Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Colon V posted:

Given what we know, he's probably arguing with some obscure Norse deity about who gets his soul based on the exact circumstances of his death.

Already covered! http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0874.html

Oddly enough, since I think vampirism is a disease, they'd be having the exact same argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

A whole lotta people seem beholden to rules that Rich has said multiple time get hand waved for story purposes. gently caress, Soon might as well have taken a moment of remembrance for those who were serving with him in the afterlife. Who gives a poo poo? The story progressed and it's not like it completely invalidates anything that went on in those comics. Soon had his last stand, Redcloak was Redcloak, and the final stand of the Sapphire Guard was epic as poo poo.

I can't believe we have to get mad about this poo poo.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

Belkar might be becoming a better person but he's also becoming a far less funny one, by this point I am okay with him dieing.

If you have a problem with someone who named their dinosaur Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator, you may as well be dead inside and I don't know what else to say to you.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Phenotype posted:

How would the rules work regarding Roy disrupting that guy's Horrid Wilting? All I know of D&D combat is from Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, where you actually have to sit there for a minute to cast a spell. But I thought in tabletop D&D, everyone just played out their own turn in sequence.

If you take damage while casting a spell, you need to make a concentration check to let the spell go off. The turn in D&D is a sequence but it's all supposed to be happening semi-simultaneously. A full round, once everyone has their turn in the initiative, is 6 seconds actual time.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Has Elan changed rapiers since he got Julio's weapon way back before Azure City? Because I can't think of anyone but Tarquin who would make a good Devil-King of Dinosaur Island. Of course all that's based on is him having a Dino army but, you know.. Julio's old weapon fighting an old for and all that.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Seldom Posts posted:

They got rid of sticks to snakes? This is heresy!

Pathfinder ended up bringing it back though, so all's well that ends well.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

To be fair his class's trait chart was: sociable, good story teller, technologically savvy; pick two(max). Need Writer(class) buff, tia.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Please please please let Laurin and/or Sabine pop in to knife Tarquin in the back right now. Suck meaningless death, rear end in a top hat!

I was on that bandwagon until this very page. Let him eat poo poo alone without his ending. It hurts him more than any death would.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Oddly enough, it could be a really weird callback to the fact that Earth exists as an alternate plane of reality to Oerth, where Greyhawk takes place. There's also a few other planes mentioned, if I recall right, but Gygax all but said way back when that Earth is a place as far as D&D is concerned.

Edit: Didn't realize we've been told that it's not Earth in the portal, possibly another of said planes though? Either way, I can't wait for all this to come to a halt in 3 comics for his usual book break.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

The Order of the Stick: Alignment Arguments Always Accrue Audaciously Awful Attitudes.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

So they put the giant blood in pouches or? :shrug:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Found this on Reddit and I'm ashamed I genuinely chuckled.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Parahexavoctal posted:

Now realize that tens of thousands of people have been killed as a direct result of arguments over this point.

Tens of thousands of people have been killed over which edition of the book you're supposed to be following.

Edition war never changes.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

VanSandman posted:

I started reading before they beat up Xykon the first time. I remember following a link from 8-Bit Theater, I think.

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I think I learned about Order of the Stick from 8-Bit Theater too.

nthing this. I remember that I started reading because Rich did a guest comic for 8BT and went down the rabbit hole. Seems like that was May of 04, so 15+ years reading this for me.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Venuz Patrol posted:

for some reason "Astos? More like yo rear end is toast!" has stuck in my brain for the past fifteen years

"Four White Mages? It'll never work!"

To this day

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

Polymorph Other isn't in 3.5e.

Polymorph is a spell that specifically affects other willing creatures, Baleful Polymorph is for unwilling creatures, and Alter Self lets you change yourself. They all have a time limit and aren't able to be cast with permanency though.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Taciturn Tactician posted:

"You... know my name?" I feel like him just calling you "Redcloak" isn't enough of an indication of that, since it's top three nicknames someone would come up for you if they didn't know your real name.

I feel like a lot of this comes from his upbringing where adventures just snuffed goblins without caring. Even if it isn't his name, an enemy just had enough respect to bother knowing his name. For a guy working to fix the issue of "throw away" races, that seems a big point of showing that Durkon considers him to be an equal and not just another random goblin lackey.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

FMguru posted:

Nah. Speaking is a free action in 3.5e. Literally no game time has passed since the Redcloak changed the height of his seat.

