Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm debating changing one of my current machines from a standalone torrent box/PS3 Media Server host to a HTPC. It's a few years old, quad core Intel Q9300 with 6 gigs of RAM. Any recommendations for cases that I could transfer that full sized mobo/processor into that would look nice in a TV stand along with my stereo and Xbox? Or would I be better off finding a different MicroATX motherboard and just starting over again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So I got a $220 Amazon gift card and I'm thinking of getting a HTPC setup going. What's the best bang for my buck right now? I'd like to stream media using XBMC (or Plex, haven't fooled around with it much yet) from my media server, and I'd like it to be very Mame/Emulator friendly. I have a 2.5" regular hard drive (non SSD) already, so wouldn't need to invest in that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I ordered it from Amazon, was $140 direct fro Amazon (more buying choices) but ships in 3-5 weeks, which is fine with me since it would be that long before I started working on putting everything together anyway.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So does anyone have a recommendation for a good Emulator front end for a HTPC? Primarily using MAME, NES, Genesis and SNES. I've seen a few out there that look nice but cost a bit, which I'm not opposed to if they are well reviewed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I have a giant rear end desktop computer that I'm currently only using as a torrent box / Plex server. I am thinking of transferring the mobo/CPU/RAM from it's current giant rear end case to a more shelf component type case, rather than building a new HTPC. Anyone have any recommendations? Would need to be able to contain a full size ATX motherboard and processor. It currently has a Radeon HD5450 graphics card too, so I'd like to be able to house that as well. Is Silverstone still the go-to for HTPC cases?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Huzzah, transferred my old PC into the new HTPC case (thanks for the Node 605 recommendations, it works perfectly). Now time to clean up the inside and zip tie everything together. Plex works beautifully.

Question, and this might not be the right thread for it, but I watch a lot of my TV shows on lunch on my regular computer and it's easiest just to click and watch the video file. Are there any Media Player or VLC add ons that can mark those episodes "watched" in Plex when they're just opened via explorer?

Also, any recommendations for an emulation front end or add on for Plex?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone have a recommendation for an improved heatsink for the Node 605? My normal go to of Cooler MasterHyper 212 is going to end up being too high.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

V for Vegas posted:

The anandtech review says it has serious heat issues - does it just need an aftermarket heatsink installed?

I just built one (q9700 processor moved into the Node 605 case). It was heating up like crazy - I threw this one in and now it's doing much better.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

V for Vegas posted:

If it's struggling with just stock cooling the CPU, a graphics card would be out of the question.

Well to be fair, that PC had been running non-stop in it's old case for 3+ years. When I took the stock off, it DEFINITELY needed some paste.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

What's the best option for a HTPC remote that can power on a PC? I have it routed through my Onkyo r2295 receiver. I'm open to physical remotes or attachments that sync with a smartphone.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Horn posted:

I've been using the Antec veris for a few years and it works pretty well. It hooks into the power button header on your motherboard so it works just as if you pressed the power button on your case. If you're running windows the software for the receiver is okay at best.

I believe newegg sells them as well.

Yeah unfortunately the Node case I use doesn't have an external bay. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Don't lots of these streamers have those services?

If you're not streaming your own content from your own server or local storage what other point for an HTPC has there ever been?

Emulation!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

I'm trying to figure this out with my Chromecast, and I can't find many options for streaming content on my PC to the TV, using my phone as a remote. I can stream content from the PC to the TV, but I would need my keyboard and mouse to select the files. Can the Chromecast just work with PLEX or PlayOn to do this? I'd buy the software, but it just doesn't seem clear on which one would be easier to use. Both don't allow a trial or free mode to use the phone to pc stuff.

The best option would allow control of the Chromecast from iOS and Android apps so my wife and I can both use it from our phones. I didn't realize how much of the phone was used with a chromecast, I was hoping it would be a little HTPC you plugged into your computer and could do stuff with, but it seems limited to what your phone can do.

Plex is ideal for this. You have to have the server going on a PC, but you use the phone as a remote and the Chromecast picks it up. I love it, and haven't turned on my HTPC since I got the Chromecast.

Spend the $5, or wait, it's free on Amazon every once in a while.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hughlander posted:

iOS app is a free app though it crashes a lot and can be frustratingly slow at finding the chronecasts sometimes. To the point where I'm just going to get a nexus player for the remote.

The Plex app? It's not free...$5 just like Android.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plex/id383457673?mt=8

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I wrote a bash script that does a bunch of random Bing searches and it gets enough every couple weeks for a free month.

