Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Klyith posted:

Ublock is a better PC upgrade than a $1000 CPU.

This so much. I also had to switch to old reddit because the new site was destroying my 8c Ryzen with so much loving JavaScript that I was getting 3-4 word lag in typing.

Developers should have to test their apps on bog standard machines before release instead of saying ”well it works great on my 6c 9th-gen i9 w/32GB RAM, ship it". But that would require effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

other people posted:

People still use iptables???

For some, it's still the only option (*cough*AIX*cough*).

Though I loving hate ufw, and it's actually one of the reasons I main RH. Firewalld is far superior for the casual user and has plenty of power user features.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

If they don't ship a Linux specific driver, you might be out of luck. Some of the cheapo laptops have an odd trackpad that Linux can't pick up. I have a Lenovo like this.

Grab a terminal and run an lspci, see if it shows you anything with a trackpad-like name. That might help figure out what you need to do. There are some touchpads that have non-free drivers that you'll have to pull from Universe or Multiverse (my terminology might be off, I haven't used Debian/Ubuntu in a while).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I stopped using putty once Windows Terminal + WSL2 became solidly mature. It just works so well, and WinTerm does the multi-line paste warning.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Computer viking posted:

It still doesn't handle something about deleting or overwriting right when connected to FreeBSD, so I keep putty around just to save me the frustration of trying to edit a line from history while the rendering on screen is a couple of characters off.

That's fair. I only ever connect to Linux, so it's worked perfectly for me for a while.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Developer probably pushed it with whatever their local config was, and probably had something installed in a nonstandard location with a hard coded path somewhere.

I hate software.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

jaegerx posted:

I broke 3 people because I use vi mode in zsh not emacs.

Yes kids, we still use vim.

I use vi mode in ksh on my AIX boxes.

But emacs? lol

We have a few devs that still use it because it has a couple of useful functions for the 4GL code they maintain, but otherwise, it's a ghost town.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I guess I never thought about it (or forgot about it) as emacs mode. It's the default for bash, which is everywhere, and that's how I've thought about it since the beginning.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

cruft posted:

I use emacs.

Found the beard grayer than mine.

Edit: or RMS has entered the chat 😂

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Inertia is a helluva drug. I started out in vi, and I'll probably continue to use it until I'm done typing for my life. It's my default workflow and muscle memory, which I'm sure is true for most others with the shell/editor they cut their teeth on.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

I use nano...

Heretic!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

One thing that does piss me off is that nano is the default editor in Ubuntu and it's really difficult to change. The cognitive dissonance created when I type visudo and get dumped into nano...

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

cum jabbar posted:

Is that controlled by $VISUAL or $EDITOR?

That's the problem I ran into. I don't use Ubuntu much anyway, so the fact that it's now $VISUAL and not $EDITOR threw me.

See my previous statements about inertia, heh.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

cruft posted:

It's been $VISUAL since at least SunOS 4.2 (1982)...

If $VISUAL isn't set, it falls back to $EDITOR.

Why are there two? Well, in 1982, sometimes you logged in using one of these:

e: f, b AGAIN

`vi` started out as an extension to `ed` (or maybe `ex`, I don't recall). You'd pop into "visual mode" after starting, by typing `vi` at the `:` prompt.

Ha, so I'm not as old as I feel sometimes.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Sounds like your grep is failing. What's the line you're trying to run?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I use vi/vim because that's muscle memory.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

cruft posted:

I worked on a mainframe for a previous job where my job was getting it to where you could install Linux on it!

It was a real trip, working on the friggin' z13 batfridge.

Jealous
I could never sell my company on LinuxOne. Buying a mainframe (Z16 is about to launch) in 2023 sounds like such a crazy thing to do, but IBM keeps making them (and my Power systems) so I'll take it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

Sounds cool. It looks like it will a few hours to download the init image though. Hope it works tomorrow.

Where did you find the moonreader apk? And did you get moonreader to sync positions with the regular android version?

Sometimes you hit a slow mirror. Canceling and trying again is recommended.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

I would simply not buy any expensive enterprise software

Laughs in AIX.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Context: I want to run some web services that are a bit too heavyweight for my Raspberry Pi. I did some napkin math and figured that even purchasing the cheapest mini-server on the second-hand market would take 3-4 years to break even in costs, compared to simply running my gaming/coding desktop 24/7 and sucking up the electricity prices, which would also be more convenient in other ways (less stuff around the house, fewer devices to admin, better perf). So I'm now looking at how I can get it to idle as cheaply/quietly as possible.

Question: I have noticed that, by physically disconnecting the GPU from the turned-off monitor, the power draw at the wall goes down by 15-20W (compared to turning off the monitor but leaving the cable connected). Can this behaviour be toggled via a script? I.e. set/unset a flag that tells the GPU "pretend your cable is disconnected"? The GPU is an AMD RDNA3 model, if relevant.

