Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Villain was a 13/11 nit, who has 4 bet a whopping 1/65 times and folded to 92% of 3 bets. Can I find a fold on this river?

As soon as he flatted the 3 bet I was pretty sure his range consisted of 1010/jj/AK and possibly but very unlikely AA/KK.

On flop I'm pretty sure he folds out AK, being a nit and all.

The turn I think is still a call even though it nuts his 1010, because he could be trying to protect his JJ vrs AK and spades and with a ten on board that leaves twice as many combos as of jj then 1010.

On the river im getting shoved into my a nit getting slightly better then 2/1 in a 3 bet pot at NL25.

Can I fold? I really really wanted to? But I realize I also have a bit of a comfirmation bias going on here. Also I have no reads one if this guy value shoves over pairs in this spot.

MERGE_GAME #4471102900501: Holdem NL $0.10/$0.25 12/05/2011 14:38:32
Table Tijuana (44711029)
Seat 1: JJgetsCARDS ($29.68 in chips)
Seat 2: TimBiakabatuka ($25.00 in chips) DEALER
Seat 3: LastFlowers ($40.63 in chips)
Seat 4: nenezen ($8.75 in chips)
Seat 5: ISTHISREALLIFE ($44.36 in chips)
Seat 6: AAtobill ($25.25 in chips)
LastFlowers: Post SB $0.10
nenezen: Post BB $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to LastFlowers [Qd Qh]
ISTHISREALLIFE: Fold
AAtobill: Raise $0.75
JJgetsCARDS: Fold
TimBiakabatuka: Fold
LastFlowers: Raise $2.25
nenezen: Fold
AAtobill: Call $1.50
*** FLOP *** [2d 5s 7c]
LastFlowers: Bet $3.12
AAtobill: Call $3.12
*** TURN *** [Ts]
LastFlowers: Check
AAtobill: Bet $5.49
LastFlowers: Call $5.49
*** RIVER *** [7d]
AAtobill: Allin $14.39
LastFlowers: Call $14.39
*** SUMMARY ***
AAtobill: Shows [Tc Th]
LastFlowers: Shows [Qd Qh]
AAtobill: wins $48.22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah, I thought about the hand today at work and realized check calling is the worst way to play it. Given that I miss value the from the JJ if he checks behind with it , and get stacked by the full house every time he has 10s.

I had been 3 betting the guy a ton, but one question. If I'm not 3 betting premiums should I care if my range is unbalanced entirely towards trash?

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Blinky2099 posted:

I don't think anyone is calling with worse if we bet multiway.

I think you have the best hand here most of the time, and you will be amazed at what people will call you with. Especially when you lead out on a 3 of spades after checking twice.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Blinky2099 posted:

Hand 1: http://weaktight.com/4175011

Had a bunch of notes on villain but he left before I could copy them down for this and I don't know where they're stored. The only one I remember is something like "limp/called Q3o UTG".

I'm guessing villain has a range mostly weighted towards 2 pair and sets. He's been playing very loose passive preflop.

Well right off the bat were getting slighty better then five to one on expressed odds and we improve to the nuts one out of six times on the turn.

If the guy is limping q3 he is never folding two pair or sets on the turn. So we can just ship the 1.66 effective when we get there and expect to be called pretty much always. We also have a pretty easy fold if the turn bricks for us unless he bets really tiny. He is going to get there on the river a decent amount of the time when we do improve, but overall I'm pretty sure calling then shipping if we improve is plus ev. I'd like to stove it, but my desktop monitor died on me today.

The other two hands are pretty gross spots and I don't feel qualified to give you an answer.

