Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Hemlock posted:

This question is probably a little off topic but hopefully someone will be able to help me.

I’m currently an Art Foundation student (UK) looking to do a degree in graphics starting next year. This summer I bought Adobe Creative Suite Design Premium hoping to have a bit of a play with the programmes but, due to a hard-drive death on my PC, I have not yet had a chance to install it. The PC is still operating with one hard drive but having suffered several years of a very temperamental machine I am now looking to upgrade and have decided to get a laptop. I understand that the industry choice for graphics are Macs but aside from my comfort with a PC, I’ve already forked out the money for the programmes as a PC format so I’ll be getting a PC laptop- at least for the next few years.

My problem is I’m not really up on the technical side of computers. Obviously I want a machine that will be able to handle me working with big files etc. and wont be slow, but I’m not sure how that translates into specific specs. Given that there seem to be a fair few designer goons I was wondering if anyone could make some recommendations, at least for type of graphics card I should be getting. I don't mind spending a fair bit of dosh as long as I'm getting something that will operate efficiently. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm a junior in industrial design, and I have a PC, even though most of the school runs on Macs. And to be more abnormal, I have an IBM (T-43). I've had it for almost two and half years now, and I love it. However, my edition has much better specs than factory standard, and that's really important for running stuff like Adobe. I have an ATI graphics card (forgot specs, I just know it's better than standard) and 2 GB of RAM, which is very, very nice. I can run Photoshop, InDesign, Solidworks, AIM, and Media Player all at once without any issues. As for processing power, I have a Pentium Centrino, but they've since moved on to Duo Core, which I hear is awesome, and definitely make sure to get Pentium over Celeron. None of this stuff is IBM exclusive, that's just what I have, and there just aren't too many other PCs in my class, a couple Dells and a Toshiba. Just make sure with whatever kind of PC you get, make sure it has good components, don't opt for a cheaper machince just because it's cheaper, and don't get a Gateway (a couple of my friends had them, and they just started wearing out and being weird after a year and a half). And back to the IBMs, one thing I like about them is that they are extremely durable.

Well, just offering some advice based on my experience. I'm no expert, but reserarching your options and taking quality over cost effectiveness is important when you're always running tons of heavy duty crap and working on 200+ MB files. Also, going into graphics, I'm assuming you'd probably dabble in things like Flash and After Effects too, which again would be very taxing on a computer not up to par. Yeah, definitely make an investement in a high powered machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

heatherbomb posted:

I'm a fresh graduate with a BFA in Game Art & Design aaaand.. I can't get a job. Its awful, I'm a walking e/n thread. :/
Looks like I'm not the only one struggling to get in the game industry though, but I'm not giving up.
Right now I'm just trying to get a crappy job on the side so that I can improve my portfolio, because its painfully obvious that I can't get a job with its current state.
I've been applying to jobs outside of the industry as well, but I still can't seem to get anything. I had a lot of teachers tell me that even if I can't get in the gaming industry, knowing a 3d program will definitely get me hired elsewhere, but where are these magical jobs of which they spoke?

Anyway, if there are any of you that are in the game industry, or even those of you who aren't, I'd appreciate it if you could look over my demo reel and tell me what I'm lacking to really get me hired.
I'm almost certain its my 3d skills though, and if I'm right, what can I do that would look good?

My demo reel and portfolio are on my site, http://www.unician.com

Quite honestly, one of your main problems is the portfolio itself. The site feels dated, and there's way too much purple, which I personally don't like as a main theme color. The printable portfolio is honestly pretty terrible, not necessarily contentwise, the the presentation is just bad. I don't like the purple pattern background, mainly because it's kind of grating with the stark white borders. And then there's tacky collage vibe that lacks the artistry your degree says you have. The resume looks rather unprofessional with the border, the font sizing and spacing seem off - headers too big, too cramped at the bottom, and personal logos are typically frowned upon because they come off as pretentious. Your demo reel seems redundant. If it's on your site with everything up for viewing anyway, then what's the point of featuring it in the reel? I'd rather just look at all the pieces for as long as I want and in in the order I want. I also think the Heroes reel could use a bit more. I don't know how extensive you education was, but it would be nice to see something else in there, like environments and more actions and movements than the characters sitting and chilling.

Also, I'm wondering about the content. I don't know what sort of art they look for in the gaming industry, but the subject matter of the content is way too narrow in my opinion, just too much fantasy and emo angel wings and stuff. Branch out and generate some pieces that demonstrate some diversity. Also, I'd personally lose the photography section, because I don't see what's special about them. I'd also be curious to see some real process and concept work other than the uncolored versions of the finished pieces. Generally, I'd try to make it more careerpath-oriented and less personal art gallery.

Meh, those are thoughts on the situation. I don't know much about the game design scene, but even so, it feels like your portfolio is part of what's holding you back. I was unimpressed, and I'm just a student. The CC crowd is pretty good at ripping people's sites apart, so you could probably get some good advice on it.

edit: Wait, why have you provided potential employers a link to your Myspace? I can't imagine that can be good. A portfolio site is definitely not a place to advertise your personal life.

Authentic You fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 12, 2008

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Indeed. I'm two and a half years into design with an IBM, and it's been wonderful. I don't know how they could enforce a requirement like that, but I guess it's there because the MacBook Pro would have all the specs needed for getting through the program, so I guess they just tell you what computer to get instead of what specs you need. I dunno. You could check out the Pro specs and see how your computer compares.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
^I can talk about Carnegie Mellon and Pratt. I go to CMU and almost went to Pratt.

I really don't have any complaints about being at CMU. I'm in the design school, not art, but they both are in the College of Fine Arts, along with architecture, music, and theater. I don't know too much about the art program specifically, but I hear good things, and I've wondered around the art studios before, and everything up there is pretty awesome. Also, the school in general plays a huge role in the whole mindset behind all the CFA programs. Out of all the schools I applied to and visited, CMU was the most grounded in the real world, and applying itself to the real world, being practical and using your skills and your thinking skills to make something of yourself, instead of just learning the skills period.

