Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I grew accustomed to using my old roommate's HTPC + server so I've been wanting one of my own. The HTPC was in a shuttle case and then he built a big linux server with a ton of hard drives RAIDed together.

I'm not sure what the best options are or how that compares to some of the setups here. The Zotac systems look interesting, but maybe they aren't the best value if I don't mind building my own? I also don't completely understand how a NAS setup would work differently than having a file server or if they're pretty much synonymous.

He recommended at least a quad core CPU and a dedicated ~$30 GPU, so that would require the appropriate case. I'd like to use this to play 1080p mkv off the server plus have Sickbeard doing its thing. I imagine if I ever get a 3D TV, I'd like it to be able to handle 3D as well.

Any recommendations or quick summaries of the various combos/options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
So all these Zotacs don't include memory or a HDD. After adding them, how does the price compare to building a comparable HTPC from scratch?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm reading some reviews on Amazon and Newegg about the AD10 having problems with Netflix HD streaming and some with YouTube. Any of you guys have input on different programs and their performance?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
But you need to run Windows 8 on it then?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Any idea why my audio won't work? I have my AD10 plugged into my receiver with the HDMI cable. I have picture on my TV and the windows volume control shows there is audio activity, but no sound plays.

And I really hope the AD10 can do surround sound. The speaker configuration thing in Windows only shows Stereo...

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

My ad10 sends dts and dd5.1 just fine. Make sure you have hdmi selected as the audio output.

Yea I was dumb and didn't have the drivers installed, but now that I do, it still doesn't work.

I installed the Realtek drivers and then the AMD chipset drivers. I don't think the order matters and I actually saw someone post elsewhere that installing in that order is what worked for them.

I do now see the multiple speaker configurations, so that's nice, but still no audio after selecting AMD HDMI Output as the default device.

edit: I should say I'm in Windows 8 due to the recommendation here about Netflix HD. The drivers I'm downloading from here all say Win7, but I hope that doesn't matter. I don't have an optical drive to use the disk it came with. http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=276&Itemid=100032&lang=un

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 2, 2012

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

jonathan posted:

what about under xbmc with Wasapi (your receiver) selected ? Make sure you have 5.1 selected. This disregards windows sound settings and goes straight through xbmc to the driver. I think.

This does nothing also.

edit: Ok I installed the wrong drivers I think. Attempting new installation for Windows 8 now.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 2, 2012

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

This does nothing also.

edit: Ok I installed the wrong drivers I think. Attempting new installation for Windows 8 now.

Tell me if I'm doing something wrong please. I went here and selected mini-PCs -> Windows 8 -> ZBOX Nano -> ZBOZ Nano AD10 (I don't think the Plus would be any different even if I did select that). I then installed the AMD Chipset & Graphic Driver for Win 8. http://www.zotacusa.com/downloads?cat=276#downloadscontent

Not only did it not fix my audio, but now the screen is overscanning larger than my TV. It's still set to 1920x1080 and is showing my receiver as the Display. There is an option in the AMD Vision Control Center to fix it, so I did that, but I don't see why that should have happened.

edit: and just to cover everything. Here is my receiver http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1018AH-K and the exact HDMI cable I'm using http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00316263Y/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 2, 2012

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Try the latest drivers from ati

I used the AMD auto detect tool to install the newest drivers. Still no sound.

I installed over the old ones I had installed, so I went to uninstall the drivers all together in order to install the new ones fresh, but it only ended up uninstalling the Control Center. Not sure if it matters, but just FYI.

I plugged some headphones in and switched to the Realtek audio and that works, so if it's the sound card, it's not completely dead. I guess even if HDMI is still default the headphones still work.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I can't get audio in Windows. Clicking the little slider on the volume control gives nothing, hitting Test under the Playback Devices shows activity on the little meter but no audio, the speaker configuration doesn't have any, no startup sound, etc.

No audio in Spotify, Chrome, XBMC.