Also min raises are generally really strong hands, or weak made hands trying to buy a cheap showdown. Make a note of what he has if the hand gets that far.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 13, 2011

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

MERGE_GAME #4558108300033: Holdem NL $0.05/$0.10 12/20/2011 12:50:30
Table Lima (45581083), Seats 6
Seat 1: RoofusLeakin ($9.13 in chips)
Seat 2: iHeartDiamondz ($11.00 in chips)
Seat 3: LastFlowers ($10.58 in chips)
Seat 4: crick170 ($8.95 in chips)
Seat 5: utlife ($10.17 in chips)
Seat 6: jackjones76 ($9.65 in chips) DEALER
RoofusLeakin: Post SB $0.05
iHeartDiamondz: Post BB $0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to LastFlowers [Ac Tc]
LastFlowers: Raise $0.30
crick170: Call $0.30
utlife: Raise $1.18
jackjones76: Call $1.18
RoofusLeakin: Call $1.13
iHeartDiamondz: Fold
LastFlowers: Call $0.88
crick170: Call $0.88
*** FLOP *** [6h 8c 7c]
RoofusLeakin: Check
crick170: Bet $1.50
utlife: Allin $8.99
jackjones76: Fold
RoofusLeakin: Allin $7.95
LastFlowers: Allin $9.40
crick170: Fold
*** TURN *** [4d]
*** RIVER *** [5s]
*** SUMMARY ***
RoofusLeakin: Shows [9s As]
LastFlowers: Shows [Ac Tc]
utlife: Shows [9d 9h]
LastFlowers: wins $0.41
utlife: wins $1.98
utlife: wins $14.89
RoofusLeakin: wins $14.89

I'm pretty much always folding A10 suited to a 3 bet from someone who isn't 3 betting all that much. BUT two massive fish call here, and I thought I suddenly have the implied odds I need to play the hand. Am I wrong for thinking this?.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MERGE_GAME #4553323901387: Holdem NL $0.05/$0.10 12/20/2011 13:10:37
Table Lima (45533239), Seats 6
Seat 1: SnapShooter ($15.23 in chips)
Seat 2: lapince ($10.00 in chips) DEALER
Seat 4: LastFlowers ($17.07 in chips)
Seat 5: ProtectYourNuts ($14.75 in chips)
Seat 6: Crimsontrace3 ($9.89 in chips)
LastFlowers: Post SB $0.05
ProtectYourNuts: Post BB $0.10
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to LastFlowers [Td Tc]
Crimsontrace3: Fold
SnapShooter: Fold
lapince: Raise $0.30
LastFlowers: Raise $1.10
ProtectYourNuts: Call $1.00
lapince: Fold
*** FLOP *** [Js 2s Jd]
LastFlowers: Bet $1.45
ProtectYourNuts: Call $1.45
*** TURN *** [Jc]
ProtectYourNuts: Bet $3.00
LastFlowers: Call $3.00
*** RIVER *** [2c]
ProtectYourNuts: Bet $8.50
LastFlowers: ?????????????

Villain was 21/17. Is anyone really cold calling a 3 bet with AJ/KJ? I had been 3 betting a ton though. QQ was the hand that worried me the most, as was JJ before the 3rd jack fell. We were pretty deep here and I don't expect him to be bluffing for pot which had me leaning towards a fold. On the other hand its just sooooooo hard for him to have a hand here seeing how KK/AA and sometimes QQ 4-bet Preflop.

Also I had a note that the villain called me down on dry boards with under pairs twice. He doesn't like to give up. But in those situations he was calling or checking behind and not turning his hands into bluffs.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 20, 2011

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

After taking a shower I started thinking that if hes calling me down light I should probably be bet/folding turn, river. Unfortunately that would also have me folding jacks full getting huge odds. I'm finding myself in these spots with over pairs a lot and I really really don't know what to do.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 20, 2011

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Thanks, I think I'm just being results oriented that he showed up with AJ of hearts. I think my line was terrible considering he calls me with a ton of poo poo that checks behind.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Fold, there is literally zero hands hes doing this with for value that you are beating. You have a very pretty bluff catcher.

The more I think about this hand the more I'm starting to think that villain did show a bluff. And thats why you are wondering if folding is correct.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 21, 2011

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

I haven't been drinking, I'm just saying if I had been AJ would still be about a 6/10.

