Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hello fellow high schoolers from the year 2000 who are having their mid life crisis. I'm not having a mid life crisis but I have been thinking about a Miata for a summer car now they my life is on track

Here's my issue, I'm 6' and not tinder 6' like really 6'. I had issues.in a 2000s civic SI where my head rubs on the roof because there's a sunroof.

I just got in an 04 Miata and it was like a clown car. Head rubs on the 'headliner' on the convertible roof. If I scoot forward 2 notches I can tilt back enough to not rub hair on the roof. But then I can hit my hands on my knees while steering.

Is the 3rd generation soft top going to give me about an inch on the roof height? Is there any hope for a Miata for my Giant body.

Non Miata chat: My wife wants a sporty convertible (I'd be okay with a 90s cabriolet) and an stook isn't really in the budget at double a Miata. And I feel like an MR2 (not the Spyder gently caress those) is going to be more clowncar than a Miata will be.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Okay I'll keep an eye out for a local NC I'm not really 100% in the market currently and prices are high due to it being June + car price inflation A scuffed 60k mile 2004 that I looked at was 13k which seems a bit on the high end unless I get some free air freshener and floor mats especially as it approaches timing parts maintenance window.

I'll look what seat mods give more room.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 1, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not girthy and if I keep a hat on if the top is up I'm good I think. I expect the top will be down most of the time but I live in the northeast so can expect rain enough on weekends etc. Where I want a comfortable top up position too.

I'd like a Miata because it's in the sweet spot of price and reliability (Except for maybe 3rs gear). I'm going to see if my friends that have an NA will let me take theirs out for a weekend or something to get the full experience of driving a bit.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Does the NC have a tilt wheel standard? Telescopic might not be as big of an issue if I could have gotten the wheel up a little higher. Or I just say fuckit and go with whatever and just deal with the head issue with the minor amount of time the top is up.

Found a local 07 hard top so will give that a try this week maybe

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 1, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ I live in the northeast USA where the climate is temperate rainforest. Today was 80 during my drive in and now rainy and 60 on my drive home, rain happens and I'd probably pick a Miata to drive in the rain over the minivan. I'm 6' with 34 waist and some lanky arms.

I think ND is outside my budget and I'm not
super into it's styling. The NB/c is kind of where my heart is. For my long rear end arms im more inclined to not worry much about telescoping out, I usually keep my wheel pushed in for the most part unless I'm on a long drive and I adjust just to change position.

How are the auto vs manual transmissions? My wife could at one point drive stick and I'd like a stick but may go for auto because I doubt she would drive a stick..

I am heading to the folks that have the 2007 hard top to see how I fit and I'll keep an eye out for an 08 soft top manual of my dreams. I'm mostly in the market for one next year unless I get a good deal on one I'm looking at locally. But also understand I may have to go south for more selection

Someone said NC2 for the better transmission is that both auto and manual? NC2 is 2008 correct?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Welp looking like I fit in the 2007 they have on the lot. I'd prefer a soft top over the hard top they have. I'm still getting some knee rubs on the steering wheel when switching to the brake which is something that a steering wheel spacer would move the wheel to alleviate.

Im going to assume there's more or the same room than the hard top.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oof

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hi, I'd like to submit my application for club entry.

guy selling was super cool.. I got it for a discount kuz he needed cash yesterday.. Most of the money parts were done last year he road tripped it a few times, guy needed to sell kuz hes' got too many projects and just bought a house.

new timing&water, Soft top, Tien coli overs (1 needs to be replaced but he handed it to me). Plugs coils, ball joints, shifter rebuilt, trans and diff fluid done, windows both work (1 motor replaced recently.

Body is decent but is 30 years old.. it's still in "cruisin" shape. no rust in trunk or rockers.
Came with a box of parts. 4 wrapped stealies, he had an SC kit but I'm already on the verge of sleeping on the couch tonight.

