Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
So loving glad they're finally on the ocean. :woop:

And reposted from the last thread right before it ended:

I just picked up Dark Horse's release of Volume 17, which gave us our first glimpse of the invading Kushan Army.
The chapters were released in Japan in 1998, which means... the Kushan Invasion plot has been running for nearly a decade now.

That Muira, he doesn't do anything by halves...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
These waits between chapters are agony.
I miss when I could read three volumes of Berserk in one sitting. :(

Maybe I'll take a hiatus and let the chapters pile up again...

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I wonder if it was always Miura's plan to re-incarnate Griffith? It seems kinda odd that he'd build up to the first Eclipse for 12 volumes then undo it a few years later. It was a good choice, as Griffith is much more interesting doing things on the ground rather than floating around the netherverse as Femto. But is he just Femto pretending to be Griffith? Or did his personality get reincarnated as well?
Also we don't know if he's kept his mystical powers. His powers of persuasion are pumped up, but that's all we've seen.

Think he'll revert back to winged-demon form for the final duel against Guts?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Well, Guts did stir up a lot of different emotions in Griffith - the thought of him was the only thing that kept Griffith sane during his year in the dungeon.

Also, I wonder if Griffith knew that he'd be caught when he seduced Charlotte? It's hard to tell - it was either a spur-of-the-moment gamble, or he did it out of self-loathing due to losing Guts. He seemed pretty resigned to his fate when caught by the guards afterwards.
Not to mention, instead of sucking up to the King and trying to bargain for freedom, he called him a worthless child molester. :v:

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
The way it's going, looks like there's a good chance that Griffith will be the King of Midland by the time Guts & co. get back from Elfhelm.
They'll have their work cut out for 'em...

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Mr. Deathy posted:

Well there's gonna be some big issues to deal with if that's the case. Firstly, no one in the entire group really knows what Guts' goal is or anything about his past (Well, maybe Puck, but I can't recall him finding out), except obviously for Caska but she certainly doesn't count (yet). Secondly, none of them has any reason to dislike Griffith and even if Gutts explained they might not be up for the idea of taking on an entire army just for the sake of his own revenge plot.

I think the story is going to take some big turns at this Elfhelm place. Some of the biggest progression since well....the eclipse? :v:

Well, Puck was present when Guts told Rickert about the Eclipse. But yeah, the rest of his merry band are still in the dark. Chances are he'll start to tell them at some point and they'll stop him and say something like, "Your past doesn't matter, it's the person you are now who matters!" :v:

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Maybe Casca will just drop out of the story for a while, to "find herself" or something like that. I doubt she'll be able to sort out her feelings without a lot of time.

I wonder, though, what effect that Casca's recovery will have on Farnese? She's not totally useless now, with her magical training, but being Casca's caretaker was what helped her become a more empathetic human being. Once Casca can take care of herself, will Farnese be able to stand on her own feet, or will she just feel worthless again?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

GFBeach posted:

Wow. I didn't notice it so much before, but in the latest chapter it's very easy to tell that Guts looks like poo poo. I guess it's to be expected given all that he's been through, but drat. :pwn:

Well, Miura is most likely going to use Elfhelm as a "reset button" for a lot of things, probably including Guts' injuries. Elfhelm is full of powerful mages, y'know... maybe he'll even get his eye or arm back?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Are Band of the Hawk still scanlating Berserk? The last torrent up on their site is Vol. 30... Did they just decide to let Evil-Genius do all the work, or are they just really behind?

EDIT: Also, why does the image quality vary between recent chapters? Some look like newsprint and some look like they're out of the tankobon... does it depend on the person scanning?

Hatter106 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 16, 2007

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

This is correct. I think Zodd explains this in an early volume if I'm not mistaken.

All Zodd does, if I recall, is refer to Griffith's behelit as "The Egg of the King".
But yeah, since we haven't seen any small red behelits since then, it's a pretty fair assumption.
I doubt Guts is destined to have one - one of the main themes of Berserk is a lowly human fighting against those who have been "ordained" by fate.
Of course, you could make the argument that "Guts is ordained TO FIGHT against those who are ordained!" but I think it works better when he's just some guy that destiny took a giant poo poo upon.