What about a pi compute node? You can put fast storage on them, which alleviates a lot of storage workload/waits. I guess it depends on how close to the perf edge you're running.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

My R720xd with 24 spinners runs around 200W most of the time running my Plex server and a few VMs. A modern desktop PSU, especially SFF should be even lower than 50W even under a bit of load.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Maybe a legacy operation from the app when they created the snap?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

What model laptop is this? There's one from several years ago that used a notoriously bad WiFi chipset. Caused me a lot of pain dealing with my wife's IT department trying to shove it off on my network when literally every other device on the WiFi worked just fine.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

64 bit memory addressing is a curse. We never should have told developers about it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Wasn't it something like 15 places that was enough to accurately estimate the circumference of the universe to a crazy precision?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

I don't know why I keep using ACL's they are absolute trash.

pre:
[my_user@truenas /mnt/main/root/documents/nextcloud]$ chown nextcloud data/
chown: data/: Operation not permitted
[my_user@truenas /mnt/main/root/documents/nextcloud]$ ls -ald data/
drwxrws---+ 3 my_user  local_documents  4 Jan 11  2023 data/
[my_user@truenas /mnt/main/root/documents/nextcloud]$ getfacl data/
# file: data/
# owner: my_user
# group: local_documents
            owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd----I:allow
            group@:rwxpDdaARWc--s:fd----I:allow
user:local_documents:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd----I:allow
group:local_documents:rwxpDdaARWc--s:fd----I:allow
         everyone@:--------------:fd----I:allow
What the gently caress.

Any ideas?

chown is a superuser command, so either elevate to root or sudo it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

waffle iron posted:

No it's not. You should be able to use chown on any file that is owned by your user or a group you're in.

I don't know of any current systems where that's true anymore. Find me one and I'll gladly add an exception to my post.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

NFS is not what we're talking about here. We're talking about unix file permissions and whether a non-elevated user can execute chown.

I just poked around on my RHEL 9 lab box. I suspected chown was in an sbin, but it's just in /usr/bin owned by root:root. The root group has execute permission, so for fun, I added my user to the group, logged off and back in and tried again. Linux chown is hardcoded to only allow execution by root.

And if you can change the ownership of files via NFS that's fine, because guess who is running the nfsd processes...

Edit: realized I was talking to a different person, ha. Pardon any snark there.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 18, 2023

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'll have to double check, but I believe there's no extra perms. I'm guessing if you look at the source or run strings against the executable that execute alert is hardcoded.

Skepticism is good, but I was pretty confident on that one after 20+ years, heh.

Yup:

homeserv ~]$ ls -l `which chown`
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 61448 Jan 6 2023 /usr/bin/chown

Maybe some ACL stuff deeper in, but I doubt it, personally. This is RHEL 9.2.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Kibner posted:

I've heard lots of discussions about various *nix distros here, but almost nothing about openSUSE. Is there something particularly poor about that distro? I'm thinking about using it as my main WSL distro or when I want to use some *nix utilities on Windows.

It's just a low percentage platform overall. Red Hat owns the enterprise and Ubuntu reigns in desktop (but there's a lot of RH and Fedora there, as well).

At least in the US, SuSE getting bought by Novell pretty much cemented its niche where RH did everything else.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I love unbound. I use it to manage everything on my home network.

Quick and easy flat-file configuration for all the basic stuff I do, and plenty of configurability for more advanced needs.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

After 15+ years with AIX all I want is JFS2 for Linux, and then I would be happy.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I'm old enough to remember when that resin factory burned down in the early 90s and SIMMs were selling for over $100 per megabyte.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

atomicpile posted:

I tried KDE + Wayland + nvidia (4090) today. Works fine but computer is non-functional after waking up from sleep.

This concludes my semi-annual Wayland test. Nvidia Still Broken.

I have an older AMD card and Wayland under Fedora 38 will gently caress up waking from hibernate just about every time.

I still use it because Waydroid, though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

poo poo, even some of our big iron boxes need occasional reboots.

The era of 2000 day uptimes has passed (even with live updates and patches).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The use-case for live-patching is that POSTing most systems with an absolute fuckload of memory takes a long time, as memory context restore is usually turned off because it gets better system stability and re-training the memory takes forever.

Updating the rest of the system isn't an issue, at least for FreeBSD - because we have reboot -r which lets you reroot the filesystem to a new place by adjusting vfs.root.mountfrom (the kernel environment variable OID that gets set in /boot/loader.conf to indicate the root filesystem during boot).
Rebooting daemons shouldn't take a long time, and System500 should be capable of what daemon(8) can do.

But again, it's not really an issue - because a good infrastructure architect will have active-active or active-backup failover for the services that need uptimes high enough to justify live-patching, without risking all the issues I mentioned above.

EDIT: If memory serves, rerooting was added for doing readonly-netboot to NFS, but can be repurposed if FreeBSD ever gets live-patching.

AIX skirts a lot of this since Power5 through making everything under control of the hypervisor, even a single partition system is still an LPAR. The upshot of this is that a reboot of the OS skips all the memory and hardware checks, and you only need to do that kind of stuff now for system firmware updates, and even then only when you jump releases.

Sure beats the hell out of a Power4 reboot which took a minimum of 25 minutes before the handoff to the OS even with the bare minimum of RAM, etc.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I mean, any HPC platform in the last 20 years, and any AMD user in the threadripper era, really.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

spiritual bypass posted:

Hopefully we get some kernel mailing list reaction videos

That sentence made me physically ill.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

The Botanist is one of my absolute favorites.

It's not peated, though, if that's what is intriguing you. It's just lovely and floral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I've yet to have decent experiences with resolved. It's especially bad for me on a laptop where things change quite often. I usually end up just disabling it after I fight with it for a few minutes.