But you always give solid advice, so imma go ahead and follow it.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

discstickers posted:

The villain was very LAG. Next hand he stacks two players with KQ vs QT vs a ace-high flush draw on a Qxx board. He proceeded to bluff off $500 over the next hour.

This read means nothing in regards to the hand unless you have a time machine. Do you? I really wanna go see At-the-drive-in.

This happens a lot in poker where you sit down at a table, have a pretty good hand, and get raised off it by an unknown. A few orbits later you see it happen a few more times or he gets to showdown with something that makes no sense what so ever and you say "Oh hes just a really bad aggressive, I guess I made a bad fold, and should probably quit playing this game because I'm clearly no good at it AT ALL!"

But the thing is, you didn't have that read when you made your original fold. You have to make assumptions about other players you know nothing about when you first play with them, and a pretty good assumption to make is "This guy isn't going to bluff off his entire stack to me 4 hands into a session on a board wetter then my sexually unsatisfied fiance's vagina.

There really is nothing at all you can do about this, and figuring out how to play against a player you have zero history with is a problem that everyone has and everyone always will have, don't sweat it at all.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 21, 2011

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Live $50/100 game.
Eff stacks ~$50k. Game has been running short handed a while and villain is tricky and aggro.

Hero has A:c:9:c:

Hero on BTN opens $500. BB calls.

Flop: A:s:9:s:8:c: ($1050)

BB check-calls $2000 on flop

Turn: 9:d: ($5050)

Check Check

River: 2:s: ($5050)

BB bets $15000

Hero ?

Against an average player I would probably try trapping. But I think villain is to smart for that. So I really like the over bet. It looks like we are trying to buy it.

Turn makes it look like villain is on flush draw. We could bet giving him a good price on it knowing full well hes drawing dead, but checking and praying a spade falls on the river is also acceptable.

On the river after the flush gets there (and villain bets his flush), I would probably hit the time so villain thinks we have a tough decision (us in the know poker players call this a "hollywood"). Then after almost timing out I make sure to ship the rest of my chips in expecting to be called by a flush.

Dr. Eat posted:

^^hero says "I know you got it kid" and open-folds for meta-game ldo. though he calls if the villain isn't eastern-european.

You did this better then me.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 22, 2011

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Well we are talking about being committed. The original better on the river was a bad aggro. The guy who shipped it was on the nitty side. Can we fold getting 7-1 knowing a bluff is incredibly unlikely and his value range crushes ours when he 4 bets?

I didnt see it at the time but zerostar pointed out, sets are unlikely here with this many draws out.

MERGE_GAME #4567250500366: Holdem NL $0.10/$0.25 12/22/2011 03:40:20
Table Tijuana (45672505), Seats 6
Seat 1: LastFlowers ($29.98 in chips)
Seat 2: Beepeep ($58.67 in chips)
Seat 3: poonaniboy ($29.47 in chips)
Seat 4: ercholo ($5.70 in chips) DEALER
Seat 5: CravingCards ($14.60 in chips)
Seat 6: Ipoopinmypants ($42.21 in chips)
CravingCards: Post SB $0.10
Ipoopinmypants: Post BB $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to LastFlowers [Ac Ts]
LastFlowers: Raise $0.75
Beepeep: Fold
poonaniboy: Call $0.75
ercholo: Fold
CravingCards: Raise $1.25
Ipoopinmypants: Call $1.00
LastFlowers: Call $0.50
poonaniboy: Call $0.50
*** FLOP *** [7s As 8h]
CravingCards: Check
Ipoopinmypants: Check
LastFlowers: Bet $3.00
poonaniboy: Call $3.00
CravingCards: Fold
Ipoopinmypants: Call $3.00
*** TURN *** [4c]
Ipoopinmypants: Check
poonaniboy: Check
*** RIVER *** [Td]
Ipoopinmypants: Bet $8.00
LastFlowers: Raise $16.00
poonaniboy: Allin $25.22
Ipoopinmypants: Fold
LastFlowers: Call $9.22
*** SUMMARY ***
poonaniboy: Shows [Js 9s]
LastFlowers: Shows [Ac Ts]
poonaniboy: wins $69.44

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 22, 2011

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

opps

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Until the guy gives you a reason not to c bet, just do it.

