Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Mister Kingdom posted:

He may have been doing it on purpose knowing that not everyone would get it.
"My God, what have we done?!" - Dave Chapeau's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That's really weird, Discovery has huge distribution. It's usually fringe channels that companies believe no one will miss that get the axe and silently disappear from popular packages

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

You think Mythbusters' schedule is intolerable as it is, but try getting Discovery Canada. They don't show new episodes on any specific day or even when they're new, you just have to sort through their miscellaneous timeslots and hope you strike a new ep you haven't seen now and then. They definitely don't program their playing order with any rhyme or reason and it's frustrating as a fan.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

BlueArmyMan posted:

I swear that I saw his name listed in the credits as an exec producer. Then again, my memory sucks poo poo sometimes, so it's possible I'm wrong. I'll keep an eye open next time to see if I see it again.
"Executive Producer" is infamous for often being a nebulous courtesy title that's given out to appease certain parties and their interests. You'd be hard pressed to nail down a consistent job description for the role from show to show.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I'm not a big DC fan, I've just seen the odd episode or 5 here and there, but it's very apparent that there's nearly no consistency even within Rowe's own narration, even in the very same episode. The scoreboards are utterly meaningless.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Vince Offer moves into phase "Endgame".

Really though, I just scooped on the death of Mays by this thread. Dying is the new thing in the celebrosphere - MJ made it so hot right now!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

My favorite part about catching classic eps is noting the hair phases Adam goes through to compensate for his slow but sure MPB while Jamie stays looking exactly the same like a highlander.

"Don't try any of this at home. ...EVER!" is the most-used discretionary bumper. :xd:

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 8, 2009

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah, you can see Adam's concern for his hair when he burns his eyebrow off. It was all fun and games, until someone pointed out he might have burnt some of his hair off too. He got serious pretty quickly from what I remember.
Well, to be fair Jamie is actually bald and goes for the willfully cueball look with a permanant beret, due to shrewd imagine planning he's made it essential to his character.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Gazaar posted:

Looks like a pretty mediocre episode of mythbusters tonight.
At least you actually get your new episodes scheduled. Discovery Canada has no loving idea when to air the new episodes, they just throw 'em out whenever.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Mike is genial and entertaining when he's interacting glibly, not so much when he takes an aside and tries to specifically be a ham. Say "poop" on primetime off-cable with that obnoxious shiteating grin yet again, motherfucker. Do it. DO IT

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I think the build team gets a bad rap for no particular reason, they're jsut average photogenic nerds with advanced engineering degrees and experience. They act pretty drat natural aside from the infrequent awkward skit.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Gazaar posted:

I dunno, I like the old formula of a solid 43 minutes of Adam and Jaime just tooling around.
I'm not saying I prefer them (should go without saying for any fan), but this is a lot better than the sidekick tools discovery usually has on all their shows of this vein (manufactured drama, artificial shallow characterization, other asinine miscellany)

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I should have stipulated that Kari is mostly useless. She wouldn't be there if she were so darn cute! Thankfully her personality doesn't suck the air out of every single scene she's in so it gets a pass.

Why would you hate Grant or Tori? That's a strong word and they hardly do anything so odious as to justify such a response. Don't be hatin'

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 29, 2009

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

You say that even though Jamie's been a cueball the entire run of the show and longer. He was clever to cultivate his beret-based image.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

smackfu posted:

The first iteration had:

1) Myths that ran straight through for 20 or 30 minutes, instead of being intercut and all finishing up in the last 10 minutes.
2) A lot more time spent on the builds, especially with sourcing. Like when they put the pig in the car to replicate a dead body, they spent a segment on how they got the car, and how they tracked down where to find a pig, and they were both pretty involved. And they would visit all the cool stores Adam knew in the SF areas. Now they skip right past that part. I guess money makes things easier; if you need a bus, you just buy a bus.
3) On the plus side, at least they don't have the "urban myth" expert anymore doing talking heads.
I don't get the sense that they specifically excised the 'experts' so much as ran out of all the most common well known myths that could be actually tested in any fashion and then summarized by some fat woman in her 40s.