Another excellent feature is that it is an entire university, and not just an art school. So you have the opportunity to take classes in any field you want, business, engineering, computer science, other science, and all those programs are top of the line in their fields. This is one of the main reasons I chose CMU over Pratt, even though Pratt gave me a huge scholarship. Also, while Pratt is highly recognized in the arts fields, as is CMU, CMU is recognized in all sorts of fields, so it looks pretty awesome on a resume. Other strong points include excellent and efficient administration that makes your life (and your parents') really easy. Also, it's a big open pretty campus and in a really vibrant and safe area of Pittsburgh, and right next door to University of Pittsburgh, which is massive, so there are tons and tons of college kids, and plenty of fun restaurants and such.

About Pratt, since it's just an art school, it's way smaller, around 3,000 students instead of like 9,000. It's very distinctly an art school, so if you just want to be with other artists and not have to worry about other academia, it would be great. While CMU trades some of its creative and expressive angle for technical skills and practicality, Pratt doesn't so much. Again, just speaking for design and architecture, so CMU's art program could be as artsy and expressive as Pratt's for all I know. I'm just going from the differing tones of the schools and the programs that I do know.

When touring, my parents and I walked around the studios and asked students about the school and the programs, and the general consensus was that everyone loved the program, projects, and teachers, but that the administration loving sucked, was terribly disorganized, full of people who didn't know what they were doing, etc etc, rising tuition that just seemed to be squandered, and a good amount of bitterness towards it from a few students. I also found Brooklyn pretty bleak. The campus was a bit claustrophobic, even though it's the only art school in the city with an actual campus with lawns and trees. It's a gated campus, and the gates are locked at night because it's in a dangerous area. It was a bit off-putting for me.

Well that's about it. I could answer any more specific questions about CMU if you're interested. Also, if you come visit the campus, drop me a PM.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

hello_mannequin posted:

Oh my god. Thank you so much for all the information. I do consider my education in humanities and social sciences to be (probably) more important than my art education, so I am leaning towards universities as opposed to strictly art schools. I'm a little irked by CMU at the moment because they've lost my transcripts 3 times now and my school report form once, but I doubt that's representative of their administration. I'm still awaiting my acceptance (or non-acceptance) letter from CMU, but I'll definitely contact you if I get in, because I will be visiting. I really appreciate the offer. :]

Glad I could help. Yeah, the losing transcripts deal would be an admissions issue, and definitely not representative of the whole administration. My sister goes to a UC, and it's a bureaucratic nightmare ompared to CMU. And they lose and misplace way more poo poo than just a transcript (like housing payments, they say they never got it, even though the post office told us it had been received - and we later found out that they went and processed the check anyway without bothering to verify who it was from, aka 'never got it' - poo poo like that).

Anyhow, definitely get in contact if you come visiting. That would be awesome.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
One design book I found particularly useful and interesting is Universal Principles of Design by Lidwell, Holden, and Bulter. We used it for one of our design courses, and it's proven to be quite interesting and useful. The book is set up so that it's really easy to use as reference, defines the principles very clearly, it's illustrated, and just really interesting to browse through.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

KittenofDoom posted:

In my art program you would've been far from being "the old guy". There were people just starting their education who were in their 40's or even their 50's.

I've heard of debt relating to school going well over 80k, and that was in US dollars, too.

It's easy to tell that this is what you want to do, even in spite of all the stuff that's in your way. It's possible to build a career off of freelance stuff with no education, but there is a lot you gain from a degree, beyond just the piece of paper.

I'm self-taught in most of the design programs being used today, but my classes taught me to do things with them I wouldn't have even considered otherwise. There are things like typography, color theory and layout that are better taught than self-learned, too.

The ability to receive and give criticism is an incredibly valuable tool, possibly one of the most important ones I was given. If I was left one my own, I would have kept going down the same stunted path I had started on my own. Having an education helped lift me out of that rut and set me in a better direction.

It's awesome that you have a sense of urgency. I lacked that when I started school and it cost me 4 years of my life. So yes, it'd be great for you to do freelance stuff, but there's a lot that you can gain from a formal education you don't even know about yet. If this is what you love, and it's what you want to do, the other stuff should be trivial in comparison. (It might take some convincing, but make sure your wife is cool with it, too.)

This is pretty dead-on. Doing art in itself doesn't NEED to be taught, but the surrounding things that an art-based education give you are also really really important. I must agree on the criticism bit. Getting ripped to shreds by your professors really helps toughen you up and get some perspective on your work, while at the same time you learn to look at a piece and be able to see why it needs work and how it can improve, and how to express it.

As for doing freelance successfully in the meantime without a degree, network, network, network. Did I say network?

I'm an industrial design major, and all the freelance work I've done has been in either web design and illustration, and obtained through just knowing the right people and being recommended to people they know. For example I happen to know lots of people in the publishing world, my current illustration job is the cover art for a friend's book that's coming out under a major publisher. Previously, I did illustration work for an advertisment campaign for a book under another major publisher, because my other friend does collaborative work with them. So yeah, get yourself out there, make friends and connections, and make sure they know about your art. I'm not at all trained in illustration, or web for that matter, but I still get sweet jobs through people I know.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Hwangin Tough posted:

https://www.m3ta.co.uk

This is my web design portfolio which I would like some feedback on from the perspective of a potential employer
Assuming an employer's perspective, the thing that initially stands out at me is the fact that I do not see a resume and contact info. Even if you give the URL to people you've already talked with or whatever, it's still important to have that info readily visible and available. The portfolio is about marketing yourself, after all, and I see very little of YOU on it, just your projects, so I would have a harder time connecting you with your work.

Hmm, and as for being taken seriously, it's hard for me to say. The designs themselves are basically solid and not that bad, but I've also seen plenty of more impressive web design. For me, front-end web development implies more than just the graphics and look, and in which case, an employer might like to know the process behind these sites, so perhaps describe the systems you've implemented and how the sites work with a bit more detail.

Well, even though I'm not an actual employer or even a web developer (though I've done some freelance web design projects), I hope that helps. And good luck!