People have to play back a metric ton for it not to be profitable.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

This is the first hand with villain.

Generally tiny 4 bets on these stakes are usually the nuts. Some players will 4-bet bluff but not a whole lot.

Given that his 4-bet is small here and is usually gonna be AA/KK is flatting with JJ for sets ok here? (Im guessing it isn't, but I am honestly not sure)

I was planning on folding to the flop c bet when the flop came sans J, but then the flop also came sans c-bet. The pot was pretty large even still so I figured he could be check shoving a lot of the time.

I think not betting the turn was pretty bad but I checked behind for the same reason as the flop.

Once he checked the river I was pretty sure he no longer had an over pair but either AK or a 4 bet bluff and I almost always have the best hand now. So I bet 2 dollars figuring I would get called every time by a big ace and maybe to induce something spewy from a thinking player with complete air (Seeing how a thinking player would think that my line makes no sense what so ever).

(the only argument against this is he was an unknown player so I don't know if hes really bad. And I have seen really bad players min raise aces and check them every street.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
PokerStars - $0.25 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com

CO: $36.09
BTN: $25.25
SB: $25.00
Hero (BB): $25.35

UTG: $15.20
MP: $17.95

SB posts SB $0.10, Hero posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero has Jd Jc

fold, fold, fold, fold, SB raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $2.25, SB raises to $5.25, Hero calls $3.00

Flop: ($10.50, 2 players) 8s 9s 5c
SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($10.50, 2 players) 3d
SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($10.50, 2 players) 7c
SB checks, Hero bets $2.00, SB raises to $19.75 and is all-in, Hero calls $17.75

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Thanks for the advice, the pre-flop/flop was what I was wondering about as I had a feeling I played it terribad in those spots.

I snap called the river because the 2 dollar bet was meant to get called by AK or induce a spaz. He showed AQ off and I said a silent thank you to DJ Sensei and Venessa Selbst.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 26, 2012

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

I had incredibly bad table image after 5-bet shoving 910s into kings 5 hands earlier. So at no point in this hand was I considering folding.

Just curious if I should be shipping flop, turn or giving him one more chance to bluff the river.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3: http://www.pokertracker.com

CO: $10.00
Hero (BTN): $49.05
SB: $31.38
BB: $44.08
UTG: $25.00
MP: $36.56

SB posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero has Qd Qh

fold, MP raises to $0.75, fold, Hero raises to $2.25, fold, fold, MP calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.85, 2 players) 8c 9s 8s
MP checks, Hero bets $2.75, MP raises to $7.25, Hero calls $4.50

Turn: ($19.35, 2 players) 4s
MP bets $10.75, Hero raises to $38.00, fold

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Bashez posted:

I wanted it to look bluffy.

Results: He called with KQ

Mission accomplished I suppose, I laughed pretty hard at the spoiler.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Rexpop posted:

Can hero fold here?

Unless he is really really spazzy you should probably fold here (and as you said hes been playing alot of hands but not taking them to show down, so this likely isn't the case). Heres why we fold.

His value range if hes not a retard is going to be straights and boats.

Now the ratio of boats to straights (that you chop with) is entirely dependent on what kind of hands hes flatting 3 bets with. If hes flatting 3bets with AK/AQ 88-QQ as a lot of players do because they dont like getting it in with these hands, but don't like folding them either, then his value range is most likely gonna be....