It touches me when I think about how well Muira has conveyed his vision of "struggling against fate". Guts has pretty much fought tooth-and-nail every second of his life to stay alive - on the battleground of war & after being Branded. Yet he pushes on through sheer strength of will. He's been severely crippled emotionally, but can still show kindness towards his friends.
I just can't help but admire him.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
You know, since Griffith is supposed to be the villain and everything, when's the last time we saw him do anything remotely evil? I know he's manipulating everything behind the scenes, but still, a little Femto action wouldn't hurt. Or at least a sinister grin. Something.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

-Blackadder- posted:

Just out of curiosity why haven't there been any more Berserk anime episodes made?

I mean I can understand when they first made it originally maybe they didn't have enough money and weren't sure how people would react to it, maybe the initial ratings were low or something. But these days Berserk tops nearly every "best Anime" and "Recommend me some Anime" list or thread pretty much everywhere. Next to maybe Ninja Scroll it's one of the most well known and recognized-as-great anime's out there. So my question is given it's obvious insane popularity and nearly cult classic status why haven't the people who made the Anime or whoever is in charge over there picked up on this and cashed in by making more episodes? I can't imagine at this stage investors would be difficult to come by. So what's the deal?

It's not as popular as you think.
In Japan it was a late-late-night hardcore-otaku show, and they always get pitiful ratings. Berserk was no exception. These shows are forgotten by the Japanese almost as soon as they leave the airwaves (another example: Trigun)
It's closer to the tastes of American fans, but let's face it, the show has limited mass appeal. And while it's certainly popular with teenage guys and horror/action lovers, it's far from the most popular title among English-speaking anime fans.
The manga is much better than any new season could ever be, anyways. The incredibly high level of detail that Miura puts into his art would be dimmed down considerably unless they had a huge budget (which they wouldn't).

And when was the last time that Ninja Scroll was still popular among English-speaking anime fans? A decade ago? Tastes have changed, dude.

Hatter106 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 17, 2008

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Andrigaar posted:

Well, I just finished the first book of that Song of Ice and Fire series. It was sorely lacking in foreground rape and murder, entertaining as it was. Most of the pillaging of women and town was observed from afar, instead of Berserk style eyes bursting from exploding heads and crossing panels.

There was lots of rape and death on the sides of the story, but here's hoping the next three books can sate my urge for gruesome fantasy violence on horseback while Berserk takes another vacation... or just gets too artistically complicated to be drawn more than 1 page a week.

There's plenty of murder and pillaging in the original Conan stories by Robert E. Howard (or the excellent comics adaptation from Dark Horse) and of course the inspiration for Berserk, Guin Saga. :eng101:

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

TheStupidOne posted:

A second trailer aired on Fuji TV about two hours ago. It should be up somewhere within the next few hours.

The second trailer is also in 2.35:1, which lends further credence to this Berserk project being a movie. That makes sense, since there's a very strong chance that Studio 4C has been working on it for over two years. The second trailer has a Zodd shot that's exactly the same as last year's leaked screencaps.

There's also a chance that the studio is being incredibly misleading about this, and that the new "animation project" is nothing but these commercials promoting Vol. 35.
It could be that they just decided to finally use some test footage they had lying around for a couple of years.
It would be an incredibly dickish move on their part, but we haven't actually had confirmation of a new anime series yet. Just the commercials.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Cronus posted:

It's been 12+ years since the original aired. I look at it as a chance to redo Berserk properly with the glaring omissions back in, such as Wyald, SK, Puck and more. There's a lot more material now too. We might get more of the first 3 volumes that were missing, the Godo storyline expanded, Lost Children, the Iron Chain Knights, all of that.

It makes sense to incorporate Puck and Skull Knight into the series, since they're integral to the plot; Wyald and Rosine the fairy apostle are pretty much filler.
I certainly like their arcs, and I don't wanna be one of those "mere filler :rolleyes:" but there's so much real story to cover. I'd rather they just skip to the important stuff.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Zorak posted:

Guts as a murderous wanderer isn't pointless! Keep in mind the main story arc ongoing is largely him redeeming himself from being a mindless monster, You're basically saying "ok, remove the berserk from Berserk".

I get what you're saying. And those arcs make sense when you consider Miura's long-form storytelling. I just feel that unless the animation company is committing to a 100+ episode ongoing series, any new anime should focus on the "meat" of the story, or at least elements of the story most relevant to where the manga currently is.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Not to discount the loss of life, but hopefully Miura isn't buried under some rubble right now...