My XBMC doesn't have all the same settings as yours; just the first 6. Mine is set to HDMI, 7.1, and the WASAPI AMD HDMI Audio.

edit: and in case anyone is wondering, even at max volume of +12dB on my receiver there is no audio.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 2, 2012

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Well I was looking a little closer at my receiver and thought something looked odd. I have the AD10 hooked up to HDMI 2 but the audio signal on the display was showing up as Analog and the sound setting/encode thing said Multi Ch In.

I switched it to HDMI 1 and now I have sound, but now my XBox 360 in HDMI 2 doesn't and the display also shows what I said above. Now I have that as a new problem that probably goes in another thread.

Now that I have audio with the AD10, there are still questions and I really don't know what thread to put them in. When no audio is playing the receiver displays STEREO and then if I play something it switches to PCM, but there is a delay before it kicks in. That will be annoying when pausing movies and music.

I also have it set to 7.1 audio in Windows, but right now Spotify is only playing in 2.0. If I can't get my sub involved in my music, that would be disappointing. I also tried a 5.1 video in XBMC and it did play in 5.1, but I was hoping it would duplicate the back two channels on to the two side channels like my PS3 Media Server would so I could use 7.1.

Edit: I left this thing on for a while and it went to sleep. How do I wake it up? I can't even power it off by pressing or holding down the power button.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 2, 2012

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

jonathan posted:

LOTS

OF

STUFF

Thanks for the post. (For anyone else that doesn't care about the audio stuff, I have two AD10 questions at the bottom)

First off, I fixed audio on the HDMI 2 input. I said above that the display read MULTI CH IN and that the audio source was set to ANALOG. I have no idea why that was on, but there is a button on the receiver that says Multi Ch In and pressing it set it to Off and then audio worked. Would have saved me a shitload of time yesterday. By the way I have a Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K.

Yesterday, the sub wasn't playing in Spotify or Youtube. I know music is 2.0 but the sub should still play. Well today the sub is playing. Maybe it just needed a restart. I also already had my speakers set to Small in Windows and in the receiver.

I can't get the Dolby PLII Music option you suggested to work though. I know what button to press on the remote and I'm looking at it in the manual. Says I should be able to cycle through some Dolby options when listening from a Stereo source. If something is playing in Spotify, Youtube, WMP the receiver says PCM and I have the receiver set to Auto Surround detect. If I use the button to switch to Standard Surround, it switches to Standard but stays on PCM. If I'm sitting at the desktop or don't have an app that plays music active for some seemingly arbitrary amount of time the receiver displays Stereo and I can cycle to Dolby PLII Music, but as soon as some audio starts it switches back to PCM. This is where the delay I was talking about before comes in since it needs to switch to the decoder or whatever.

The Signal Select button you mentioned has a section in the manual that mentions setting the signal to be PCM can be useful to remove this delay, but whenever I press the button I can only have it set to HDMI, not even the Auto mentioned as default.

When playing a 5.1 audio source in XBMC, it auto switches to Dolby PLII Movie and utilizes all 7.1 speakers because I have the Surround Back Channel processing set to On in the receiver. However, it doesn't do this in VLC probably because the 5.1 there is playing as PCM like everything else. Also, if I alt-tab from XBMC to VLC, VLC loses audio. I don't think this will be a problem since I'll just use XBMC, but it's odd.

Last thing and probably the only thing that should actually be in this thread. I still don't know how to wake this AD10 up after it went to sleep after a while. I had to unplug the power to turn it back on today. When it came back on, it was like it woke up from sleep though and all my apps were still open. Right now I just have a mouse and keyboard hooked up. I did try the power buttons on the included remote, but it didn't help. I haven't attempted this yet, but is there anything I need to know about using my Harmony 880 with the AD10 and the USB IR device?

I know not to cross post stuff, but if I should move this to an audio thread, I will.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

kri kri posted:

I can wake and even power on my ad10 from my harmony. Are you using the built in remote? If you are and it's not working, then it must be your windows or bios settings.