Authentic You fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 6, 2009

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
You're certainly welcome.

And some more thoughts about having your contact info/resume on your site, even if it's redundant because you've already given the prospective employer the resume. When you have a portfolio with absolutely no reference to your person (even the page title is just 'Portfolio'), it's really easy for anyone looking at it to dissociate. It becomes just some applicant's online portfolio. But if you restate your name, contact info, and have your resume available, then the potential employer reacts more along the lines of, 'So this is Hwanging Tough's portfolio!' The association will be stronger and therefore more memorable. Right now the lack of contact info and even your name makes it really impersonal.

Another thing I thought of is, when you're in the process of looking for a job position and are on alert at all times, what's easier to have on you at all times, a business card or a stack of letter-sized resumes? When you're talking to industry people outside of a formal interview situation, then it's always nice to give them a business card. You link your site on it, and they they can see (more of) your work, and your resume. And once again, the association is there.

But yeah, having your info on your portfolio doesn't mean for a second you're just soliciting yourself as a freelancer to random people who see it on the internet. Even in freelance you need to refer people to your site, work, and resume first. So really, offering easy access to your resume and reference to YOU, from multiple mediums (printed copy, available online, etc), makes you more memorable and accessible, which may prove helpful in landing you a job.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Have you looked at Coroflot.com? It's basically a design industry job listings site where you can also post a portfolio.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Oh dear god I hate that ad. I just want to see the temperature or the rain forecast, not loving Mentos falling all over the screen. I could never find the close button fast enough. I made a point to never buy Mentos ever because of that ad.

I guess doing sleazy projects for clients like that is part of the game though. I'm in industrial design, and in school we got to know that not all design is cool and awesome, and that you have lots of lovely, obnoxious and/or unsustainable products in industrial design that make you feel lovely designing them, especially since you're making physical items that will inevitably end up in a landfill one day.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
I got into Pratt with a massive unsolicited merit scholarship, and my unweighted GPA was a 2.9. My SAT (old version) was 1380, which was higher than their average. Though another factor could be that my high school was an academically rigorous private school.

But then I got rejected from RISD.

In the end I turned down Pratt to go to CMU, which as a whole is probably more academically focused, but I still got in with my lame GPA.

I think you can make up a less-than-stellar GPA with an outstanding portfolio, good recommendations, good essay, and a general upward trend in your lovely GPA (I started with a 2.4 freshman year and my senior year I had a 3.5). But yeah, if you're going into a talent-based major, they aren't going to give a poo poo if you're good at Spanish or whatever, only that you're not completely stupid and/or lazy.

How academic and unlazy they want you to be can vary though. I've heard that at Pratt, they basically accept anyone who's not a dolt and with a portfolio that meets their specs, and offers scholarships to the people they actually want.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Are you talking about an actual job as an illustrator with a company, or freelance? I have no idea bout getting a real job, as I know nothing about the industry in your area. I do some freelance illustration, and all the jobs I've ever gotten have been through connections and just knowing the right people. Also, the internet is a wonderful thing. I'm in Pittsburgh, and my current illustration client is in Australia. Freelance is great for adding stuff to your portfolio and getting more contacts and work. I have a former client who tips me off about upcoming jobs with big players like EA, though none of them would have worked out logistically.

I'm currently working on breaking into the Pittsburgh game industry, and so far I've made a bunch of connections with people already in, and it's helping out a bunch in terms of learning of jobs that aren't formally listed to what to say in the cover letters.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Deep Hurting posted:

Either would be good, though I prefer the former, depending on the specifics of the job, of course.
The more in-house illustration jobs I can think of are film and game concept art, architectural rendering (which pays the best), and perhaps getting a regular gig with a publisher for book illustrations/cover design, and working with an art consultant to produce commissioned art for restaurants, hotels, private homes, whoever wants art to hang. Though lots of that stuff can be done freelance too.

quote:

Washington state, although I'm willing to move if necessary. I'm somewhat interested in Portland, and while Los Angeles is an obvious place to live for this sort of thing, it's much farther away, so I can't visit it as often as long as I don't live there, and I definitely couldn't afford to live there before locking a job down.
There's a good amount of creative stuff going on in San Francisco, which isn't toooo far away, so you might want to look into companies there, but then again, also absurdly expensive (why I'm not living there now - I'm from SF).

quote:

Tell me more about that, please, keeping in mind that obviously I must not know the right people, because if I did, there wouldn't be a problem (or maybe I do know the right people, but just haven't identified them?).
I don't know, it's just.. knowing people and being in the right place at the right time, talking to people about your work, making an impression so they bring you up when someone else talks to them about your type of work, etc. Print some business cards and hand them out whenever it's appropriate, maintain contact, make friends, put your fingers in all the pies. Even if you do it a lot, actually getting work is still pretty spotty, but the more you do, the more easily you can get more work, because you're always expanding your circle of contacts.

Also, chum the water, as my dad says. Give out tidbits and favors to people, and they remember you fondly for it, and may come back to you later (this is how I got the EA job tip).

quote:

Good for you. Is there some way you can frame this that will make it useful to me?
It's really just a matter of getting yourself out there. Turns out my neighbor (and former resident of my house - still stops by a lot) works as a programmer for one of the Pittsburgh firms, got me to join the local slacklining club he was a part of (a variation of tightrope walking) and a huge portion of the members were also at various game firms or were in CMU's Entertainment Technology Masters program. That was probably more luck than anything, but again, try to get in with the crowd that the people in your desired industry run with.

Sorry for being lengthy, but I've been having a hard time quantifying advice, because so much of it is just stuff happening around you when you poke in the right places. Like the entrepreneurship class I took, since it's such an organic process, the class was much more about how to conduct yourself than what to do.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
I got into Pratt with flying colors with my 2.9 and 1380 (old SAT). But wait.. is that 1490 old math + verbal or is it the new score? If it's the former, congrats, if it's the latter, then you're pretty hosed.

I got rejected from RISD, though. That's super hard to get into. But I didn't apply to any of the others.