6 Combos of AK, which you chop with.
4 combos of QQ/JJ which you lose EVERYTHING too.
(I am leaving out the unlikely but still possible oddly played AA/1010 or KK)

So a lot of the time you will be risking 200, to win 100, when you lose everything 40% of the time.

If we widen his flatting range to include KQ which would nicen up your equity just a touch, then we would probably have to add AJs too which would again gently caress it up.

The TLDR of this is don't call for a chop (even when its the most likely outcome) when it isn't the nuts.

(this is the first time I have tried to apply combinatorics to a hand, so If I hosed it up my apologies)

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 1, 2012

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Its worth noting that even with questionable math and ranges working in your favor its still a fold.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

I thought multi-table regs on stars that lose like 8k over 1.5 million hands actually make a poo poo ton of money from the vip program.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Villain is a 20/19 Tag hasn't done anything note worthy (that I noticed) in 60 hands, BB is a huge fish.

I look really strong double barreling into two players, especially if one is a huge fish who isn't doing much folding. King nine isn't in the tags range and KK/QQ is incredibly unlikely as he didn't 3 bet preflop and there is only one combo of each. I'm pretty sure his value range consists of J10s, 33, and KQ, and I'm drawing to 4 outs or a chop if this is a raise for value.

I am somewhat deep with villain so is calling here and shoving our four outer if it gets there a decent plan?

Also is this what people are talking about when they say relative hand strength? When villains value range has me crushed and my top two pair hand is essentially a bluff catcher/4 outer.

PokerStars - $0.25 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

Hero (UTG): $51.10
CO: $25.00
BTN: $36.10
SB: $25.85
BB: $39.31

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero has K:diamond: Q:heart:

Hero raises to $0.75, fold, BTN calls $0.75, fold, BB calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.35, 3 players) K:spade: Q:diamond: 3:heart:
BB checks, Hero bets $1.50, BTN calls $1.50, fold

Turn: ($5.35, 2 players) 9:spade:
Hero bets $3.00[, BTN raises to $6.75, HERO??????

I'd also like to note that this hand happened during a sweat session, and am in no way taking credit for a big lay down. But it took me a day to see why it was right, and wanted to confirm the reasons for it.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 11, 2012

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

The pot is going to be 18.85 on the river, and I will probably have to stack off if I plan on check calling any blank river.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

It would be spade rivers we fold correct? And what size bet should we be willing to call on the river?

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

I was thinking during the hand that a semibluff is unlikely just because of the fish. I know if I had AJ/A10 spades in that spot I would be calling on implied odds alone because of the fish coming along and drawing to the second best hand. I would also be worried about the fish having already got there with all the J10s happily in his range, or me having already got there as J10s is definitely in mine.

But I was thinking today that I might be giving the guy way to much credit. (sixty hands and he hadn't done anything that I noticed as overly exploitable, but most of my attention was garnered towards the BB)

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 11, 2012

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

nope

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

well, I'm an idiot

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

I think this is pretty standard but I wanted a line check.

Villain is a pretty huge/passive fish, folds alot to c bets, but sticks around if he catches any half decent piece of the flop.

I had no idea what the half pot river bet meant but it looked like a blocking bet, is shipping for value here fine?

PokerStars - $0.25 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players

SB: $10.00
BB: $12.01
UTG: $52.18
CO: $17.57
Hero (BTN): $25.92

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero has 7:heart: 5:heart:

fold, CO calls $0.25,Hero raises to $0.75, fold, fold, CO calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.85, 2 players) 4:club: 3:spade: J:heart:
CO checks, Hero bets $1.00, CO calls $1.00

Turn: ($3.85, 2 players) 6:club:
CO checks, Hero bets $2.50, CO calls $2.50

River: ($8.85, 2 players) 3:club:
CO bets $4.75, Hero raises to $16.25, CO calls $8.57 and is all-in

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Also, has anyone else been noticing people checking back the flop, then raising a turn bet, only to fold to a re-raise, a river bet, or show down a pure bluff?