Airbag light gets cranky on bumps but I'm not sure if I'm even keeping the OEM wheel

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

po is stopping by tomorrow am with the wheel lock wrench I could have him toss.it in the back of the garage. I juat can't drop the $$ on it, I wasn't really expecting to buy a Miata this soon but the price was a fire sale.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I mean I wouldn't buy a car that's been wrecked.with cheap work done either. I wouldn't consider myself picky.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Recommendation on where I can get good touch up paint? Smurfette has a bunch of spots i need to prep and or touch up before they turn to rust

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sounds good. I have some larger spots that will need more than a syringe. Gunna need some model paint brushes.

Body will never be top quality, but don't want the fenders to ruat off because the had some small chips.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Read and understand all paperwork.
Tell them they have to knock off $5/min you have to spend listening about their 4,000 warranty and simonize extreme kote ceramic high tex protect.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah tats a good price for an HT NC so not surprised it went fast..

netaJew is corrrect NC's are Timing Chains

Miatas are nice.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Everyone is asking too much for miatas. 8k seems okayish if it had zero issue but totally depends on your areas market.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Canna Happy posted:

Third day of owning my Nc :( Little girl thought she could park in front of me without parallel parking and tagged my fender/bumper/hood/wheel. Miat is cursed.

oof that sucks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Park in front without parallel parking? So she just drove straight into your Miat? :/

Some people should not be allowed on the roads.

MIatas are invisible so probably just thought it was like an open space :p

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

Is it at least just the one body panel?

Unrelated: are NC soft tops powered, or is that just the hard top?

I think that's just trying to make sense out of terrible drivers. My mom was once driving down a one way road in a Grand Cherokee and someone to her right suddenly just decided to wing his car across two lanes of traffic to make a left turn.

oh no drivers are poo poo.. but invisible cars are even worse.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's clean as hell but 220,000 miles is a bit of a turn off. A more experienced person can chime in but 300k is probably around the max you could expect without an engine rebuild if it's got all of it's service done.

Service internal is 60k miles for that timing belt so you have some but not a lot of time

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The first rule of convertible ownership is door locks are a myth.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Miata's hold a lot of poo poo even with the top up. Yesterday I filled it with all kinds of poo poo for auto-x: 10x10 pop up canopy, camp chair, tool bag, 5qt oil jug, cooler backpack with a gallon of water and 2 Nalgene bottles, helmet, magnet numbers, Tire filler, inverter, and a bunch of other random poo poo.

I love that I can stick a 10x10 canopy AND a miata in the parking spot and fit. (I had parked next to my camp but then someone parked there when I went in for tech

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

It's cold again here and man I forgot how noisy the seats are in this thing when they cold. Like sitting in a bowl of rice crispies lol

Mines in a garage next to an s2k. Won't come back out until the snow and salt monsters go away.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 23, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

People in the states would be pissy if we had MOT but I wouldn't mind it honestly. Most of our inspections are like.. Dois it have check engine light (based on vehicle age), does it have brakes that exist, does it have a suspension, do lights work? Okay you passed but we found a tear in your windsheild wipers so you can pay us 50% more for them or go get them and get reinspected for a net zero save. I live in a "commie" state that actually checks poo poo, some places only have smog in specific cities, some don't do any inspection, or only when the vehicle is sold/bought. There are a lot of cobalts with framerot riding around my northeast state because "will the frame crack when going over pothole" is not a criteria.

I do however think that some of our inspections are bullshit and over-reaching. the environmental impact of an evap flap or inefficient cat when teh repairs are more than the value of the car are probably much smaller than crushing a car and forcing someone who may not have the capability to get another vehicle to do so.

Miata news: Got my NRG hub and QR, need to shop for a smaller wheel.. 330mm good for a tall not very fat goon?
Next steps is also order up my clutch kit, looking to maybe go stage 1,any recommendations? No clue what future holds for power adders, maybe a small turbo/sc if I can sneak one on without also having to dick around with a 3rd party ECU

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 14, 2022

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think the only issue with doing the Hard dog rollbar is your own height, I've never heard anyone failing with that rollbar.
If your head with helmet is over the bar you're not going to pass. You'll need a racing seat bolted to the floor or to foamect the NA seat to reduce overall height.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Voltage posted:

I'm only 5'10" so I think i'll be fine - probably won't get a racing set... yet. I still want this to be a summer car my wife will still want to drive. Funny enough the rough suspension bothers me way more than it bothers her - go figure.

