Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Augustus Artorius posted:

Does anyone remember which book it is where someone talks about grabbing time by the forelock? I'm pretty sure it's a Watch book, but it could just as easily be one of the Monks books or even one of the Susan ones.

There's a quote somewhere in that certain book along the lines of 'Grab a hold of Time by the forelock, since she's got nothing on behind' or something.

I'm thinking Thief of Time, when Nanny Ogg's expert services are required, but I can't find anything with Google.

Edit: After a quick scan through this, there seems not to be any mention of the word 'forelock', so who knows?

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 12, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Fishbulbz posted:

Spoilers please, I haven't read Moving Pictures. :(

You have now.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The main story and the main characters of Monstrous Regiment weren't related to anything going on in Discworld (and haven't showed up again since) while the Elves playing a major part in the story of Wee Free Men, along with Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg showing up at the end. My point was that it's kind of ridiculous to criticize Wee Free Men for somehow being disconnected from the rest of the series and then praise Monstrous Regiment in the same sentence.

And for bonus points, Vimes reads something in the newspaper (or maybe Drumknott tells Vetenari) about "the trouble with the Borogravia" in an earlier book. I don't know which book it was in though, but I'm fairly certain nothing similar foreshadows the appearance of the Nac Mac Feegle.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, the next one isn't Raising Taxes?

I actually thought you were taking the piss - I'm a little out of touch.

Wikipedia says that Nation is potentially a Discworld book if it needs to be, but is probably standalone.
Raising Taxes is the next Moist book, which might be after "I Shall Wear Midnight", a Tiffany book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld#Lists_of_novels

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

I haven't been able to find The Last Hero in the few brick & mortars around here, is it not with the regular novels? I know the Tiffany Aching stuff is over in the teen section.

I got mine from the comic book store when noone else had it; they might be worth a look.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Emerson Cod posted:

I wonder, has there been any word yet as to which holiday the Going Postal tv movie will be shown on? All I've been able to find is a vague 2009.

Probably Easter, as that is when the last two have both been aired.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Emerson Cod posted:

I thought Hogfather aired around Christmas? But yeah, I guess Easter makes sense. I suppose I was hoping for it to be a New Years surprise.

You're right, it was christmas for Hogfather, but it was easter here by the time it filtered through the :filez: to me.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Nah. Just his cat's paw with institutional problems. He's done the same with Vimes and war since Jingo. What he remains needed for is keeping the guilds balanced, keeping the wheels of industry turning, and keeping A-M from tearing itself into its component atoms of unreality. Vetinari is a skag, but he's the best.

Hope you've got some make-up wipes ready, tiger.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

ThaGhettoJew posted:

You have an alternate theory?

What, you don't remember what happened to Downey the last time he called Vetenari a skag?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Oogle Boogle posted:

Are there any characters who he has stopped writing about?

Susan hasn't been around for a while has she? Thief of Time in 2001?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Nilbop posted:

If you tell me ToT was 8 years ago I may actually have a heart attack.

Hope you've got your de-fib paddles ready...

Wikipedia posted:

HEARTATTASTIC

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

shadok posted:

They started shooting in May, and most of the casting is up on IMDB.

Jeremy Irons is not returning as Vetinari.

You'd think they'd get a commitment for the next mini as part of signing up for the first one.

Although if the replacement is the guy I think he is, he'll do a pretty good job and not have a gay lisp.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Vimes has fancy and goofy powers. For example, he can say "Come in, Fred" before Fred knocks on his office door. He wields the magic of dark sarcasm. For god's sake, he has the ability to tell his way around the city just by feeling the ground with his feet. If that's not a fancy and goofy power, then I don't know what is.

And Detritus too!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Just walk in, eye the clerk up and say "De chelonian mobile" in a hushed voice. They'll know.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Sophia posted:

If I ever create a band of any sort, it will be called "The Potatoes of Defiance".

As long as you've got your potato, everything will be alright.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Just got back from a pub quiz. One of the questions was which Lord lent his name to the formalised rules for boxing and I put down Fantaillier :(

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Guitar_Hero posted:

See how they rise up, rise up, rise up...

... arse up, arse up...

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

The Chair of Indefinite Studies, the Lecturer in Recent Runes, the Senior Wrangler, the Dean, the Bursar, and the Librarian are all awesome and I would hate to see them go.