Rich has said that he doesn't even really use the rules as any sort of in-comic law of the universe anymore so that point is mute. Talking as a free action is fine when a ten minute turn takes up 6 seconds of game time but not when trying to put together a narrative.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Link to $12 pdf for anyone who hasn't read it.

Rich's SEO is, unsurprisingly, low key; a google just turns up lovely pirate links.

In fact, I'll buy this for the first three people to quote this post bc I love this story so much.

I'll do so as well!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I mean let's be honest, there's a binary in combat in D&D as well for pass/fail. You just sometimes get pass/fail harder. A lot of it is predicated on what effort the DM wants to put into it. D&D lives and dies on what you make of it more than any other system and shifts the effort onto the DM to actually grey the lines. You absolutely can fail forward or pass poorly in D&D but like everything else that makes for memorable D&D games, it's certainly not codefied into the rules.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

This being the door the gate is behind doesn't seem to fit with the pattern Rich has of subverting expectations. It's too obvious for him to go that route, I think.

This being where they find out that the MitD has been loving around to slow them down absolutely can and will happen here.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

MitD, my old friend
I wonder what you are again.
A thing of wonder in rule books of old?
A homebrew creature as of yet untold?
And the guesses of the thing that you are are pained
You still remain
The Monster in the Darkness

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I feel like that bottom one doesn't match up to Girard's tattoo enough from when we see him but Dorukan uses sigils to seal his gate up. Could be something similar.

We also don't know what the relationship of the 2 people living here is aside from a neatly made bed and a sort of sloppy beanbag bed area.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

In early D&D the "/xx" was for exceptional strength. It was only available to fighters iirc and the higher the number, the higher the bonuses you got to hit and damage. 19 STR and up was generally only for monsters.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

3.0 was a land of "your class' immersion trumps fun" so yeah, I always read that as you lose access to all other domains because you made a pinky promise to be an ambulance.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

The only way I see this resolving in a single book is if the "final battle" kicks off in the next four or five strips. There's too many balls in the air and even if some of them are dealt with perfunctorially (a monster in the shadow reveal is a good bet for an anticlimax joke), a lot of them need some space to breathe. But maybe Rich has the ending plotted out down to the panel and it's all set up...

At this point, i doubt Rich has any space for anything else in his outline if he doesn't have it completely plotted already. At minimum we need to deal with:

Xykon
Redcloak
MitD
The IFCC
Eugene
The Snarl

and that's a list just off the top of my head. I'm absolutely sure there's another plot hook or three dangling that I'm forgetting about. Rich has stated that this is gonna be the final book, though, so I'm sure it's gonna be closer to 300 pages than 250 given what we still got left if he touches on everything. I just don't see him going back on that and doing another 300+ pages to get another book out of it.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

And I'm not necessarily sure of this list that Eugene needs more than like a page. Especially if people are overthinking the extent Eugene's meddling is "bad" vs him trying to find a way of helping that Roy won't reject out of hand that doesn't just get brushed off ultimately.

I feel like Eugene's arc isn't actually going to be over until his meddling directly leads to Xykon's (temporary) victory. His entire character so far is based around having learned nothing and even after Roy told him off, he just went and found a new avenue to try and interfere. He is inherently selfish and the general trope for a character arc would be him to be forced to face how it directly kept him from getting what he wants. It's been a large and consistent enough thread through the story that I feel like it needs to be resolved. If he actually wanted to help Roy, or show that he learned anything at all, he wouldn't have resorted to deception to do it.

As for Tarquin, the entire point of his character arc ending was to show that for all he thinks he does, he doesn't matter in the least. I would be more surprised if we saw him again than if he never showed up.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

I would make it that when it gets hit with fire, everything in a 5 ft radius takes the same amount of fire damage to simulate the fire feeding on the pure O2 but that's just me

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Contrary to the popular factoid that circulates nowadays, elf/dwarf/hobbit (later halfling)weren't classes in White Box DnD; they were indeed races.

e: the source of the confusion is likely DnD's precursor, the fantasy add-on for Chainmail, which added elves, dwarves, wizards, dragons, balrogs, etc. as optional units to be deployed in the medieval wargame, each with their own point value

You're correct that they weren't a class in White Box D&D. A later revision of the D&D Basic Set, the Red Box by Moldvay, had Dwarf, Elf, and Halfling as classes. This was a revision to the Basic Set rules and was meant to help streamline it and, if I remember correctly, act as a stepping stone to AD&D which was also being printed at the time.

https://archive.org/details/set-1-basic-rules-box-set/page/n25/mode/1up

Robviously fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Lousy Smarch Prophesy