher then. Thanks.

I was tasked with setting up a recording rig on the cheap at work, and I was going to get the Zoom H2 so that we'd have a field recorder if we needed it. I changed my mind as soon as held the demo unit in my hand though - it felt like a cheap plastic toy.

I've been reading lots of good stuff about the Line 6 BackTrack though - they've got one with a microphone and one without. You might want to check one of those out. I've been wanting to pick one up just as a 'sketch' recorder.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Here's a question I couldn't find a good answer for from google:

I've got my latency down to about 6.5ms. When I record parts playing along with my MIDI drum track, they sound slightly off time to me when I play them back - should I be nudging them 6.5ms ahead after recording them to compensate for my latency? Or is it just my own lovely timing/all in my head?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Hopefully this is an OK place to ask - I can't find the dedicated Reaper thread anymore...

I use Reaper with Toontracks EZdrummer - is there any easy way to render my drum sounds out into separate waves/tracks? It already routes the MIDI to different tracks so I can process the different virtual drums/mics with either Reaper or the internal EZdrummer mixer, but I can't seem to figure out how to render each one down to a normal wav file short of soloing/rendering each one individually.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Acmebargig makes some pretty cool amp modelers:
http://www.acmebargig.com/
A bunch of them are totally free, and they should run a little leaner for you

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

What's the general consensus on HelloMusic? They have Reason 7 for DIRT CHEAP but I've heard their shipping is sketchy... Also, why does Propellerhead charge more for the download only version of Reason 7 than the version that has actual packaging?

I've bought a few (large) items from Hello Music, and I've had generally really good experiences with them. Their shipping seems to take a couple days longer to get out than the typical Amazon/MF order, but the cost savings usually makes up for it IMO. I've only had one instance where I had to cancel an order with them because the distributor for one of the amps they were selling had delays and it changed my delivery estimate from around a week to like a month+.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

ejstheman posted:

I'm interested in making field recordings, and it seems like toting around an audio interface and my laptop might not be the best way to go about this in terms of workflow (or financial risk). I don't really know the first thing about digital recorders, though. The TASCAM DR-40 looks like what I need after some googling around, and it's in my price range. Has anybody used one? Is there some other device in the same section of the market (<$200) that you'd recommend instead?

The uses I anticipate right now are sampling weird sounds from nature, sampling old music boxes from my grandmother's house, and soundboard recording at friends' concerts/practice sessions, so I like having both built-in microphones and balanced inputs. I'm somewhat biased towards SD cards for storage media since my new laptop has an SD slot, but that's not a big deal.

I've got one of those and I love it - you can even hook up 2 additional mics and record 4 tracks simultaneously (well, 2 mono plus 1 split stereo with the built in mics). I wad pleasantly suprised by the quality for the price, and I see it go on sale pretty frequently on Amazon as well as Hello Music.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I want to apply distortions and other effects to input through my computer (using a 1/4 -> USB adapter) so I can relearn guitar and learn other stringed instruments without using my physical amp.

What's a good preferably free program that lets me throw distortions at a live input? I looked at POD Farm a little bit but I wasn't a fan of the interface

Amplitube has a free version with a (very) limited amount of models - I like their interface and quality, and you can buy more stuff for it ala cart.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Agrikk posted:

Can someone recommend me a good pair of headphones for recording?

I have a pair of monitors for the actual mixdown process, but I'm looking for a new pair of over-the-ear headphones to use while recording. I want them to be neutral-sounding and comfortable to wear for extended periods.

Right now, I'm using a ten million year old pair of Sony MDR CD50 headphones, and after a while the top of my head starts to ache from the overhead plastic thingy bearing incessantly on the top of my (bald) head and never mind my ears sweating.

So I guess what I'm looking for is a lightweight pair of neutral-sounding over the ear headphones that don't make the top of my head tender and my ears not sweat.

I use these: KRK KNS6400 Studio Headphones https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ARSMXQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_j0Dgvb15TGSC5

and they're the most comfy headphones I've ever used. They're really nicely designed to, with replaceable components and ear cup material that doesn't seem to crack and fall apart like every other pair of headphones I've had.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Reaper is awesome.

One workflow tip I can offer (that it took me forever to actually start implementing) is to save out a base template to start you projects with - it's a huge time saver, and it's awesome for if you wanna get an idea down quickly before you lose it.
For example, I have a template saved out that already has a drum track with EZ Drummer loaded, 2 guitar tracks each with an instance of Amplitube loaded up (one clean and one dirty), a bass track with Amplitube, and a vocal track with some basic EQ and compression. I even have a basic midi 'click track' on the drum track that I can use instead of the built in metronome (I hate playing to digital clicks). I found it helps a ton when I'm feeling inspired and just wanna hop on my DAW without the 10 minutes of setup.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

So - I love how I am now completely frustrated by my voice. I thought I was a great singer until I heard recordings. I still think I sing well live and through a PA but this recording business is making me truly appreciate how gifted others are at this.

