Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

efnii posted:

I got a pair of these last spring, wore them through to December-ish (upstate ny). I wore them probably 4-5 days a week between commuting and cruising, including horrific downpours. For the most part they've held up really well, and have an awesome looking madmax patina after getting dirt and oil on them (I have the brown ones) They kept my feet dry in the rain as well. The one thing I really hate about them is that the buckles on the side are really lovely potmetal. My left boot has lost 3 of the nubs that go in the hole in the straps, probably from the movement of shifting. The right boot's lower-most buckle lost one of the little arms that keep the strap on the buckle. You can buy replacements online at like $13 for 5.

I can't comment on safety as I haven't been down in them but there's no real ankle stiffness, though there are plates over the ankle and heel. They're thick and huge too, so I feel pretty safe.

But whatever, they look cool on my hipster ratbike CL350 :woop:

Came in here to ask about Icon Elsinores. Are there any boots out there that are pretty close in appearance to these but with better build quality? I'd rather look like Mad Max than a Power Ranger when commuting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Boot question.

Does anybody have any experience with Fly Maverik boots? Here: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fly-racing-maverik-mx-boots-2012

I need new boots for primarily street riding, but I want the protection of off-road boots and the ability to occasionally get into some poo poo. I know one issue a lot of people seem to have with MX boots on street bikes is the whole shifter position and feedback, but my years with a pair of Dr Martens industrial steel toes makes me think that won't be much of an issue for me.

I've also looked into the sport-touring/adventure boots that most of the big gear sites have and they're all either out of my price range or look too much like cop boots.

edit: I also like the Icon Elsinore's, but I'm not paying $250 for the issues that so many people seem to have with them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

I looked at boots like that (and those in particular) last time I needed a pair of riding boots.

Full height MX boots like that go up really high (like almost knee-high, definitely overkill-high) and they're bulky. Also not waterproof; that type of boot will direct water from puddles "away" from the inside of the boot, but in the rain your feet will get wet. They're not particularly well-suited for street riding but I'm sure they can be made to work if you are motivated enough.

If you're looking for the rigidity of an MX boot but for riding a street bike, check out some shorty offroad boots. I run the Fox Comp 5s boots, they have a lot of ankle protection for the price and they've held together well for the past 20k mi or so and I use them for double-duty (road touring and offroad injuries).

Other shortys: Fly Maverick ATV boots (similar to the ones you linked but lower and I think they have lug soles), Alpinestars Tech 2, O'Neal Shorty 2, and Gaerne GMX. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...-0-0-0-0-24-1-1

Waterproof, or at least legitimately resistant would be nice. I had actually been eyeing the Maverik ATV boots, figuring that full-on MX would be too much. What exactly does "shorty" mean in the boot sense? I've been trying to figure that out, as I want something that comes a good ways up my shin. Some of the shorties look like they'd do that, but others look like goofy basketball shoes. It's being picky, I know, but the power ranger/tactical look of a lot of the boots out there really turns me off. I do really like the look of the A* Scouts, but they're out of my budget. My budget is a limiting thing right now, as all spare funds are going into getting the bike on the road again.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What are the issues? Mine have been fine for the last year.

A handful of the reviews on the gear sites mention that the buckles are pot metal or something fragile. And I think I heard that they don't actually have a ton of lateral ankle protection either. I guess that's not exactly an "issue" in the manufacturing defect sense. But drat if they don't look the tits.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 20, 2013

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OSU_Matthew posted:

Any recommendations on ways to prevent my visor from fogging up? It was thirty degrees and rainy on my way into work this morning, and even with the vents wide open and my visor mostly lifted up I was still struggling. Is there some sort of cleaner/sealant or double sided vacuum sealed visor I can buy?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Anyone have any thoughts on Deth Killers jeans?

http://rideapart.com/2013/12/deth-killers-asphalt-resistant-denim-re-opens-shop/

Wes Siler is frequently pictured wearing his, but his quads are so big they can't fit into them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm sorry, but I feel like we haven't addressed this enough:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Some Fieldsheer jackets fit skinny guys ok. I've got an older leather Fieldsheer with perf pits and zipper vents that fits me, and I'm ~160#, 5'10" most days. It's plain old black leather that distresses to dark brown, so it's pretty nice looking. You can tell it's a motorcycle jacket, but it doesn't scream it. I feel like any jacket labeled "Euro cut" or something like that tends to fit us thinner guys better.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sorry, but there's no chance you'll look cool as hell unless you're wearing Belstaff.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A soaked underarmor (real or knockoff) under a mesh jacket does just fine cooling you off. Based on many days of long rides in >90 temp and humidity.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

http://www.amazon.com/Ducati-Hair-Body-Shower-Ounce/dp/B00BH4N1R2/ref=pd_sbs_bt_24

http://www.amazon.com/Ducati-Men-Toilette-Spray-Ounce/dp/B004JWMW4M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_bt_3

http://www.amazon.com/Ducati-Deodorant-Stick-Men-Ounce/dp/B00AMBPVME/ref=pd_sbs_bt_31

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've got a couple of these in 57 L. About $35 from REI.