However, upward trend in grades is always helpful (mine was like this too), and the portfolio is much more important than grades anyhow. And with the portfolio, you could use some culling. I'd immediately take out the sketch pages, the portrait, and the newspaper thing. I'm no portfolio expert, but maybe replace it with something that really demonstrates your technical command of various media? And photograph your sculptures with better light and fix the white balance. And if you photographed these pieces, I'd adjust the exposure so that coloring and brightness is on par with how they appear in real life. Right now a lot of the stuff looks muddy and dim, a la inadequately lit photography. You need a gently caress ton of light for photographing artwork.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Artistic Monkey posted:

In a separate note, is there something that could start teaching me the basics of html and php and css and such? And by basics, i mean reaaaaal basic.
W3Schools is very helpful for learning about about the basics of HTML/CSS and web scripting when you come knowing nothing.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Cizzo posted:

So ever since the 6th grade (I'm now 22) I've always loved web/graphic design. This was all fine and dandy until the 8th grade when I found out I was colorblind. Not completely colorblind mind you but all I was told when I took the test (the different colored circles and such) and got half of them wrong.

My question is, is there some secret method that other graphic designers, who may be colorblind, use to somehow work around this. I always felt like as soon as I found out I was colorblind that it just shattered that "dream" but I still have the urges to do it.

Advise me oh great designers of SA!

P.S. I don't know what type of colorblindness I am since they never told me. I just mix up purples and blues and reds and greens and some browns. I just have a hard time identifying certain colors.
Years ago when I was in high school, my school held a fine arts day where local artists came in and held lectures and demonstrations about their field of art. One of these talks I went to was for childrens' book illustration, and the artist speaking happened to be blue-gray colorblind.

So of course she was asked about how she got around it, and a large part of her method involved consulting friends and colleagues and documenting successful colors and how to make them (this proportion aquamarine blue, that proportion of violet blue, etc).

Based on that, I'd say that if you establish a method for finding and documenting color schemes, like through consulting with other designers/clients, you'll be fine. Color is only one aspect of many in good web design. A good design in black and white is better than a crappy one in color.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

You did point out some useful things such as the typeface and a miscolored link (Both of which I changed) but I will try to defend my design choice. I understand that you may not like the color purple or the nouveau swirls, but I don't think it's too terrible. I wanted to do something a bit different than the sleek/modern square look I see everywhere. Does the design itself not work, or do you simply not like that particular look?
I can't speak for cheese eats mouse, but the thing about the site design that bugs me is that it's supposed to be art nouveau, but it feels so... heavy and overbearing. When I think of art nouveau (and I adore the art nouveau style), I think of lightness, elegance, and fluidity, fair curves, and soft natural colors. Your design needs more of the above.

I think you could benefit greatly from lighting up the design and letting your work shine through more. All I see are tiny, tiny thumbnails that don't sufficiently preview the work or small paragraphs of text stuck inside this heavy frame of nouveau decorations. Also, I'd cut the fade in the image viewer thing. The image will fade out so that I can see the website in the background, and then snap to the next image. Maybe its just me, but it feels a bit jarring. Oh, and if you can, put the x button in a consistent place, because it changes location with each different sized image.

Lastly, I saw on your resume you wanted to work with Flash and that you knew Flash and Actionscript, but then I learn that your site is built on Wix, which I see is an easy Flash site builder thingy. It automatically makes me wonder if you are indeed capable of building stuff in Flash.

But hey, I think your illustration is pretty cool.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I already took it off the links section and completely overhauled the site. It was good advice and I took it. DevArt was the only gallery I had for many years so I've probably become desensitized to most of the poo poo on there.
Yo, I took a look at the updated site, and I'm really liking it. The simpler lines and lighter colors make it look really open and inviting.

The resume/contact link is really cramped, though.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

putang posted:

Looking for advice so I don't lose my mind:

You said you were lacking in Adobe skills and have been looking for work for four months. Have you gotten any better at those Adobe programs in those four months? In the time you're looking for a job, try to build up your skills. It's awful trying to do stuff when you're unemployed (I've been there and it loving sucks), but it doesn't hurt to try.

If you want practice making graphic design stuff, walk down to the local library or soup kitchen or any non-profit and offer to make them some graphics - a poster, flier, whatever - and then gently caress around in Photoshop and InDesign until you make them something nice. There's probably no money but you're doing something, getting experience, and getting yourself out there, and you can add real-life work to your portfolio.

Also, what the hell goes into a digital media degree? Seeing as you came out not knowing InDesign or Illustrator I'm confused about what it is exactly.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

The Good Professor posted:

I'm currently looking for jobs in testing/QA as I hear that that is a good way to start networking with people in the industry and get some at least somewhat related work experience on my resume. Is this true/is this a good idea/where do you suggest I go to find testing jobs without previous experience? Internet listings for this are pretty sparse.

I'm not in game design myself, but I have a few good friends who are. The general consensus from them on testing is that it's the worst job in the industry and doesn't actually do much for getting your foot in the door. Also, testing is way shittier that a lot of aspiring game designers seem to think. Wanna bash your space marine against the same spot on the wall 400 times so that you can replicate a glitch that sometimes happens?

quote:

Right now I'm planning on going to school in 2012, and am looking at the various colleges and universities in Vancouver, BC where I live. I've heard that with the exception of VFS, most "game design" programs are not thought very highly of. I'm much more interested in design and writing than I am in programming -- though I am learning a little code and intend on knowing basics to facilitate communication and be able to do scripting, etc. Am I shooting myself in the foot if I take a non-computer science program? Can you tell me anything else that will help?

There's a big art/design side to game design - it's not all programming. You'll see a mix of designers, artists, and programmers with varied educational backgrounds at any game firm.

