Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, but is the Air a better touring helmet? The X-12 is a more upmarket helmet, and they're about the same price because of sales, are the Arai's any better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's extremely helpful, thanks guys.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

gently caress it, let's hope this one lasts 6 years without touching pavement too.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-gt-air-helmet

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I've heard that poo poo unironically in real life, I guess those dipshits have never tried a full-face helmet on, because there's absolutely zero peripheral blockage, maybe a bit on the top, but why the gently caress would you look up? Obviously the neck-snapping thing is people who don't understand physics outside of movies or a justification for a style choice.

I broke up with a girl I had been dating for a couple months because she told me wearing a full face helmet on my cruiser was "kinda faggy"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ehhhh, as I understand it the usable life is in service/being worn, the EPS liner shouldn't degrade at all sitting in a box in a warehouse, as I understand it, I could be wrong.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

There's a Dainese outlet in Huntington Beach too

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I need a pair of MX boots for a woman with large calves, most women's boots are garbage, and the normal range of men's boots don't go down small enough, so I bought her a pair of youth Tech 7's, turns out they're too small in the calf, I've heard that Gearnes' are roomy in that area. Any advice?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I have a big 'ol melon with pokey ears, and I've found that if you buy a helmet that has cut-outs for integrated comms (e.g. Shoei RF-1100/GT-air or UK equivalent) you can simply not fit ther comms, and use the extra space for your giant dumbo ears! Seriously made a world of difference for me.

When I rode 6000 miles in one go I did develop small blisters on my ear tips from removing and installing my helmet on my head though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Just get a Balaclava meant to be worn under a helmet, they're a godsend when temps get low, a necessity if you plan on riding near freezing, you want one with a thick neck-nose-mouth area, and a very thin head covering, they'll be sold at your nearest sporting goods store soon.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Jomo posted:

Are Tobacco jeans worth it? I've seem them advertised and do like the look of them but it works out to be like $600 NZ dollars which is quite a bit. At that price I expect them to be mind-blowing in terms of comfort and look amazing to match. Any alternatives or are they "the best" for what you pay?

Buy actual riding pants, not Jean's, especially for that price.

Though, anecdotally, Tobacco is actually pretty drat good.

FBS posted:

I wanted to do the "try helmets on in store" thing but nobody around here seems to carry $400 full-face helmets with internal sun visors. So instead I have an order in with Cycle Gear for an XL and 2XL RPHA 70 and an XL EXO-ST1400. I chose ship to store so I guess I'll try them on there once they arrive.

If those don't work out I'll try the AGV K5. Anything else I should look at in this price range?

Good old King Daddy Shoei GT-Air 12, fit and finish are off the charts, has pin-lock, great venting, dB range is within hearing damage tollerences while riding, provided you never turn your head or experience a side wind, very happy with it.

Compared to old RF-11

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also provided you actually use the little bottle of silicone oil that comes with it so the visor seals don't perish.

Speaking of which, I finally got around to getting a tube of RTV to patch the upper seal on my neotec. Haven't rain tested it yet, but it's way quieter now, so at least it's keeping the wind out.

I'm still surprised you managed that, my RF-1100 did thousands of miles and 5 years, in rain and sun, got thrown on a mirror and left out in same, even used down to 20F and is currently thrown in a pile of random motorcycle poo poo in an exposed carport (too old, replaced, going to be used as target practice) and the seals are as plush and effective as they were day one.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

RightClickSaveAs posted:

On that subject, what's the best thing to do with old used helmets? I actually have two HJC, one a large in near new condition I bought and rode for a few weeks when I first started before realizing it was wayy too big, then a Medium I wore for a couple years that has some dings and scratches but was never dropped or crashed.

I know the used helmet market doesn't really exist as it's a really bad idea. They've both just been in my closet, I could probably use the one that fits as a backup, but I definitely don't need the large.

I enjoy shooting them with firearms.

They'll protect you from buckshot at about 40'!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nah, .22 has pretty good penetrating power, even 9mm will go right through from as far away as I can hit it with a pistol, .45 knocks a decent hole, and 7.62 fired from a long arm will blast the back half of the helmet clean off.

That was a crappy old AFX though, I have a mid range HJC, and good Shoei that have aged out of usefulness, and I just lawn-darted my dirtbike, loving up my knee, and probably destroying my G-max dirt bike helmet in the process since I hit my head pretty good. I also found some good shooting pits near me while I was out trail riding on that trip, so it's time to go blasting again.

If anyone wants me to perform any other destructive helmet tests I'm open to suggestions.

It's my civic duty and all, rendering them unusable.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I went to Gray's Harbor ORV Park with my buddy, the big MX track is closed for the season, but they have this cool vintage/winter track that's all woodchips, some wide two-track that was insanely wet, with loving ridiculous huge clay hillclimbs that had us basically laying on our bikes to get enough traction to the rear to move forward, and enough traction on the front to steer. Then you can ride to all the awesome trails in the capitol forest.