I do miss most of the other stuff, the turning point in show direction was definitely when they started with those awful "WARNING: SCIENCE CONTENT!" bumpers for the drooling LCD who want bigboom all the time.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

spixxor posted:

I can't loving stand Bear. Something about him just screams douchey Bro to me. Les Stroud could out survive him any day. :colbert:
he's a preachy vegan earthchild. Bear claims to have done some thing for the SAS. Bears win!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

No poo poo, I don't give a gently caress if he stayed in a best western during a shoot once, I sure as gently caress wouldn't somersault down into an arctic ice cave and eat a raw scorpion wrapped in a kangaroo nutsack

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

At the very least, the one you can be sure of is that anyone seriously trying to pit them 'against' each other on perceived criteria that has been embellished for promotional purposes is a Raging Flamer. :roflolmao:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Who knew that decades of chainsmoking and hard drinking could have disastrous health effects?! :wth:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Scarecrow411 posted:

I have to agree with Beeb here. The build team is the weakest part of the show, but I'd still take Jessi over Kari. My favorite build-team moment was in one of the latter episodes when Grant has to rig something up and you can see how excited he is, and it's real excitement. There's so much screaming and hi-fives and hamming it up at every explosion that it was nice to see something genuine.
Jessi's appearance was very funny because it felt like a last-second network driven shoehorning, but there's nothing inherently bad about her and she very probably has more qualifications than Kari (who can't do a lot compared to anyone else)[except get knocked up in the preseason]{and overdramatically avoid most meat myths}.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Generalized pain tolerance isn't something that can be effectively tested ever due to both the scope, dimorphism and inherent ethical quandries, much less by a serialized hourlong television show. :roflolmao:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Wow, that's a cheapest thing they've ever done.

The paper folding episode was one of my favorites, at least.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

For some reason the Mythbusters Top 25 clip show has been played on Discovery Canada already even though it's new (normally like 3 months behind in new episodes for some reason), and it's actually pretty good thanks to all the specific interviews. It again serves as a reminder to amaze me at the sheer depth of their archival catalogues and the editing prowess that stitches it all together so smoothly. They've got A/V wizards on that job.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

fishmaster17 posted:

Tonight's episode will be deicated to Mythbuster EMT Sanjay who died this week.
What happened to him?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

magiccarpet posted:

All shows licensed for international air/distribution are provided with multiple audio tracks. Usually its a full mix (w/ America VO), a mix minus the VO, a straight music track and then a straight FX track. Local markets will then hack and slash it down for air in terms of time, any editing for content and the new VO read. Its called localization in some markets.
This might explain why Discovery Canada is months late getting 'new' episodes even though for all intents and purposes the episodes are identical here. Great job.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

My favorite part was the 3 or so scenes of entire parts of old Myths that they never put into the actual episodes. I bet they've got tons of those lying around for various reasons.

Also, I saw this this past Sunday on Canadian Discovery when it was brand new, apparently they might not be inexplicably arriving 2 months late anymore! That said, the remixed music is a downgrade! Stupid atonal Dandy Warhols

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

DJExile posted:

Seriously just end that show. Once you somehow manage to put a goddamn cannonball through someone's home and across 4 lanes of traffic (amazingly without hurting anyone), you need to shut things down.
If you're a boring coward with no guts or balls, sure! Insurance exists for a reason.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 7, 2011

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Amppelix posted:

This is kind of topical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WLG8_dfX9M

http://www.tested.com/news/so-whats-happening-with-tested-video/3744/

I haven't watched Mythbusters in forever but they're really cool guys so seeing some other type of content from them could be great!
Finally, a pair of extra uggbugs around to make the original cast looks even more photogenic!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

muscles like this? posted:

Isn't that the show where it was revealed to be pretty fake-y? Like, none of the customers were actual customers?
Yes, the most comically egregious example that deflated their credibility was having the ***CUTE DAUGHTER CHARACTER*** supposedly fire a stereotypical Desert Eagle .50 conspicuously out of frame, which gun nerds derisively identified as a 9mm handgun from the tiny part visible. This is the supposedly kind of thing that makes mind-numbingly asinine redneck careers telegenic.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Surprising thing about this week's Mythbusters definitely has to be Adam having less of a problem lifting the 150 pound weight than Jamie.
I haven't seen this episode yet because Discovery Canada is always inexplicably behind, but something I've noticed in the most recent seasons is that Adam seems to have improved a lot as a well-rounded dabbler while Jamie stays more or less the same as always. I mean, remember when they did anything remotely competitive (ideas, tests of strength, etc) and Jamie basically always prevailed? That doesn't happen anymore.

Of course, Jamie never embarrasses himself in unforgivably dire fashion with cringe-inducing cornball pirate voices or woeful "singing", so he'll always have that leg up on Adam.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 1, 2012

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I have to wait over 2 months to see new episodes because Canadian discovery is dumb and bad, but I watched the extras for that ep online and the lasagna working passably was a surprise. It also looked delicious!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Yeah that sounds awful. They haven't really gained prestige or credibility within the framework of the show through the passing years - in fact, their assignments and scripting is more asinine than ever.

I think the only time I actually liked them losing their lunch was when they were unexpectedly all wretching during the making of "Earwax Candle", because it wasn't supposed to be the content of the segment. Obviously, they're keen to artificially recreate that whenever they get an opportunity.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I don't mind the episodes so far this season, it was good to finally see them get the JATO done after a literal decade. The results regarding microsleep in the DC episode were interesting too.

Koirhor posted:

so i haven't watched mythbusters in awhile but I am stuck in a hotel room so what the hell right? uhhhh wow they are running out of ideas.
And what's the deal with MTV not playing music videos?!

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 30, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

They should really stay away from those Myths with the B-team as subjects, they have enough longstanding credibility problems with the fanbase as it is (and that was BEFORE the cannonball home delivery).

That said, I think my favorite single memory of them being clowns was when everyone was retching while trying to put together that disgusting little earwax candle. I will always view more of those type of moments.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Putting a small thing between two big heavy bags of unpressurized water in a full scale high impact lateral collision doesn't even seem on paper like it could ever be of any benefit as a safety device as opposed to a hydraulic murder-press. I mean, isn't +850Gs the highest single Buster damage they've ever recorded in a ground vehicle accident scenario?

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 16, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

I've watched every episode of Mythbusters since its inception, and I've never seen them fake something like that cliff descent.
What parts exactly did you think they faked the most? I'm not disagreeing that it was edited in a super questionable manner, but that terror from Jamie is literally the most human he's ever sounded. He can't act that well!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

FogHelmut posted:

What stood out to me was that they were being lowered down the cliff. Adam did a particularly bad job of pretending to hold onto the triple rope they made, and I don't believe for a second he has the strength to do so anyway. And I really don't believe they were actually belaying each other.
I thought so to, they never do anything like that without 2 layers of backup safety harnessing.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

wormil posted:

I rarely watch Mythbusters but you guys have me wanting to see Jamie mortally afraid.
It's pretty astounding, his affected monotone has never broken like it during the entire run of the show. To be fair dangling over a craggy canyon from the height they were dealing with would be totally terrifying to anyone.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

They kind of pointed out the other time he completely freaked out which was the duct tape bridge.
He was definitely shaky and hesitant that time, but he was on the verge of whimpering this time out, fakery or not! It was jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

berserker posted:

Welp. If I'd known that the entirety of Nic Walenda's walk across the Grand Canyon (not actually the Grand Canyon itself) would consist of him yelling "OH GOD PRAISE JESUS, JESUS IS MY ONE AND ONLY LORD" I might have re-thought my viewing choices for the night.
I'm watching a rerun the moment and he does indeed sound like a raving maniac. He just keeps rambling!

• Locked thread