As for 'game design' schools, I hear they're a waste of time and money too. Do undergrad in whatever (maybe design!), and then check this program out. Only seriously legit program I really know of.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Aizen posted:

Ahh crap... That's popped up before, I don't know how to get rid of it. I hope no future employer has Kaspersky :/

EDIT: Can you take a screenshot of what Kaspersky says and send it to me? My email is fyzeng@gmail.com. Thanks!
Have you told your host about this? I had a portfolio site on my friend's shady server long ago, and it got compromised, and my browser was throwing up all sorts of warnings and Google flagged it as a malicious attack site, but because the server was shady, nothing got done no matter how much I whined to the server admin. Or is Kaspersky just being overzealous?

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I have an interview coming up where I need to bring a physical portfolio (due to security reasons I can't bring my portfolio on my iPad... which is the sole reason I got an iPad in the first place so I could cut printing costs and do more last-minute edits :sigh:)

My problem: I'm being interviewed for an interior design position. My degree is in industrial design. How do I skew my industrial design portfolio to be more interior design-y? Should I just emphasize material/color choices I made or what? They've already looked at my current portfolio and still decided to interview me, but I want to give myself as much of an advantage as possible.
Yo, I'm an industrial designer that has worked in interior design! (It was an internship, but still). A great thing about industrial design is that the education, critical thinking, and skills are pretty easily transferable to other areas of design (I'm currently doing web and graphic design). One of the designers at the firm I interned at was educated in industrial design, and he was doing just fine.

I would emphasize pieces that show you can think about things in terms of environment, how your thing fits into its environment, etc. In essence, interior design is designing entire environments. Knowing stuff about materials (especially wood, stone, textiles) is a plus, so is color. Also, you'll be dealing with industrial design items like furniture, fixtures, etc, so in this aspect your background will be helpful. At one point in my job, I was set to designing a lamp shade because the one the client wanted couldn't be ordered in the thousands (the firm did hotels), so I made up something similar to be produced at a factory the firm had hookups with.

Oh, also demonstrate your rendering skills, traditional especially. I got to do a rendering for a restaurant interior and it was awesome. Going into work everyday to dick around with watercolors was pretty nice. My firm produced most renderings traditionally because clients always responded better to them than CAD renderings.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
I went to a top notch design program, and we did a lot of drawing, and the professors told us off the bat to knock off the anime/fantasy/bullshit and actually learn how to draw. You'd get called out if you had "unicorns and other fantasy bullshit" in your class sketchbook.

If the instructors aren't forcing you out of your comfort zone, then they aren't teaching you anything, in my opinion. What's the point of taking drawing classes if you're not learning how to draw stuff beyond your signature stick figures and anime? I mean, does your bf have other drawing stuff like life studies, still lifes, perspective drawing, etc in his portfolio? If the school can't even help their students generate quality portfolios, then it's a sucky school.

Also, when you're visiting these schools, I'd highly recommend breaking off from the canned tours and wander around the studios and talk to the students and look at their work. I way learned more about the schools I was considering from poking around the studios than from tours and meetings with admissions people.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Generally in creative fields, your body of work is the most important. However, a real design degree, from what I've seen, does a lot to set you apart from self-taught designers. For example, a classmate of mine worked a couple of summers at a graphic design firm that specialized in restaurant menus. They employed mainly self-taught designers. But he quickly got promoted above them because one to two years of design school was enough to make him an objectively better designer than many of their self-taught designers. You learn more in design school than just how to make things pretty and how to use software, so yeah, a degree, while not entirely necessary, does help set you apart, especially with how many self-taught designers there are out there.

However, if your fiance really wants the design degree, go to a real, reputable design program. Many state schools have perfectly decent programs. My dad spent some time involved in the hiring process for a top notch interior design firm, and driven, capable people from state schools (i.e. [Midwest State] U.) were selected over people from online/for-profit programs every time. That's just one firm, but I definitely picked up that there didn't seem to be much respect for online/for-profit schools or Art Institute type places (if you weren't phenomenal) in general.

If I were your fiance, I'd go to a design program at an in-state public university over some online thing any day. Chances are the degree from a real university will be the better deal. It could very well be cheaper than some online thing too.

So, direct answers:

1. Technically, no, but a BA in a design field would put her above a lot of the competition.

2. I've personally never heard of any reputable two-year design program.

3. My vote would be to stay away from online stuff.

4. I've never heard of American Intercontinental University before. Google tells me it's for-profit, so I'd stay away.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

qirex posted:

I would consider it nearly impossible to get the level of feedback you need for design from an online school, a big part of it is presenting to groups and collecting live criticism/feedback and being able to deal with that is at least as important as being able to design the stuff in the first place.

A million times this. Crit was a Big Deal in design school. An hour or more of every studio class was dedicated to either group critique or work time where professors would go around and talk to students one on one about their work. Your professor can't grab some tracing paper and red-line your drawing in front of you while explaining proper techniques if he's on the other side of your computer monitor.

My professors were very hands-on, and the program in general was very collaborative. That face-to-face collaboration is extremely important for learning how to work with other designers and with clients.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

uglynoodles posted:

horrible portfolio

I poked around the Futureworks website, and their news section profiled some very capable and talented grads, and if they have industry folks as instructors, there's going to be some good networking.

Even highly regarded programs fail to filter out 100% of the hacks. My design program is consistently ranked top ten in the US, but a couple of my classmates SUCKED rear end. They got into the program, but were asked to leave after the first year. My university, which is top notch all around, has still given degrees in cases that were not deserved/appropriate (like masters to two lazy asses in a new masters program in which it was was bureaucratically impossible to issue a failing grade). It happens everywhere. I guess the question is, is this guy with the poo poo portfolio the norm or the exception? Is it a school where they just let you in, take your money, and showcase the few students with actual promise, or does it have a generally decent student body with some duds?

Have you toured the facilities/studios? What does the student work look like? If it's all mediocre and students are allowed to continue their silly idea-guy poo poo and traced crayon fantasy drawings, then run.

edit: The more I look at this portfolio, the more ridiculous it gets. Like the game idea with Daleks (I don't think those are general sci-fi canon..), and that he credited the crappy how-to-draw books that he traced from was inspired by.