I know he's a recluse, but it wouldn't hurt to get on the net to let people know he's alright.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Just finished a month-long re-read up to vol. 34, the last few vols being new to me, and all I gotta say is daaaaaaamn. Even being spoiled as to what happens, my jaw was still on the ground the whole time. There's not many forms of media where you can experience a decade-long payoff. I love Berserk so goddamn much.
It's a shame that he's slowing down to one volume every two years, but as long as we get more pages like Giant loving Tree Ganishka, I don't mind.

EDIT: Does anyone else find the Skullknight.net boards absolutely frustrating? I'll pop in occasionally but always leave in disgust. It's mostly due to a few spergy mods with 10,000+ posts, who fancy themselves absolute experts on anything Berserk-related, and chastise anyone who comes up with theories that they don't subscribe to.

Hatter106 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 8, 2011

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

U-DO Burger posted:

Not to mention that the Berserk anime did a terrible job of foreshadowing. Almost all of the supernatural stuff was cut, so when Griffith turned into Femto, I was not thinking about how shocking this turn of events was. I was thinking "Why is this even happening? There was nothing in the previous story that indicated that something like this was going to happen at all." It all felt pretty stupid.

Is this where the "LAST EPISODE OF BERSERK WTF :psyduck: " comes from?

I read the manga first and even though I had the Eclipse spoiled for me, I could still see it coming a mile away. I've never sat through more than a couple of episodes of the anime, it was just so poor compared to the source.

I can imagine the Eclipse coming outta nowhere probably blew the minds of a few 14-year-old anime fans back in the day.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

OnimaruXLR posted:

guys shut up this is relaly important

This trailer confirms Susumu Hirasawa is back

I mean, no one ever said he wasn't coming back, but I was worried :ohdear:

He's just doing the opening theme, the actual score is by Shiro Sagisu (Evangelion).

Also I was on the fence about this movie from previous teasers, but man that's a great trailer. Golden Age isn't my favourite arc but it should still be enjoyable.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

temple posted:

The Golden Arc was good because it was relatable. At this point, the story is metaphysical. That's good for what I think Muira is trying to convey but it creates ridiculous DBZ styled conflicts were no one dies unless the plot dictates it. The minute Guts got that damned beserker armor, the wheels came off in terms of logic.

That's why I say you have to ignore the fantasy stuff and look at the story can abstractions at this point. Guts is human will. What he is experiencing isn't a matter of if he will win because he's no longer human. Guts is an idea and you can't kill ideas with swords. The same with Griffith. You have think about it as what can kill the idea of ambition? What can kill endurance? But I still prefer people doing people stuff because its cooler than philosophical conflict.

Well the world of Berserk is overrun with goddamn unicorns and mermaids right now, so it's a bit of an exercise in futility to ignore the fantasy elements. It's a FANTASY series, for god's sake.

e: honestly folks, the series has been pure fantasy ever since the Eclipse, in 1997. It's only going to get more fantastic from here on out. Maybe it's not the right series for you anymore. There are plenty of historical, realistic stories out there if that's what you're after. But if you're gonna roll your eyes everytime Miura draws a leprechaun or whatever, why are you still reading?

Hatter106 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 15, 2011

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Salsa McManus posted:

I think I have said this before in this thread, but SK is awful. Azaualleus or however the hell he spells that name is insane. I used to read the theory section until I saw him shitposting 24/7 acting as The Right Hand of Kentaro Miura.

Yeah, SK.net is dominated by two or three sperglord mods with tens of thousands of posts, and everyone else gets shouted down or banned. Kind of a shame that they're the "leading" Berserk fan community.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Hahahah as if the burger ad wasn't enough, now Guts and Griffith are shilling for an Online Movie Ticket reservation system.

quote:

In the ad, Guts is frustrated over getting movie tickets, until Griffith explains Kinezo to him.

I can hear the screams of the SK.net mods, and they are sweet.
I wonder if they realize that whoring Berserk out with ads is pretty much the only way you could make high-budget films out of such an adult, niche series...

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Awesome Welles posted:

First movie will be out in North America this fall: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-07/viz-media-licenses-berserk-film-trilogy

I don't really keep track of anime all that much, but isn't Viz pretty decent as far as handling this poo poo goes?

Didn't they completely gently caress up Monster and only one DVD set was released or some poo poo? (which would be pretty loving criminal, it's an amazing show and deserves a lot better)

Also Miura apparently provided some custom artwork for the Blu-ray release:

Pretty awesome.

Aw man, Miura, don't give me a reason to keep a slipcase. I always throw the drat things out, but...

When's it hitting stores in Japan? When can we expect to see it as :filez:

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
FYI guys, the 1st Movie is now out on DVD/Blu in Japan.
It's only a matter of time now...