Cause its happened to me like 4 times today and I'm wondering if its some new thing.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Dr. Eat posted:

if he does put me on a hand like tens-jacks (which calling flop and turn is fine with against described villain), and he has a worse queen than me, than yea he should be checking one street.

Perry Bible Fellowship posted:

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

I'm not sure exactly what to do in this spot but i figured I would post my thoughts anyways. If someone more qualified could lend a hand that would be appreciated cause the spot does seem pretty gross.

I think 4 betting/folding or just folding is best.

If the guy is 3 betting as light as you think, hes probably going to fold down to premiums. Also 4-betting usually folds out the fish, protecting his stack for later.

Also I noted your original reason for flatting was to keep the fish in, but keep in mind your skill advantage shrinks along side the STP ratios. Don't get me wrong your still going to have an edge over him, but is it enough that its going to be worth guessing for your stack against the reg?

On the flop you gotta remember that not only is he c-betting, but hes c-betting into you and a fish oop. So I would call if hes shown to be a bad aggresive player, but against a competent aggressive player I would fold.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 1, 2012

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Before I say anything I'd just like to note, in no way do I think I know better then you or anyone here. I just like posting what I would do because it almost always gets torn to shreds and I am almost always better player for it. Albeit with slightly less self esteem, which is ok because I gave up any pride I had years ago when I started playing Magic the Gathering again.

Also I posted that gif because I figured as long as we were just empty quoting appeals to authority without explaining how it relates to the subject at hand, why not go with the greatest authority of them all.

Dr. Eat posted:

An important concept that Baluga Whale talked about is that fish have timers over their heads and will basically stack off to someone when the timer runs out (like they can't fold overpair to obvious straight or flush/they hit trips with J2 on T22 vs someone else's TT). Perserving the fish's stack shouldn't be anyone's goal.

My thinking on this was by four betting the fish folds, and we prevent him from getting stacked vrs the reg if the reg actually has a legit hand. (thus preserving the timer over his head). I still think this reasoning is solid, but now realize this is outweighed by our huge implied odds being so deep and all and one of the players being such a terrible player and all.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Dr. Eat posted:

you really want to spend 50-60bbs to do this? plus another 50+ bbs if we get flatted by either player and need to cbet?

I don't think its nearly that costly. The only way its costing us 50bbs+ is if we get 5-bet and we fold every time. We do win a fair amount of the time with just the 4 bet.

And just to be clear I'm not defending 4 betting in this spot I get that its wrong (now) given how deep we are and how good our hand is. But I still don't understand why folding out the fish vs the reg isn't something we should be trying to do.

Dr. Eat posted:

There is no reason to ever try and protect a fish.

Dr. Eat posted:

An important concept that Baluga Whale talked about is that fish have timers over their heads and will basically stack off to someone when the timer runs out

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 3, 2012

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

I saw it in a DC video and have been misapplying the concept.

The way I understood it was one of two things usually happens.

1. I take the pot with the 4-bet.

2. Reg 5 bets, I fold, fish folds. Having the fish stay at the table rather then being in a spot where he might bust ads to the EV of the 4 bet bluff.

I get why this is bad now when we have a hand with real showdown value.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Ashenai posted:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed)

Calling preflop is terribad.

You can forget about the immediate odds when you consider your hand has terrible reverse implied odds.

First of all you are out of position so its going to be really really hard to win the pot without making the best hand.

You will probably be good on most jack high boards but when you are not its going to cost you a ton to find out.

So really your trying to flop a flush or two pair or trips then get paid with them. And even then you are gonna have the second best flush, second best two pair (or counterfeited), second best trip jacks some of the time when you get it in.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 12, 2012

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Rob Filter posted:

The range you put him on OTT for min raising is wrong, fish don't min raise TP OTT after calling flop. His range here is polarized to pretty much only 2pair+, and we beat 0 combo's of 2pair, so easy fold.