I haven't setup the Harmony yet, but at this point I can't even get the thing to wakeup when using the keyboard. If it matters, it went to sleep with XBMC as the active window. I haven't touch it for 2 hours now after leaving it at the desktop and it still hasn't gone into full sleep where the power light goes red. Don't know what that is about.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

jonathan posted:

I cant comment on the ad10 stuff, however, in windows, set all your speakers to large, otherwise you're tasking windows with bass manament and crossover duties and then also getting the receiver to do it. Windows should be set to 7.1 and full range large speakers. Receiver set to 7.1 and small speakers with a crossover of 80hz (assuming your speakers can play as low as 80hz, adjust higher if needed.)

As for pcm, when playing a dts or dolby track within xbmc, does your receiver indicate it's getting a dolby or dts track ? or does it say PCM or multichannel ?

If it says pcm or multichannel, this means your Zotac is decoding the dts/dolby track into raw pcm. Arguably the best setting is to have the zotac box "bitstream" the encoded dts/dolby track to the receiver and let it handle the decoding.

If the display indicates your're getting a dolby/dts track, then it's bitstreaming already. In either case I don't have an answer as to WHY it's doing that, but with some troubleshooting we may be able to find a setting to fix it.

Ok I set those to Large. Thanks.

In XBMC it displays Dolby PLII Movie, so everything there is fine.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

jonathan posted:

Sorry I was unclear. If it displays Dolby Digital (DD, Dolby D etc) then bitstreaming is working. Or DTS

If it displays Dolby PLII, that indicates which mode it's using to send out signals. If it doesn't say Digital, it's not getting a bitstream, it's getting a stereo 2.0 stream or a PCM stream. To further confuse things, You can be receiving a Dolby Digital signal and have it on Dolby PLII mode...

In your xbmc settings, do you have Dolby Digital and DTS capable settings turned on ?

I'm pretty sure everything is ok. In my original post that you quoted there wasn't any problem there, but I think you might have thought I was expressing one.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Those of you who have a Harmony and an AD10. Did you select the Media Center device in the software to be a Zotac? What did you select for power settings? I could get mine to wake, but I couldn't get it to sleep when hitting the Off button on the Harmony. I also think I'm seeing that when I press Off on the Harmony to turn off another activity, the AD10 wakes up.
edit - indeed it is.

I'm wondering if you selected Zotac because I also found this link earlier in the thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95063 to get the Harmony to control XBMC using keyboard commands. I'm confused on whether this requires one activity to wake the Zotac and then you switch activities to control XBMC as a keyboard with the Harmony.

Sort of related, but I used to have no problem with my PS3 Nyko Bluwave and my Harmony 880, but now it doesn't seem to work at all after a long period of no use. I re-added the device and activity and remapped some buttons. Nothing works except for the additional button on the screen that gives the X command. At least that shows that the Nyko IR dongle is working...

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Dec 8, 2012

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Just use the original remote and learn the command to your harmony

The ad10 has just been cheaper and more readily available.

So you're saying to just select the AD10 when adding the device to my Harmony and not bother with all these keyboard commands? I did notice that a number of the buttons like Info, Menu, Exit didn't do anything in XBMC. I also still can't get it to sleep with the remote and it always wakes when I press the Off button on the remote.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

If you are going to use it for XBMC then have it send the keyboard commands. Then for the power on and off have the harmony read the commands off the original remote.

Would that require adding both an AD10 device and a Microsoft device? Then the activity XBMC would have to use both with the power on/off buttons set to the original Zotac remote?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I too have a Logitech K400 in addition to my Logitech Harmony 880.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

I have it all in one activity with an MCE keyboard as the device, just manually learned the sleep/wake commands from the Zotac remote. It sends the commands manually (after this activity starts, do this, etc), not as part of the regular activity startup. I also use Eventghost to kill XBMC off when I suspend and run it again when the computers resumes from sleep. It works pretty well, the odd time I forget to point the remote at the Zotac IR sensor and it stays awake but it uses like 35W of power so its not a huge deal.

Thanks this worked. I followed the guide I linked and then added the Zotac power buttons to the XBMC (sw) device. Just had to then add the command to the activity that says to send this IR signal.