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Andrigaar posted:

Oh joy, uncompressed BR discs. Not a single pixel was harmed or compromised in the creation of that rip.

Now it's a race between crazy fan translators to have more literal/readable subs. Unless I'm out of a touch and the literal versus localized war ended a while ago.

I'm shuddering at the thought of a new wave of "Gattsu & Gurifisu" translations...

EDIT:

:siren:3 new chapters, starting on June 8th!:siren:

...but they're flashbacks to Guts' youth.
They're never gonna get to the drat fairy island...

Hatter106 fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 27, 2012

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Sakurazuka posted:

Only got chance to watch ten minutes of that stupid raw after spending ALL DAY downloading it. They certainly didn't skimp on the gore though. I'm in two minds about the whole 'cell-shaded CGI' thing, on one hand it lets the camera angles and movement look a lot more dynamic than most anime, but on the other it still looks drat awkward and obviously CGI.

I like to justify it (in my mind, at least) by thinking that going CGI was the only way this film series could be made. It would have taken waaay too much time and money to animate all the giant armoured battles classically.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

codeorange posted:

The movie attempts to cover like 50 chapters in a few hours, so important plot points and character development get stretched so thin that they're barely existent. It's more a compilation of highlights from the manga then a faithful adaption. It's a shame really, because you'd think that an awesome movie is exactly what would be needed to draw in new, more skeptical viewers to the franchise. But instead we get something that's made only for the fans. gently caress :effort:, because everyone has already read the manga, right?

Let's be honest here, these movies were never gonna do gangbusters at the box office. As great as it is, Berserk has a very, very narrow margin of appeal. If you handed it to 100 people on the street, 90% would stop reading at the first rape or beheading. And you can't blame them - you need a strong stomach for this series.

COULD they have made a film that appealed to a wider market? Sure. Would it have still been Berserk, and would the fans have raised holy hell for "neutering" it? You bet your rear end. It's a lose-lose situation.
I think a film that works as a "best of" compilation is the best we could hope for. And I certainly won't begrudge them for spending all that money to appeal to the small Berserk fanbase.
We should be drat grateful these films exist at all.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Roland Jones posted:

Just read all of this series over yesterday and today. Apart from there being way too much rape and attempted rape it was fantastic. Definitely going to be following this now.

...Whenever more comes, that is.

Also, I agree that Luca is awesome, and hope she appears again in a not-horribly-murdered capacity.

Once you see how slow the release schedule for new chapters is, you're gonna wish you spread that 23 years' worth of manga over a longer period, my friend.
Welcome to Berserk Hell.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I worked at a Costco with two co-workers (who did not know each other) had tattoos of the Brand.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I don't think the tonal shift in the series since Guts' new pals is Miura setting us up for another eclipse-esque mass slaughter plot twist. I think it's just a maturation on the author's part. He started his series when he was in college; he's nearly 50 now. People's tastes change over time. I think introducing some levity into Berserk is the best move he's made, otherwise constant brutal nihilistic violence would just be tiring.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Given Miura's glacial pace and detail creep, would anyone really object to Berserk becoming a light novel series at this point? I'm sure he has the story laid out in his head, writing it out with a ghostwriter would give us the entire story in a fraction of the time. And Miura could still do 5 or 10 illustrations per book of key points.

At this point, where drawing the story has threatened his very health, I'd rather get Berserk in prose than no Berserk at all.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Guin Saga, the light novel series that inspired Berserk, is a pretty good example of over-the-top dark fantasy working in prose.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
The anime is kind of crap. The first five novels are available in English at pretty cheap prices; they're quick, pulpy reads and have moody, evocative illustrations.

The later volumes had even better artists, but since the first five sold terribly, the rest of the 130 volumes have snowball's chance in hell of ever being released outside Japan.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Krampus Grewcock posted:

It's too bad he can't just write and illustrate a few novels to wrap up the series, provide nice art, and get back to his real passion of urinating vocaloid children or whatever.

This is probably the most pragmatic path to take. Berserk was based on Guin Saga, it might as well end like it.
Each volume of Guin Saga has a painted cover and frontispiece, and 5-10 b&w illustrations. There's no lack of key visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Seems like the early manga volumes by Dark Horse are back in print, I saw the first three volumes at a Chapters store today, and they're in stock on the website as well.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/berserk-volume-1/9781593070205-item.html?ikwid=berserk+1&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0