Authentic You fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 5, 2012

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

TigerRose posted:

I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, or not doing enough of, that I'm having such trouble finding a job. I was looking in graphic design, as that's what I did an internship in, had done freelance work for, etc even if it wasn't the focus of my degree and I went to a state school that kind of forgets it even has an art department. But now that I've been out of school for almost a year and a half with nothing to show for it, I don't know if I should just try to find something else, look into another field, anything. Every day I'm stuck working a 12 hour retail shift is another day my internship experience gets farther and farther behind me and gets less and less relevant. I loved school and I like the idea of a masters degree but it's not exactly realistic, especially in this economy and with my background. I just want to stop feeling like I'm doomed to be a useless suburban retail wage slave for the rest of my life.

Anyway, without the E/N, this is my new portfolio: https://www.katiemooreart.com. Any feedback/crit on what (everything) I'm doing wrong (or right, I guess) would be appreciated.

Basically, what pipes! and kedo said. The portfolio alone is a massive turnoff. Because design is so much about presentation and attention to detail, the portfolio itself is a design piece that can be used to gauge your ability as a designer. If you can't design a good showcase for your work, it makes me question/doubt you as a designer.

I do front-end web development in addition to design, so I poked around the construction of the site a bit. I'm guessing you coded it yourself/used a graphical web page editor? One of the glaring issues I saw was that the menu was an image map (hence its unresponsiveness). :psyduck: Did you want to use those non-web fonts? But then you've successfully imported some Google fonts, so.. wtf I'm confused. So yeah, the whole code side construction with the image map and internal scrolling screams 90s, and even though you're not marketing yourself as a web designer, it all says 'not with the times'.

However, there's absolutely no shame in not creating a portfolio site from scratch/using pre-made templates. If you're applying for jobs right this instant, put up your work and info at someplace like Carbonmade and link to that instead of your website. Portfolio sites like Cargo Collective, Carbonmade or hell, even DeviantArt Portfolio instantly give you a clean, easy-to-navigate showcase for your work. In the meantime, you can put together a better self-hosted portfolio. An easy option is to install Wordpress (free, easy to manage, extremely well documented) and find a portfolio theme for it. Here are some cool free ones. If you know CSS, you can very easily modify themes.

As for content, I'd ditch the whole animation section. The average length of the animations is like six seconds, and I don't see the point in demonstrating that you can move some cutouts over a background for a few seconds. Also, you might want to cull some pieces from your art sections, and then combine fine art and other art into Art. Right now, the collection looks very art student. I'd also take better photographs of the best/favorite ceramic pieces you want to include.

Again, sorry if this all sounds harsh - we just want to help.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

TigerRose posted:

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't realize there was such an issue with boxes/margins fluctuating and all that, or the boxes being too small. It fits on my 13" screen so it must look the same on all the others, right? :downs: I'd asked other people for feedback (both well-meaning relatives and friends who should know to look for these issues) and they'd never mentioned any of this, so thanks.

I had been using a Cargo Collective site, not sure I want to go back to it, but the Wordpress thing seems like a good option, since I already have it installed on my hosting and it's a more useful thing to learn to leverage from what I can tell. Considering there was all of 1 web class for me to take in college (this is HTML, this is how you use an IMG tag) most of my background is still squarely in the teenage anime fan sites of my youth...not so relevant any more.

Yeah, that can be a problem with well-meaning friends and relatives. Back in high school, mine all said my fantasy novel was the best ever, but then I dug it up on my old laptop the other day and... :stonk:

Anyhow, Wordpress is great, good to work with, a good web design/development learning tool, and is a useful skill. I've gotten a couple job inquiry callbacks specifically because I have 'Wordpress' on my resume. It's a great CMS for lots of stuff other than blogs. In general, I think designing/building on a database-driven CMS is the way to go. Get a portfolio theme and tweak it, then get a skeleton theme and practice customizing it. Feel free to PM me if you have any Wordpress questions. :)

And yah, it's amazing how dated web classes tend to be. The one offered during my stint in design school was a joke. Just very basic HTML and CSS. The kids who took it produced portfolios that looked good, but were a loving bitch to update. Wanna add a project? Hand-code the new menu link on every single page! Don't want to hand code? Then bloated, table-ridden templates are for you.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

rosselas posted:

I don't think that all of my stuff is unpolished/unfinished.
But most of it is, though. And it looks even more unpolished with your incomplete Carbonmade site as the backdrop. For comparison, go look at this dude's site: http://malingyllensvaan.carbonmade.com/ He was on the top of Carbonmade's Featured Sites list. He's used their site design to the fullest, with a custom header, nice thumbnail images for his galleries, and all his work is complete and is presented well. You, on the other hand, neglected to make a header or type your name in, and you have one off-center category of work. You don't represent your work well. At the very least, find a decent scanner and make quality scans of your sketchbook work, because the grayish, off-kilter photos of those pages aren't doing you any favors and makes even polished, complete traditional pieces look half-assed and unpolished.

Feature only your best stuff. I have a similar problem, where most of my work is in the form of scribbly, incomplete sketches. I have a WP-powered portfolio (that I've programmed to mimic one of CargoCollective's awesome grid layouts because I'm not cool enough for an invite :qq:) and use the blog function as a dump for my sketches, WIP, and other incomplete work. Also ramblings. Speaking of which I need to post more often to it because I have a giant backlog of sketches. Even so, I have enough work to not have to throw rough, half-finished sketches in with the main features. (I'd post a link, but I don't like crossing streams between SA and real life :ohdear:) If you don't have enough polished awesome work, make more. And if you want to show off sketches, create an appropriate outlet for them like a blog or Tumblr you can use in addition to a static portfolio.

Also, stuff like this captioned with, 'These are my best drawings' doesn't make me, a potential client, confident in your ability to produce for me a pro-level, complete illustration. I'd advise removing that piece from your portfolio because it's obviously not one of your best drawings.

Just offering some honest feedback :shobon:. Keep in mind that we're not being dicks, just trying to be helpful.