Hearing your voice clean and dry while tracking can be distracting and uncomfortable - a lot of people like to put a little reverb on the vocal track in the monitor mix when they record. I find that sometimes a little delay is even better, especially when the song isn't super ballad-y.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Just to chime in regarding compression:

The explanation I heard that finally made it click in my head is this:
Say you have a volume spike in just one part of a track, and as you're mixing, you pull down on the volume fader at just the right time to compensate for that spike, then bring the fader back up right after. Compression is that action, automated. All of the various settings on the compressor just control when, how much, and how fast that action takes place. You set a threshold for when it kicks in, the ratio tells the compressor how aggressive to be with pulling down on the fader, and the attack and release control how fast it kicks in and returns to normal respectively.

The other aspect of compression is how much headroom it frees up. If your track is spiking in spots, then you can't turn the track up without those spikes clipping and sounding like poo poo. When you compress those spikes away, it frees up room to increase the volume of the whole track, which is called "make-up gain". A lot of plugins have a setting to do this within the compressor too.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

How easy is it in EZ Drummer 2 to create your own "stock" loops? Or should I just look into getting Cubase because I saw some videos from Misha Mansoor where he used that and it looked easy as hell to create some decently human sounding drums.
Pretty easy. I like a lot of the features they added in 2 as well - like the ability to take a loop and dial up/down the complexity/number of hits for each drum and shift the power/leading hits around the set

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Hey recording friends, got a piece of gear here that I need a little advice on. I have an M-Audio Delta Omni I/O that I believe originally came with a Delta 66 PCI interface. I can't find the audio interface, but the Omni I/O has a DB15 (game port) connector that goes out to the computer.

Is there any chance I could just buy a DB15-to-USB connector, slap it on, and have it work? Or is there a chance M-Audio's pinout is totally different than what a USB adapter would expect? I got this I/O box for free about a decade ago, used it once and it's been in storage ever since. It's kind of a nice box, so I'd like to rehabilitate it back to usable form even if I just end up selling it and not using it.

Doubtful - I'm pretty sure most of the interface's guts are in the Delta card, since they used to sell that as a standalone with just breakout cables too. The Omni I/O is likely just a mixer/inputs/outputs.

I actually have an Omni/Delta66 combo in my computer right now that I'm probably gonna get rid of since I just picked up a USB Focusrite card that I'm digging a lot so far.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Is there a tutorial you would recommend? I've watched two now, a 13 minute one, and a 20 minute, and I'm still missing some basics, like how to use my cursor to select a portion of an audio track, and how to normalize audio.

When in doubt, right click on stuff. Reaper has tons of stuff jammed into context sensitive right click menus. For example, you can right click on a track to access normalizing, reversing, freezing, splitting, and tons on other commands.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

quote:

You don't necessarily need a pop screen if you teach yourself a bit about microphone technique.

I use a metal pop filter that I'm pretty happy with - a metal one might help with your smoke/smell concern.

I agree that good form is the best solution, but a pop filter is still a great/cheap insurance policy in case you let your guard down or you're recording someone else. Removing pops in post is a pain in the rear end.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I never knew that trick - I always used the packed-in REAtune plugin for pitch shifting.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

^ I like the idea too. I've been thinking of trying to put together some kind of "mix exchange" like that too - mixing my own stuff seems to stick me in a never-ending loop of tweaking and re-recording parts; I'd love to play around with someone else's tracks for a change.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

the Gaffe posted:

If you google around there's a ton of stems from full songs that people use to practice mixing with.

I guess I'm more interested in the collaborative aspect of it - seeing what people do with my tracks and getting their feedback on what I've done with theirs.

I tried "Duelling Mixes" through recordingrevolution.com for a few months, but I just couldn't get into the songs enough to really spend time on them. Hopefully that won't be an issue here with it being more of a back and forth dialog between artists.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

To hang the foam panels in my studio space, I used the recommended adhesive to stick the foam to foamcore panels, so I could then tack them to the walls with little finishing nails. It's worked great, especially since I've had to move them to a different room once already.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a free VST I can use to manually tune vocal notes? I'm not the best singer and I have a take that I'm almost happy with, but a couple of things need to be adjusted and the autotune things I've tried aren't getting it.

While I'm at it, any tips for getting nice dreamy backing vocal harmonies that are really hearable but still not too high in the mix? What I've got sounds ok and I've done a lot of EQ and reverb but I'm sure there's more I could be doing.

What DAW do you use? Reaper has one built in that’s pretty decent.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Anybody here use guitar pedals as send effects in your DAW? I have a reamp box on the way and I’m excited to play around with it.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I got Ozone Essentials recently with the free deal that popped up, and haven’t had a ton of time to play around with it yet, but now I have a coupon for Ozone Standard for $99. Is the upgrade worth it?
I have an older version of T-Racks that I use all the time already too - would it be senseless and redundant to spend the money on Ozone?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I run a 2i2 (2nd gen) and I have no trouble getting a good level with my dynamic mics (including a SM7). Definitely try using a normal XLR cable - I remember using one of those XLR - 1/4 cables in a PA setup before, and it pretty much halved the volume of the mic I was using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

I would recommend trying out a fuller-featured DAW - I use Reaper (which you can try for free, indefinitely if you want). Audacity is great for what it is, but you’re going to want something that you can live-audition stuff like EQ and compression in, and that is more multitrack-friendly.
As for the sync issues between your audio and video, are you noticing it after you’ve rendered out the video? Or is it when your previewing your composition in iMovie? If it’s the latter, it’s probably just your RAM/system getting bogged down while previewing, and it [i]should/i] be fine after you render.