I'm 6" and would need to foamect at the very leaset. I'm looking into actually getting a racing seat if she decides she can't drive stick because when doing autocross my arms get sore right quick trying to keep me from sliding all over.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm miata shopping so I have something to get around in while my wife is at work that isn't a motorcycle, can I post craigslist ads here

https://humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/7571557040.html

Factory hard top is worth 1500-2000 depending on condition.
I'd check the metal behind those side skirts to make sure they're not hiding rocker panel rust. That thing looks pretty clen and well taken care of I would buy for 5500 americabux
edit: provided they dont' ask you to provide any google codes, or pay for a driver etc etc.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 3, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nah man that's about right. poo poo I had a dealership out here asking 12 for one with poo poo paint body issues and way higher miles. It went off to auction because it never sold.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How's your antenna hole?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

it's almost get miata out time!!!!
ordered up new pads and rotors, rear slide pins and boots since my rear brake feels like it's hanging. Avoiding having to get rear calipers as theyr'e like $100 per side which is 2x the cost of the front ones.
Also up on deck for when I get back from vacation.. new wheel and seals for top since front ones leak when driving in the rain.
After that it's clutch time. I'm debating the F1 lightened flywheel but some have said they're not built to great tolerance and murder the pilot bearing if not done perfectly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TheBacon posted:

I drove the miata to work today top down bud! Doesnt matter that it was 50°, as long as the suns out!

needed a little rain to get rid of all the salt on the roads first. I always have the top down it's got heat.. I got a jacket.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

On my list is seals.. I have a 2 year old top but the seals by the window drip on my lap when I start or stop

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

if any of you NA people dont' have better door bushings, I'd highly recommend 10 mins to fix and make a BIG difference

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nice...

I'm actually ordering the FM exhaust today or tomorrow. I have a magnaflow but it's just too fuckin loud for my middle aged rear end when we're in cruise mode.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So adding a cat this week did a great job at reducing headache fumes from entering the car while sitting at res lights etc. Since it is a high flow cat it didn't really do a whole lot to reduce the exhaust sound which is kind of annoying after 30 or so mins.

Me: buys new FM exhaust system for Miata
Later
Me: the New exhaust will be quieter so you should be a little happier with that too .
Wife: oh the loudness wasn't really that big of an issue or it didn't bother me that much it was just the smell.

Welp.. I still think im putting it on since the magnaflow is pretty annoying at 3-4k. If it wasn't a convertible it would be fine but with the top down at cruising speed it's kind of annoying. Zipping around town and to work is fine for 30 or so mins but after that i gets grating.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Can still hear it over the radio.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Really? I ordered a cat-back FM exhaust for an NA and it shipped for free.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Also if fumes are entering the car I'm assuming you're riding top up. Are you aware the Miat is a convertible and should be driven top down as much as possible?

Top down.. no cat I'd get that 'rich' smell when at stop lights.. with a cat it's all gone so all good, stoplight was the only issue.

I'm 6' so yes.. the top is down around 99% of drive time.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

FM exhaust is on. Took about 2 hours to remove old exhaust and install new one with only me.

Much quieter cruising at speed. Still sounds nice on the go pedal.

I was a little afraid for a few min that it was quiet as heck when cold but opened up after a few miles.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Yeah, the Cravenspeed ones are delrin (I think) and $70, and that seems like a bit much for what they are. But if they provide a noticeable difference in feel, I might be tempted to make an impulse purchase.

Yeah I got whatever was $13 at moss.. tossed it into all my clutch parts as a 'oh yeah I've been meaning to get these '. $70 would not have been a purchase. That's 1/2 a clutch kit.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Installed a little LED voltmeter in the car a while back and glanced down at it on the way in to see I'm getting just over 12.5v running where it was previously 14.5v. Parts cannon fired because the battery is barely 3 months old.

Also acquiring new PCV valve and grommet in an attempt to rule out a potential reason why I still have an oil leak.

Car problems suck poo poo.

i mean generally older cars have issues that need replacing (not sure how old yours is)

Did you verify your volts with not just the mysterymeat volt meter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

it's also real good to spend 20bux and get one of them lovely amazon endoscopes so you can see what's going on in tight spots easily