PS: Yeah, 99designs and other crowdsourcing/contest sites are the worst. Every time you contribute to one of them (or any designer or artist does), you are sabotaging your ability to earn a fair rate for your work. Having a solid portfolio is really important because you use it to apply for one-off projects, contract work, etc, and people will pick you based on previous work, rather than you having to produce stuff you have a very good chance of not getting paid for.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

rosselas posted:

Is it that bad? I got a new Canon LiDE scanner. It scans things in very brightly, so I have to adjust them in Photoshop. I've been
sliding the Brightness setting nearly all the way down on some. I thought it looked better than the original. Maybe I've been overdoing
it. It tends to exaggerate the smudges and stray marks.
I have an old dumbshit HP scanner. It's great for photos and pen and ink, but washes out pencil and watercolor like mad. However, turning down the scanner's brightness by a lot lets it successfully capture all those faint little lines, and then in Photoshop, I can use levels to restore the white balance and keep the details. Also, your sketchbook spreads are definitely photographed. Scan them. If it's too big, scan in pieces and then composite in Photoshop. In general, levels will help you more than brightness/contrast.

quote:

You don't need an invite. You can apply too. If you want I'll invite you. I'm not sure how it all works.

I got mine yesterday. I haven't made much progress on it though because it has a huge degree of choices you have to make, and I got intimidated/stressed out by it. It'll be slow going for me to make something decent, especially since I don't enjoy spending time on design related
decisions (I recognize they are important).

As for the Lord Emery drawing, I included that in my portfolio because I thought it looked cool and because it uses cross hatching for the shading, which I don't do much of. That's about it. If it's going to scare people off I'll take it out.
Aw thanks, but I'm good. Got my WP site up and running just fine, and it has the added benefit of that nifty blogging feature. Also, it's an additional showpiece for my web design/dev.

Anyhow, on the portfolio, you really just have to sit yourself down and put it all together and get it over with. I bought hosting, installed WP, and then sat on a blank 'under construction' site for ages. At the very least, spiff up the Carbonmade site a bit. Add a header, reorganize it, and add custom thumbs instead of the auto-generated one that's chopped the head off one of your figures.

As for Lord Emery, it just does not appear to be on the same level as the rest of your stuff. I went to a portfolio review when I was applying to college design programs, and I had one piece in my portfolio that was okay, but not near the level as my other stuff. I just threw it in because I was low on human figures and it happened to be my next best human figure. The dude critiquing my work just told me to take it out because it was a drag on the rest of my stuff. If you want to show off cross-hatching, make a better piece or show off some cool cross hatch doodles in your sketchblog. Here's the level of cross-hatch ballpoint doodles I'll show off. Even so, this definitely isn't one of my main featured works because I have better, complete pieces for that.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

redjenova posted:

...anyone?
I'll come out and say that I honestly found the site design itself to be distracting and confining and it kind of put me off before I even started looking at your work. It also had some jerky, potentially buggy transitions.

First of all, why is it blue? You'd be much better off with a white or even grey background. Also, there's so much headroom that most of your thumbs are below the fold on my 1600x900 screen and it's possible to miss the self-rearranging thumbs show if you click a portfolio category from the sub menu (which shows up at the bottom of the screen for me). And when the thumbs do rearrange, I get jerky transitions when the scroll bar disappears and reappears. It's just the browser doing its thing, not the coding, but it's still a bit jarring. Also, when you click into a project, the details are boxed in between the huge header, blue background, and the cramped thumbs below, and it's not presented at a particularly large size. On the thumbs themselves, give them some breathing room, and crop them so they're a uniform size or at least have uniform spacing (like how thingies on pinterest display). Oh, and when you're looking at a particular project, there are arrows that show up on the picture, and I click them thinking I'll get to see more work within that project (like the other monster alphabet letters), but instead it just scrolls me up to the top of the page.

fake edit: Okay, JUST figured out how to get to a better, clearer view of an individual project. (Why do I need to click on the thumb AND that little title that I didn't even know was clickable in order to get a good view of a project?)

I'd definitely suggest simplifying the design because the site just gets in the way of the work. Check out the featured sites on Cargo: http://cargocollective.com/favorites I don't have a Cargo site (it's WP with my own custom theme inspired by a lot of Cargo sites), but I spend a lot of time looking at those sites for inspiration.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

ChakAttack posted:

My boss is terrible and notoriously cheats her employee out of money. Incidentally she just spent 30k remodeling two bathrooms, went to London for a weeklong vacation last week, and is going to the beach this week... So she told me she feels like she paid me too much for the logo I designed for her company a couple months ago. So now she is switching me from an hourly rate to a flat fee. She wants me to update her webpage now (mainly doing coding, to be honest, but also some graphic work). All my other web design experience has been personal or for my unpaid internship, so I have no idea what to charge. I'm good and I work fast, but I'm not at professional-level. Any advice what to ask for?

Figure out how many hours the updates will take you to code, multiply those hours by two, and then charge (at least) three times as much per hour as your former hourly wage. Also, provide your awful boss with a strict proposal and contract that says what you will and will not do on the website for that flat amount of money. If she balks (she will), just walk, because your work situation sounds loving awful and exploitative.

Is this some sort of internship or contract-based job? Because what the gently caress.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
I'd say that at the very least, start with option #2. Get a bunch of practice in and demonstrate that you can produce good quality, finished work. Also, get really, really good at perspective, not the type where you draw your little vantage points and use a ruler, but the type you just freehand it because you KNOW perspective that well. Also lighting. And drawing buildings and nature from reference.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Hurr, so I have a question. I am currently double majoring CS/Studio Art at an undergrad liberal arts college. It has been occurring to me that I want a career in art, and I have been considering product design or animation. I don't really have the skill set for either as it's a liberal arts school. I really want to go to grad school after my undergrad, but is that a smart decision for art? If I could do product design, I would want to make products that use technology to help/improve people's lives, especially for disabled or mentally ill people. I have no idea how to jump into this. I asked around and someone vaguely told me to check out RISD, but what are other programs? Does product design sound like the correct major for what I want to do? (I have always loved animation and would do it if it wasn't for the fact that I believe I could help people more by doing a different job :(

Be sure to check out CMU's HCI program: http://www.hcii.cmu.edu/ Seems right up your alley, especially if you're into accessibility and helping people. Many of the current student projects involve applications to help people learn/improve accessibility. CMU also has a product design masters program, as well as many other design/CS/arts related grad programs.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Ksi posted:

I just graduated as a Graphic Designer focused on photography, as such i don't have that big of a design portafolio but i have lots of photos for a photography one.
I'm in Mexico and the job market pretty much sucks, photography jobs are less than graphic design ones and both suck at paying. Everyone asks for 2-3 years experience at least.