Why bother closing/opening XBMC if the system is sleeping already?

Will any of this change when I plug in the USB IR sensor that came with the Zotac and disable the internal IR?

Still need to re-figure out how to setup the Harmony with the Nyko Bluwave remote...

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Well yours stopped working the day mine started working, so there must be a limited number of AD10s in the world that can function at the same time!

Yesterday after I got mine working I put it to sleep and turned off my TV/receiver. When I woke up this morning, the AD10 was awake. What could have possibly woken it up? I left XBMC open when it went to sleep. Is that able to turn it back on itself?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
No problems with mine.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Do I need to do anything special for the AD10 USB IR receiver to work? I plugged it in and when keeping the unit itself out of line of sight from the remote, the USB IR isn't catching anything.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
It should work with my Harmony that I've been using with the Zotac already, right?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

kalicki posted:

Am I reading this right? Are you saying that the IR sensor is not in direct line of sight with the remote?

If so, of course it isn't working, IR only works on line of sight.

The poster below you got what I meant. The "unit" being the AD10 itself, not the sensor.

The USB IR sensor still doesn't seem to work. I don't remember there being any software to install or settings that I need to set, but maybe there are that I missed? Funny though because it seems like it can pick up volume changes to my receiver (I have my Harmony programmed) which I've struggled with doing in the past because of line of sight to the receiver. That makes no sense though.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Daric posted:

Ok someone help me.

I just got my AD12, I have a USB stick with windows8 boot loader on it and a 32gb sd card in the slot. When I try to install windows on the sd card it can't seem to find it.

I also need to install these discs that came with it I'm sure but it doesn't have a cd drive obviously so do I need to get an external?

I think it says somewhere recently in this thread that you have to use the USB 2.0 not the 3.0 slots or something. Try the ones on the back instead of the front? There might be something in the BIOS.

For the drivers, you can just download them from the Zotac website.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
How do I get the AD10 USB IR receiver to work my Harmony 880? I already got the Harmony working with the internal IR, so I thought I could just plug in the USB IR.

When I cover up the internal IR and try the Harmony on the USB IR, it doesn't work. When I try the same thing with the standard AD10 remote the thing goes apeshit and whatever button I press becomes permanently pressed, e.g., scrolls to the left in XBMC forever. That shows it can receive a signal, but maybe it's just bugged out because my hand doesn't cover up the internal IR well enough so it goes nuts.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

How do I get the AD10 USB IR receiver to work my Harmony 880? I already got the Harmony working with the internal IR, so I thought I could just plug in the USB IR.

When I cover up the internal IR and try the Harmony on the USB IR, it doesn't work. When I try the same thing with the standard AD10 remote the thing goes apeshit and whatever button I press becomes permanently pressed, e.g., scrolls to the left in XBMC forever. That shows it can receive a signal, but maybe it's just bugged out because my hand doesn't cover up the internal IR well enough so it goes nuts.

I posted this question a while back, but still don't know a solution. Any help? It's really annoying controlling this thing without the USB IR.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Not sure where to ask this, but can Plex stream surround sound? I'm trying to do it to my PS3 in the living room and it seems silly that it isn't. I don't see any sound settings in Plex.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
My Zotac AD10 has no problems playing my 1080p videos streamed over from my server, but when I try to watch streaming video online at even 480p it stutters. Right now I'm trying to watch the Dota 2 tournament on Twitch, but it's also happened watching sports like March Madness. My computer and tablet have no problems streaming 1080p over the same internet connection, so it's not that. Why would this happen?

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 10, 2013

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Flash the latest bios and increase the video ram to 512mb or 1gb

How do I upgrade the video RAM? It has a AMD Radeon HD 6310 onboard and dxdiag says it's using 2GB.

I flashed the latest BIOS and it's still not working well.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

There is a setting in the newest bios to increase vram.

Quoting this post from August that was in response to my Zotac AD10 struggling to play streaming videos in my browser like Twitch or now March Madness.