Just make sure you spend your points and don't hoard them. I got banned for botting doing the same thing and foolishly had accumulated a ton of points via referrals and laziness in not spending them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Right now the Xbox 360 wired controller is on sale for $25.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Demonachizer posted:

This is sort of related to HTPC I think (at least tangentially). I have a pretty nice A/V receiver at my house and I can stream audio to it from any of my computers using the "play to" context menu if the audio file is associated with Windows Media Player. I am wondering if there is a way to have similar functionality with video as well as audio from any source. Essentially I would like to be able to stream the desktop of any machine in my house to my A/V receiver. I know that the Marantz can do audio fine but will not do video so I am thinking that there might be an appliance that I can put on my network with an HDMI out that I can hook up to my receiver and stream the desktop to it. I know that I will miss out on things like controlling the volume and the power on functions from my PCs but at least I could easily watch video sourced from any of my devices. I currently use an HDMI cable running from a machine a floor below the receiver but it is somewhat cumbersome and I have to use a keyboard/mouse to interact with it.

I think that you can use a chromecast device but you have to download a plugin that only works to stream a tab of chrome to it which is OK but a full desktop solution and one that can do full HD would be better (chromecast solution is 720p max).

I could use a small purpose built machine to VNC into machines into my house to pull from and continue to use one of those small keyboard/touchpad combos but that isn't optimal and a push would be better.

What are you trying to stream? You can set up Plex if you're trying to stream videos to a Chromecast.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Horn posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a launcher? I'm looking for something that is easily control by remote that let's me launch XBMC, steam, emulators with ease. I have an app switcher right now that is programmed to come up when I press a button on my remote but it's really janky and a pain to setup.

Having a "one launcher to rule them all" is going to be a bit tough, but for emulators i use GameEx and it's fantastic for a HTPC

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

My nt-A3500 died - it wouldn't boot to Windows without a BSOD, so I rebuilt it, updated all of the drivers, ran memory tests and tests on the SSD, and I still received BSODs. Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool showed that I've got a memory error.

At any rate, the unit has always been buggy with XBMC - I would leave it on, and sometimes it wouldn't go to sleep. Sometimes it would sleep but not wake up. Sometimes, XBMC would just hang and I would have to do a hard reboot (possibly causing my memory failure?) So I'm kind of ready for a change.

I don't want or need a high-end HTPC. I'm looking for something that can do Amazon Prime, Netflix (I don't use it, but I would like the option,) MAME and emulator support (NES, SNES, Genesis, GBA, TurboGrafix16 mostly,) and streaming of my media collection (XBMC/Kodi or equivalent.)

I don't want to spend a mint, but I don't want a laggy, buggy half-assed solution either. Would an Amazon Fire TV fit the bill?

A lot of those errors could be caused by bad memory...you might want to just swap out the memory and see how it runs, would be cheaper than buying a whole new system.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I've been out out of the cable world for a while now, but just signed a 2 year agreement with Comcast and got a pretty swell deal on digital starter. The cable box they gave me is a no thrills, basic RF cable box. Everything else is routed through my receiver, and I'm looking at options to swap out the box for a cable card. I have a HTPC, what could i get for it to work with a cable card? I don't care about on demand or pay per view, just basic live TV watching here and there

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Buy an hdhomerun prime and windows media center.

I haven't looked at those in a while, do they have chromecast support at all? IE, have the hdhomerun hooked up in one room, i can watch TV on a TV that doesn't have a cable connection?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Just bought a HD Homerun Prime to hook up to my HTPC, and it's awesome. Does anyone have any recommendations on cheap effective devices to add to my bedroom and computer room TV? I was thinking Raspberry Pi.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Fire TV Stick probably can't be beat for the price. You can sideload Kodi and Kodi has an official Homerun add-on.

Perfect, thanks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I got a HDHomeRun Prime and set it up, and I love it. I have no issues with 99% of the channels, however - FX HD just plain doesn't work. There is tons of artifacting and stuttering. All the other HD channels I tested work just fine.

Before I even think of calling Comcast, will they be able to even do anything? Since it's not using one of their tuners and just a CableCARD are they going to say "Sorry about your luck"?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Naffer posted:

Look at the tuner stats on the channel when you're tuned to it and see if there is anything up. Sometimes channels are higher frequency have problems first. You should be able to see the signal strength, signal quality, and symbol quality on the tuner page. If any of those don't look good you can try fussing with your cable wiring. Each splitter in line drops your signal strength significantly, so removing just one can often fix problems from signal strength. In my case, removing a splitter fixed problems I had getting a single channel that just happened to be at pretty high frequency compared to most of the channels I watched.

Unfortunately no splitters are being used. :(

Oh wait I'm retarded, I did use a splitter and then decided I didn't need it but never took it off durrrrrrrrrr. Thanks, I'll try that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Medullah posted:

Unfortunately no splitters are being used. :(

Oh wait I'm retarded, I did use a splitter and then decided I didn't need it but never took it off durrrrrrrrrr. Thanks, I'll try that.