They're big enough to fit my tent, pad, sleeping bag, clothes, and maybe some food in. Bombproof fabric, and yeah, short of a knife or sharpened stick, nothing's tearing it. Strap on with bungees or river straps and a cargo net, never had them budge.

I also use one of these in 44 L. About $35 from Academy Sports.

Material is a little thinner, I ripped mine somehow. It repaired with special patches and glue pretty well, but I wouldn't submerge it any more. My only complaint is that the opening necks down a bit, so you can't really open it up and see much of what you're digging around in. Same mounting system on bike.

I put both through multiple rainstorms, and my big 57L drybags see a lot of river time, with no leaks ever.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So re: Battery Tender Jrs, is there a jumper cable that plugs between the battery pigtail and a 12v outlet on a car? Like so I could jump it without taking the seat off, lifting a car hood, using automotive jumper cables, off another bike with a 12v, etc?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a waterproof overpant with a full length zipper?

Joe Rocket Ballistic.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OSU_Matthew posted:

Boot question... anyone have any experience with or notice any reason I should avoid Fly Maverik ATV boots?

I just spent several hours at the local motorcycle store trying on just about every boot known to man, but nothing I particularly liked fit my freakishly large feet. This one eventually caught my eye near the end, but they didn't have any in my size.

Seems like it'd be nice for dual sport use, and the buckles seemed really easy to operate, plus, you know, it's cheap.

I've got a pair of the atv boots, and I'd recommend them. Build quality is about what you'd expect for $100. They're pretty comfortable when they break in, though. They're not terrible to walk in, and the lugged sole is nice. They feel very ankle-protective, which is one of the more important points. There is zero lateral movement. I haven't tested the waterproofness, but I'm inclined to believe the reviews that say they're not at all. So far, I recommend them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OSU_Matthew posted:

I did that when heading home to visit family... except I forgot them altogether, so I just stopped into a hardware store and bought a cheapie pair that I've been using ever since.

I got my Fly Maverick ATV boots in the mail today, and I'm really quite pleased. Dunno about the waterproofness, but the ankle armor feels very sturdy, the snaps are easy, the tread seems plenty aggressive for waking on any terrain, and most importantly they fit quite comfortably. My feet are a half size bigger than the largest size they make, but they still fit well, and feel like they would be very protective in a crash.

I'm probably missing something, but they seem a lot nicer than any of the more expensive boots I tried on at the store.

I think the build quality is probably just inconsistent on them. Mine fit great, but the section of the tongue (?) over the instep has a little too much material, so there's a bulge between the bottom and middle buckle. Also, the hard bit over the outside of the left ankle put a bit too much pressure on my ankle for the first couple wearings, but has since gone away. The material on the toe is bunched up in one section where it's stitched to the sole on my left boot as well. The right one has no issues at all. None of those things affect the wearability or protection, as far as I can tell.

Another thing: I'm wearing mine on a street bike, so they've changed my riding posture just enough that my knees get a little stiff after a couple hours. Still completely manageable, if a little unorthodox. And yeah, they feel like you could have your leg run over by a car and come out ok.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Also try the SevenZeroSeven Vendetta2 if they still have those. I tried both the Vendetta and the Backlash, and felt like the Backlash was going to flatten my ears permanently. The Vendetta ended up having more jaw and parietal room. It's been a good helmet for my big weird head for a couple years now.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Take it to a professional leather cleaner.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ArcticZombie posted:

Don't get me wrong, I have and wear full textiles with full boots every day commuting and riding, so it's not a case of "Kevlar jeans are better than not wearing anything at all". If I'm meeting friends somewhere, I've nowhere to store my gear if I change clothes. My jacket is no different than any other coat/jacket in that situation and it's not a big deal to find somewhere to stick my helmet with gloves inside them. Trousers + boots + backpack on top of that is a different issue though.

Have you considered a bike lock (cable) to run through the legs of your regular overpants and lock to your frame? Some people are ok with that, I don't do it myself, but it's a cheaper option.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm interested in the reboot of the Icon Elsinore boots, the HPs. Have the qc issues been solved since the old model came out?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 8, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

-Inu- posted:

What were the QC issues before? I haven't dealt with the Elsinore boots personally but I can find out if they've changed.

From what I gathered, from reviews here and elsewhere, the buckles were poor quality (pot metal?) and failed, and zippers were failing as well. There may have been stitching failures, but I only remember the metal bits being discussed. That was right after they were released, and I quit pursuing them.

I'm due for a new pair of boots and still think they look neat.

edit: Do you work for Icon?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 8, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

heeeythisssanthoneewireevzlateeveee

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:psyduck: :catdrugs:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That is excellent.