I have the newest BIOS. Is the option in the BIOS listed as "UMA Frame Buffer Size?" I increased that from 256M to 1G and my videos still lag. Playing 1080p in VLC or XBMC is fine and my internet is fast enough. Any more advice?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

There is a setting in the newest bios to increase vram.

KingKapalone posted:

Quoting this post from August that was in response to my Zotac AD10 struggling to play streaming videos in my browser like Twitch or now March Madness.

I have the newest BIOS. Is the option in the BIOS listed as "UMA Frame Buffer Size?" I increased that from 256M to 1G and my videos still lag. Playing 1080p in VLC or XBMC is fine and my internet is fast enough. Any more advice?

Reposting this question from last week. Any ideas? Thanks.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

fletcher posted:

What OS are you running? What version of the AMD video drivers? Any chance there is a background process running consuming processing power? (I noticed my youtube videos were choppy when I had crashplan running) Is hardware acceleration enabled in your Flash player settings?

I'm running Win8. I'll have to check the driver version later, but I won't say confidently that they're the newest ones. I don't really know the best way to get drivers for prebuilt PCs/laptops. I've made sure background processes aren't running, but I'll have to check hardware acceleration in Flash.

By the way, we have mutual real life friends (told to me by a friend who is also a goon). Sorry if that's creepy.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I have a problem. I can't play movies that use DTS HD Master Audio. I have a Zotac AD10, Windows 8, still running XBMC 12, and a Pioneer VSX-1020-K receiver. I have the audio options in XBMC set to HDMI and have the HD audio option enabled. I'm using the DirectSound options to use the AMD HD Audio thing from the Zotac.

When I play the movie it chugs along in slow motion without any audio. The receiver displays that it's playing in Stereo but I think it should display the correct HD audio codec. If I switch the sound options to Optical (not how it's physically connected though) then the receiver switches to DTS and the movie plays, but the video quality looks to take a hit and I'm sure the audio does too.

Haven't really been able to find a good solution online. My next move was to update XBMC.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

Upgrading XBMC should fix it - the audio system has been reworked and the passthrough options are now off by default because a lot of people were having problems.

Thanks that worked.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I just updated my Zotac AD10 to Windows 8.1 from 8. ATI Catalyst Control Panel doesn't open now and I need to use that to enlarge the screen to fit the TV. I think this is also defined as overscan, but it might not fit that term exactly. There is about an inch on every side of the desktop that's just black TV. Anyone else had this problem?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

I just updated my Zotac AD10 to Windows 8.1 from 8. ATI Catalyst Control Panel doesn't open now and I need to use that to enlarge the screen to fit the TV. I think this is also defined as overscan, but it might not fit that term exactly. There is about an inch on every side of the desktop that's just black TV. Anyone else had this problem?

Anyone know anything about this?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

GTO posted:

Whenever I've had that before on computers connected to TVs I've fixed it by going into the settings on the TV and selecting 'just scan' from the selection of aspect ratios (i.e. wherever it lets you choose letterbox / zoom / 16:9 / 4:3).

I tried this and unless "just" is overcompensating for the previous overscan adjustments I made when I used to be able to use ATI Control Panel, then it's zoomed in too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
A couple of months ago I moved home with my HTPC setup and was using my dad's home theater system (5.1 audio). I updated to XBMC Gotham since DTS-HD MA wasn't working. That all worked out fine.

Now I've moved back into my own place at grad school and I've painstakingly re-setup my 7.1 audio system, but the surround back speakers don't play anything when I'm watching a 5.1 movie or show. They work during the speaker setup/diagnostic mode. Previously they would duplicate the surround speakers when it's not a true 7.1 source.

I have Windows 8 on my Zotac AD10 and it's set to 7.1 and XBMC is set to 7.1 using DirectSound (AMD HD Audio). The Onkyo receiver displays PCM and it shows the little icons indicating all 7.1 speakers are in use. Maybe there is a setting I need to re-enable on the receiver to duplicate again? I can try a 7.1 blu-ray just to make sure that's working. Any ideas?