Oh hey now it works. Thanks. "Hangs head in shame"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

What's happening with cablecard?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

If Comcast decides I can't use a CableCARD anymore, they're going to lose my TV service, as well. Not a big deal, really.

Seriously, i just started using a hdhomerun with a cablecard. After signing a two year, $85 contact for blast Internet, digital preferred and HBO. The whole reason i did it is because i only have one outlet for cable and wanted to watch in other rooms.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

iLurk posted:

I'm looking at setting up a HTPC so that I can move away from paying Comcast. I'm somewhat lost in what I should be looking for / what I should be getting. Below is the list of things I'm trying to do:
- Play shows/movies from their online stream sites (Netflix/HBO Go/etc)
- Download/store shows/movies that I acquire
- Run a Plex Server
- Simple to run and maintain
- Cheap/ish

I'm not opposed to building my own computer (IT background), but I'm not sure whats the best option for what I want to do. Most sources have sent me to building the Budget HTPC, but I'm not seeing several different sources point me to a couple of options of prebuilt HPTC. What should I do based on what I want to accomplish?

Do you already have a computer? Most of what you're looking to do can be some with a chromecast if you just run the plex server off your main pc.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Find a solution where you dont have to use a keyboard and mouse from the couch.

This is the HTPC thread. There are times when you need to type into a keyboard, it's easier on an actual keyboard.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Uthor posted:

Plus, haven't found a better way to navigate Hulu in a browser...

I used my HTPC for Hulu, Netflix and Plex. Then I bought a Chromecast and haven't powered iffy on since except to play emulators here and there.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

The Fire TV Stick is probably your best bet. The Raspberry Pi will require a lot more effort for not really much more utility for what you want. Chromecast is an awful idea since it requires a phone or tablet to do anything with.

I personally like the Chromecast way more than my Fire TV stick. It has a lot more utility. True you have to have a phone or tablet, but I personally always have my phone with me and have misplaced the Fire TV stick reboot more times than I care to count. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Sure but does "grandma" have a phone or tablet on them all the time?

Yeah, true.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

Why not just Chromecast from a phone/laptop to the TV? Heck the Roku supports it even. I was casting from my phone to my brothers Roku when I was over there the other day.

Between the FireTVs various apps and the Chromecast I haven't turned on my HTPC to do anything in awhile. Its basically just an emulation box now.

Same here. I spent a good several weeks building the perfect HTPC and then Chromecast came out a week after I built it and I pretty much haven't turned it on since then. Emulation only, and even that is iffy because of how janky Nintendo games play on a 55" LED TV.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

I wanted a larger screen and I had the tv lying around. Specifically I wanted something I could play local co-op steam games on when friends came over. I'm guessing based on your question that there are reasons I shouldn't do this?

You probably have the resolution on your PC set waaaaay too high for a 720p TV to recognize the signal. Connect it to a standard monitor and lower the resolution to 1280x720 (max that TV can support).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Best Buy heavily discounts their open box receivers. I got my ~$350 Marantz NR1403 receiver for $95 since it was discontinued display model.

Banana plug compatible receivers are pretty nice if you can find a receiver with them in their budget.

Speaking as a former Best Buy employee, make sure you're getting a good price on an open box display unit. Remember it's been powered on for a year straight. :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Is there ANY alternative out there to watching DRM channels like HBO through a HDHomeRun other than Windows Media Center? I can't upgrade my main PC to Windows 10 because I use WMC + Xbox 360 as my cable box. Kodi with HDHomeRun add on works for non-DRM channels, but I've had no luck getting anything to pick up HBO.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

With the free Windows 10 upgrade timeline coming to a close, I'm thinking I'm going to end up upgrading my desktop PC. Unfortunately, this means I'll lose my cable box since I use my Xbox 360 as a media center extender with a HDHomerun. For protected channels it's pretty much only Windows Media Center so I'm thinking of building a crap cheap PC just to keep on Windows 7 for WMC. Anyone have any idea how low end I can go and still have it work?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

MPEG2 hardware decoding is in basically all GPUs and there's no transcoding needed for the 360 so basically a toaster with an Ethernet connection will do it.

Okay, I plugged an ethernet cable into my toatster and now I smell smoke.

Please advise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

AC3 and DTS just get bitstreamed to my receiver anyways, but thanks for the heads up.

I'd rather just bite the bullet with Kodi than try to keep WMC going.

When I first built this machine, it was pretty great using WMC and having CableCard, blu-ray, Emby (then called MediaBrowser), Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and Steam Big Picture in one box.

But as time has gone on, it's pretty obvious that WMC is slowly dying as a platform, and I'd rather just rip the metaphorical band-aid off and switch to Kodi.

I wish I could join you but sadly I can't watch HBO on Kodi, so I'm stuck with a WMC box. :(