We hit the track first, it's a weird woodchip surface, I'm still warming up and not feeling it much, we hit the racecourse, and then some awesome trails for awhile, all's good.

Head back to the track to cap the day off, I'm feeling good, digging out of ruts, hitting some small doubles, easily keeping up with my buddy who's a B/sometimes A rider (because his YZ blew the shock trail riding, and the FE is perfect) then I hit a jump, land poorly, in a muddy rut, and the bike just loving stops, I got forcible ejected, and landed right where the bar-end meets my bark buster with my knee, slid right over the plastic of my kneeguards and all 240lbs of Elviscat came down on that little aluminum corner.

Dragged my bike out of the track, recovered for a few minutes, took the next jump, and realised that I couldn't stand on the bike.

Huge, bleeding abrasion/bruise on my knee, could barely walk Sunday, with a huge swollen spot on my knee the size of a softball, but I'm recovering quickly.

TL;DR, learn to dirtbike when you're 14 and 160lbs, not 29 and 240lbs.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

What part of this doesn't look fun?

(I really enjoy Enduro obsticals, because my giant size and strength give me an advantage over all but the best riders, who just float over everything)

It's a challenge, and challenges can be enjoyable, I usually liken it to snowboarding, I spent a season sucking, being beat to poo poo constantly, the first time I tried it, I couldn't get out of my recliner at home, so I just fell asleep in it, now I'm pretty drat good at it, years later, and I love floating over any terrain I choose, fast and effortlessly.

I've been dirt biking less than a year, so 12 year olds are still dunking on me on their 80cc bikes, but sometimes I get the same feeling, where the mind clears, every corner flows together in a rhythm, you're in total control and everything is effortless, you hit horrible, rutted, whooped out terrain and you hit it at the perfect speed so that you're skimming over the top and your bike is level, and the suspension I'd barely even upset.

Sometimes I can't stand when I know I should be, and I crash, and get the absolute poo poo beaten out of me.

But when you ride with a capital-G Good rider, and you watch them manipulate their bike like an extension of their body, like a Trials rider and you realize that achieving that perfect, mind-blanking, rush is just around the next corner.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MetaJew posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkhR-zhxzig

This looks incredible and I wish I had the talent and opportunity to learn to do this.

There's even worse out there. While I can't do that, I've never come in last since I've owned my Husky, because no matter what, someone else is a little less tough than I am, and doesn't finish the race, I always finish, even if I'm torn up and have a flat tire.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Renaissance Robot posted:

There almost always is, and even when there's not it feels like there is because there's no air movement down there since everything gets smushed together between the saddle and your crotch, leading to swampiness.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to recommend a bead seat as the solution.

A bead seat is an excellent idea, and adroitly solves both the crotch-puddle and crotch-swamp issues, as well as reducing rear end-fatigue, an absolute necessity on every motorcycle, from large cruisers to super sports.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You could make a helmet with little lever mechanisms under the ears that deploy the cans.

Kickstarter?

JSB, if impaction is the issue with earplugs those molded ones that don't go in the ear canal are your best bet, not as good as regular foamies, but good enough.

the one piece of gear I don't wear are earplugs, I get my hearing monitored every year as part of my job, and I've never deviated from my baseline 10 years ago by a significant margin

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Can you use on-ear plugs? When I worked at a plant in NY that's what a couple of the guys who suffered from impaction issues did, they sit outside the ear canal so they should present less of an issue jamming wax into your canals.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I dunno, probably depends on helmet and your ears, you mold them to your ear-shape, so they should fit fairly snug, I have giant dumbo ears, and I can get my Shoei helmet on without crushing them much by expanding the base a little and slipping it on at the right angle, after which the ears stay nestled in the little pockets that are supposed to have speakers in them.

Hopefully someone hear has used them before and can comment more helpfully.

As I see it you don't have a whole lotta options

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I love that my GT-Air is wonderfully air-tunnel designed to be VERY quiet.

But only in a straight line, turn your head a fraction and you get the most bizarre, whistly harmonics, it's weird.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As I can't find the post about selecting a helmet (and as there's a really dangerously wrong bit of advice about that in the OP) I'm gonna throw something together tonight/tomorrow.

Thread reboot? It's about time, the second post mentions newenough, and I read that post to help me buy new gear almost a decade ago.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Just be 6'4 with a 34" inseam and reasonably flexible so you can high-kick over any luggage, jeez you guys it's not hard.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've not seen one in a while but then I've not been in a bike shop for a while, but Metropolis (now closed) used to do Shoei and another manufacturer I can't remember, alternating, on the first Sunday of each month.

It's possible that they've stopped doing them altogether for liability reasons.

Great effortpost on helmets, it might be a bit better if it was a tiny bit shorter, it's a bit difficult to read.

Shoei will inspect your helmet for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

builds character posted:

That's a good helmet post.

It is, reboot the thread with it as an OP so it doesn't get lost!!!