Good news is that i'm not married/ have kids/ student loan (yay! public university!)

From what i gathered the ones that pay well are the web designer jobs that ask for html5/css3/javascript/wordpress etc., I have a basic notion of html and took a course on making a basic webpage on dreamweaver/flash (which now is outdated i think), but i have no idea where to start on this dynamic web designer thing and how to make a good portafolio out of it to get a job as a web designer.

I just want to know what should i teach myself to be up to date on webdesign and where to start. What would be the essential thing i should know? Any recommended books/resources for the task? What should a designer know code wise?

Should i make imaginary design projects for my portafolio? I only have a few ones from school which i'm in the process of fixing out so they're more presentable at a portafolio but i will probably need more.

Thanks

If you want to get into web design, the best thing you can do is design (and code) websites. I'm a UI designer working on a browser-based application and I do a lot of the front-end coding/development as well, and while I have a formal education in design, I have no formal training in web development. It really just takes doing. Some tips:

-DON'T DESIGN WEBSITES IN DREAMWEAVER. Code your stuff by hand. Go switch DW's workspace to Coder, switch the view from Design to Code and never look back. The code editor half of Dreamweaver is pretty nice - it's what I use as a primary code editor. However, I never, ever touch any of the 'design' functions. And to me, listing 'Dreamweaver' as a skill on your resume means you don't know jackshit about how to actually construct websites.

-Flash is effectively dead as far as web design goes. Don't even think about making Flash websites.

-If you want to do Wordpress, get into theme development. Install Wordpress locally, download some free themes from Wordpress.org (like Toolbox), open them up and see how they're put together and then make some modifications. Read everything on ThemeShaper and check out the Underscores theme: http://underscores.me/ It's a fabulous foundation for designing your own themes.

-Use Chrome dev tools and/or Firebug to inspect websites. Explore how the HTML and CSS work together. Use these tools to change attributes and see what happens.

-For Javascript, start out by implementing snippets of code on your own site. Check out the CodeAcademy lessons (I've done some and they seem okay - be careful of the third party contributed ones, though).

As for books to read and resources, I don't really know, honestly. The books I read when I got started are all sorely outdated now because this stuff changes so fast. Whichever books you read, make sure that they are new and up-to-date. Try CodeAcademy, I guess. But all in all, I really think you learn best by just doing, once you pick up the minimum basics of HTML/CSS.

And yes, absolutely give yourself imaginary projects to put in your portfolio. Actually, what you can do is make your first project your own portfolio website. I'd recommend finding a Wordpress theme that mostly works for you and then modify it - change the typography, the colors, the margins, etc. Really, Wordpress is great for learning front-end development and how to implement your designs. I think my knowledge of WP helped get me my job - it demonstrates that I can work around an existing back-end and with an API and know enough coding/design to make a WP site look and act like anything, whether it be a blog or portfolio or corporate site.

This is all kind of high-level stuff, so maybe someone else can suggest specific resources.

Authentic You fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 7, 2013

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

PrivRyan posted:

I know this is out of discussion, but what do you gentlemen think about a career in Computer Engineering?

I think it's a fine career, but SH/SC might be a better place to ask about it.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Nessa posted:

I think I can confidently say that I have a solid eye for colour that I've developed over the years. I really don't know what I can do with that information. How can I apply that to other kinds of jobs? What other skills do I need to make a career? "Liking pretty colours" is not a career and doesn't really require any skill. I need to learn how to be good at things besides pretty colours. I know the creative industry is full of very skilled and talented people, which makes it much harder for someone like myself to find a spot in it. I need to have something to offer. Something that no one but me can provide.
There is such a thing as a color consultant. High-end ones charge five figures to tell you what color to paint your house/hotel/office, no joke. I've seen some of these colors, and you can really tell - they work with all different types of light, are beautifully and deceptively subtle, etc. I hear their color recipes can be extremely complex. However, this kind of work is extremely niche and I'd imagine very difficult to get into (at the high end) if you're not already in with the interior design industry. I guess a more accessible starting point for color consultancy would be to get a job at Sherwin Williams or the Home Depot paint/home interior department (because color consultants would need to know a hell of a lot about paint) and/or intern at an interior design firm. Also do lots of painting from life. That's one potential living you can make out of "liking pretty colors".

On the interior design industry in general, you'd probably like it. I interned for an interior design firm back in college, and it was varied, interesting work (when I wasn't doing intern bitch work like copying and collating), and the people working there came from all sorts of educational backgrounds - graphic design to liberal arts, so don't worry about having to go back to school for some overly specific area of design. Drop me a PM if you want to know more about interior design and the interior design industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

FadedReality posted:

I might be moving across the country in the next couple years so the associate's I had planned to start with from the local community college looks like a no go. Its accreditation is regional so I assume I'd have to start over completely.

Regional accreditation is the type of accreditation that real schools use (Harvard is regionally accredited, for example) and I don't imagine you'd have much trouble transferring credits between community colleges. The problem with credit transfer usually happens when you try to transfer credits from a for-profit degree mill/career college (usually nationally accredited, though some for-profit schools have obtained regional accreditation) to an actual university.

As for online art programs, I can't begin to imagine how that would be worth anyone's time or money. Having gone to design school, I can say that having face-to-face interaction with both your professors and your peers is extremely important. It's just one of those fields that doesn't really translate well to an online environment. Even if you can't find a full-blown program where you're going, taking some local classes or finding a MeetUp thingy with other designers would probably be a much better use of your time.