Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hey now, V's character arc has nothing to do with her father. For all we know, he could be a kind, loving father who gave V lots of ice cream and pony rides.

V is the lovely parent in this case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Remember how Durkon was the most boring and uneventful character with a fairly boilerplate origin

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

I'm kinda feeling the opposite - I think this arc is a perfect encapsulation of why Durkon would want to be rez'ed. Because he knows that even if they stop Hel's scheme here, Xykon still remains a threat to the last Gate, and after dealing with him, the Snarl itself could become another potential threat to the world.

Sure, Durkon could let the Order/Hilgya kill him here, go on to Valhalla for living an honorable life and dying an honorable death after thwarting Hel's plans... but that wouldn't be Durkon to just turn his back on the rest of the world when he knows his help is still needed. If he were capable of that, he wouldn't have sacrificed his life for Belkar's.

If anything, I see him dying, maybe briefly getting to visit Valhalla, meeting his father there... and then he leaves when the Order finds a cleric to rez him (there's no guarantee Hilgya would be willing to do so), perhaps with his father asking him if he really has to go back and why can't he just stay and leave the fight to someone else? And Durkon responds that it wouldn't be right for him to just kick back in Valhalla and leave the problem up to someone else when he knows he can make a difference.

As Roy put it before they set out from Thor's temple, the Order doesn't need a cleric... it needs Durkon.

I mean, his mom just mentioned how it would've been senseless to pull his dad out of Valhalla so that's definitely setting up Durkon willingly leaving it to finish his duty with Xykon et al

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I literally cannot believe that after 15 years and thousands of comics people still spaz out and try to rationalize what Burlew does using the logic of the stupid board game instead of what makes narrative and dramatic sense

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cuntellectual posted:

What happens in the o-chul story?

He kicks a lot of rear end and over half of it doesn't even involve physical altercations

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It's the last book so a lot of questions are bound to get answered asap

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Alchenar posted:

And then you regenerate and things are awkward.

Do it the other way around. Because the phylactery contains your own soul that your rip out of your body whilst making it, any lich is compelled to regularly check up on it to make sure nothing bad has happened and just to gaze contemplatively into it.

That also gives you a template encounter for the PC's to investigate where it's hidden.

Like making double sure you turned off the stove and locked the door before you leave or when you suddenly pat your pocket to make sure your wallet is still with you, except times a million

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
OHHHH so THAT'S why the clerics of Thor hate trees

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

e X posted:

So, which one is the most fascist aspect of asoiaf, so we know what she will focus on?

I mean you have a lot of organizations she could hyper militarize and fetishise and make fascists. You got your night watch, the horse people, your golden company, any of the new armies popping up at the end of the book, it's a rich vein of creepy cult like love of the army she can mine

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The animals die or suffer but then find some measure of temporary happiness. There I spoiled it for you

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Man, now I'm nostalgic for the idealized and streamlined version of 8-Bit Theater that my mind has constructed over the years.

It probably holds up, clevingers a witty guy

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Black Mage becoming the literal embodiment of evil but still not having the heart to tell Fighter he's evil still gets to me

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I've read 200 strips of 8 Bit Theater so far and I gotta say, it does hold up although some of the humor is a bit dated because sprite comics are inherently a medium that ages poorly

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

IIRC at some point 1/3 to 1/2 through the art somehow actually improves.

Yeah, Clevinger starts doing some really colorful and sharp things with photoshop and he edits a lot of sprites in really creative ways

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Did he get really into John Kricfalusi? Because these days he draws like someone who got really into John Kricfalusi.

He is a Contrarian; lots of people complained about his art style so he's leaning hard into it and making it more repulsive on purpose

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh please by all means bring back the villains that have had millions of strips dedicated to them and have had every possible plot done and resolved, please we need more of Tarkin being a wacky evil man who read the evil overlord list

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't think you can really pin one theme to it but the one that's most prominent to me is about how everyone's family Dynamics is pretty hosed. Tbh a large part of the comic seems to be about how severing is good and cool

Specifically dads

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Hey now, we don't have confirmation varsuvious is a dad or a mom

We do because V did something monstrously lovely that affected their children like only a dad would so V dad so what

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The only one who had a good dad was Durkon because in stickworld the only good dad is a dead dad

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Right, but it's possible to have problems without having a bad dad. Why is Bad Dad so much more common than, for instance, Bad Mom?

I feel like it's an interesting question, if maybe an unanswerable one.
Daddy issues is an easy thing to write and show

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I am gonna go ahead and say that one of Odin's ramblings is a 100% valid prediction that will play an insanely important role during the endgame

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Nobody draws better Castration Planet citizens than him

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
At this point we don't need more twists and turns honestly

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not so sure Sphinx Pox are gonna be a throwaway gag, since I don't believe Rich Burlew can resist the temptation to introduce a riddle or several, but at the same time, it was an uncommonly ham-fisted way to not so much foreshadow it as plonk it right in your path.

That's pretty much what Hela is in this story

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Somehow can't revive him, boom shaggy dog story

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Durkon should've casted Bigsby's Room Reading

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Settle down nerds, Bigsby's the only one I know because he's the only one who I think has been mentioned in the strip

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh good lord I go cross eyed enough reading Durkon's accent, we don't need to double up on it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I thought it was supposed to be those cute shrieking frogs, but yeah just now realized it's probably more ingrained as a way to make fun of the differently abled

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
See this is the problem of this slow rear end burn comic strip. I can't recall a single goddamn thing about why they're in dwarf lands or what Hel's plan is

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
When was the last time we saw Xykon and the others

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I’m gonna do it guys
It’s gonna happen
I’m gonna reread the entire fucken thing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man rereading the thing and there is no way Banjo doesn’t play a role in a pivotal moment if you have all those orcs worshipping him and willing him into existence

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Of course the one good dad in the comic strip is the one guy who grew up dadless

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
A protean would fit with his whole journey of not being what Xykon expects him to be and instead being his own thing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Xykon knows what the MidT is, right? It was Xykon who gave him the umbrella.

Not what I meant

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Mitd is definitely this widdle guy I mean come on

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Not gonna lie it's aggravating having so many months of just recapping everything that's happened in the last couple of years

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Now how many of those updates were recaps for the benefit of what'sherface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I mean yes, sorry for being a dick over free entertainment, but it bums me out that it feels like months of comics have been recaps, but hopefully the pacing will pick up soon