Although, Anthony has to be aware that his intro is a meme of sorts.

I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysshkbuKt58
Tell me that's not self-aware.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is that a tactical guthook on your dresser?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What was the verdict on the Elsinore boots? I think my question got buried by the AnthonyMix.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tight around the toes will never loosen up to a comfortable level. Or if it does, it will be a really lovely few weeks/months till then.

At least that's my experience with hiking boots.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Has anyone found any socks that are just awesome for warm weather riding? I wear my Smartwools year round because ~wicking~, but even my thinnest ones get pretty drat swampy in the heat of the summer.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Space Whale posted:

Got some Frogg Togg pants today, jfc I should have gotten these months ago.

In heavy rain on a sport bike rain is funneled to your crotch, and apparently gauntlet gloves love being huge funnels for rain water coming down from your rain-liner-clad arms when you brake.

WTF can I do about my hands? Everything else is dry now at least :unsmith:

Put your sleeves over the gloves, dummy.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

-Inu- posted:

What are some of your guys' absolute favorite pieces of gear? Stuff that you'd rave about to anyone who will listen.

I've got a pair of A* SP2 gloves that BlackMK4 sold me. They are probably the most comfortable glove I've ever worn for anything, not just bieks. They're better than my snowboard, wrenching, bicycle, neoprene, and general cold weather gloves by far. They're just extremely natural feeling, and even the little finger fits perfectly, which is usually a problem for me.

I've also got a leather Fieldsheer jacket that I've never been able to find a model name on, and never seen a similar one. Got it for $40 very lightly used on ebay. It just feels right and keeps me motivated to stay at a constant weight because I don't want to not be able to wear it any more.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

This is my girl's jacket. She's done with it (too warm for summer riding, and it's a little too small for her) so I'm still trying to get rid of it.

It's got a fitted bust, but not very large. It fit her best when she was ~150 - 155 lbs, I would guess. She's 5'9", pretty proportional torso, smaller bust. When it fit, she really seemed to like it. The fit seems to be more for an operator than pillion. It's actually really well-built, but the sizing is small, as with others. It's a large, but it's sized to a pretty willowy woman, maybe with slightly wider shoulders than average.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

They're so nice. My only beef is the rubber logo started peeling off the back of one, but a bit of glue fixed it.

A really well-made glove is a nice thing to have on your hand. It just feels good, like a security blanket.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

A* SP-2.

They're not short, but they're vented well enough that they won't get too swampy. Maybe.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Can anyone tell me some things about budget dirt/adv helmets? My budget is really low ($250 including goggles). I don't know enough about my head shape to order online but I want to know a few things when I go to the store. I'll probably end up going to Performance Cycle in Denver. Their lower-shelf brands are Fly, HJC, and Fox.

Also, given that I'll mostly be farting around on forest roads and the like, not full-on dirt riding, what is the better choice between dirt and adv helmets?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 7, 2016

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Renaissance Robot posted:

Welp, I'm a dumbass. Open my chest this morning to dig out my waterproof gear and find everything, including my heated gloves, completely covered in green mold. :zombie:

This is what I get for not having a dedicated place at home to hang dripping wet gear up to dry. Any tips for getting this poo poo out? Last pair of gloves I let get moldy it seemed like no amount of washing would get the smell out.

This is what you get for not getting a haircut.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Renaissance Robot posted:

Took a closer look after work, and while the outsides are totally :yikes: it doesn't seem like there's any in the liner, so even if they never come all the way clean I shouldn't get swamp hands from wearing them.

Weather's supposed to be nice the next few days so I'll take the opportunity to wash them a few times and leave them in the sun (no worries about shrinkage, only the palm is leather and it could do with being a bit tighter anyway)

Real answer: after you do the above washes to get the actual mold/mildew out, another cold soak in Oxyclean or some similar detergent specifically for stinky synthetics and a dash of Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap will take the last bit of stank out.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

White vinegar's good for that, with the proviso that if it's leather you must clean and condition it immediately after.

Furthermore, keeping your leather treated frequently in the first place makes it a little easier to manage when something like that does happen.

I like this stuff:

Seat, jacket, gloves, etc.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I thought Alpinestars SP2 was the usual CA answer, like the Shoei RF1200 and the 1290 Ninja 300ABS.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So where do Handroids fall in that context? They've got a ton of hard poo poo on them but are supposed to be pretty good at what they're made ro do. I remember some goon shredded one last year or maybe a couple years ago with no injury.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I read an interesting account from a guy on some forum a few years back. He geared up, got on a bicycle, and threw himself off at speed a couple times. The point was to show how much damage gear took even at low speed, thus keeping it off your body. Wish I could find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm due for a new helmet and was leaning toward an adv...

It's only DOT-certified for now, though. Do SNELL/ECE ratings typically follow after a helmet is released, or is that something manufacturers do in the production phase?