I get min raised by fish on the turn by weak top pair hands all the time. Also mid pair/gut shots and all sorts of weird stuff.

But really just fold preflop.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 25, 2012

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

This was pretty weird. We are raising/calling it off every time correct?

PokerStars - $0.25 NL (6 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 6 players

Hero (BTN): $25.00
SB: $3.18
BB: $38.73
UTG: $55.74
MP: $66.97
CO: $29.36

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero has 3:club: A:club:

fold, MP raises to $0.50, fold, Hero raises to $1.50, fold, fold, MP calls $1.00

Flop: ($3.35, 2 players) 6:club: 7:club: 6:diamond:
MP bets $4.75Hero ?????

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 6, 2012

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Anyone down to trade sweat sessions? I know I still have a ton of leaks and some should be pretty obvious to everyone but me. I also feel I play alot better when I have to explain myself.

For the record I'm a 25NL 1bb/100 rake back clown (and thats with bonus's).

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Baller fold.

Blinky2099 posted:

I don't like sweating as much as HH review but I'd do either. Playing 9max micros just to practice for live $1/2 and $2/5 9-max. ksnewland@gmail.com, PM, or skype ksnewland

I've never really took much time to look at my own hand histories. I know this is terrible and I'd like to start doing more poker home work instead of just reading easy game over and over mixed with a bit of coaching.

So I will go play hundred hands RIGHT THIS MINUTE then review the results and type up my thinking on any significant hand then ship the results to your e-mail.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Well here is 2 hands from the session I'm not to sure about.

Hand One

Villain was 17/12 and was 3/3 for folding to 3 bets. I was 3-betting him with with slightly below my calling range because so far he seemed to favor folding over calling. I will note that my calling range was way looser in this spot on account on a 30/10 fishy guy in the bb.

Usually when I see people flat 3 bets its a hand that isn't good enough enough to 4-bet get it in but really doesn't want to 4-bet/fold. So this is pretty arbitrary but its the best I can come up with without seeing any showdowns so far but I figure his range to be 88-jjs, qq AQ KQs, possibly KQ or QJs.

So we flop pretty drat good with a FD middle pair, but the flop also smacks the poo poo out of his range. We do have a blocker to middle set. I was alright at the time with bet/shoving on the flop to collect dead money so that was my plan.

My problem in hindsight with how I played the hand is that I don't really have any fold equity after I get called on the flop. I fired the turn because the king hit and its a scare card and I still have equity from the pair + flush draw. But even pairing the 7 or tripping up with the 10 seems like it has terrible reverse implied odds.

Hero (SB): $26.25
BB: $24.32
UTG: $18.62
MP: $25.60
CO: $28.10
BTN: $25.00

Hero posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero has 7:spade: T:spade:

fold, fold, CO raises to $0.75, fold, Hero raises to $2.00, fold, CO calls $1.25

Flop: ($4.25, 2 players) J:spade: T:club: 3:spade:
Hero bets $2.50, CO calls $2.50

Turn: ($9.25, 2 players) K:heart:
Hero bets $5.00, CO raises to $23.60 and is all-in, fold

----------------------------------------------------------------

Villain is the 30/10 fishy guy who was kind enough to fold in the first hand who is now on the button. He seemed on the passive side but on the river after every draw missed getting almost 3-1 am I good enough often enough to call here? I didn't have any notes about him betting missed draws or anything of the sort. But I did have a note that he liked to play pretty much everything remotely suited/connected. I had seen him call on the button earlier with 4-7dd. That adds a tons of missed FDS to his range, but also a bunch of 10s.

Him checking back the turn on a draw heavy board makes the trips less believable.

Hero (CO): $25.16
BTN: $10.93
SB: $19.82
BB: $25.00
UTG: $29.52
MP: $29.18

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero has 7:heart: 8:spade:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.75, BTN calls $0.75, SB calls $0.65, fold

Flop: ($2.50, 3 players) T:spade: 5:spade: 8:diamond: