Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Any Mazdaspeed Miata owners here ? I am in the market for a car now and there is one at a dealer near me. 2004 with 28k for 13,980. I have never seen one in the wild, and that price doesn't seem too bad. I read they are really generous with the turbo though, but there are mods to smooth the power out when it kicks in. I want to have some fun, but I don't want to kill myself with it either. Is that a real thing or people just being too nitpicky ?

Trying to decide between that, a mariner blue 90 with 74k miles for 5k, or an RX-8 we have at work. Both of them are going to need a roll bar, but the NA will likely need the timing belt changed and some other stuff too. Even after that it would still be cheapest though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

beatdown posted:

The 90 sounds overpriced unless its absolutely mint. The rx8 vs mazdaspeed is pretty difficult, they are very different vehicles. You may be able to find a nice NC in that price range too.

Generally speaking, how much is it worth ?

Also I think they sold the RX-8 over the weekend too, oh well

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Wouldn't the turbo only kicking in at higher RPM be better for gas mileage or is that largely irrelevant because it gets good gas mileage anyway

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

2 grand for a Miata with a hard top is really good since the hard tops generally cost half that alone

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

destructo posted:

If anyone wants a 90-93 MSPNP that's been installed for 3 weeks, let me know. $550 shipped, comes with original box/etc, along with GM AIT and vacuum hose.

in advance: Phone, I know, I know.

edit:

That is really cool

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Phone posted:

gently caress. life.

Dang :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

blugu64 posted:

It's good to be back to small town Texas for the holidays. :toot:

Trucks :allears:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I took a 6-speed GT out for a ride at work today and it didn't dissuade me from wanting a Miata, although I'd have to go find an 06 not a new one. It was weird being inside because the interior is so different than the Mini, but after a while I'd get used to it. There is also way more room inside than I thought, so maybe an NB wouldn't be too small?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Sockington posted:

I have a 2002 in the driveway. I sat in a 2011 last week when I popped by the dealership. The room is about the same, but I definitely prefer the seats in the 02.

I was under the impression that NB's were pretty cramped inside

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Is the NC engine are durable as the older ones are supposed to be? If I do switch I am definitely supercharging

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Phone posted:

I think the Cosworth kit went from "poo poo yeah, poo poo rules" to "oh god your engine is going to explode". It's in the MZR family and seems to hold up to abuse fairly well, but it's no B6/BP which was made for turbocharging.

My experience with the NC is that the interior is fairly nice and laid out, and it handles just like a stock NA with some torque and acceleration behind it. A lot of people bitch about it because it's not the pure Miata experience, but it's a perfectly capable car. (see: Grand Am Street category)

Wonder if I would be better off just finding an MSM and modding it than getting an NB and trying to sort through the SC stuff. There are a bunch of kits but reading the forums no one agrees on anything about them

My main draw to the NC was the DSC cause I am a sissy. The keyless driving was nice but unnecessary and there aren't much differences aside from the PRHT which I did not want anyway.

Also, why does Mazda make their 6 speed 6th gear a higher ratio than the 5th gear on the 5 speed :argh:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Phone posted:

The MSM is a horrible car to start to modify from because you have to remove all of the factory turbo stuff to get anywhere useful.

What is your opinion on the supercharger kits available for an NB?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

First Time Caller posted:

Do you live in California?

No: Turbo.
Yes: Move somewhere else.

But I like superchargers :smith:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

I had been looking only at black NB's, but I found a blue 99 10AE with low miles and a hardtop for under 10k :ohdear:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Do it.

Dooooooooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I'll at least go check it out since I have nothing else to do this weekend

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I seriously considered an NB for the ladyfriend but I'm not so confident in her ability to drive a stick. I'm hoping when I flip the truck I can pick one up for myself.

This whole having a garage and driveway thing is going to get expensive.

My biggest hesitation is having never driven RWD for more than a light drive around the block

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's cake. I went from a long line of FWD cars to my Cherokee and now i have the Lightning and it's no big thing at all.

What about no ABS?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

oRenj9 posted:

I don't miss it one bit.*

* Ask me again next time someone pulls out in front of me though.

I try to avoid this by letting people go, or staying far enough back from the car in front of me that if they slam on the brakes I have enough time to safely slow down without having to do it myself.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

My Lightning has ABS so no big deal.

Yeah but all these Miata's I'm looking at don't :ohdear:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

aventari posted:

ABS is for pussies

I fully admit that I am a sissy

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

So far the only luck I'm having finding a black car with ABS is MSM's. I'm not really opposed to it, but you all say it's a lot of work to make worthwhile. From looking around it seems like an intake and exhaust+downpipe will free up a bunch of power, and I doubt I'm going to want more than that for a while

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yessssssssssssssssssssssss, join the MS club.

DO IT.

I did look at MS 6s the other day and that may be a backup plan :)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Flip up headlights rule

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Sockington posted:

So my 2002 with the 6speed, factory Enkeis, and ABS would be a sought after combination?

If that was black or blue I'd be super jealous instead of just jealous

I'm having a hell of a time finding a black 6speed with ABS.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

I have a black '99 with Torsen and ABS, but I lack the enkeis and a 6 speed. I had a chance to drive a 6speed, and honestly prefer the 5.

My mini is a 6 speed and I like it a lot :shobon:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

heh you think those are heavy, the stock wheels on my mini are like 24lbs each

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

leica posted:

I worked in a Miata specific shop for a few years and drove tons of Miatas, NA and NB, turbo'd, SC'd, ITB'd, etc.

The NB is more refined, a better daily driver and just feels more solid overall. I always said in comparison to the NA the NB feels like it has a fixed roof due to all the extra bracing underneath. The NA feels more "raw" and is more fun pushing to the limit. Looks are subjective obviously, I like them both, but the NA has more of a classic styling that I like a bit more.

I'd take either depending on what deals are to be had. I'm going to be looking at a one owner '01 NB for $3500 here pretty soon, it looks immaculate in the pictures, but I'm still crossing my fingers. This could be a HUGE steal.

What do you think of the NC?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

And how many of those cars run???????

Two. But the fact that both are Mazdas is amusing :v:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The place I got my cooper s from last year has a 99 w/ a hard top and ABS with 84k on it for $8,700. I don't like that it's red, and I think it's a little overpriced, but the place is really close so I'll stop there for a minute on my way to go look at this S2000 :black101:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Sockington posted:

16x6.5" at 18lbs: My SE anchors.

My 17's weigh about 25lbs each :smug:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

How much of a red flag is a 5-speed swapped 10AE? I know some people like the 5-speed trans better, but my thought is to use this as a way to knock the price down

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

So you wouldn't let that scare you off the car then? It still has the hard top and the price is good, which is why I'm inclined to ignore it. I wish it was not out of state so I wouldn't have to go do far to check it out though

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

How much more over typical miata pricing would you pay for a supercharged car? There is a 97 with a BRP charger near me for 7950, which is more than I think it's worth, with 73k on it and it looks pretty clean body wise. Around here that would probably fetch 5k no problem without the SC

I think I would do 7 but I don't know if they would budge that far.

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 19, 2012

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

What's the word on poly suspension bushings for Miatas? They are well regarded on Minis but looking on m.net people complain about them a lot. The fact that they are good on my car but people still complain about the noise or whatever leads me to believe they are good and worth getting and people are just whiners.

Looking at getting an NA or a cheap NB and just doing all the suspension stuff, stiff engine and diff mounts and poo poo for now. Turbo or something somewhere down the road

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Is a roll bar necessary if you are not going racing?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If you can put an SR20 in a Miata yourself then you can do a custom turbo job as well, which will be just as good or better and cost about the same for way less work.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So in the time since I posted that I passed out and my buddy went and looked at it and he said he hates how small the car is, "miatas are gay" etc etc. He didn't drive it, he just went and looked at it. Thing is, we still had made an appointment to go drive it tomorrow so since I have the morning off I'm gonna go drive me a Miata.

That's a good price for that car. Similar Miatas here are like 6 grand or more :(

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Well I better buy it!

I agree!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

He just responded and said minor dings, no rust, no accidents. I'll try and go see it ASAP.

I should probably just offer his asking price, or slightly lower. Even if I didn't keep it I could easily sell it for much more running.

Do it, for a non rusty NB that is a steal. Engines aren't hard to come by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Someone here has done a 1.8 swap before right? Is it as easy as people make it out to be? There a 1.6 for sale with a hard top at a good price and my friend has an extra 1.8 set up with a torsen that I could probably buy off him.

This is all theoretical till I know for sure what happens with my car but trying to get an idea so I can act quick. Are d2's any good on miatas? The reviews I've read people seem to like them