Would you say it would make you go totally Bursar-poo?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

King Carrot gets crowned and runs off, with Moist becoming Regent in his stead?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

And with a bit of luck the guy playing Vetinari won't be nearly as effete as Jeremy Irons was.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Unfortunately, eating the arse out of a dead mole seems not to have slowed the progression.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Born agoon. posted:

Don't worry, we don't do that either. The monarchy is not as powerful as you'd think.

Plus we get awesome book covers. :colbert:

Blasphemy! You'll need to kiss it twice this year when the Royal rear end does the Christmas rounds.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Good versions and legal versions tend to not be the same thing in my experience with ebooks.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

Aww hell yes, Watch TV series. Great stuff, but I have some concerns about casting. Namely, I don't believe there to be any actor, living or dead, grubby enough to convincingly portray Nobby Nobbs.

Compo from Last of the Summer Wine (if he were still alive)

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Staggy posted:

I can totally see Vimes trying to arrest Blind Io/Death. Just as I can totally see Carrot persuading him to give them community service.

And sentencing them to godding/harvesting souls as punishment.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, that was the original printing of Eric. That's why the current novelized version is so short; it's missing all the Kirby illustrations, like reading Last Hero without the pictures.

It's long out of print now. :(

Is this not it?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Sounds like some Midsomer Murders shenanigans.

Because it doesn't have any ethnics in it?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Once you've finished them all, go back and re-read them and read all the future-plot lines and event references he has salted throughout the earlier books (like Borogravia being mentioned in Thief of Time before appearing as a warzone in Monstrous Regiment)

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Joramun posted:

Good Omens is one of my favorite books of all time, but I have never read anything else by either author. Can someone who is familiar with both of them tell me how much of the book is Pratchett and how much of it Gaiman, and specifically what elements? I'm trying to get a feel of whose style/themes/ideas/prose of the two I'd enjoy reading more of.

They've said themselves that they can no longer tell the difference entirely. For Gaiman you could do worse than picking up some short stories like the collection "Smoke & Mirrors" or for something a little lighter "The Graveyard Book".

Pratchett in general is a lot more farcical and punny to Gaiman's mysticism and allusion if that helps any.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Tarezax posted:

I remember it being phrased as "how the water gets in and the poo poo gets out".

Does every city have a King of the Golden River?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Jedit posted:

Hersheba. It's an equal opportunities joke.

Oh Jesus Christ, really? How many books has that been mentioned in that I've never caught it? I'm most of the way through Jingo again, and I'm sure it's been in there.

I was sitting here thinking "How do you not get jellybaby?"

^^ What up buddy? ^^

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

penguinmambo posted:

Anyone else assume the Devices the dwarves apparently find once in a while in deep rock are the kind of tech mentioned in Strata?

Or relics like Thing from the Bromelaid

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oh hey, voices from Rob Brydon before he was famous? Cool!

Yep and he absofuckinglutely hated it; says in his autobiography that it drove him spare recording it.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Alhazred posted:

He did voice acting for Discworld Noir touhgh, which is also a really good game.

Welp, that's what I get for not fact checking. It was indeed Noir he was referring to.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Do it.

A while back when it was really crazy at work, I almost had a complete breakdown due to the end of Diggers.

Together, I think they're my favourite work by Terry.

VVV I have, I bought the compiled Bromeliad from Book Depository :)

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 9, 2012

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Where do you live that the libraries are well funded enough to turn away free books in reasonable condition?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

If nothing else, talk to the library about alternatives. The Red Cross here in NZ collects books for a big sale once or twice a year; hopefully the library could suggest an alternative if only to prevent books being destroyed when they could still do good.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Why is it like half a year from the UK to the US release? Have they done that before? The only Discworld book I've bought on release is Snuff and I'm pretty sure I would have remembered having to wait half a year.

I guess it just takes a long-rear end time to teach spell check to ignore the missing U's and to not replace all the Z's with S's.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

davestones posted:

Did you get that the wrong way round? Superfluous U's 4 lyfe :britain:

Nope, I meant teaching the spell check to be wrong for the US edition

Also Commonwealth buds 4eva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Welcome to the way buying books by US authors in the rest of the world has been for all time. Suck it up.